March 28, 2024, 02:55:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Gross Inequality of Organ Transplants in America"  (Read 3795 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 10, 2019, 05:29:12 AM »

Paying for healthcare of illegal aliens is in the news.  Many old article about how much money it costs taxpayers and Americans (due to cost shifting) to pay for dialysis and other care for those here illegally.

I wonder how many foreigners come, go on welfare and medical assistance, and eventually receive transplants? 

Years ago, states and regions had their own organ donor/recipient systems.  Organs stayed local, benefited local people.  Some complained about waste.  Some states/areas did a better job of signing people up to donate.  The government came up with the current system.  Organs can leave an area of low demand and go to an area with higher demand.  Many wondered about fairness to local people and the hard work that went into securing the donations.   Where do all the organs go?

How many foreigners come here, take up residency, and get on the list?  How many get organs before American citizens?  Where is the fairness?  Why aren't they getting organs in their own country? 

There’s a nationwide organ shortage, but how long patients wait for a transplant can depend on how much money they have...

“Transplant tourism” usually refers to the practice of wealthy people traveling abroad for a new organ. But Americans engage in domestic transplant tourism, too.

https://newrepublic.com/article/145682/gross-inequality-organ-transplants-america

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 05:37:45 AM »

Some U.S. Hospitals Don’t Put Americans First for Liver Transplants
"At a time when there aren’t enough livers for ailing Americans, wealthy foreigners fly here for transplants."

Why aren't they getting a transplant in their own country? 

Little known to the public, or to sick patients and their families, organs donated domestically are sometimes given to patients flying in from other countries, who often pay a premium. Some hospitals even seek out foreign patients in need of a transplant. A Saudi Arabian company, Ansaq Medical Co., whose stated aim is to “facilitate the procedures and mechanisms of ‘medical tourism,’” said it signed an agreement with Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans in 2015.

How much fetal tissue is used for transplantation?

https://www.propublica.org/article/some-hospitals-do-not-put-americans-first-for-liver-transplants

Why does it seem like American's are first in line when it comes to to paying and last in line when it comes to receiving care?

just my humble opinions and questions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 05:48:02 AM »

"Liver Allocation to Non‐U.S. Citizen Non‐U.S. Residents: An Ethical Framework for a Last‐in‐Line Approach"

The incidence of non‐U.S. citizen non‐U.S. resident patients coming to the United States specifically for deceased donor liver transplantation raises compelling ethical questions that require careful consideration. The inclusion of these often financially and/or socially privileged patients in the pool of potential candidates for an absolutely scarce and life‐saving liver transplant may exacerbate disparities already existing in deceased donor liver allocation. In addition, their inclusion on organ transplant waiting lists conflicts with recognized ethical principles of justice and reciprocity. Moreover, preliminary data suggest that public awareness of this practice could discourage organ donation, thereby worsening an already profound supply–demand gulf. Finally, U.S. organ allocation policies and statutes are out of step with recently promulgated international transplant guidelines, which prioritize self‐sufficiency of organ programs. This article analyzes each of these ethical conflicts within the context of deceased donor liver transplantation and recommends policy changes that align the United States with international practices that discourage this scenario.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/ajt.13674

If foreigners have bushels of money to pay for transplants and related expenses, why aren't they getting transplanted in their own country?  Why aren't their countries self-sufficient?

I've heard stories over the years about complex organ sharing transplant schemes.  Person A donates a kidney to a relative, Person B.  Person A kidney actually goes to an unrelated person, and Person B gets an unrelated kidney. 

All kinds of stories about how the 'best' matches come from relatives, and alternatively that with modern anti-rejection drugs organs can go to anyone.

Why the need for all the organ/donor switch ups?  Does this ensure the best quality organ goes to the person with the most $$$?  Foreigner$?  Americans get the leftovers from all these  convoluted switches? 

Would I want to donate if my healthy organ goes to a foreigner with boatloads of money and my relative is left with a bottom of the barrel organ? 

Instead of coming to American, foreigners should build their own programs - organ transplants, economy, healthcare, good jobs, welfare state.

just my humble opinions and questions

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.