April 27, 2024, 06:21:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would You Allow Your Child To Ride With A Complete Stranger?  (Read 2234 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« on: July 28, 2007, 10:01:55 AM »

Would You Allow Your Child To Ride With A Complete Stranger you had never met.  In addition, none of your friends do not know them and they are probably from out of state.  Now read this an think about the implications.

State clears Lifest ride, but not operator in fatal accident
Report does not place blame for death of Menasha teen

By Dan Wilson
Post-Crescent staff writer

Wisconsin Commerce Secretary Mary Burke said Friday that her department's investigation into the July 14 thrill ride accident that killed a Menasha girl "suggests there was operator error."

The Department of Commerce report concluded the Giant Swing ride was in good operating condition.

Elizabeth Mohl, 16, was killed when she fell about 50 feet from the ride during Lifest at the Sunnyview Expo Center in Oshkosh.

The report does not place blame for the accident.

"But the report does suggest operator error was involved," Burke said. "But it is not within the scope of our report to say that, but our findings do suggest that.

"The construction and the condition of the ride did not contribute to this accident."

According to the report, the Giant Swing ride consists of a large crane anchored to a trailer with a cable extending down over a ramp. The ride raises one to three riders into the air, then one of the riders pulls a release, which drops the riders and swings them back and forth.

Much of the report focuses on a D-ring attachment, called a caribineer that locks with a screw lock to the harness.

Asked if that was found in an open position, Burke demurred.

"It was found to be functional, I can't exactly say if it was fully locked or not," she said.

Burke said the equipment and her department's report were being turned over to the Oshkosh Police Department for further investigation.

While the equipment was not found to be faulty, the department banned Air Glory, the operator of the ride, from operating any rides in the state for the rest of the year and issued its owner 25 state citations.

Also, Air Glory is prohibited from operating any rides in the state for the next five years without a prior inspection.

Efforts to reach the owner of Air Glory, Gary Ross, were unsuccessful Friday.

The report said that one of the two people working that day had been on the job only two weeks and had a history of improperly hooking up riders.

"Mr. Ross also said Mr. (Derek) Armelin also had a tendency not to lock the carabineer after attaching the rider to the ride. Mr. Ross said he always worked on the left side when working with Mr. Armelin so that he (Mr. Ross) could check the carabineer before attaching the safety rope. Mr. Ross stated if the carabineer was locked, there would be no way it could come loose when a person was attached to it," said the report.

Of the citations issued, one related to the carabineer mechanism.

The citation said the ride only had one carabineer and rides of that type require two.

Burke said "having two does not necessarily mean it would have prevented (the accident) but one is sufficient if it is properly locked," she said.

The report also recommends enacting an emergency rule to "minimize the possibility of operator error by setting out explicit requirements for rides that suspend riders with carabineers, harnesses and wires."

The Giant Swing ride was inspected by state officials in 2003 when it was first registered, according to the report. Corrective orders were issued based on that inspection.

In August 2004, the ride was re-inspected and given a clean bill of health. The ride was not inspected in 2005. The ride was not registered in 2006 and did not return until this year, when it was scheduled for an inspection on July 17, three days after the accident.

"More frequent inspections would not have prevented this accident," said Burke.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »

Most kids take the school bus every day. Do we really count on the bus provider to scan the driver? In our school district recently we had a driver previously convicted of DWI driving the bus.......and he was again convicted of DWI for driving his personal auto .

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 10:28:59 AM »

Most kids take the school bus every day. Do we really count on the bus provider to scan the driver? In our school district recently we had a driver previously convicted of DWI driving the bus.......and he was again convicted of DWI for driving his personal auto .

Yes, times are changing.  We also have had one bus driver who DUI.  We had one sexual assault by a cab driver.  It took only a matter of weeks to change the regulations to require background checks on those providing public transportation in our area.

I may be paranoid, but I have never trusted the intelligence nor responsibility of the "roustabouts" who run rides at amusement parks.  Most often I observe them being more interested in "trolling for girls" that keeping their mind on the job.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »

I agree. Those amusement rides are becoming more and more dangerous because the people operating them are less qualified than in the past. Many of those people now are drug addicted, and are really not the kind I'd trust to do anything. Those jobs with a traveling amusement ride company are not where the bright, trustworthy people apply.
In my school district, we're lucky to have most of the same bus drivers year after year. But I have heard of bus drivers who use all kinds of drugs while transporting children, so I think drug testing should be mandatory, and random. It's too big of a risk to take with our precious children.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.