March 28, 2024, 07:29:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7/7/2016 DALLAS TEXAS, DEADLIEST ATTACK ON POLICE SINCE 9/11/2001  (Read 4218 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« on: July 08, 2016, 07:16:37 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/08/us/deadliest-attacks-on-police/

Dallas shooting is deadliest attack for police officers since 9/11

By Madison Park, CNN
Updated 6:50 AM ET, Fri July 8, 2016

(CNN)Five Dallas police officers were killed in the deadliest incident for law enforcement in the United States since 9/11, according to statistics from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.

A total of 11 officers were shot at a protest that took place Thursday against police brutality.
The names of all five deceased officers have not yet been released, but they served in the Dallas Police Department and the Dallas Area Rapid Transit agency. DART tweeted that it was grieving the death of Officer Brent Thompson, 43, who joined the agency in 2009.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/dallas-police-ambush/all-sudden-you-ve-seen-them-just-fall-witnesses-recount-n605721

All of a Sudden, You've Seen Them Just Fall': Witnesses Recount Dallas Horror
by HASANI GITTENS and ALEX JOHNSON

Witnesses described the ambush of 11 Dallas law enforcement officers, five of whom were killed, as surreal and horrifying Thursday night.

Dallas police said they believed two snipers opened fire during a demonstration downtown over recent police shootings in Minnesota and Louisiana.

"I didn't see anybody else get shot, just the cops. I saw cops getting shot, right there in plain sight," Cortney Washington told NBC Dallas-Fort Worth in the chaotic aftermath of the initial gunfire.

"While we was running, like, they just kept shooting," Washington said. "We didn't know where it was coming from."

A witness who didn't give his name told MSNBC that his group was making a second lap of the event when gunfire erupted.

"We heard shots, we smelled gunpowder, and that's when everything got really intense and surreal," the man said. "We just started to run and grab kids."

A woman who also didn't give her name told NBC Dallas Fort Worth: "We were leaving, and when we turned, there was cops. They were patrolling. Then, all of a sudden, you've seen them just fall."

A DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) police officer receives comfort at Baylor University Hospital emergency room entrance on July 7, 2016 in Dallas, Texas. Ting Shen/The Dallas Morning News / AP

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 07:23:38 AM »

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/dallas-police-ambush/protests-spawn-cities-across-u-s-over-police-shootings-black-n605686

Dallas Police 'Ambush': 11 Officers Shot, 5 Killed During Protest
by F. BRINLEY BRUTON , ALEXANDER SMITH and PHIL HELSEL

Downtown Dallas was in lockdown early Friday after snipers shot 11 officers, five fatally, during a protest over deadly police shootings of black men elsewhere.

Three people were in custody and a fourth suspect exchanged gunfire with authorities in a parking garage at El Centro Community College into the morning, Dallas Police Chief David Brown said.

NBC Dallas Fort-Worth reported the fourth suspect had been "neutralized" at around 2:45 a.m. (3:45 ET). Earlier, he had told police negotiators that "the end is coming" and that "there are bombs all over the place in this garage and downtown," Brown said.

It was the deadliest day for law enforcement since 9/11.

President Barack Obama, who was in Poland for a NATO meeting, condemned the "vicious, callous and despicable attack."

"I believe I speak for every single American when I say that we are horrified over these events and that we stand united with the people and the police department in Dallas," the president said.

In what Brown described as an "ambush-style" shooting, at least two snipers fired from an elevated positions on police officers minutes before 9 p.m. local time (10 p.m. ET).

"We believe that these suspects were positioning themselves in a way to triangulate on these officers from two different perches in garages in the downtown area, and planned to injure and kill as many law enforcement officers as they could," he told a news conference — noting that some victims were shot in the back.

Other suspects might still be at large. "We're hopeful that we have got everybody but we don't know that for sure," Dallas mayor Mike Rawlings told NBC's TODAY.

He said the suspects in custody were "being pretty tight lipped" but their motives were clear. "It's simple ... they wanted to kill police officers and sadly they did."

Four of the five slain officers were Dallas police, and the fifth was a Dallas Area Rapid Transit officer. A civilian was also wounded, authorities said.

Around 800 people were at the demonstration, and around 100 police officers were assigned to the event and the surrounding area. The shooting occurred after the demonstration ended and as a march was taking place.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:26:28 AM by texasmom » Logged

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 08:14:59 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/FoxNews/photos/a.184044921335.134777.15704546335/10154426805496336/?type=3&theater

Fox News
15 mins ago  ·

The cover of The Dallas Morning News after the nation's deadliest attack on police since 9/11 took place late last night. — in Dallas, Texas.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »

Micah Xavier Johnson

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas-county/breaking-shots-fired-and-officers-down-at-downtown-dallas-protest/266881573

Suspect identified in deadly Dallas police shootings

WFAA Staff , WFAA 12:08 PM. CDT July 08, 2016

DALLAS -- The sniper who police say opened fire on a peaceful justice rally through downtown Dallas, targeting police officers and killing five, has been identified.

Fourteen people total were shot. Two were civilians. DPD has identified the suspect as Micah X. Johnson of Mesquite. The rally was part of a protest of officer-involved shootings taking place across the nation Thursday night.

The shots were fired as the march was moving down Lamar Street near Griffin before 9 p.m.

"We've got a criminal investigation going on and our number one job is to make sure the citizens of Dallas are safe," Mayor Rawlings said Friday morning.

Dallas Police Chief David Brown said Johnson was killed after a long standoff with police. Negotiations were underway when Brown says Johnson told police he was angry over #BlackLivesMatter and was mad at white people.

He wanted to kill white people, especially white officers, Brown said.

He also mentioned "the end was coming" and that he was "going to hurt and kill more" officers. He said bombs were planted all over the garage and downtown.

After negotiations went sour and gunfire was exchanged, Chief Brown says officers had to use a bomb robot to detonate the area around the suspect and kill him.

The Dallas Police Association announced the fifth officer had died at about 1:45 a.m. One DART officer and four Dallas police officers were killed.

The officers have been taken to Parkland Hospital and Baylor Medical Center.

The first DPD officer to be identified is Patrick Zamarripa of Fort Worth. He was a young father and war veteran.

Brent Thompson, 43, has been identified by DART as its first officer killed in the line of duty. He had worked for DART since 2009.

DART says the three other officers injured are expected to recover. They have been identified as Officer Omar Cannon, 44, Officer Misty McBride, 32, and Officer Jesus Retana, 39.

Mayor Rawlings reiterated Friday morning that a second suspect, a female, was arrested at about 11:30 p.m. She was reportedly in a shootout with Dallas SWAT officers near the garage at El Centro College.

A suspicious package was discovered near that suspect's location and the DPD bomb squad headed to the scene. No bombs were found.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 10:17:49 PM »

http://www.fox4news.com/news/171734655-story

All officers killed in Dallas shooting identified

By: FOX4News.com Staff
POSTED:JUL 08 2016 11:18AM CDT
UPDATED:JUL 08 2016 09:25PM CDT

DALLAS - The 5 police officers that were killed in Thursday night’s ambush shooting in downtown Dallas have been identified.

A DART police officer, 43-year-old Brent Thompson, was fatally shot during the deadly ambush. He is the first ever DART officer to die in the line of duty.

Patrick Zamarripa, 32, was a five-year DPD veteran and served three tours in Iraq with the Navy, according to the Associated Press.

Michael Krol, 27, was a metro Detroit native who has been a DPD officer since 2007. He previously worked as a sheriff's deputy in the Detroit area.

Sergeant Michael J. Smith, 55, was a 7-year U.S. Army Veteran, and gave 28 years of service to The Dallas Police Department. He leaves behind his wife of 17 years and two teenage daughters.

Lorne Ahrens was shot by a sniper as the peaceful march was coming to an end. He was rushed to Baylor Hospital where he later died.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:24:52 PM by texasmom » Logged

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.