March 28, 2024, 11:52:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Va. Senate Race Heats Up Over Flag Burning  (Read 4749 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: June 28, 2006, 12:09:59 PM »

Va. Senate Race Heats Up Over Flag Burning
Jun 28, 12:04 PM (ET)

By BOB LEWIS

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Republican Sen. George Allen attacked his Democratic challenger's opposition to a flag-burning amendment, and James Webb retaliated by calling Allen a coward who sat out the Vietnam War "playing cowboy at a dude ranch in Nevada."

The statement by a senior adviser to Webb, a decorated veteran and former secretary of the Navy, went to extraordinary lengths to question Allen's fortitude, even repeatedly using the middle name the senator detests and never uses, Felix.

"While Jim Webb and others of George Felix Allen Jr.'s generation were fighting for our freedoms and for our symbols of freedom in Vietnam, George Felix Allen Jr. was playing cowboy at a dude ranch in Nevada," said Webb strategist Steve Jarding in the statement Tuesday.

Allen adviser Dick Wadhams called Jarding's comments pathetic and said they raise questions about Webb's fitness for office.

"They're saying we questioned (Webb's) patriotism, and that's a lie," Wadhams said. "We just raised a legitimate question about whether he supports a flag amendment or not. How is that questioning his patriotism?"

The rhetorical crossfire began after an Allen news release noted Webb's opposition to a proposed constitutional amendment that would allow Congress to ban desecration of the U.S. flag.

Allen voted in favor of the amendment Tuesday evening when the measure failed by one vote to get the two-thirds majority required.

The news release by Allen's campaign said Webb's opposition to the amendment shows he is beholden to liberal Sens. John Kerry, Ted Kennedy and Charles Schumer, who all voted against the amendment.

Within hours, Webb lashed back, calling Allen's news release "weak-kneed attacks by cowards."

"People who live in glass dude ranches should not question the patriotism of real soldiers who fought and bled for this country on a real battlefield," Jarding said.

Webb left the Republican party over Bush's handling of the war in Iraq. He has written novels informed by his Vietnam experience and a recent non-fiction book "Born Fighting."

Allen is a first-term senator mentioned as a possible 2008 presidential candidate. While he was a student at the University of Virginia, Allen worked summers at ranches in the Southwest.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20060628/D8IHAHHO1.html
MominTN
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:17:44 AM »

Man the Republicans are really getting desperate....feeding tubes, abortion, gay marriage, and now flag burning.  Just stir up the emotions and give us electronic voting systems that cannot be audited.  That's their plan.
While you are concerned about whether 4 flag burnings last year should be punished, I'm concerned about whether our government is going to stop the sale of America to foreign corporations.  In the trade agreements our government is making, foreign corporations can sue our government for passing legislation or making decisions which hurt their business.  The case goes before a military tribunal made up of anonymous foreign attorneys who decide if we, the taxpayers, should pay them for redress of grievances for example like when we do not allow the sale of Canadian cattle because of mad cow disease or other foreign businesses that pollute our environment with toxic waste or foreign businesses that hire workers illegally that break our laws.  These agreements take away the authority of our government and put foreign tribunals over the will of our own elected government.  This just goes to show you that the current administration cares nothing about our Constitution, and only uses it as an excuse when it supports their view.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 03:12:32 PM »

The topic of this thread is Flag Burning, not Trade Agreements.  MominTn I notice you have nothing to say on the topic but only make comments on your perception of what you claim trade agreements are doing.  Maybe you should make a thread on that subject.

I believe the Flag of a Nation, any nation, should receive protection under the laws of that nation as it is a symbol of the entire nation.  It is recognized internationally and to desecrate it is to desecrate that nation to be best of one's ability.  Citizens should not take advantage of the benefits provided and afforded them living in a nation while in effect creating a visual image of the destruction of that same nation.

Further, the burning of an American Flag on U.S. soil is sufficiently upsetting to many as to violate the terms of peace and the memory of those who died fighting under that Flag as to make it a provocative action.  Not acceptable behavior in a civil society.  JMO.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
MominTN
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 03:20:08 PM »

I think we have so many more urgent problems, and I believe this is being brought up at this time before the election in November to get votes for those Senators who have done little for this country other than talk.
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 07:38:48 PM »

Mom in Tn ... maybe you would like to enlighten me as to any Senators that have done anything?

Wait, let me guess ... The Democratic have done everything and the Reps have done nothing?

Votes have been brought up to see where people stand on issues. Instead of just mouthing off in a negative fashion and not having the guts to back up what one pontificates about with a vote.

I thought the dems wanted a time line exit strategy out of Iraq? Funny how they did not vote for it.

Sad that you don't think flag burning is important. The very symbol that represents this country, the symbol that people fight and die for ... let alone what drapes the coffins of those brave soldier that give up their life so that you may have a voice.

Yup, not important at all. Why don't you ask a soldier if they think its important.
MominTN
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 09:26:15 PM »

Quote from: "Red"
Mom in Tn ... maybe you would like to enlighten me as to any Senators that have done anything?

Wait, let me guess ... The Democratic have done everything and the Reps have done nothing?

Votes have been brought up to see where people stand on issues. Instead of just mouthing off in a negative fashion and not having the guts to back up what one pontificates about with a vote.

I thought the dems wanted a time line exit strategy out of Iraq? Funny how they did not vote for it.

Sad that you don't think flag burning is important. The very symbol that represents this country, the symbol that people fight and die for ... let alone what drapes the coffins of those brave soldier that give up their life so that you may have a voice.

Yup, not important at all. Why don't you ask a soldier if they think its important.

Each Senator will have to defend their own votes.  That certainly isn't something I'm going to waste my time on except when I decide who in TN I'm voting for.
The flag is certainly important, and draped the coffins of my father and my granddad.  However I will not be swayed one second by some Senator who brags about a vote against flag burning unless that includes a vote for arresting those who change the words of our national anthem and wave Mexican flags in our face while they demand citizenship.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.