March 28, 2024, 05:05:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K.I.S.S., Pronouns, and A World Gone Mad?  (Read 3276 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 15, 2019, 06:37:58 AM »

K.I.S.S. has been popular for decades, if not generations.  'Keep it simple stupid.'  What does it really mean?  And, have we forgotten how 'simple' and 'easy' a good life should be?

I've seen this story around the internet for several weeks and refused to read further.  It has lingered in my thoughts and seems like a sign of the times we live in.  Why should life be this difficult for anyone?  It seems to me that a doctor may need to know what kind of body parts were present at birth, modifications to the body after birth, and the current condition of the body.  Simple stuff. 

What value does knowing the person's 'pronoun' add to the treatment plan?  It should be a simple thing.  I imagine little or nothing.  People have the ability to change their pronouns like they change their socks or underwear.  A new pronoun ever waking hour? 

Why should anyone else have to know about the pronoun of the day, week, month, or lifetime?  Why should anyone lose a job?  Job applications with gender / pronoun choices that change constantly?  Someone needs to research before checking a box?  Intentional confusion?  A new form of age discrimination? Racism?  Sexism?

In the olden days, it was often hard to distinguish between the he/she pronoun under many circumstances.  I was advised early on it was less offensive to mistakenly call someone 'sir' than to mistakenly call someone 'madame'.  It was  a simple thing.  In the past, if a mistake were made, people were gracious enough to forgive/forget/overlook, and move one.  I do not recall anyone being 'triggered'.  It was a gracious thing, a past courtesy not to discomfort anyone.  Today, pronouns seem to be a big trigger.  Why isn't it a simple thing? 

Back to K.I.S.S.

Instead of multiplying the pronouns, why not change to a gender / sex neutral pronoun structure?  I don't think most people care or need to know a self selected pronoun.

Why make a big deal about mis-identification for something as simple as a greeting?  Do some people like creating havoc?  Like causing a commotion?  Like upsetting people?  Being the source of discomfort?  Like the power to destroy lives?  Fire people?  All this for something that should be a simple thing, a pronoun.

"U.K. doctor fired after refusing to refer to theoretical 'six-foot-tall bearded man' as 'madam,' sues government"

A Christian doctor in the English midlands lost his job in a government department after he refused to refer to a theoretical “six-foot-tall bearded man” as “madam,” a tribunal heard.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/u-k-doctor-fired-after-refusing-to-refer-to-theoretical-six-foot-tall-bearded-man-as-madam-sues-government

Why can't some people accept that a pronoun is a small thing and move on?  Stop the trigger.  If mailman was changed to mailcarrier or mail person, why not combine the hundreds of pronouns into a simple to remember neutral set of pronouns most people can remember?  Keep it simple for everyone.

"From many pronouns into one pronoun." - Similar mottos are good for entire nations, why not pronouns?  A nation at peace with itself.

Keep it simple.  Forgive and forget lapses.  Leave your pronoun triggers in the past. 

I do believe in IDIC - Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combination.  There are limits to the human ability absorb and document the infinite number of pronoun combination.  Why not keep it simple?   A pronoun structure simple and good for everyone.

Character Troy from movie Blast From the Past

Troy : You know, I asked him about that. He said, good manners are just a way of showing other people we have respect for them. See, I didn't know that, I thought it was just a way of acting all superior. Oh and you know what else he told me?

Eve : What?

Troy : He thinks I'm a gentleman and you're a lady.

Eve : [disgusted]  Well, consider the source! I don't even know what a lady is.

Troy : I know, I mean I thought a "gentleman" was somebody that owned horses. But it turns out, his short and simple definition of a lady or a gentleman is, someone who always tries to make sure the people around him or her are as comfortable as possible.

Eve : Where do you think he got all that information?

Troy : From the oddest place - his parents. I mean, I don't think I got that memo from mine.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124298/characters/nm0004929

Life should be simple and easy.

just my humble opinions and questions

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.