March 28, 2024, 10:50:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Murder and Crime Rate In Aruba  (Read 4739756 times)
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #380 on: March 12, 2007, 03:26:28 AM »

MsMarple,
You are doing a wonderful job of keeping tabs on all the crimes happening n Aruba.  I guess the huge stash of cocaine did not technically happen there but in Amsterdam?  That's a lot of cocaine!   Shocked

Hope Sandy will come and translate some of the things for us.  Sorry I am so little help, not enough hours in the day for me right now.  Things should become better in that regard before too much longer.  At least that is my best hopen that die will.

Keep fighting the good fight!

Anna

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #381 on: March 12, 2007, 02:37:15 PM »

Hi Anna - Yes, I only posted the drug bust because it seemed pretty big (over a ton). At least that seemed big to me - what do I know about "norms" for drug smuggling?  Laughing

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #382 on: March 12, 2007, 02:44:36 PM »

From the M&C Summary (currently page 16):
??/??/2006 - 33-yr-old Colombian man sentenced for molesting an 11-yr-old mentally +++++++ girl. Dates mentioned in the article are November 2005 and June 2006; cannot determine when the incident(s) occurred, however this case is not listed in the SM 2005 Summary.
From Bon Dia 2006 “Year in Review” issue: http://tinyurl.com/y2efz2

From SM Front Page post, Amigoe 03/12/2007:
More attention on sexual abuse of handicaps
ORANJESTAD – Sexual abuse of minors and mentally handicaps will receive more attention.  That is the result of an assignment in Aruba that Corine Melis finished recently.  Melis is police inspector with the National Police Corps Services in the Netherlands.  

Melis has put guidelines and proposals for improvement of the interrogation of mentally handicaps on paper for employees of the Youth- and Vice Squad in Balashi.  The studio where the interrogations take place is refurnished and made customer-friendly.

With Posters in Papiamento and Dutch, the attention of the population is fixed on the duties of the Youth- and Vice Squad.  The sexual abuse of minors and mentally handicaps is still a taboo on the island.  The program Cerca Dika on TeleAruba will pay attention to this subject.  There was a need for Melis’ instructions, because the Police Corps in Aruba had no expertise in-house for the interrogation of mentally handicaps.
Before she joined the Police Corps, she was youth leader in an institution for mentally handicaps.  Once with the police, she became youth- and vice detective.

She was on vacation in Aruba last year and stayed with a friend that, as psychologist, was committed to the Foundation for Mentally Handicaps (SVGA).  There was a case of sexual abuse of a mentally handicapped minor right in that period of time. Due to her personal interest, she got in contact with Eric Lake, Youth- and Vice Squad inspector in Aruba and later also with chief superintendent of police Peter de Witte.  Melis received the go-ahead for a work assignment in January, which she could use pretty good for an internal study in the Netherlands.  The instructions that are now on paper are totally in accordance with the guidelines of the Public Prosecutor.

Tuyo Werleman of SVGA said that he is very pleased with the result of this assignment.  Not only the police received instructions, also the employees of SVGA received usable information from Melis on recognizing customers’ behaviour problems that derive from sexual abuse.  Inspector Lake was also pleased with the results.  Melis said that now that more attention is paid to the possibility to report sexual abuse, the department can expect a bigger number of complaints.  The department might have to consider increasing her staff in the future.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #383 on: March 13, 2007, 02:00:28 PM »

Not sure if this has been posted yet.  I'll copy to the Murder and Crime thread.  Posted on a membership only message board:

http://www.aruba-bb.com/viewtopic.php?t=42549

Someone was mugged outside The Occidental Hotel.
(This was posted on Playa Linda's board by Randrew.)

"Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:17 pm Post subject: Mugged In Aruba March 12th
I just got back from Aruba Saturday. My second day in Aruba last week I was mugged outside the Occidental hotel.
I have been going to Aruba for approx. 12 years and never had a problem. I own a timeshare at PlayaLinda, but could not get an additional week this year, so I stayed at the Occidental for the first time.
I was walking to the left of the Occidental on the sidewalk out by the street at 7:30pm. It was less congested on this side of the sidewalk which is why I chose this path to walk.
On my way back to the Occidental as I was passing the construction site I sensed someone walking behind me. I didn't think much about it and the man asked me for a cigarette. As I turned around to hand it to him, I was punched in the head with a fist full of keys. With his other hand he ripped my gold chain off my neck. I swung and punched him in the face and he ran through the construction site. I yelled for help, but there was no one around.
When I got back to the Occidental and asked for first aid for the cuts to my head and face and the Police, all they seemed to care about was that it didn't happen on their property.
The Police didn't seem surprised and said you need to be careful during the high season as it's very busy.
All in all, I've been lulled into a false sense of security over the years and have always defended Aruba in light of all that's happened there over the past handful of years.
I will continue to go to Aruba. Bad things can happen anywhere. I just wanted to warn anyone to be careful in this area of the highrise district. STAY AWAY FROM THE CONSTRUCTION SITE BY THE OCCIDENTAL. "
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #384 on: March 13, 2007, 02:12:30 PM »

Thanks klaas.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #385 on: March 14, 2007, 02:53:53 PM »

Another post about crime in Aruba from the Aruba forum you need to be a member to read in:

http://www.aruba-bb.com/viewtopic.php?p=498114#498114

Patsfan74
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:18 pm    

We also were victims of crime in Aruba recently

I was at the Holiday INN last week and my wife left her diamond bracelet on the top of the mini fridge thats in the room the first night we got there.

Being dizzy from the trip and chasing our 2 year old around, she forgets to put in the safe that night, we get up the next morning to go to the beach and when we get back to the room to get ready for dinner she notices the bracelet missing.

We notify the front desk and housekeeping but they weren't much help. They would talk to the housekeeper and see if she saw anything.

The following day I was in my room taking a nap and I hear 2 quick knocks on my door and someone comes rushing into my room. Startled to see me in there he says "I am here to fix the shower you called and said didn't work" , I tell him that no one called and he should leave my room at once. I couldn't beleived he just barged into the room. Beware if you are staying at the Holiday Inn. I heard alot of people on the beach complaining about the maintainence workers just barging into rooms without them calling.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #386 on: March 15, 2007, 12:46:16 PM »

klaas posted this in the LCD 03/15/2007:

Four passengers were caught with more than 200 ‘cocaine balls’ in heir stomach, which they wanted to take to Amsterdam.
ORANJESTAD – In the night of Sunday to Monday, custom detectives arrested four passengers that were just about to board the KLM aircraft to Amsterdam. The four were suspected of transporting narcotics inside- or on their body.

The brothers T.S.A. and T.S.E. v.d. B. were arrested and taken to the airport customs office, where they were thoroughly investigated. Their body language revealed that they had something to hide. Both were turned over to the organized crime department of police. The assistant prosecutor said that x-rays showed that the two had actually swallowed cocaine balls.

About the same time, another man and woman were arrested. The woman was acting suspicious during a routine check. Her behavior was nevertheless reason for arresting her and the man that was with her. The woman seemed pregnant. They were turned over to the police for further investigation. The woman, who was definitely pregnant, admitted having swallowed cocaine balls. The total weight of the cocaine was not determined yet, but it was packed up in more than 200 balls.

http://www.amigoe.com/english/

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #387 on: March 24, 2007, 02:38:50 AM »

Quote from: "msmarple"
From the M&C Summary (currently page 16):
??/??/2006 - 33-yr-old Colombian man sentenced for molesting an 11-yr-old mentally +++++++ girl. Dates mentioned in the article are November 2005 and June 2006; cannot determine when the incident(s) occurred, however this case is not listed in the SM 2005 Summary.
From Bon Dia 2006 “Year in Review” issue: http://tinyurl.com/y2efz2

Considering our language difficulties, it is amazing that we are as accurate as we have been.  That would be thanks to your diligence.

From SM Front Page post, Amigoe 03/12/2007:

----snip------------
With Posters in Papiamento and Dutch, the attention of the population is fixed on the duties of the Youth- and Vice Squad.  The sexual abuse of minors and mentally handicaps is still a taboo on the island.  
-----snip--------

Just what does that mean?  STILL a taboo as though at some time in the future this is going to be perfectly acceptable?  What an odd thing to say.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #388 on: March 25, 2007, 12:08:45 PM »

http://www.aruba-bb.com/viewtopic.php?p=502508&highlight=#502508
lanztx
Freshman
 Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Don't think I will ever visit this Island again!

Our trip came to a screaming halt at midnight last night. Why, might you ask? Well after having a pretty good week we were having our farewell cocktails on the veranda of our rental villa. When all of a sudden we get a yell for help from one of our group who was sleeping in one of the downstairs bedrooms with her two kids. Some one had just woken her up by grabbing jewlery, watches, and a billfold from the night stand next to her bed. When the theif saw he had woken her up he ran out of the room. By the way the room was directly below where we were sitting. As us guys jumped up and ran to see what happened the thief jumped the wall and ran down the beach. We never even got a look at him. We did see a white truck scream down the road away from the beach parking lot but never got close enough to see a licence plate. When we got back to the villa we found out that before the thief had walked into the room he had first scaled a fifteen foot wall and climbed into a very small window in the master bath. The window was maybe 15 inches wide and the same high. He also cleaned that room out of a laptop, watches, and jewlery. This room was ten feet from where we were sitting and people had used the bathroom several times shortly before midnight. After talking to the local cops they told us that there has been a large rise in crime. They also implied they are keeping it under wraps because it is high tourism season. They also said because of the large amounts of construction they are sure most of the crime is being commited by imported workers. Frankly I don't care who is doing it. I'm glad no one got hurt and that things can be replaced but I wouldn't feel safe in Aruba again. Getting robbed while you are sitting fifteen feet away and wide awake, Having some thief walk into a room where people are sleeping. I had a bad feeling about this island after reading some other posts here on this web site. Guess I should have listen to my gut it ussually isn't wrong.
Moral of the story never feel safe where ever you are!!!!

Forgot to mention took the cops almost an hour to respond. I saw no real show of the police force except the two speed traps on the main road on two different days. And when they did show up they didn't really do anything except take statements from us.

Then posted this today:

I want to clear things up a bit from my last posting. I was very tired and had just gotten home when I posted.
The robbery happened Thursday night shortly after midnight. We were staying in the Villa Alexandra. We flew home on Friday afternoon on Delta. Half of our group was awake. Three adults and all 6 kids were sleeping. 6 of us adults were enjoying our last night with a few cocktails and listening to the basketball games. We were sitting on the veranda with all the outside lights on. The lights in the pool were even still on, since we let the kids stay up until 10 pm swimming. When one of the adults, who had two kids sleeping in their room, right below the veranda, was awakened by someone grabbing their belongings from off the nightstand next to the bed she was sleeping in. The person bolted out of the room. She was stunned and probably in shock and didn't make it to the door to yell for help until he had been gone for a full minute. Once he ran he headed north toward the pubic beach. Two of us guys headed the same direction down the beach. One of us headed up the driveway and then down the street to the beach. When running down the street a white pick up flashed past and turned into the parking lot for the beach. With in seconds it turned around and headed back toward the high rise area. As it pasted our guy it turned on the high beams in his face. As soon as it pasted him by it shut off it's lights until it was out of sight. When us three guys got back to the house we were informed that the other bedroom had also been roobed. The police were called by the time any of us guys made it off the property. They took almost a full hour to show up. They did nothing more than take our statements and tell us to pick up a copy of the report in the morning. There were 4 officers in all two never entered the house and stayed in the driveway talking to a couple of us guys. They stayed arounded for a total of 20 to 30 minutes. When we picked up our copy of the report it was incorrect and didn't have all the items that were taken on it. We were told it could not be changed even if it was not complete. It felt like since they knew we were leaving in a few hours that they really just didn't care.

The biggest problem I have is the boldness of the whole thing. This all happened while we were awake and clearly visable. Walking into a rooom where people are sleeping takes a big set. Crime happens everywhere we all know that, that isn't my complaint. It was the lack of response and a general lack of police presents on the island. We take a trip with the whole family every other year and are always careful to lock everything up. Never thought we would need to lock the bedroom door when one adult is still up and only 6 feet away from it. We have done this on many trips. We do this at home when sitting on the deck in the back yard, Front door locked back door open. This was not an issue of us not being careful.

Now the issue I have with a few of you on this message board is why do people go straight to "it's a made up story"? I thought it was set up to share info. I got some great info from this board. When I posted a very scary, very real problem on the island that I experienced first hand I get attacked and pretty much called a liar. Come on people there is no perfect place on earth. There might be places that some of us think are close. Sorry I just don't think Aruba is one of them.

This was a very bad situation. Think if the robber had gone into a room where your kids were sleeping with your wife, while you were sitting directly above them, and took your jewlery, wallet, laptop, etc...

I was planning on posting our trip report about all the great things we did. Because we did have a lot of fun and enjoyed a number of things. I just wanted to let everyone know safety is an issue on this island. After some of you atacked me, I'm not sure I will ever post here again. To those of you who gave me some great info thank you very much. To those negitive people sorry you have nothing better to do then attack others.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #389 on: March 25, 2007, 12:50:09 PM »

Thanks klaas.

Room invasion - especially when people are IN the room - is just a horrible experience.

Imported construction workers? I doubt it. This kind of thing is invariably an inside job. And notice it was the visitors' last night, too.

Thugs.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #390 on: March 25, 2007, 03:23:44 PM »

Buckeye posted another room invasion on the LCD 03/25/2007:

Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject:    

Not sure we have this one but:

....Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:29 am Post subject: Aruba Divi Divi All Inclusive - Hotel Security Useless

We stayed at the Divi Divi for 7 days. The hotel was clean and it was very beautiful. The buffet at both the Divi Divi and the Tamarijn did have lots of flys but nothing that caused us not to eat.

We only experienced a problem with the security. On the second night of our stay at the Divi, my father who was staying in an adjoining room from my wife and I heard a loud noise when we were out around 11pm. He walked into our room to find that a man was standing over our cameras and valuables in our room. He had taken the "permanent" side of the sliding glass door off the track and basically walked in. My father yelled at the top of his lungs and the man ran, dropping his cell phone, which we kept and gave to the police. It was a local person who broke in....

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #391 on: March 26, 2007, 11:46:31 AM »

More reports from the Aruba bulletin board about crime problems in Aruba.

http://www.aruba-bb.com/viewtopic.php?p=503301&highlight=#503301

Kododo
Senior

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject:    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could go into 'great details', but will be re-labelled AGAIN as an Aruba bashing aruban....
In past posting I warned against the "rose colored glasses", only to get rediculed....The Island is no longer safe, as many remembers the past.
If only every victimized tourist would post their experience(not being shamefull), and if the 'local' papers were printed in English, then the 'shades of Jamaica' will shine thru.
Crime is high, and ever increasing in violence on the island !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ryusam
Senior

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kododo, sorry to say but I'd have to agree with you unfortunetly. This incident at these villas is but the tip of the iceberg. I know I'm going to get criticized for saying this bit so be it. I also agree with alot of other posters, crime can happen anywhere and does. But when I'm going on vacation I don t want to be looking over my shoulder all the time to be the next victim, and spending 3 k a week for it. I can do it at home for 3 k less.. With the money we're all spending in Aruba these days to go on vacation the last thing we want is to be a victim of a crime. But it happens every day of the week to tourists and locals alike. I also agree, if all who have heard of, or been a witness too, or even a victim, we could add another section to this bulletin board. Why some on here continue to sugar coat it, its is amazing to me. 90% of us who post on this board are just vacationers, pure and simple. Who happen to love this once very simple Island. Those days are gone. Make now doubt about it. All this has happened for a hundred reasons, no need to bring up every little pet complaint, or tit for tat crime storys on here. If you've been going there for a while like us, "23 years", theres no need to explain it to you. You should know whats going on!!! If you don t, and don 't wanna find out, or don t care, and wanna walk around with your head up someplace, good luck with your sunny days at the beach attitude, you just might end up on the daily police journal like so many hundred others have!!! And yes before any of ya ask, I've been a victim also!!!

Chris
Extra Helpful Expert

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject:    

I just returned from the island last night, after a wonderful 3 weeks there. I will NOT go into details, so please don't ask, but this was not the only home invasion last week while the renters were there. I know of one other at the beginning of last week where the couple was sleeping, and their rented home was robbed between midnight and 5am of cash ( just what was in the wallet at the time), wallet, camera, etc. The home did have a security system, and was alarmed at the time of the robbery, but came to find out, a "couple of windows" were not on the alarm system and one of those windows was the point of entry.

The next day, the security system was corrected to include motion detectors, but their belongings were not recovered.

A PLBR member was also mugged in front of the RIU the week before at 7:30pm walking back to the resort.

Like anywhere else in the world, precautions should be taken.

I am very sorry to hear another was robbed last week.

Eagle-Beach Boy
Extra Helpful Expert

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject:    

We have been going to Aruba since 1989.  

I just want to say:- "Our Aruba of yesteryear is not Aruba of today".  

I base this on the great increase in non-Aruban workers who come from a different culture where crime is more a way of life.

dreamingwithyou
Prolific Very Helpful

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject:    

I have heard that illegal drug use is on the rise as well, probably fueling the need to rob/mug tourists to pay for their expensive habit.

arubajoey
Extra Helpful Expert

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject:    

I got a very big laugh out of you Aruba Coolaid drinkers stating that it must be the "foreign workers".

Yeah, thats right, no Aruban's are capable of crime.

Like Arubadebi said on another thread the Arubans are "gentle loving people". Come on folks you don't have "rose-colored" glasses on anymore you have blinders on.

Picture yourselves as the three monkey's

SEE NO EVIL - HEAR NO EVIL - SPEAK NO EVIL

That's how you view Aruba and it's peolpe. Nice thoughts but not very realistic.

So for the rest of us in the REAL world I will approach Aruba as I always have and that is not to ever let my guard down.

Here is a job for Eddy and others on the Island. How about getting us the REAL statistics from the Aruban Government/Police on Crime Statistics.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #392 on: March 26, 2007, 01:07:08 PM »

Ooooohhhh, klaas - excellent; thanks.

That island needs to figure out that ignoring, or covering up, this stuff only leads to much, much more crime.

I think the polis don't even bother investigating the majority of these incidents. Word gets around ...

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #393 on: March 29, 2007, 12:34:04 PM »

I posted this on LCD 03/29/2007:

http://www.diario-aruba.com/2007/3/29/

Uni contra detencion di Saladin! MANIFESTACION CONTRA PROBLEMATICA DI CHOLLER DEN CENTRO DI CIUDAD
ORANJESTAD (AAN): E problematica cu choller a yena buchi di tur hende akinan na Aruba. A yega ora pa Ministerio Publico actua cu man duro pa loke ta trata e abuso di e chollernan, kendenan pa negligencia di gobierno ta haci y deshaci den centro di nos ciudad sin cu pa colmo nada por worde haci di parti di esnan afecta.

Esaki tabata e caso di e conocido comerciante Michael Saladin, kende a worde aresta pa motibo di a saca un arma di candela pa un choller cu tabata tin su casa teroriza cu tanto molester, kiebro y ladronicia.

Ayeratardi, un grupo di sostenedornan, entre nan comerciantenan, famia y amigonan a tene un manifestacion contra di e problematico aki y logicamente pa protesta contra e detencion di Michael Saladin.

Manera por mira riba potret, e manifestantenan tabata grita entre otro: “Hiba e chollernan Santa Cruz”, “Si ta yiu di Minister of Gobernador e no lo tabata cera”, “Friends and family si ta gana cu huurmento di shelter”, “Cobarde”, “Abusador”, “Ta pueblo ta paga’, etc.

Pueblo ta rabia cu e maneho di Minister Booshi Wever y su partido, kendenan ta pensa so riba Friends and Family pero no riba bienestar di nos pueblo.

Online Pap tranlator:

uni contra detencion of saladin! manifestacion contra problematica of choller in centro of town

oranjestad (aan): the problematica cu choller owing to fill buchi of everybody akinan at aruba. owing to arrive hour for ministerio publico actua cu hand duro for thing is deal the abuse of the chollernan, kendenan for negligencia of gobierno is haci y deshaci in centro of we town without cu for colmo nothing can worde haci of part of esnan afecta.

this was the caso of the conocido comerciante michael saladin, that owing to worde aresta for motibo of owing to saca one arm of candela for one choller cu was have his casa teroriza cu tanto molester, kiebro y ladronicia. {Businessman? Michael Saladin chased a drug addict away with a firearm.}

ayeratardi, one are of sostenedornan, among they comerciantenan, family y amigonan owing to as one manifestacion contra of the problematico here y logicamente for protest contra the detencion of michael saladin. {Saladin was detained (along with the choller); for Saladin, it was a gun charge.}

as can see on potret, the manifestantenan was bark among otro: “hiba the chollernan santa cruz”, “si is child of minister or governor the not will was cera”, “friends and family if is earn cu huurmento of shelter”, “cobarde”, “abusador”, “ta people is paga’, etc.

people is angry cu the maneho of minister booshi wever y his faction, kendenan is think only on friends and family but not on bienestar of we people.

This prompted a people's protest, presumably of the arrest of Saladin. One of the several signs they were carrying said, "One Happy Choller Island."

Another article same day, Diario says that Michael Saladin is a businessman, a U.S. citizen with legal resident status on Aruba, and is/was in some way connected to NASA ?? with high security clearance ??
and his family has contacted the Consul General on Curaçao.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #394 on: March 29, 2007, 12:37:05 PM »

klaas posted this on LCD 03/29/2007, from an Aruba bulletin board.

jaccli
Freshman

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:33 am Post subject:

I think people on this board have to except the fact that there is a problem in Aruba concerning crime . I don't think it has anything to do with workers . I do think it has a lot to do with drugs . I can't tell you how many times a day I see kids selling drugs Eagle beach , Palm beach, downtown even in front of hotels . I was asked once if I wanted cocaine in front of Ling and Sons and I'm a middle aged bald guy !! I worry for our children, I would never let my kids go to Carlos and Charlies . That area is called cocaine alley drug dealers everywhere. If there is cocaine dealers there is crime - and Aruba has a lot cocaine dealers.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #395 on: March 30, 2007, 03:35:41 PM »

Amigoe.com, 03/30/2007 - More on the Michael Saladin firearm arrest, from his chase after a "choller".

Protest against drug addiction problem  

ORANJESTAD – About 500 to 600 protesters showed their support to Michael Saladin, by protesting against the increased problems with drug addiction.  The protest march was peaceful; the banners spoke or themselves; the general sentiment is that hardworking people should not suffer under the addiction of others.  

The march started around 17:00 in the Wilhelminastraat to the location where La Linda was at the Caya Betico Croes.  Michael Saladin is still under medical observation.  His lawyer Ruiz said that the matter has struck Saladin so bad that he is bad off physically and mentally.

“Usually, he is a cheerful man, but now he is down and even depressed.”  Ruiz indicated that the big turnout at the protest march and all the expressions of support, are a big support for him and his family.

Tomorrow is the eighth day of custody.  Ruiz expects another session with the examining judge, who will decide whether to order further detention or not.  Ruiz hopes that based on his health condition and the fact that he has small children, the judge will decide on not ordering further detention.  “Besides, being a businessman and owning two businesses that are open 24 hours a day with 11 employees, Saladin has a big responsibility.”  Ruiz says that there is no uncertainty about the fact that Saladin has aimed his weapon on the choller that threatened him.   That’s not the case.  The weapon was in his hand but he didn’t aim it at the choller.  

The American consulate general in Curacao asked the police and the public prosecutor for information on Michael Saladin’s situation.  This is standard procedure for the consulate, because Saladin is American citizen.  Vice-consul Bill Furnish indicated that the consulate always make inquiries when something happens to an American citizen abroad.  They do that so they can answer possible questions of family in the US.  Due to the American privacy-act, he is not allowed to discuss details with the media.   He did say though that he is very pleased with the cooperation of the police and public prosecutor here in Aruba.  He has not yet contacted Saladin directly.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #396 on: March 30, 2007, 10:39:32 PM »

And yet the only demonstrations we saw about the disappearance of Natalee Holloway were the two AGAINST Beth.

At least we know that the people of Aruba can demonstrate and apparently are not afraid to do so.  They are just selective in their concept of justice.   Rolling Eyes

Perhaps if they had expressed expectations of a different kind to their officials in the instance of Natalee, we might have had a very different outcome there as well.

How strange they are so outraged in this instance and yet have no problem with the manner in which Natalee's disappearance was investigated.  Or not investigated as it was in this instance.

PERSONA NON GRATA

dkpen
Monkey Junky

« Reply #397 on: April 02, 2007, 11:27:39 PM »

Hi!

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not so thought I would add it. It's an accident resulting in death. More than likely the "Jet-sku" company didn't give good instructions on jet-sky safety and usesage. Per Aruba.

Posted by cee: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Sad News
Just heard on my local news tonight that a 44 year old man (last name Powers) from Massachusetts was killed in Aruba on a jet ski. He leaves behind his wife and 4 children. My prayers go out to his family. It is in the local paper, but in Spanish.

The highlight in the DIARIO (local paper in PAPIAMENTO, not spanish),
Mr. Powers family were all vacationing in Aruba. He and one child were on one waverunner, and two other children of his , were on another waverunner. These two waverunners ran into each other , resulting in Mr. Powers death. This accident occurred Friday afternoon, a very, very sad situation.

http://www.diario-aruba.com/2007/3/31/

dkpen
Monkey Junky

« Reply #398 on: April 02, 2007, 11:30:13 PM »

Posted by Paul Druhan: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:33 pm
Post subject: aruba Restaurants&crime
Two things show up on the board.One the Restaurants have gone quit a bit,and so has crime.I think it,s time that the police become more visible at night in the high rise area and downtown.

http://www.aruba-bb.com/viewtopic.php?t=43468

dkpen
Monkey Junky

« Reply #399 on: April 02, 2007, 11:34:32 PM »

Quote from: "dkpen"
Hi!

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not so thought I would add it. It's an accident resulting in death. More than likely the "Jet-sku" company didn't give good instructions on jet-sky safety and usesage. Per Aruba.

Posted by cee: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Sad News
Just heard on my local news tonight that a 44 year old man (last name Powers) from Massachusetts was killed in Aruba on a jet ski. He leaves behind his wife and 4 children. My prayers go out to his family. It is in the local paper, but in Spanish.

The highlight in the DIARIO (local paper in PAPIAMENTO, not spanish),
Mr. Powers family were all vacationing in Aruba. He and one child were on one waverunner, and two other children of his , were on another waverunner. These two waverunners ran into each other , resulting in Mr. Powers death. This accident occurred Friday afternoon, a very, very sad situation.

http://www.diario-aruba.com/2007/3/31/

spell check: jet-ski

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.