March 28, 2024, 03:08:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Murder and Crime Rate In Aruba  (Read 4739855 times)
SunFreak2
Monkey Junky

« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2006, 09:29:38 PM »

Quote from: msmarple
Quote from: "Appeals"
Quote from: "SunFreak2"
I remember 2 more but do not have the specifics:

1) young American boy around age 11 who was vacationing in Aruba with his family.  Went out in boat with an Aruban man, and was never seen again.  The Aruban claimed the boy fell overboard, but no body was ever found and the case was not investigated.  There is a tribute website on the Internet for the boy.

2) Remember the story of the American Doctor who sent his young ex-wife to Aruba with her friends?  This supposedly occurred the same week that Natalee went missing. One of the friends got mixed up with the wrong people, and 2 men threatened them to "pay up." The male friend fled the island, leaving behind the blonde who looked like Natalee.

Hi Sun, I ran across the posting about the second one just yesterday but did not take it all that seriously.  Maybe my bad.  At least I think it is the same one.  Should I try to find it again?  His post said something about the intention was to murder him and rape and murder the girl.  

I am not familiar with the first one.

We have the first one. The second one - we don't have.
quote]

Sorry if this is redundant.  This is the forst one and I don't believe I saw it posted.

On November 14, 2005 DETROIT, MICHIGAN TV channel 7 “WXYZ” reported:

<QUOTE>

Michigan Teen Missing in Aruba

For two months 7 Action News has been investigating the disappearance of boy from Brighton.

Now the FBI is getting involved to find out what happened to a young teen on the island of Aruba.

Police in Aruba say Max Devrees’ disappearance was just an accident. But Action News has learned the FBI is now stepping in to investigate this case because it might be much more than just an innocent mystery in Aruba.

The inviting ocean and sandy beaches of Aruba have proven dangerous for an American more than once recently.

The world knows about Natalee Holloway, the Alabama teenager who disappeared in southern Aruba.

But another young teenager, from Brighton, Michigan also vanished without a trace in Aruba. His name was Max Devrees.

Yvonne Devries took 14-year-old Max and his younger sister to Aruba in May of 2004. She wanted them to spend some healing family time together following the death of her husband.

"I want to find out if this was truly an accident. Was my son set up to be taken in Aruba? Was I followed and stalked and my son purposely targeted? We went there as basically a memorial service, privately for the family, in honor of their dad," said Yvonne.

At their hotel the Devrees family ended up hanging out with another hotel guest. He was a fellow American, 56-year-old David Stacey Sr.

Stacey offered to pay for Max to rent a wave runner so they could go out on the water together.

"Max was jumping up and down, really excited, let me go, let me go. And I did," said Yvonne.

That was the last time she would see her son.

"They didn’t come back in 45 minutes. They didn’t come back in an hour. Pretty much immediately, I had that sinking feeling something was wrong," explained Yvonne.

The police launched a massive ocean search. After several hours they rescued Stacey about four miles off the coast, but Max was never found.

According to Aruba police reports obtained by Action News, Stacey told police Max’s wave runner stopped working. He said he tried to tow Max’s watercraft, but that stranded both machines.

Back on land Stacey told police Max somehow slipped away. But Stacey’s story seems to change, depending on who he spoke to.

In one police interview, Stacey said, "Max started swimming towards shore."

But Yvonne said he told her something entirely different, "He said, 'I heard a thump and Max was floating away.' I said, 'was he hurt?' 'Well, I don't know, that was our said agreement between the two of us, to save our energy.' 'What do you mean an agreement?' If it was your son, floating away, you would yell out to him, are you okay?"

But in his first interview with police, Stacey told detectives he didn’t have an agreement with Max.

Stacy also told police, "I do not remember if I called [out to] Max. I don’t think I did."

But in another statement 2 days later, Stacey said, "I called out to [Max], but he did not answer."

Corey Williams is a Michigan detective who is helping Yvonne learn the truth about what happened to Max.

He said the statements to the police don’t add up, "The minute I started reading, I started seeing what I would describe as glaring inconsistencies."

Williams is also concerned about how quickly the Aruban police closed out the case without digging further into Stacey’s background.

"It appears to me that there could possibly be foul play involved. It definitely appears to me that there needs to be more investigation done," said Williams.

In the Aruban police reports, David Stacey Sr. told detectives that he did not kill or do anything to hurt Max.

As for the Aruba police, they have not returned our phone calls to tell us why they closed their case so quickly.

Yvonne wants someone to find out how and why her son vanished, "Whatever you hold dear to you, just make sure you really realize what you do have, make sure you treasure it everyday, because when you wake up, you don’t know if that’s going to be your last day with them."

<END QUOTE>
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2006, 09:26:21 AM »

This was posted by Appeals on the LCD on 9/14/2006. I am including it because of a previous post here that quoted about the boat/radar tracking.

"Boats On Parade In Aruba

By Meri Ulrich
Mar. 31, 2006

During his little show on "48 Hours", Gerald Dompig showed the audience some computer screens that are housed at the police department where he conducts his business. We saw boats being tracked and he claimed that those were the boats that were tracked on the night that Natalee Holloway disappeared. He showed that every single boat that came and went out of Aruba on that fateful night was tracked on that screen.

He lied.

On May 30th, 2005, Aruba had NO working tracking system in place. It didn't exist.

Raytheon Canada to Install Coastal Surveillance Radars in Dutch Caribbean
Posted 30-Nov-2005 03:10
Related stories: Americas - Other, Coastal & Littoral, Contracts - Awards, Europe - Other, Radars, Raytheon
Also on this day: 30-Nov-2005 »

Raytheon Canada won a contract valued at approximately $12 million (EUR 10 million) from the Royal Netherlands Navy and the Coast Guard of the Netherlands Antilles & Aruba (CGNA&A) to build an integrated coastal surveillance radar network on the islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, including long-term maintenance and training.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2006, 10:30:13 AM »

Folks, I got a reply from Mr. Sorenson, the U.S. Consul General for The Netherland Antilles. Basically he just directed me to where to send the information. I will try to do that today.

I think my letter to him, dated Aug. 11, is on page 2 of this thread.

I am glad he replied - I was getting discouraged.

Appeals
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2006, 11:49:30 AM »

Quote from: "msmarple"
Folks, I got a reply from Mr. Sorenson, the U.S. Consul General for The Netherland Antilles. Basically he just directed me to where to send the information. I will try to do that today.

I think my letter to him, dated Aug. 11, is on page 2 of this thread.

I am glad he replied - I was getting discouraged.

That is great news, Ms. Marple.  Please don't get discouraged.  Anything having to do with governmental agencies of any kind are very slow to respond but the important thing is that you got that response.  

I just discovered yesterday that in international and UN parlance, the following terms are used that are different from those commonly used in the U.S.  FWIW

Murder = "intentional homicidees"

Aggravated Assault = "major assaults"

Larceny = "thefts"

Also, are we aware that Aruba is a recent member of INTERPOL and that there was a meeting with several Aruban authorities and INTERPOL just in June?  

OK, back to research

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2006, 12:42:59 PM »

Appeals - Believe me, I know well how ploddingly grind the wheels of government - first-hand!

Meant to mention that his letter was from WASHINGTON - not Curacao. Guess everything routes that way.

Appeals
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2006, 05:28:37 PM »

MSMARPLE,

I have drafted an email to Rita Cosby, posted at the lively, pg. 43, I think, in response to your request for help on the Tracy Allan matter.  I checked Rita's blog wherein she talked about that show before I drafted it.  What do you think?

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2006, 10:31:54 PM »

MSMARPLE,

I have drafted an email to Rita Cosby, posted at the lively, pg. 43, I think, in response to your request for help on the Tracy Allan matter.  I checked Rita's blog wherein she talked about that show before I drafted it.  What do you think?

Appeals - I just posted this at LCD (quoting your post there about this - although I'm afraid I messed up the quote stack):

Well, Duh - I just hauled off and decided to call my local FBI field office. (If they did the composite, why not go for it?)

I guided an agent (or whomever I spoke to) to an SM LCD page with a comparison.

At least 2 people there looked at the comparison and got REALLY interested - while I was on the phone with them. Asked several questions; wanted to know who the other guy was (Steve Croes, and of course I told them that he had been a guest at ALE's attitude adjustment center last summer).

I gave a link to the Cosby show but not sure it still works (I had the date of the show tho.)

Also wanted to know what was superimposed on top of the pix, which I can't read ...

I mentioned that SC and some other of these kids we've been watching for over a year have BALLOONED ... I really think they're on some kind of steroids ...

I am sorry - I didn't know we needed to get permission ...  Embarassed  

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2006, 12:13:58 AM »

08/24/1996 – Richard Henriquez last seen on Aruba. He was being treated for a nervous condition at a local facility. Possibly in South America.  

http://www.visitaruba.com/facts/newsdesk/missing.html

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2006, 01:11:04 AM »

Summary - Murder & Crime on Aruba
Most Recent Year first as of 1/9/2007

The Summary has been updated and is now on Page 16 of this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/y872v3

Appeals
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2006, 01:25:10 PM »

The crime in Aruba needs to be publisized. We were there Thanksgiving weekend, there is not enough police presence or security. Our battery was stolen from our rental car & while we were at the police station, we met Americans who had their room robbed. I WILL NEVER TAKE MY CHILDREN TO ARUBA AGAIN> I also was told that a tourist was robbed last year in the same area our battery was stolen. WE WERE STRANDED IN A TOURIST AREA WITH OUR SMALL CHILDREN & HAD TO HAVE THE RENTAL CAR TOWED> ARUBA GOVERNMENT DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE CRIME... WE PAY ENOUGH IN HOTEL TAXES & UTILITY CHARGES IN ARUBA WHEN WE VISIT. WE SPEND OUR AMERICAN MONEY. .

Posted by: Kim C.D. | November 27, 2005 5:55 PM

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:SKp2pSBc8FIJ:www.shadowscope.com/archives/
2005/06/crime_in_aruba.php+Aruba+crime&hl
=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=9

Appeals
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2006, 01:37:39 PM »

Caribbean Update

December 01, 2001

There has been an increase in crime in Aruba, reports the U.S. State Dept. (Nov. 9, 2001),which notes: "Although strolling downtown or in other tourist areas after dark used to be generally safe, Americans should note that there has been a sharp rise in armed robberies.
Newspapers report these incidents as being mostly drug related. There have been incidents of theft from hotel rooms. Petty crime and credit card fraud continues to be a problem."
Copyright 2001

http://www.shadowscope.com/archives/2005/06/crime_in_aruba.php

Appeals
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2006, 01:49:25 PM »

http://www.nationalledger.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=1&num=196

Great Article:  Natalee Holloway is Not Aruba's Only Crime Problem

(kind of long, did not want to bring over unless it was of interest to more than me).

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2006, 09:08:10 PM »

Posted by Jacqueline at LCD 9/16/2006 -- Suicides in 2002.

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:14 am Post subject: troubling experience in Aruba

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

good morning everyone...

I have been following this forum for the past couple of weeks now and have gained much insight from reading here....many thanks.

For those of you who may be interested, I would like to share an experience my husband and I had in Aruba some three years ago...we were on one of our many trips to Aruba and were staying at LaCabana resort. Our time there was during the first anniversary of 9/11, so there were not many tourists on the island at the time.

We were staying in a top floor unit, located in the back of the resort, facing the highway. One morning as we were preparing to start our day and heading to our car in the parking lot below, we were shocked to see that a young Aruban male had deliberately jumped to his death from the roof of the resort above us. Due to polis and rescue personnel, we delayed in leaving as planned.

As troubling as we felt this event was at the time, we were even more surprised to learn that a similar suicide had occurred two weeks earlier at the Hyatt....again some young Aruban male had lept to his death from this resort.

Little or no mention was made of the suicide in the local newspapers during our days to follow in Aruba.......we wondered why it got so little attention. In talking to the locals there and mentioning this most troubling of events, we were told at that time that chances were, both guys were in serious trouble with drug dealers on the islands,,,,,columbians, most likely, and that these folks are ruthless.....these two, chances are, leapt to their deaths to spare their immediate families of any repercussions from these drug lords....

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2006, 09:15:59 PM »

Posted by Jacqueline 9/16/2006 on LCD.
Also, Hotshot says she thinks this incident was in November/December 2005.

Ono wrote:
I'm probably incorrect, but it seems as though it was early in 2006? Memory fails me...sorry ~ Remember we all thought it rediculous that someone would take poison, as it was slow & painful. We thought he had been forced to drink it.
<end>

Jacqueline wrote:
I remember that , it was a man who died on the beach and there was a bottle of poison next to him.

Alot of us remarked that drinking poison is an awful and weird way to commit suicide, and if I remember reading something either by a poster or in the news that "suicide by drinking poison is not uncommon in Aruba"

Yeah. Right.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2006, 10:19:05 PM »

http://www.nationalledger.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=1&num=196

Great Article:  Natalee Holloway is Not Aruba's Only Crime Problem

(kind of long, did not want to bring over unless it was of interest to more than me).

Here are excerpts of the article Appeals mentions (emphasis added). See Appeals' post above for a link to the entire article.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Jim Kouri
Aug 10, 2005  

When Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway went missing in Aruba, America and the world began to take a close look at the island.  The way they have handled the Natalee Holloway case has put the tiny islands’ police department and courts under a high powered microscope.  But if you think the disappearance of Natalee Holloway is Aruba’s only problem when it comes to the issues of crime, think again.

Located only 20 miles off the coast of Venezuela,  the island paradise of Aruba serves as a transshipment point for illicit drugs—primarily cocaine from South America. Smugglers generally move large loads of cocaine into Aruba on fishing vessels, private yachts, and go-fast boats. They also move drugs out of Aruba inside maritime containerized cargo and airfreight. Drug trafficking organizations continue to exploit Aruba’s air and sea links to the continental United States, South America, Europe, Puerto Rico, and other Caribbean nations. Most of the cocaine transiting Aruba is destined for European markets—primarily the Netherlands.

Aruba has large free-zone facilities (areas that allow goods to be held and then re-shipped elsewhere without paying an import or duty tax), which provide opportunities for bulk shipments of cocaine to transit the area without the scrutiny of local officials. Cocaine shipments in containerized cargo increasingly are transiting the area, specifically through the free zone. The free-zone facilities on Aruba are conducive to transshipments, not only of drugs, but also chemicals used in illicit manufacture of drugs. Some firms in the free zone are suspected of involvement in money laundering.

Drug couriers easily blend into the hundreds of thousands of tourists who visit Aruba each year.

The proximity of Aruba to South America, a high standard of living in Aruba, and an underdeveloped law enforcement infrastructure make the country an attractive meeting place for South American, European, and U.S. drug traffickers.

Aruba plays a significant role as an offshore center for drug-related money laundering. Money laundering organizations are well established on Aruba and enjoy protection from considerable bank secrecy laws and a stable currency. The organizations use Aruba’s offshore banking and incorporation systems, free-zone areas, and resort/casino complexes to transfer and to launder drug proceeds. Although money laundering was made illegal in 1999, the legislation requires a provable underlying crime with a penalty of at least 4 years.

Aruba is not a source country for any of the chemicals used in illicit drug production and has no specific legislation controlling essential chemicals. Difficulties abound when attempting to gauge the levels of chemical transshipment through Aruba, as most chemicals legally pass through Aruba’s Free Trade Zone—an area in which local law enforcement has limited oversight due to local regulations and manpower shortages.

The Aruba Organized Crime Unit, a small investigative team of the Aruba Police, or Politie, has responsibility for investigating large-scale drug trafficking crimes.

Cocaine, heroin, and marijuana are readily available in Aruba. Wholesale amounts of cocaine sell for from US$3,800 to US$4,500 per kilogram among drug traffickers; heroin sells for about US$23,000 per kilogram; and marijuana sells for about US$2,000 per kilogram. These low prices suggest a heavy flow of drugs into Aruba. According to Aruban statistics, an estimated 14 percent of Arubans regularly use illicit drugs.

Sources: Central Intelligence Agency, Drug Enforcement Administration, National Security Institute

Jim Kouri, CPP is currently fifth vice-president of the National Association of Chiefs of Police.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2006, 12:21:57 AM »

MsMarple, Appeals, Sunfreak and ALL who have contributed,

You are making it happen!  I think all MSM should receive multiple copies of the Summary as presented by MsMarple and hope that you and others will join in seeing that they get enough copies to break their attention barriers.

We need this information also in the travel and tourism industry and I wonder if BOC could help in that regard.  I think I will email it to him and see what he thinks about that.

Now this afternoon I was reading that the Caribbean Region is second only to Sub-Sahara Africa in the instances of humans contracting the HIV/AIDS syndrome  and virus.   Guess you know what I am thinking about that as well. . . . . . . . . Well, I didn't know that.  There is so much people do not know and that has not been told about this region and Aruba in particular!  We believed that it was a safe and crime free area and we were wrong.  

People deserve to know the truth before they go to a place and spend their hard-earned vacation time and money!  They truly do and we can help let them know that they just might want to think twice about this as a destination.  Think of the heartbreak for Natalee and her family that could be prevented for others for if Natalee and her parents had known just what we know now and have listed on this thread, I believe the outcome would have been quite different.  If only they had known. . . . .

Again, I am thrilled at the effort you have presented and the wonderful hard work that has gone into making this sad knowledge available.  God bless each one who contributed and each who bothered to read this.

Anna

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2006, 12:45:15 AM »

Anna - thank you so much for starting this thread, it was a great idea!  Anna, MsMarple, Appeals, Sunfreak and everyone else who contributed...great job!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2006, 03:10:00 AM »

Quote from: "klaasend"
Anna - thank you so much for starting this thread, it was a great idea!  Anna, MsMarple, Appeals, Sunfreak and everyone else who contributed...great job!

The words right out of my mouth.  Thanks, Klaas.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2006, 01:21:08 PM »

Just posted this on LCD; wanted to make sure it's EVERYWHERE ...

Folks, I just sent copies of the Murder & Crime thread SUMMARY (on page 6), with a letter, to the list below.

The letter is similar to what I sent to Mr. Sorenson, and that is posted on M&C page 2.

The first on the list is where Consul General Sorenson told me to send the information.

Overseas Citizens Services - U.S. Dept. of State, SA-29, 4th Floor,
2201 C Street NW, Washington DC 20520

Dr. Condoleezza Rice, U.S. Secretary of State, 2201 C Street NW, Washington DC 20520

Robert Sorenson, Consul General, Box 158, J.B. Gorsiraweg 1, Curaçao, Netherland Antilles

Governor Bob Riley, State Capitol, 600 Dexter Avenue, Montgomery AL 36130

Sen. Jeff Sessions, 335 Russell Senate Office Bldg., Washington DC 20510-0104

Sen. Richard Shelby, 110 Hart Senate Office Bldg., Washington DC 20510-0103

Rep. Spencer Bachus, 442 Cannon Building, Washington D.C. 20515

Would love to see some monkeys sending it off to travel agencies, travel columnists, media people.  If anybody wants the Word version, I'll email it to Klaas.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2006, 04:02:27 PM »

klaasend posted on LCD 9/18/2006:
GOODMORNING ALL!

In todays Diario - looks like something about a bouncer and a tourist:

http://www.diario-aruba.com/2006/9/18/

Trahando como bouncer na un club nocturno den tempo liber….EMPLEADO DI GOBIERNO DETENI PA MALTRATO SERIO RIBA TURISTA

ORANJESTAD(AAN): Un empleado publico kende ta traha den su tempo liber na un club nocturno ta deteni actualmente pa maltrato pisa contra un turista cu a bay para te na hospital despues di un maltrato serio.

E empleado publico aki di Fam F contrario na Hulanda unda un Arubiano a muri pa maltrato di varios bouncer, esun na Aruba si ta sigui deteni pa e maltrato cu el a comete.

Kico a pasa exactamente cu cos a yega asina leu no ta conoci, pero e empleado publico aki ta sera y e por tin consecuencia tambe pa su trabao.
E turista parce cu te hasta a worde interna den hospital pa e maltrato cu el a haya a base di golpinan cu a ser propone riba dje.

Recherche den e caso aki a detene e sospechoso mientras cu apartemente turista mes a bay su pais caba.

Easywriter wrote:
Its a case where a public employee working as a bouncer at a night club battered a tourist who had to have medical attention at the hospital. The bouncer has been arrested and is in jail. He will lose his job. In the meantime, the tourist has returned home.

Thanks Klaas & Easy.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.