April 27, 2024, 04:27:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZUZU RENEE VERK, 21 ALPINE TX MISSING 10-12-16 Remains Found  (Read 102207 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2017, 11:15:35 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=713255025472329&set=ecnf.100003635138114&type=3&theater

Zuzu Verk
January 12, 2016

Justice for Zuzu!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 10:53:44 PM by texasmom » Logged

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2017, 11:32:54 PM »

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Blog-Evidence-at-the-scene-of-body-found-consistent-with-Zuzu-Verk-412780733.html

Blog: Verk family embraced at Alpine prayer vigil

Prayer vigil in Alpine

Police: Evidence consistent with Zuzu Verk

Posted: Sat 11:59 AM, Feb 04, 2017  |  Updated: Sat 8:22 PM, Feb 04, 2017

ALPINE -- We are updating this blog with the latest information following today's arrest of Robert Fabian after a body was found.

Lori Verk at the prayer vigil in Alpine

7:45 p.m. Update: Community members embrace Lori and Glenn Verk at a prayer vigil in Alpine.

7:30 p.m. Update:
According to the sister of Robert Fabian police had a search warrant to pick up shovels and hand tools, pitch forks, and any other tools used to dig or remove soil or natural ground.

"This is where my children live, whether people want to believe me or not, I would never do anything to jeopardize that. It's always been clean and safe for them," said Carrillo, Fabian's sister.

7:00 p.m. Update: The scene where the body was found at the shallow grave has now been cleared.

5:40 p.m. Update: Law enforcement is now searching through different vehicles at the home of Robert Fabian's sister, according to a CBS 7 reporter on scene.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2017, 01:28:09 AM »

http://www.newswest9.com/story/34428530/ex-boyfriend-of-zuzu-verk-speaks-on-recent-developments-in-case

Ex-boyfriend of Zuzu Verk speaks on recent developments in case
Saturday, February 4th 2017, 10:06 pm CST
Saturday, February 4th 2017, 10:09 pm CST
By Chelsey Trahan, ReporterCONNECT

Zuzu and Mason Kelton (Source: KWES).
KELLER, TEXAS (KWES) -
Friends of Zuzu Verk in her hometown of Keller have been following the case just as much as her friends in Alpine.

Zuzu's ex-boyfriend, who still lives in the area, says he is devastated by the recent developments in the case.

"I know all the things that make her, her. To know that someone was let in to know those things and something as horrible as this could have happened," said Mason Kelton.

Kelton met Zuzu in 2014 at a halloween party. He knew immediately, she was special.

"She was really bubbly. It was really funny. The party ended up getting busted and a bunch of us had ran through the backyard to jump a fence and my pants got stuck and they ripped. She helped me over the fence," said Kelton.

After talking for a few weeks, they became a couple, but eventually broke up. Zuzu transferred from the University of North Texas and moved to Alpine to study at Sul Ross State University.

The two lost touch, but Kelton says just days before she went missing the two talked and caught up. Then on October 12, he heard the news.

"I was worried that she had taken the wrong path, either gotten lost, fell, broke her leg, got attacked. The last thing that popped in my mind was that Robert had done it. The only thing in regards to Robert that she had mentioned were slippery and up and down," said Kelton.

In those almost four months, Kelton kept up with the case despite being 500 miles away. He says he's touched but not surprised about how many people are praying for Zuzu and her family.

"To be honest, I don't feel very much. This has taken a toll on all of us. I know that time heals all wounds. I'm going to continue to bring her will into my life and love people the way she did," said Kelton.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #203 on: February 05, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/joshua.stephen.180/posts/1853438468209866?match=I3p1enV2ZXJr

Joshua Stephen added 4 new photos.
23 mins ·
Wagon Rd sits west of Alpine, TX deep in the mountains of West Texas. This area is very remote with only an occasional vehicle passing by. An area with what appeared to be a shallow grave is surrounded by small trees. #zuzuverk

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1853437691543277&set=a.1709864362567278.1073741840.100006311910917&type=3&permPage=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1853437771543269&set=pcb.1853438468209866&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1853437808209932&set=pcb.1853438468209866&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1853437858209927&set=pcb.1853438468209866&type=3&theater

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #204 on: February 05, 2017, 01:06:18 PM »

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Human-remains-found-Friday-in-route-to-Dallas---412824933.html

Human remains now in transit to Dallas for identification

By DeAnn Lopez | Posted: Sun 11:30 AM, Feb 05, 2017  |  Updated: Sun 11:36 AM, Feb 05, 2017

ALPINE -- A Brewster County Sheriff's Deputy left town around 11 a.m. Sunday with the human remains that were found Friday morning, according to Sheriff Ronnie Dodson.

The remains are being taken to the University of North Texas in order to both identify them and find additional evidence.

Sheriff Dodson hopes to have a positive ID by either Monday or Tuesday.

CBS 7 News will continue to bring you the latest developments in this case.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #205 on: February 05, 2017, 07:47:17 PM »

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/412826373.html

Zuzu Verk's Family: We will be forever changed, but not ruined

By Matthew Rist | Posted: Sun 12:19 PM, Feb 05, 2017

ALPINE -- Family of missing Sul Ross University Student Zuzu Verk have released a statement in light of the recent break in the investigation. The family told CBS 7 in an interview Friday that they believed the discovery of unidentified human remains near Alpine was likely Zuzu.

Today, police sent the remains off for official identification.

"As our family awaits the likely news that our worst fears have been realized, our sorrow has grown alongside a sense of relief from the constant state of not knowing. Zuzu has been a bright light in our lives. It has been our greatest challenge to go forward these last months without her joyous laugh, fierce idealism and heart-melting smile, knowing we may all never have them again. We could not have maintained our strength without the comforting embrace of our family, friends and community," the statement reads.

"Lori, Miles and I are forever grateful for your calls, notes, hugs, homes and more. We will be forever changed, but not ruined. We appreciate your respect and time as we begin the healing process. As we carry on, we look forward to the day we witness justice delivered for Zuzu."

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Flowers-now-lye-where-the-shallow-grave-was-found-412836973.html

Flowers placed where the shallow grave and body were found

Posted: Sun 5:29 PM, Feb 05, 2017  |  Updated: Sun 6:38 PM, Feb 05, 2017

Brewster County -- According to Alpine Police the spot where the shallow grave and unidentified body were found are now covered up with tree branches and brush, and flowers have now been placed at the site.

The body that was found in the shallow grave has been sent to Dallas for an examination and should be identified either Monday or Tuesday.

Photo of where the body was found / DeAnn Lopez

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #206 on: February 06, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »

02/06/17 UPDATE: Remains thought to be those of Zuzu Renee Verk were located on Saturday, February 4, 2017. The remains have been sent to the University of North Texas Health Science for positive identification. Please keep Zuzu's family and loved ones in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. We pray that Zuzu gets justice for this senseless murder.
http://wp.me/p7cBjs-4XF    Texas Equusearch - TXEQ

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #207 on: February 06, 2017, 04:42:06 PM »

From the video:  Additional charges are expected "soon".

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/zuzu-verk-robert-fabian-remains-arrest-identified-missing/401158949

Human remains identified as missing student Zuzu Verk

Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson and Alpine Police Chief Russell Scown announce that remains found Friday belong to missing woman Zuzu Verk.

WFAA.com Staff , WFAA 4:08 PM. CST February 06, 2017

Human remains found Friday in a shallow grave near Alpine, Texas have been positively identified as those of missing college student Zuzu Verk.

The remains were identified via dental records at the Southwest Institute of Forensic Scientists, a crime lab in Dallas County.

Verk, a 21-year-old Keller woman who was studying biology at Sul Ross State University, went missing on Oct. 12 of last year.

Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson said it was the news officers were expecting from the moment they arrived at the scene where remains were found Friday.

"Without giving up too much, when we walked onto the scene immediately

"Knowing what we knew about the case -- which we can't reveal -- when I walked up there, I just knew," Dodson said. "I had to call the chief and said 'I think we got her here.'"

Dodson said he believes Verk had been buried in that spot since she disappeared nearly four months ago.

Zuzu's boyfriend, Robert Fabian, was arrested in connection to her disappearance Saturday morning, less than 24 hours after the remains were found. Alpine Police Chief Russell Scown told News 8 Friday that the investigation was leading down a path toward arresting Fabian, but that the discovery of the remains expedited the arrest.

Fabian faces a charge of tampering with evidence by concealing or hiding a corpse. His bail was set at $500,000 when he faced a judge Monday morning. Additional charges are expected, police said.

Police also announced Monday afternoon that a second arrest had been made in the case. Chris Estrada, a friend of Fabian's who communicated with him the night Verk disappeared, was arrested Monday in Phoenix.

Estrada was initially a person of interest in the case but was considered a suspect after the remains were found near Alpine. Police say Estrada had recently relocated.

Arrangements were being made to bring Estrada back to Texas.

He was arrested for DWI last month in an unrelated incident.

Fabian's family members are still considered "persons of interest," according to Alpine Police.

A memorial service for Verk is scheduled for Thursday at Sul Ross State University.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #208 on: February 06, 2017, 06:43:02 PM »

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/412939683.html

Sul Ross State University statement on Zuzu Verk

By Stephanie Bennett | Posted: Mon 4:00 PM, Feb 06, 2017

ALPINE -- The body found just outside of Alpine last Friday is confirmed to be missing Sul Ross State University student Zuzu Verk.

Sul Ross State University President William Kibler released this statement:

We grieve the loss of our friend and fellow student Zuzu Renee Verk, as events of the past weekend have brought a tragic closure to her disappearance in October of this past year. We extend our heartfelt condolences to the Verk family, with the assurance that the university and the community family will continue to provide prayers and active support.

Zuzu's death affects all of us as well. Counseling and Accessibility Services (Ferguson Hall Room 112 or 432.837.8203) is standing by with counselors available to assist students, faculty and staff in this grieving process.

We thank the Alpine Police Department, Brewster County Sheriff's Office, and all other participating law enforcement and emergency personnel, as well as the countless volunteers -- many from Sul Ross -- for their tireless efforts in the search for Zuzu.

Despite our sadness, let us remember the smiles, energy and zest for life that personified Zuzu. She embodied characteristics that represent the best in all of us.

Plans are underway for a memorial service for Zuzu to be held at Sul Ross State University on Thursday, February 9th at 6:30 p.m., located at the new outdoor amphitheater between the Warnock Science Building and the Lobo Village Residence Halls. The Verk family announced that in lieu of flowers they would appreciate gifts be made to:

Zuzu Verk Memorial Scholarship Fund in Natural Resource Management
C/O SRSU Office of External Affairs
PO Box C-114
Alpine, TX 79832

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3k-xsXWzWc

Watch live Alpine Police say human remains found there are those of missing student Zuzu Verk

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/E3k-xsXWzWc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/E3k-xsXWzWc</a>

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #210 on: February 07, 2017, 12:31:50 PM »

the boarder patrol is close by
i estimated road spot,remains found, from the aerial imgs, in the news
if you click details, its about (6.9 m) from alpine to wagon rd.
and from wagon rd to boarder patrol (6.6 mi)

https://goo.gl/maps/Cb13LJgEQJq

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #211 on: February 07, 2017, 04:53:38 PM »

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/northeast-tarrant/article131231869.html

Zuzu Verk went to boyfriend’s for ‘romantic dinner.’ Then she disappeared.

Zuzu Verk, 22, went missing in October and her remains were found near Alpine last week.

BY RYAN OSBORNE
rosborne@star-telegram.com

ALPINE
The remains of a missing Fort Worth woman were found “together with” plastic painter drop cloths that matched those bought by her boyfriend the day she disappeared in far West Texas in October, according to an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by WFAA-TV.

Zuzu Verk’s remains were found last week in a shallow grave near Alpine, where the 21-year-old was a student at Sul Ross State University. She went missing Oct. 12.

After her remains were found, Fabian, 26, was arrested on a tampering with evidence charge, accused of concealing a corpse.

Fabian’s friend, Chris Estrada, faces the same second-degree felony charge in the case. Estrada was arrested Monday by police in Arizona, where he recently relocated.

Fabian’s arrest warrant obtained by WFAA says Verk came over to his apartment for a “romantic dinner” and massage on the night of Oct. 11.

They began to argue over an ex-girlfriend of his, Fabian told police, according to the affidavit. The argument grew “heated,” Fabian said, and Verk left his apartment between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. to go home and take care of her dog.

Fabian initially told investigators that he stayed at his apartment the entire time Verk was there. But when asked why a neighbor saw him leave, Fabian admitted that he drove to a Dairy Queen about 3 a.m. “to think about his relationship with Zuzu,” the affidavit said.

When he returned, Verk was still at his apartment. He escorted her out and watched her leave, he told police.

Fabian’s downstairs neighbor later told police that he saw Verk’s vehicle still parked outside the apartments about 4 a.m.

About 6:15 a.m. the same day, a woman reported that Verk’s dog was loose and running around outside her house in a green leash. Verk’s brother later told police that she always used a red leash to walk the dog.

Suspects’ whereabouts

Fabian’s affidavit said he called Estrada twice about 3:15 a.m. on Oct. 12, after his date with Verk, and then continued to stay in contact with his friend “throughout the day.”

Estrada told police he went to Fabian’s apartment later that day to paint a table. They decided to drink alcohol instead, the affidavit said.

Electronic data obtained through a “remote computing service” later traced Estrada to Fabian’s sister’s house about 9 p.m., the affidavit said. From about 9 p.m. to 10:15 p.m., Estrada was traced to Guzzi Up, a pizza restaurant where Estrada said he and Fabian stopped to get a drink.

From about 10:15 p.m. to 10:20 p.m., the two stopped by the Dollar General store, where Fabian bought three painter’s drop cloths, according to surveillance footage.

The two friends then went back to Fabian’s sister’s house until for about 20 minutes, the affidavit said.

From about 10:40 p.m. to midnight, Estrada was back at Fabian’s apartment, according to electronic data. From about midnight to 12:20 a.m., Estrada was “at or near various commercial dumpsters in the area,” the affidavit said, before returning to Fabian’s sister’s house.

After that, Estrada went to a friend’s house.

‘Don’t ask questions’

The friend opened her door and “observed Chris acting strange” and looking “very bothered to the extent that it scared her,” the affidavit said.

When she asked Estrada what was wrong, he told her, “I don’t want to get you involved. Don’t ask questions.”

She asked him if anything was “newsworthy,” the affidavit said.

Estrada shrugged his shoulders and said, “If it is newsworthy, I didn’t do anything. I’m OK.”

When Verk’s disappearance became public on Oct. 14, Fabian told a friend, “If I know a really big secret and two people know it, then the other has to be dead,” the friend alleged, according to the affidavit.

Fabian then told his friend that he was joking.

Fabian later asked his friend if he could use his computer to delete certain Facebook posts that “did not look good as he was a suspect” in Verk’s disappearance, the affidavit said.

Police searched Fabian’s apartment on Oct. 14-15 and found no sheets or pillow cases on his bed. Investigators found one of the three painter’s drop cloths but the other two were missing, the affidavit said.

Fabian remained in custody in Alpine on Tuesday with his bail amount set at $500,000.

“We anticipate additional charges soon” for Fabian, Alpine police Chief Russell Scown said in a news conference Monday.

Several of Fabian’s relatives are also considered persons of interest in the case, Scown said, adding that more arrests “will eventually” be made.

Ryan Osborne: 817-390-7684, @RyanOsborneFWST

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/northeast-tarrant/article131231869.html#storylink=cpy

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #212 on: February 07, 2017, 05:05:54 PM »

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Affidavit-Cloths-key-evidence-in-Zuzu-Verk-case-arrests-413062193.html

Affidavit: Plastic painter's drop cloth key evidence in Zuzu Verk case arrests

Posted: Tue 1:33 PM, Feb 07, 2017  |  Updated: Tue 2:39 PM, Feb 07, 2017

ALPINE -- Arrest affidavits of Robert Fabian and Chris Estrada share new details in the investigation of the Zuzu Verk case.

According to the affidavits obtained by CBS 7, Chris Estrada told investigators he went to Fabian's apartment on October 12th to paint a table.

Electronic data shows Estrada was at the Dollar General in Alpine, and Estrada told investigators that he and Fabian had gone to the store to buy three plastic painter's drop cloth.

Surveillance footage shows Fabian buying three packaged items, resembling the drop cloth. A receipt from Dollar General shows that a credit card from Estrada was used to make the purchase.

On the Friday and Saturday of that week, investigators searched Fabian's apartment and only found one of the three cloths that were purchased. The other two were not found.

On February 3rd, law enforcement discovered the human remains identified as Zuzu Verk with thin plastic sheets that were consistent with the drop cloth bought by Fabian at Dollar General.
---

Full affidavit breakdown:

According to arrest affidavits, Robert Fabian gave a voluntary interview with a Texas Ranger on October 14th and 15th, two days after Zuzu was last seen.

During the interview Fabian told investigators that on Tuesday he and Zuzu texted before he invited her over to his apartment where she arrived at 10 p.m.

Once at the apartment the two reportedly had a date until they began arguing after Fabian made a comment about an ex-girlfriend, the affidavit states.

Fabian then told investigators that that he then escorted Zuzu out of his apartment between 2 and 3 a.m. and watched as the drove away, telling him that she needed to take care of her dog.

According to the affidavit, Fabian denied going anywhere from the time Zuzu arrived at his apartment until she left. Investigators then asked why a neighbor said that they saw him leave early in the morning, to which he replied that he had left and drove to Dairy Queen to think about his relationship.

When he arrived back home, Fabian told investigators, he found Zuzu there and escorted her out.

Fabian also stated that he and Zuzu had a heated argument.

According to the affidavits, the last text message Zuzu's phone sent to Fabian's phone was at 10:12 p.m. Phone service records obtained by investigators show that Fabian called Estrada twice at 3:15 a.m.

A witness living near Fabian's apartment told investigators that he saw Zuzu's car parked in front of the apartments around 11 p.m. He also heard the two arguing.

Later that night the witness awoke to the sound of a movie being played loudly from 1 a.m. to 2 a.m., and heard unique sounds coming from the direction of Fabian's bed.

The witness woke up again later and told investigators he heard Fabian walking around his apartment with the shower running.

At 4 a.m. the witness was awoken again by his girlfriend who stated that she heard a loud noise and thought their apartment was being broken into. When he went to investigate he was Fabian leaving in his Jeep and noticed that Zuzu's car was still parked. He told investigators that he didn't see anyone with Fabian at the time.

At 9:30 a.m. the witness saw a mattress pad/cover belonging to Fabian in the dryer and clothing of Fabian's in the washing machine. When he went to leave for work he still saw Zuzu's car parked, but Fabian's Jeep was still gone.

According to the affidavits, at 6:15 a.m. that morning a neighbor reported seeing Zuzu's dog on the loose, and messaged Fabian to tell him about it a few hours later. The neighbor told Fabian that the dog was running outside of the house with a green leash.

Zuzu's brother, Miles, told investigators that Zuzu habitually walked her dog using a red leash.

An Alpine Animal Control officer then found the dog with a green leash, and knocked on the front door of Zuzu's home. After no one answered, the officer returned the dog to the back yard and closed the gate.

On Friday, October 14th, law enforcement went to Zuzu's home to perform a welfare check and found all of the doors locked. According to the affidavits, Miles Verk told investigators that Zuzu habitually left her back door unlocked. Fabian told investigators that he "has a thing for locking doors".

As we read through the arrest affidavit we will continue to update this story on CBS 7 and online.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #213 on: February 07, 2017, 07:57:57 PM »

http://www.newswest9.com/story/34449952/arrest-affidavits-reveal-new-information-involving-zuzu-verk-investigation

Arrest affidavits reveal new information involving Zuzu Verk investigation
Tuesday, February 7th 2017, 5:42 pm CST
Tuesday, February 7th 2017, 5:42 pm CST
By Ronnie Marley, Digital Content ManagerCONNECT

Robert Fabian (left) and Chris Estrada (right) (Source: Alpine Police Department/Maricopa County Sheriff's Office)

Zuzu Verk (Source: Facebook)

ALPINE, TX (KWES) -
Authorities have released new information involving the Zuzu Verk investigation in Alpine.

Right now, Robert Fabian, the on-again off again boyfriend of Zuzu Verk, and Chris Estrada, Robert's friend, are behind bars on charges of tampering with or fabricating physical evidence by concealing a human corpse.

According to the affidavit on Oct. 14 and 15, 2016, Fabian gave a voluntary interview to police concerning his relationship with Zuzu.

On Oct. 11, according to the affidavit, Robert and Zuzu exchanged text messages regarding pain she was having in her back so Robert invited her over for a romantic dinner and massage.

According to the report, Zuzu arrived at Fabian's apartment around 10 p.m. then during the date, Robert and Zuzu had an heated argument about an ex-girlfriend.

The affidavit states that between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2016, Robert took Zuzu out of the front door of his apartment and watched her leave in her car. She said that she needed to go home to take care of her dog. At first, according to the report, Robert stated to police that he didn't go anywhere from the time Zuzu arrived to the time she left. However, a neighbor told police that he saw Robert leave early in the morning. Robert later admitted to police that he left around 3 a.m. and drove out to Dairy Queen to think about his relationship with Zuzu. Then when he returned, Zuzu was still at his apartment.

According phone records, Robert then called Chris at 3:15 a.m.

The report stated that the last text message delivered from Zuzu's phone to Robert was a 10:12 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2016.

A statement from Robert's downstairs neighbor stated the following information:

• He stated that he heard Zuzu at Robert's apartment and saw her car in front of the apartments around 11 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 11
    He heard Zuzu and Robert arguing
    He work up to a movie being played real loud from Robert's apartment between 1 a.m. and 2 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 12
    He heard unique sounds from Robert's bed at the same time
    He woke again and heard Robert walking quickly in the apartment and heard the shower running in the early morning hours.
    His girlfriend woke him at 4 a.m. because she heard a loud noise and she thought someone was trying to break in. He then got out of bed to check what was going on.
    He saw Robert leave by himself in his own Jeep around 4 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 12
    He stated that Zuzu's vehicle was still at the apartment.
    He saw a mattress pad belonging to Robert in the dryer and clothing in the washing machine.
    He then left for work around 10:25 a.m. and saw that Robert's car wasn't back but Zuzu's was still at the apartment. He found it strange that Zuzu's car was still at the apartment because she would normally leave early in the morning when she stayed with Robert.
    He then told police that on Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2016, that Robert stopped sleeping at his apartment consistently.
    According to the report, on Oct. 12, 2016, a woman saw Zuzu's dog loose around 6:15 a.m. Then about two hours later, the woman sent Robert a Facebook message saying that Zuzu's dog was running loose with a green leash. Zuzu's brother told investigators Zuzu typically used a red leash to walk her dog.

Then within the next half hour, an Alpine animal control officer caught Zuzu's dog a block from her house and saw the dog had a green leash. The officer knocked on Zuzu's front door but no one answered so he put the dog in the backyard and closed the gate.

Zuzu's brother also told investigators that she typically didn’t lock her back door and Robert told investigators, "he has a thing for locking doors." Then on Friday, Oct. 14, 2016, authorities conducted a welfare check on Zuzu at her home and discovered that all the doors were locked, including the back door.

In an interview with authorities, Chris said that he was with Robert from 9 p.m. on Oct. 12, 2016, until midnight on Oct. 13, 2016. During that time, Chris picked up Robert from his sister's house, they went for a cruise in Chris's new Mustang, got a drink at Guzzi Up and hung out at Robert's apartment to paint a table. However, they didn't and just drank alcohol and didn't paint the table. Chris said during their time together, he couldn't see anything in Robert's bedroom because the door was closed and he didn't go in. Then after that, Chris took Robert back to his sister's house.

Police said that through the morning hours of Oct. 12, 2016 and Oct. 13, 2016, they communicated electronically through various means when they were not together.

According to the report, electronic data showed the following:

• At approximately 9 p.m., Oct. 12, 2016, Chris was at Robert's sister's house
    Between 9 p.m. and 10:15 p.m., Chris was at Guzzi Up and witnesses saw Robert and Chris there.
    Between approximately 10:15 p.m. and 10:20 p.m., Oct. 12, 2016, Chris took Robert to the Dollar General in Alpine and allowed Robert to use his credit card to purchase three packaged items resembling three plastic painter's drop cloths. Investigators said surveillance footage and purchase records showed Robert purchasing three items.
    Between 10:20 p.m. until 10:40 p.m., Oct. 12, 2016, Chris was back at Robert's sister's house
    Between 10:40 p.m. and midnight, Oct. 12, 2016, Chris was at Robert's apartment
    Between midnight and 12:20 a.m., Oct. 13, 2016, Chris was at or near several commercial dumpsters in the area.
    By 12:20 a.m., records showed Chris was back at Robert's sister's house.
    Between approximately 12:30 a.m. and 2:45 a.m., Oct. 13, 2016, Chris was at a friend's house.
    According to the affidavit, the friend stated that Chris said he had just been cruising with a friend. When she opened the door, she saw Chris acting strange and looked very bothered to the extent that is scared her. The friend told Chris that he was scaring her and replied, "I don't want to get you involved. Don't ask questions." The friend complied and then asked if it was anything "newsworthy." Chris shrugged his shoulders and said, "If it is newsworthy, I didn't do anything. I'm okay."

Robert's brother-in-law told investigators that his wife woke him up sometime after he went to sleep at 10 p.m. on Oct. 12, 2016, asking if Robert could borrow his truck, which he agreed.

Robert's friend told investigators the following:

• He drove by Robert's apartment on his way to work around 7:45 a.m. and saw that Robert's car wasn't parked at his apartment, which was unusual for Robert. He further stated that he didn't believe Zuzu's car was parked there at that time.
    He was told by Robert that sometime after Wed., Oct. 12, 2016, Robert was sleeping at his sister's house on her couch because he was having problems. Josh found it unusual that Robert was now staying at his sister's house.
    He stated that at approximately 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 14, 2016 after news of Zuzu's disappearance was made public, Robert said, "If I know a really big secret and two people know it, then the other has to be dead." Robert then saw that the statement concerned his friend and he said he was joking.
    He stated that on Oct. 14, 2016, Robert said he needed to retrieve his computer so he could delete Facebook posts because such statements did not look good as he was a suspect in the missing person investigation of Zuzu.
According to the report, on Friday, Oct. 14, 2016 and Sat., Oct. 15, 2016, investigators conducted a search of Robert's apartment and did not find any sheets or pillow cases for Robert's bed. The report stated one of three painters' drop cloths was discovered and the other two weren't recovered.

Then on Feb. 3, 2017, law enforcement discovered what reasonably appeared to be human skeletal remains bearing features consistent with Zuzu, together with thin plastic sheets that were consistent with the plastic painters drop cloths purchased by Robert at the Dollar General in a shallow grave.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2017, 08:03:38 PM »

Really, Robert?  You were fighting about an ex-girlfriend of yours?

Unless the people that overheard the argument confirm that, I'll never believe it.  JMO

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #215 on: February 07, 2017, 08:08:08 PM »

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Second-suspect-in-Zuzu-Verk-case-arrested-in-Phoenix-412937143.html

Chris Estrada waives extradition after arrest in Phoenix

By News Staff  | Posted: Mon 3:41 PM, Feb 06, 2017  |  Updated: Tue 2:57 PM, Feb 07, 2017

PHOENIX -- 2:45 p.m. Update: According to Alpine Police Chief Russell Scown, Chris Estrada will be returned from Arizona to Texas.

Chief Scown says that Estrada waived extradition Tuesday from Phoenix.
---

Chris Estrada, the second suspect in the Zuzu Verk case, was arrested by Phoenix Police Monday morning.

Estrada was arrested for the same charges as Zuzu's on-again, off-again boyfriend Robert Fabian -- tampering with or fabricating physical evidence by concealing a human corpse.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #216 on: February 07, 2017, 08:10:28 PM »

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Zuzu-Verk-to-be-laid-to-rest-in-the-DFW-area-413087483.html

Zuzu Verk to be laid to rest in the DFW area

Posted: Tue 5:02 PM, Feb 07, 2017

ALPINE -- A spokesperson for the Verk family has announced new information regarding a memorial service and where Zuzu will be laid to rest.

According to the spokesperson, the service is planned to be held on Thursday, February 9th at 6:30 p.m. at the new outdoor amphitheater on campus.

Instead of flowers, the Verk family is asking that gifts be made to:

Zuzu Verk Memorial Scholarship Fund in Natural Resource Management
C/O SRSU Office of External Affairs
PO Box C-114
Alpine, TX 79832

The family plans to lay Zuzu Verk to rest at a later date in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #217 on: February 07, 2017, 08:22:04 PM »

Link to the search warrant for Robert's sister's house.

http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/Alpine+Search+Warrant.pdf

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #218 on: February 07, 2017, 08:56:02 PM »

Video at the link:

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Verk-family-Were-feeling-very-united-412923533.html

Verk family: "Sorrow and relief" after Fabian's arrest

By DeAnn Lopez | Posted: Mon 1:33 PM, Feb 06, 2017  |  Updated: Tue 12:12 AM, Feb 07, 2017

ALPINE -- After nearly four months of not knowing what happened to their daughter, the Verk family finally has a sense of closure.

On Monday, the Dallas Institute of Forensic Science positively identified the human remains found off Wagon Road in Sunny Glen Canyon as Zuzu Verk.

According to Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson, her remains were identified through dental records.

CBS 7 News was the first to sit down with the Verk’s Monday afternoon. They say they’re ready to see the person responsible for their daughter’s death be brought to justice.

Although this tragedy has forever changed them, it did not ruin their incredibly strong family.

“God it’s impossible to describe how I feel right now,” said Zuzu’s older brother Miles Verk. “I’m relieved that we’ve found her, but extremely saddened that I’m never really going to see her again.”

The bond that the Verk family shared with their daughter, their sister, was one that’s too powerful to put into words.

“So many laughs, it’s, God she’s just amazing” Miles said as he recalled the memories he shared with Zuzu. “I’m just going to miss her passion and just her laugh. I’m going to miss her laugh so much.”

“Will you miss her advice?” Zuzu’s mom jokingly asked with a big smile on her face.

“Not really,” laughed Miles. “But she always did give great advice, I just didn’t really listen most of the time.”

For nearly four months now, Glenn, Lori, and Miles clinged onto every bit of hope they possibly could that Zuzu would be found alive.

But Monday, their worst fear officially became a reality. Her remains were positively identified.

“It was closure, it was closure, I mean to know, just to know,” said Zuzu’s mom Lori. “This is still going to go on for a long time, but just to know there’s no more question.”

Zuzu’s ex-boyfriend Robert Fabian was charged Friday morning for tampering with or fabricating physical evidence by concealing a human corpse.

However, the Verk’s have felt in their hearts all along that he’s responsible for her death -- now it’s justice that they’re after.

“I want forensics to do everything they can, I want them to be able to find every bit of evidence they can, because this was not a natural death,” said Lori.

But the one positive thing the Verks will take away from all of this is the love and support from the community and law enforcement of Alpine.

“Everyone has kept their strength up and hope alive for us, and that was the only way we were able to get through it,” said Miles. “Without them we would not be as put together as we are right now, I would’ve crumbled.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today Glenn, Lori and Miles Verk spoke with CBS 7 News, together for the first time since Robert Fabian's arrest.

The Verk's chose to speak with CBS 7 News first saying:

"We're feeling very united and we're talking a lot and planning and giving each other support," GlenVerk, Zuzu's father said. "But you know there's sorrow and relief and a lot of emotions we've all been experiencing simultaneously."

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #219 on: February 09, 2017, 04:43:12 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/packsports/photos/a.152518308439532.1073741828.136222306735799/377955845895776/?type=3&permPage=1

Link for the Live stream of the memorial service for Zuzu at Sul Ross State University
Scheduled for 6:30pm CST

https://livestream.com/srsumedia/zuzu

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.