April 18, 2024, 06:49:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese Wedding  (Read 2312 times)
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 22, 2007, 11:39:24 AM »

A couple of monkeys had asked for pics of the wedding I attended yesterday, so here goes. The pics are mainly of the authentic Chinese cuisine. It's obvious what most of them are, but the one that looks like a platter of stuffed mushrooms is actually sea cucumbers.  Shocked

I have to admit that I wasn't brave enough to eat most of the food, but the people there were wonderful. There were probably only about 8 people there who didn't speak Chinese, and we all gravitated to one table together. Although everything about the ceremony and reception were conducted in Chinese, whenever anyone approached our table, they quickly switched to speaking English and were very, very gracious to us. The bride's parents came to our table and we exchanged toasts, and then the bride and groom came to our table and we exchanged toasts with them as well. I think that's a lovely tradition to have.

Oh, and as you can see from the pics, the sushi platter was the one that was the most popular at our table. We did have two Chinese men sitting with us who interpreted most of the food for us, and they were the ones who most enjoyed the other dishes, LOL.

P.S. I don't think I will EVER learn how to eat with chopsticks without throwing food all over myself.  Embarassed

I Stand With The Girl
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 11:52:57 AM »

BT - such a sweet looking wedding couple  Very Happy

I would have just eaten lots of cake  Laughing  Laughing although I do think I spied some plain old salmon so I might have risked that

but you are right, baby duck feet  Shocked  Exclamation  Exclamation  Exclamation

I continue to stand with the girl.
AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 12:44:27 PM »

BT, My niece and my sister in law toured China last year on an invitation from the Chinese woman's volleyball team. The whole UofWash.  Volley ball team went over there for 2 weeks.  

They both said that although it was culturally fascinating, they almost starved to death as there was so little they could find to eat that they could identify.  When they got a little desperate, they learned not to ask what they were eating, just tried it, and moved on if they couldn't handle it.  She said that on the way to the airport to return, the bus passed a MacDonalds, and the whole team screamed for the bus to stop a minute!   Wink

~~We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails ~~
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 11:49:33 PM »

Dear BT,

Thank you so much for your post about the Chinese wedding and the food and ceremonies. I went to a Philippine wedding years ago wherein the bride had a microphone and sang and then the groom sang and then both sang together.

Because I was an Army brat and grew up in Asia from age 1-4, I am heavily influenced by Asian culture in many ways. My mother bought lots of decorative pieces such as a large hand carved cedar chest, ginger jars (ceramic), metal enameled vases, dishes, unique bowls, lacquered trays, etc. A vast array.

I love the food. I love the culture. I love the innate caring and respect for the elderly. I love the hospitality. I love to see all Asian artwork.

My apartment is decorated in Asian Italian. Asian is the only decor that feels like home to me.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 12:06:29 AM »

BT - thank you for sharing these photos with us.  They are indeed a lovely bridal couple and the feast looks wonderful.  I am a lover of Chinese (indeed all Asian) cuisine.  There are some things I choose not to eat  Shocked  Shocked but enjoy the less sensational dishes!
I notice the Oriental garden in the background complete with goldfish.  Hope you took photos and notes for your intended garden  Wink

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.