April 23, 2024, 05:30:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember Laura Dickinson Eastern Michigan University  (Read 6399 times)
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« on: July 16, 2007, 02:32:47 PM »

It seems they are at least looking into bringing any truth out into the light...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/16/university.dismissal.ap/index.html

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 03:18:28 PM »

I was watching the news earlier and saw that story.  What a tragedy!  If the rape/murder in her case was covered up, I immediately wondered who else and what else they covered up!

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 06:57:53 PM »

I feel a lawsuit coming.....

I guess her family had to go through hell just to find out the truth about what actually happened to their daughter. Shameful.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 11:09:37 AM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"
I was watching the news earlier and saw that story.  What a tragedy!  If the rape/murder in her case was covered up, I immediately wondered who else and what else they covered up!

Mrs. Red - I was thinking the exact same thing.  How sad is it when our society is more concerned with money or power instead of the safety of its youths???  What are the adults in charge saying to the younger generation??? Mad

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 04:19:10 PM »

Quote from: "Sleeks"
Quote from: "mrs. red"

Mrs. Red - I was thinking the exact same thing.  How sad is it when our society is more concerned with money or power instead of the safety of its youths???  What are the adults in charge saying to the younger generation??? Mad

It is dispicable. This young woman deserved so much more than this, and so does her family.
This was a total lack of repect by these administrators for anyone but themselves.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 08:15:22 PM »

I just can't get my mind around this one!

Those administrators should be liable for more than just losing their jobs, to my mind.  Covering up a violent crime, demonstrating utter disregard for the safety and well-being of other students by not warning or informing them of the circumstances of this death, and deliberately misleading this student's family, seems almost like a form of collusion to me.  I'd like to see them prosecuted for this.
Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 11:02:43 AM »

Quote from: "A's Fever"
I just can't get my mind around this one!

Those administrators should be liable for more than just losing their jobs, to my mind.  Covering up a violent crime, demonstrating utter disregard for the safety and well-being of other students by not warning or informing them of the circumstances of this death, and deliberately misleading this student's family, seems almost like a form of collusion to me.  I'd like to see them prosecuted for this.

I would have to agree with you A's Fever.  If we are sending out our still young adults into the world, I think all of us would hope they are being sent to a safe environment especially when they are away at school.  And by the way, that college president felt they acted too hastily in firing him.  How's that for a good one?  What a jerk!  How does he sleep knowing he covered something up and it cost some young woman her life.  I know if it were me, I would have trouble knowing I could have prevented something and didn't.  Guess he was only concerned about the paycheck.

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 06:35:35 PM »

http://www.mlive.com/news/annarbornews/index.ssf?/base/news-32/124481776593710.xml&coll=2
Mapped crime data put on Web
Data for city block-specific but without actual addresses

Friday, June 12, 2009
BY TRACY DAVIS
The Ann Arbor News
Ypsilanti residents can now access current block-by-block crime data. Eastern Michigan University and the city of Ypsilanti partnered to create an online map to track crime, using a program designed by EMU's Institute for Geospatial Research.
The $15,000 program, created over several months, uses a Google map format and program set up to accept a data feed, said Michael Dueweke, institute manager.

The data will be block-specific, but won't show actual addresses to protect the privacy of crime victims. EMU's data will be posted daily, but Ypsilanti's reporting system will take two weeks, officials said. Greg O'Dell, EMU's executive director of public safety, said they hope to close that two-week gap with technological advances.

"It's something we had talked about for some time, and President Martin was very supportive of the idea,'' O'Dell said. "One of the things I pledged is that we would be a very open police department.''

Crimes tracked include the seven categories that must be reported on campus under federal law - murder, robbery, arson, aggravated assault, burglary, criminal sexual conduct, motor vehicle theft and larceny from a vehicle.

The move comes a couple years after EMU closed an unpleasant chapter in its history, during which national controversy erupted over the university's failure to reveal that student Laura Dickinson's death in her dormitory room was a homicide. The university didn't acknowledge the death was a homicide until a suspect was arrested two months later. An internal university report and a federal probe found EMU violated federal crime reporting laws.

Now that the program has been created, it could be used to map crime data anywhere, including the entire county, officials said. Users will be able to see crimes that occurred in the previous 60 days.

O'Dell said he hopes the data will continue to show decreasing crime rates too. Breaking and entering, for example, was down 62 percent last year. And it will help clear up any misconceptions about crime patterns because the data will be there for anyone to see, he said.

The crime mapping application is located on the department's Web site at geodata.acad.emich.edu/Crime/Main.htm.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.