March 28, 2024, 04:01:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RBN #29 6/27/05 Monday  (Read 272459 times)
Compananzi
Scared Monkey

« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2005, 09:46:12 AM »

Quote from: "Gerben aka Pays Bas"
Quote from: "LilOrphan"
Quote from: "pinemeadows"

That would help explain his being charged with complicity in a premeditated murder one day, and less than 24 hours later, being released.  That really puzzles me.

And save the flames...it's just a thought.

I wrote a dissertation last night on that, trying to get someone with knowledge of Dutch law to explain if it's standard practice to arrest someone for kidnapping and murder  when you either don't have enough on 'em to make the arrest stick or as a way to pressure someone else. Seems the antithesis of good case-building and ethical procedure??

He's not charged but 'suspected', thats a enormous difference in dutch law. Somebody is officially charged on the first day of trial, until then he's just a suspect. During that pre-trail arrest the Aruban LE has to present enough evidence to the judge to prolong that arrest with a given amount of days. That's up to the judge. In this system you are locked up if your are  suspected of a crime, these intervals where the judge comes in play are specifically designed to avoid people being detained for a pretty long time without enough evidence to do so.
The Aruban LE thought they had enough to keep PvdS locked up, the judge didn't share that opinion.

I concur, there is also a mention of using PVDS as a phychological key to pressure JVDS to confess.  And maybe the pressure from both Beth and Jug to 'have' PVDS to be arrested on way or the other.  The impartial Judge probably made the right decision, not enough substantial evidence even for suspicion.  The mention of Greta interview got him arrested, but I think the full unedited probably got him off.  Many time shows are edited and can be skewed to give the impression that someone is not talking or said something..perhaps after reviewing the taped interview, it was maybe perhaps showing an explanation, a elaboration of a statement that got cut out or edited..
sandraK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2005, 09:46:26 AM »

Quote from: "sandy"
What about all the promised additional arrests?

Island Promises......... Evil or Very Mad
KackyLacky
Scared Monkey

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2005, 09:48:06 AM »

That would help explain his being charged with complicity in a premeditated murder one day, and less than 24 hours later, being released.  That really puzzles me.

And save the flames...it's just a thought.

I wrote a dissertation last night on that, trying to get someone with knowledge of Dutch law to explain if it's standard practice to arrest someone for kidnapping and murder  when you either don't have enough on 'em to make the arrest stick or as a way to pressure someone else. Seems the antithesis of good case-building and ethical procedure??

He's not charged but 'suspected', thats a enormous difference in dutch law. Somebody is officially charged on the first day of trial, until then he's just a suspect. During that pre-trail arrest the Aruban LE has to present enough evidence to the judge to prolong that arrest with a given amount of days. That's up to the judge. In this system you are locked up if your are  suspected of a crime, these intervals where the judge comes in play are specifically designed to avoid people being detained for a pretty long time without enough evidence to do so.
The Aruban LE thought they had enough to keep PvdS locked up, the judge didn't share that opinion.

Gerben, Can Aruban LE appeal?
momto5
Scared Monkey

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2005, 09:48:52 AM »

anybody know what time or if they released steve c and jorans father yet?

"Truth is generally the best vindication against slander. " ~ Abraham Lincoln
BK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2005, 09:50:54 AM »

Joran's father was apparently released last night
gagirl
Scared Monkey

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2005, 09:50:56 AM »

PVDS was released yesterday... SC is to be released at 1pm today
sandy
Scared Monkey

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2005, 09:51:23 AM »

I believe PVDS was home last night
momto5
Scared Monkey

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2005, 09:51:40 AM »

Thanks guys. Havent been home much or able to watch tv while I was.

klaasend
Scared Monkey

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2005, 09:51:45 AM »

Quote from: "momto5"
anybody know what time or if they released steve c and jorans father yet?

Joran's father was released yesterday.  Steve C. will be release today at 1:00pm when his 8 days is up.
sandy
Scared Monkey

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2005, 09:52:32 AM »

Monkeys in stereo
gaijin
Scared Monkey

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2005, 10:01:40 AM »

Morning all. Is it just me, or is there a pall and depression over the cage this morning? Comon people. All is not lost...yet.
momto5
Scared Monkey

« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2005, 10:07:34 AM »

Quote from: "gaijin"
Morning all. Is it just me, or is there a pall and depression over the cage this morning? Comon people. All is not lost...yet.

Morning! Im not depressed no reason to be...unless you consider my 5 yr old putting my cat in the toilet as depressing.

tkubi7
Scared Monkey

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2005, 10:07:46 AM »

You are right Gaijin. Just as the days drag on, it's only natural that hopes fade. I have to constantly remind myself of Elizabeth Smart. Maybe we can have a miracle here too. I pray.

"Leave no stone unturned"
pinemeadows
Scared Monkey

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2005, 10:08:14 AM »

Morning! Im not depressed no reason to be...unless you consider my 5 yr old putting my cat in the toilet as depressing.

The cat's probably depressed...
absolut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2005, 10:09:01 AM »

http://scaredmonkeys.com/Discussion/viewtopic.php?p=38815#38815

BREAKING NEWS BTK killings suspect Dennis Rader waives right to jury trial, pleads guilty to 10 counts of murder. Detail soon.
jac723
Scared Monkey

« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2005, 10:09:28 AM »

Quote from: "sandy"
Anyone in the VDS family talking today - or Beth?

I was watching one of the videos on CNN--showing PVDS being released-when they said they asked BHT for an interview they said she declined since she was two upset with the 2 men being released!

Don't know when we will see her talk??

Jennifer
MsPooh
Scared Monkey

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2005, 10:09:33 AM »

Feels as if we have hit a brick wall.But keep hope alive guys, something is bound to happen here one way or another, it may not be as quick as we want it to, but it will happen.Bright Side, we have all made tons of new friends here to discuss the case with until and after this is resolved.

Life's a journey not a destination..
momto5
Scared Monkey

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2005, 10:11:26 AM »

The cat's probably depressed...

Probably. Trying to teach a 5 yr old the cat isnt a toy has been hard lol.

pinemeadows
Scared Monkey

« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2005, 10:13:17 AM »

Thanks. As always, your insight is invaluable. Nevertheless, in terms of the Aruban LE, it seems like a misstep, then.  Shouldn't have arrested the man until you had more on him, IMO. Could just be a cultural difference in legal procedure, but it seems like common sense to me. Smile

Gerben, I'm beginning to understand the differences in law that you referenced in your post.  

But they had PVDS detained as a suspect on Friday, I believe...then on Saturday, the word was out that the grounds for his detention/arrest were "complicity in premeditated murder"...very very specific.  Then the next day, he's released????   This does not speak well for Aruba LE, in my opinion.

I have no dogs in this race - don't care if he's in or out, as I don't know anything for sure.  It just seems very odd.  One day there's evidence, and the next day, there's not enough?
momto5
Scared Monkey

« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2005, 10:14:07 AM »

Quote from: "MsPooh"

Feels as if we have hit a brick wall.But keep hope alive guys, something is bound to happen here one way or another, it may not be as quick as we want it to, but it will happen.Bright Side, we have all made tons of new friends here to discuss the case with until and after this is resolved.

I agree. Remember we really dont know whats going on behind those closed doors while the interrogations are going on. Im also hopeful that the TX group will find her one way or another. I remember reading when Laci Peterson was missing that most missing people who disappear under circumstances related to foul play are usually found. It just takes time to find them. It took 4 mths for Laci to wash up, and in the end justice was served. So dont lose hope. Its only been 4 wks.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.