March 28, 2024, 06:54:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aruba...  (Read 4050 times)
DKNY
Scared Monkey

« on: June 26, 2005, 12:58:50 AM »

I don't live in Aruba and in fact have only been to the island once.  I'm just confused why people are bashing the place.  This can & will happen anywhere.  Down your street, in schools, in your own home for that matter.

I guess the saying goes, one bad apple can ruin the whole bunch.  It's too bad though...
papito
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 02:49:37 PM »

Mr. Paul van der Sloot is da chief justice on da island (he is da boss of the judges) it's because of that, that the Chief Justice of Curacao has to come to the island to follow and choices in the case.
I agree that there is something fishy about the whole thing, but it's unfair how the world now look at Aruba.
We are very caring and loving people. In the States much worse things happen and after sometimes 10 /20 years they crack the case. Give the arubians a little bit of slack. Don't forget that we are surrounded by sea if they dumped (IF THEY DID) her body in the sea. The sharkes would have already eaten the body. And if the suspects shut up and don't talk than the case will close and they will go out free. And don't forget either that paul is a chief justice he knows the law like you guys know the songs they play on MTV. It's not easy to crack a chief justice.

A Police officer of The sunny happy Island of Aruba
FeliX
Scared Monkey

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 03:10:33 PM »

Paulus van der Sloot is as much a Chief Justice
As you a an Aruban Police Officer.....IMO

Paulus was a judge in training....
A week before Natalee's arrival he was informed he FAILED the test.
He was at the Judicial Building recently looking for a job.

He was/is unemployed!
Pete
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 03:39:11 PM »

Quote from: "papito"
Mr. Paul van der Sloot is da chief justice on da island (he is da boss of the judges) it's because of that, that the Chief Justice of Curacao has to come to the island to follow and choices in the case.
I agree that there is something fishy about the whole thing, but it's unfair how the world now look at Aruba.
We are very caring and loving people. In the States much worse things happen and after sometimes 10 /20 years they crack the case. Give the arubians a little bit of slack. Don't forget that we are surrounded by sea if they dumped (IF THEY DID) her body in the sea. The sharkes would have already eaten the body. And if the suspects shut up and don't talk than the case will close and they will go out free. And don't forget either that paul is a chief justice he knows the law like you guys know the songs they play on MTV. It's not easy to crack a chief justice.

A Police officer of The sunny happy Island of Aruba

Since you are an officer on Aruba, you should probably know THIS:
"In an anecdote that illustrated the insular world of Aruba, Justice Minister Croes said Paul van der Sloot had recently visited him in his office after failing to become a judge, apparently seeking a position in Croes' department. Van der Sloot had also taught the justice minister's daughter.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,160699,00.html
Amy Dawn
Scared Monkey

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 03:54:42 PM »

Fox was saying that Paulus came from the netherlands to try and get a job on the island as a judge and GOT TURNED DOWN?

I can't remember WHY... But they didn't answer that question, anybody hear that too?

he had a history of something.

"Corrupt the young, Get them interested in sex. Make them superficial, Get their minds off their government. Divide the people into hostile groups by constantly harping on controversial matters of no importance." --Vladimir Ilich Lenin
Cerulean
Scared Monkey

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 10:32:34 PM »

Great quotation Amy Dawn.  Yeah, does anyone know why he didn't make the judgeship?  Seems smart enough.  Gambling?  Something else?
Daniel
Scared Monkey

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 11:22:05 PM »

Quote from: "FeliX"
Paulus van der Sloot is as much a Chief Justice
As you a an Aruban Police Officer.....IMO

Paulus was a judge in training....
A week before Natalee's arrival he was informed he FAILED the test.
He was at the Judicial Building recently looking for a job.

He was/is unemployed!

On Dec. 20 2002 Paul van der Sloot (pronounced Sloat btw) was appointed 'subsitute member of the court' of the joint Court of Justice of the Dutch Antilles and Aruba headquartered on Curaçao.

This Court of Justice is an appeals court. Each case is judged by a team of three judges. Through this appointment, Van der Sloot would serve as a substitute judge, i.e. he would take over if one of the 'real' judges was not available.

He was not yet a fully qualified judge, which in Holland requires an academic law study of 4 years (which he completed long ago) plus 4 years of work and training within the judiciary, plus 2 years of work and training in a law-related job outside the judiciary (eg as a government clerk or lawyer), and finally one year of working in a court. When these 11 years of studies, work and training have been completed, one can be appointed judge, for life, by the head of state.

From what I understand, VDS was close to getting there, but missed or failed a test. That doesn't mean that he is unemployed now - he probably still holds whatever other position he had, even if only formally, but he won't have to worry about his paycheck. If the substitute judge position was a fulltime job they've probably sent him on sick leave, or he may still also have his old job as a high-ranking clerk in the Public Prosecutor's office.
FeliX
Scared Monkey

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 11:28:06 PM »

Daniel:  I apologize for my error.
MominTN
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 12:05:35 AM »

Why else do you think they were so slow to arrest his son and are probably going to probably let them go?  All the searches and the changes of judges is just to play the media until they hope we get tired of watching it.
Daniel
Scared Monkey

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 08:13:20 AM »

The switching of judges is a necessity because the legal community on the Antilles and Aruba is very small, and you can't have acquaintances judge eachother. So they flew in someone from the mainland. That's good.

It is not in the island's interest to drag the investigations and proceedings -in contrary, all the bad PR is a nightmare that they'll want to end as soon as possible (50% of Aruba's income comes from American tourists). There has been quite a lot of corruption in the Antilles in the past, and it must be very tempting to find some innocent fall guy and throw him into the slammer, if only just to satisfy the Americans and end the media interest.  I'm relieved that they don't appear to be giving in to the tremendous pressures and seem to be doing everything by the book, to assure that justice can be done and that any convictions will also stand in the future, when today's proceedings can (and likely will) be scrutinized very closely by the nitpickers of the Dutch High Court in The Hague.
Chunky Monkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 09:55:20 AM »

OK he's a judge in training....is it still right to slander the whole island? Do you guys know the kind to crime this island has. I doubt any little town USA with 100,000 population can say they have less crime than Aruba.
phl
Scared Monkey

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 05:24:28 PM »

Quote from: "Chunky Monkey"
OK he's a judge in training....is it still right to slander the whole island? Do you guys know the kind to crime this island has. I doubt any little town USA with 100,000 population can say they have less crime than Aruba.

100,000 population, and let's not forget the how many millions of tourists they cater to every year as well. Quite a good ratio of people vs crime in such a small vicinity if you ask me.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.