March 29, 2024, 01:13:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Country legend Sonny James, singer behind 'Young Love,' dead at 87  (Read 10615 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: February 23, 2016, 11:35:55 PM »

February 22, 2016, 5:43 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/country-legend-sonny-james-dead-87-article-1.2540357

Country fans with an ear for history have reason to sing the blues: crooner Sonny James, a rare artist to notch 16 consecutive No. 1 singles, died Monday.

He was 87.

James died of natural causes at Alive Hospital in Nashville while surrounded by family and friends, according to his official site.

The “Young Love” singer earned the nickname, the Southern Gentleman, for his affable reputation. Though not as well known outside the genre as contemporaries like Merle Haggard, Johnny Cast and George Jones, he earned his place in the Country Hall of Fame for a consistent run from 1953 to 1983 of 72 records that made the Billboard charts.

Born James Hugh Loden on May 1, 1928, in Hackleburg, Ala., the budding star started his strumming on a homemade mandolin made out of a molasses bucket, according to The Tennessean. He kicked off performing with his four sisters in a family band called the Loden family, which became a staple of local radio.

It wasn’t until after he returned from serving in Korea in 1950 that he became serious about his music career. Using a childhood nickname, Sonny, for the stage, he took advantage of the fledgling medium of television, including regular visits to the “Ed Sullivan Show” to cement his stardom.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 11:38:35 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXACqJoPWw&app=desktop  Only the Lonely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNCal03_YEE    Running Bear

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 05:30:03 PM »

a great singer

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.