March 18, 2024, 11:47:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Murder and Crime Rate In Aruba  (Read 4737402 times)
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #200 on: December 10, 2006, 11:41:26 AM »

Posted by Hotshot on LCD --

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An arrest in the "Pitbull" Case. I cant understand it, but there are 2 people.

http://www.diario-aruba.com/2006/12/9/

Here is the Diario article:

ORANJESTAD(AAN): Durante tratamento di e caso cu a impacta Aruba esta e caso di Guadirikiri, casa di Dinesh Djoegan a haya oportunidad di entrega un demanda, relaciona cu loke a sosode cu su casa. Prome cu el a entrega e demanda, el a dirigi algun palabra na e acusadonan Sigmond H., Kim P. y Michael L.

El a puntra nan bao di lagrima, kico nan lo a bise, si en berdad nan lo a logra deshaci di e curpa di Djoegan, sin cu un hende a haya esaki. Despues di esaki sra Djoegan a puntra Kim.P, con e como mama di dos yiu a sinti, na momento cu el a cuminza corta e pia afo di curpa di Djoegan. Sra Djoegan no por a contene su lagrimanan y huez a splike cu eingelijk e no ta permiti di dirigi palabra na e momentonan ey na e acusadonan, sino entrega su demanda.

Looks like 3 suspects ... there is something in the 2nd paragraph about "cutting the leg" [off?]

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #201 on: December 11, 2006, 01:45:21 AM »

From Trip Reports dated 10-4-05 .....a tourist's observation.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

we went to carlos and charlies. we did see a young girl there who seemed fine and then all of a sudden dropped to the floor and was carried off to stage area. a few minutes later a man carried her out and we did not see or hear of her again. did not hear of anything bad happening to her either. however, the thought of her being drugged did occur to all of us there.

http://tinyurl.com/yksnc4

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #202 on: December 14, 2006, 10:02:15 AM »

Quote from: "msmarple"
Followup on the above from today's Diario:

Sospechoso A.U.I. di 27 aña a reporta na polis PELEA DILANTI CARLOS ‘N CHARLIE’S A RESULTA FATAL PA UN HOBEN Hoben Mayron Bayne di apenas 16 aña a perde su bida.

Believe the victim was Hoben Mayron Bayne, age 16.  Crying or Very sad

I *think* the suspect is "A.U.I." age 27. Is Carpe saying he committed suicide after he was arrested?

Posted by Leslie on LCD 12/13/2006

The man who killed the 16 year old boy, outside of C&C's did not commit suicide. His name is Anthony Ignacio and he is pictured after his court appearance.
http://www.cspnv.com/archivo/pdf/Dec/13/A-13-12-06.pdf
Page 10

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #203 on: December 16, 2006, 12:41:11 PM »

http://www.diario-aruba.com/2006/12/16

A man has been accused of killing a 4-month old child, I  think his own;  "DNA" is mentioned in the article.

Diabierna na corte a tuma lugar e caso den cual Ferdinand Alexander D. a wordo acusa di a mata Alexander D. E caso aki a impacta comunidad di Aruba, mirando cu e homber a wordo acusa di a mata su propio baby di 4 luna.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #204 on: December 17, 2006, 09:57:06 PM »

http://www.diario-aruba.com/2006/12/16

A man has been accused of killing a 4-month old child, I  think his own;  "DNA" is mentioned in the article.

Diabierna na corte a tuma lugar e caso den cual Ferdinand Alexander D. a wordo acusa di a mata Alexander D. E caso aki a impacta comunidad di Aruba, mirando cu e homber a wordo acusa di a mata su propio baby di 4 luna.

Re. the death of the baby "D" above - The following were posted in LCD #561 12/16/2006 and 12/17/2006:

Leslie posted:
His name is Ferdinand Alexander Dijkhoff...sound familiar?

Florida posted:
RUTH DIJKHOFF-HOLTMAN (Holtman is her maiden name)

MARGARITHA WERLEMAN e.v. DIJKHOFF (known as Rita)
(Dijkhoff is her maiden name...
FWIW: Werleman's own the Lighthouse Restaurant and hotels)

Also by Florida:
Adding: Roberto Dijkhoff is the Bank Manager
Could Ruth Dijkhoff work at the bank?
Did Paulus need to withdraw "big" or needed a loan?

In response to a query by Altruist , Leslie posted:
Yes, PVDS used Ruth Dijkhoff's name as a witness to his afternoon banking story, but we have no proof that it happened. There is no declaration from this woman and on June 18, 2005 a Ruth Gisela Dijkhoff-Holtmann died at the age of 50. Was her death from an illness, an accident, foul play or suicide? PVDS's witness statement from June 18th does not mention the banking story or this woman, but his June 23rd suspect statement does. Notice the dates. I am inclined to believe the woman who died was the same one who Paul named and that he knew she could never rebute his story.

MARGARITHA WERLEMAN e.v. DIJKHOFF (known as Rita) was the long-time VDS "maid" who was present at the house on May 30, 2005. Because of my ignorance of the Aruban naming customs, I don't know what Rita or Ruth's maiden names were or if they were related. Of course, Paul VDS would know if they were sisiters or sisters-in-law. Dijkhoff is a common name in Aruba. Another interesting fact re: the death of Ruth Dijkhoff is that her funeral arrangements were handled by the funeral home that Yolanda Wever co-owns and her funeral was in Germany. Did her body or her ashes go to Germany? Did that VDS maid go to the funeral in Germany and is that why her declaration to the polis was delayed? Now this young man, named Dijkhoff, is guilty of killing his infant daughter and it seems that drugs played a part in this crime.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #205 on: December 19, 2006, 08:35:17 AM »

MsMarple,

I guess we will have to await word on the death of the baby, if it was in fact murder, etc. but we have the shooting outside C&C as definitely one although no suicide involved.

Does the summary reflect the C&C shooting but not yet the baby?  You are so good to keep everything current!  Don't know how you do it.

All these robberies are just shocking.  At no time have I seen any warning concerning these and certainly not before the most recent times with the revamp of the tourist information.  I would definitely consider them violent most especially if I were the victim.

One always wonders what if they were present or walked in on burglars or woke up, etc. just what would happen in that event?  And these are directed at tourist so it is not as though this happens in some remote corner of the island among the locals, far from visitors who have been lulled into thinking themselves safe.   Confused  Beginning to look like a sort of cottage industry, rob the tourists!   Shocked

People do have the right to know their belongings are not safe in Aruba so that many still planning to visit could leave them behind.  Personally, I feel the better choice would be to chose a destination wherein there is adequate law enforcement to prevent or prosecute such activity even if it means only visiting our own beaches.  It isn't as though we don't have plenty of those and equally lovely.

Thanks for all of these posts and especially to MsMarple for keeping things up to date in an ever-changing situation.  

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #206 on: December 20, 2006, 12:56:26 AM »

Anna - I hope to update the Summary by year-end, and in fact to reflect a total as we know it for 2006. Of course this will entail editing the "place markers" on pages 9 and 6, I think it is, for our letters that are out there. (I'll figure it out ... )

The two recent bar incidents, and the baby case, are not in a summary yet.

I am hoping to find out more about Baby D. Goodness knows how Aruba "counts" things and what is the case here, but it did occur to me that it might have been baby shaking or negligence or an accident. The suspect (apparently the father) was pictured in handcuffs. (We don't have a translation - just what I surmise from the words I could pick out. There was a skull fracture. Another poster was able to add the last name.) It may be too soon to say whether Baby D is a "non-negligent homocide".

That Washington Post article especially noted "room invasions" which is truly scary. It is one thing to have stuff stolen from the beach, or from your (rental) car. Breaking into hotel rooms kicks up the danger level several notches.

And - we're pushing 6,000  Shocked  views? I have to say I am amazed.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #207 on: December 20, 2006, 08:28:20 AM »

I am a bit lost here, what Washington Post article?

Room Invasions???  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Home invasions are one thing and certainly scary enough but I cannot imagine the horror of having this happen in a strange surrounding.  And most especially one where the law enforcement is known to be less than concerned with the well being of their tourists.

Will look on the Lively Discussion as I don't know about this article.

Confused

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2006, 11:27:21 PM »

Anna - See previous page (10). Sue posted the article on LCD and I brought it over here. I have written to Gary Lee, the writer.

"Trouble in Paradise" was the headline. About the Caribbean area. I want him to know about this crime statistics issue.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2006, 12:58:02 AM »

Posted by Sue at LCD (emphasis added). Sign. I guess I'll write a letter to Gary Lee too.  Confused

Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found This at BFN interesting reading

http://www.newsday.com/travel/am-caribcrime,0,860966.story?coll=ny-travel-headlines

Trouble in paradise: Crime in the caribbean
BY GARY LEE
THE WASHINGTON POST

November 17, 2006, 2:35 PM EST

Accounts published in Caribbean news media and on locals' blogs indicate that break-ins at small hotels or vacation rentals are occurring more frequently on some Caribbean outposts and in parts of Bermuda and the Bahamas.

No overall regional statistics are available on vacation home thefts affecting tourists in the Caribbean. However, the most recent U.S. State Department consular information sheets, which give up-to-date safety information on countries around the globe, cite break-ins in the past year in St. Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Anguilla, St. Kitts, Nevis, Aruba, Bonaire and St. Maarten. The reports also have begun recommending that visitors lock valuables in hotel safes and other properties on almost all Caribbean islands, Bermuda and the Bahamas.

Until recently, the biggest worry facing most tourists in the Caribbean was petty crime: aggressive soliciting, muggings and purse snatchings. But in the past two years, according to accounts by travelers and in the Caribbean press, a rising number of infractions have occurred in vacation accommodations. In most cases, intruders broke into quarters and took cameras, cell phones, cash, laptops and passports. In some cases, they raped or killed.

In June, for instance, an American couple at Mago Estate, a small eco-lodge near the southern tip of St. Lucia, were awakened in the night by intruders. They were robbed, and the wife was raped, according to an account on a Web site they created. Two suspects are awaiting trial.

In a string of incidents that have rocked the island of Tobago in the past year and a half, four robbers -- masked and wielding cutlasses -- entered a rental villa in the upscale Mount Irvine area and attacked three men from England. The incident left two of the visitors with cuts from the weapons.

In July 2005, a British teen-ager vacationing with his family in a private residence in St. James Parish, Barbados, was shot and killed by an intruder. Three men have been charged.

To be sure, incidents like those affect a minuscule percentage of travelers to the Caribbean.

"We're not saying don't go to these islands," said a State Department spokesman, who asked not to be quoted by name, in keeping with department policy. "But take the same precautions that you would in other places."

Most tourism authorities and property owners also emphasized the low crime rate in the islands compared with resorts in the United States or other places. In some islands, officials have responded by beefing up crime-fighting forces. St. Lucia added police officers, brought in senior law enforcement officials from England and is installing a forensics lab to assist in crime follow-up, said Kirby Allain, a spokesman for the government of St. Lucia. In Tobago, the government plans to supplement the police force, install new streetlights across the island and introduce more patrols in popular beach areas. Anguilla also has increased its police force.

Faced for the first time with rising crime, many of the locals and travel vendors on the affected islands have been jolted. "Over the years, we have had so little crime that when we have some, it sets us back," said Kimberly Mahabir, a manager at Tobago's Caribbean Estates, Lands & Villas, a real estate and rental agency. "But now we have to adjust and make whatever changes are necessary for our safety and that of visitors."

Thanks, MsMarple!  He should just read all the reports we have posted here if he wants to see robbery and even some of the "room invasion" but do note that the State Department is at least beginning to take note of this rampant crime.  And it would scare me to death to be mugged or have my purse snatched!  Guess I am a wimp but we don't have that kind of crime where I live and direct contact with the mugger would be totally harrowing for me and something to which I am sure most would prefer not to expose their children and family.  It must be totally traumatizing and I don't see it as something minor to be discounted or taken as lightly as the author of that article seems to do.

It's the fact that they claimed they had no crime before Natalee disappeared that makes it all the more dangerous for it is so easy to lull tourists into believing that for they want to do so.  Relax, feel safe and just enjoy!  Spokespersons for law enforcement even claimed their experience with murder was so limited, they would not know how to begin.   Rolling Eyes While it may be true they do not appear to know how to commence with a murder investigation, it certainly is not because they are rare in Aruba!

Such is not the world we live in today!  Better to know and be prepared to take extra precautions.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2006, 09:29:10 AM »

I see that some time overnight we passed the milestone of 6000 views!  Congratulations to us, Monkeys!

Anna

PERSONA NON GRATA

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #211 on: December 24, 2006, 10:07:49 AM »

Posted by Leslie -

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:    

Anna: There was a recent incident of a man urinating (orina) in the lobby of one of the highrise hotels. Is that a crime? It was in the same issue of Solo di Pueblo as the front page story of the 3 men arrested in the Burger King parking lot.

hi Leslie - I'm just throwing this one in here just because it's so nasty sounding! Guess that could be public indecency.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #212 on: December 25, 2006, 04:03:46 PM »

Yes, and there are the health issues also associated with eliminating in public places in inappropriate places so this would just about have to be a crime as well.

And it certainly is offensive.  Thought they were so sure they would be catering to a higher clientèle with the elimination of the young American tourists.  

Well, I do think we should list it for the health reasons alone and I certainly want to know if something like this happened in an area where I am staying and think most would as well.  I tend to think that for every one caught . . . . .and along those lines in this respect.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #213 on: December 25, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »

WorldJournier has posted a thread at Blogs for Natalee concerning recent statements by AHATA which contain the following:

The cost of operating a business on island has soared in the past years due to the increase in energy and other costs.  Even though the energy prices have decreased significantly – we still operate in an economy that is dependent and vulnerable to the many terrorist acts which take place around the world.  The energy crisis could become a reality once again in the close future and send our energy costs and thus costs of doing business to new heights.

The overall “feel” for the product (except cases where private sector investments have been made at the property level) has deteriorated in terms of cleanliness, increased traffic, road, signage, landscaping, etc.

Safety concerns have become more real – to make things worse – Aruba’s safety perception is far from being repaired – we are still under international – American- scrutiny and each and every event on island is quickly posted online.

The “Single most important source of information in making a decision to visit Aruba” remains “friends and relatives” – in other words – “word of mouth”.  We have seen how “word of mouth has gone high tech on the internet” – it only takes a split second for negative information about our destination to be posted online – The latest example is the change in LTU – Guests coming to the island for many years – 20 to 30 years- are now being confronted with a limited stay of 30 days.

This is from their most recent newsletter which they have posted online.

http://www.ahata.travel/ahata/manageArticle.do?dispatch=view&id=423

You can read the entire discussion about this and his thread at

http://blogsfornatalee.com/forums/index.php?topic=5893.0

So while using the internet to even post their newsletter, they find it odd that their crime might be reported there as well.

Welcome to the Information Age!   Very Happy

PERSONA NON GRATA

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #214 on: December 25, 2006, 09:38:05 PM »

www.b-info.com/tools/miva/newsview.mv?url=news/2001-03/text/mar11.bta

"Troud" and "24 Chassa" frontpage the news of the
killing of a Bulgarian on the Caribbean island of Aruba.
"Bulgarian Gunned Down in Caribbean," reads the headline in
"Troud." The two papers say the victim has not been
officially identified.  Former bankers Ivan Kitov of the
failed Businessbank and Hristo Alexandrov of the failed
AgroBusinessBank are on Aruba.  They fled from Bulgaria
after being charged with bleeding the banks.  "Troud" quotes
the commercial Bulgarian TV station bTV as reporting that,
according to an Interpol source, the victim was Hristo
Alexandrov.  "Troud" also quotes the theory of Darik Radio,
according to which the victim was Poli Pantev, former boss
of a racketeering crime syndicate in Bulgaria.  "Troud"
notes that none of the theories has been officially
confirmed.

bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #215 on: December 25, 2006, 09:56:38 PM »

http://tinyurl.com/y3dsj4   

Their moto is "That's not the way it's done here".
Posted by Lauri Poutry from Boston, MA on 01/20/2005
We were very dissatisfied with the response received by the hotel staff regarding jewelery that was stolen, a backed up toilet and a tour bus that never picked us up.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #216 on: December 25, 2006, 10:33:01 PM »

I wonder if it is so popular to rob the tourist because they have learned
that they seldom will return to go to court or press charges to the extent
needed for a conviction?  

Must be working out well for them.   Evil or Very Mad

PERSONA NON GRATA

Florida
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #217 on: December 25, 2006, 10:53:45 PM »

I apologize if this has been posted here already....
Leslie had found this connection:

June 18, 2005

Ruth Dijkhoff-Holtman (50) dies
http://www.mementomori.net/05148.html

Rene' van Heyningen (33) murdered
He worked at the Valero Refinery
His wife came home to a ransacked/bloody house
His body was found at a cemetery with his gray pick-up truck
He was decapitated..."Columbian Neck Tie"
His wife (29) was charged with the murder
She is now appealing her conviction

http://www.voiceofalabama.com/am21jun05-1.pdf
Page 3
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #218 on: December 26, 2006, 01:11:56 AM »

Posted by Klaas:

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:    

A master plan is needed for better police integrity  
ORANJESTAD – An investigation report on the efficiency of the Police Corps of Aruba (KPA) regarding integrity, states that the control on work procedure is poorly; promotional transfers take place, while there is a disciplinary investigation going; and there is no correct follow up after irregularities within the corps are signaled.

Forensic Services Caribbean in Curaçao did the investigation by order of Justice-minister Rudy Croes (MEP). Amigoe learned this from documents that the paper received for perusal. The report was already given to the then chief of police Ronny Bernadina on April 3rd of this year. The investigation took place in 2005 and based on the findings, Forensic Services Caribbean advices to draw up a master plan to deal with the integrity risks. Based on conversations with some key-officials within the KPA and external partners of the corps, like the Security Service, the Public Prosecutor, and the Coastguard, they have mapped nine risks. They have also analyzed summaries of integrity rules violations within the corps. They first noticed that many rules regarding work procedures and work processes are established, but that these are not univocal and not conveniently arranged. The procedures differ per (police-, editor) district and are implemented or interpreted differently.” Besides, several regulations are not complete. Not everybody is familiar with the procedures, they are difficult of access, and several of the versions used are outdated. Several procedures are too complex and have therefore lost their powers. “They have become dead letters”, states the report.

There is lack of control on the observance of the procedures in all sectors of the organization. This has to do with not having qualitatively good employees on managerial positions. Another reason is that there is lack of open culture, in which employees dare to talk to each other. In order to restrict this risk, the bureau advices to further specify the career policy and to organize trainings that would provoke a culture change within the police corps.

A third risk that can cause the integrity of the corps to come into play is the lack of confidence when it comes to exchange information. Confidential information is leaked to third parties and nobody knows what to do with the information or that the information can be used against you. “This lack of confidence has consequences for the internal- and external communication”, states the report. It also forms a hindrance for working effectively and efficiently. Their advice is again a culture chance in order to create confidence.

http://www.amigoe.com/english/

Florida
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #219 on: December 26, 2006, 02:32:19 AM »

1998:  Amy Bradley was asked to go to C&C in Aruba......

There was a Steve Croes that was a part of the band.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.