March 28, 2024, 01:41:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lively Case Discussion #667 7/27 - 7/28/2007  (Read 146768 times)
Karo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2007, 01:16:17 AM »

Quote from: "Katysmom"
Hi Monkeys,
Are any of you in the medical field?

I am not a nurse or a doctor.  I have worked in the hospital setting.  Do you have a problem or concern?  It's not that I necessarily can help...but I can care.

Janet, LOL!  I've seen them 3 times in concert  Very Happy
Karo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2007, 01:19:01 AM »

Sorry- I seem to get Tamik & Tibro confused sometimes  Sad
Katysmom
Monkey Junky

Everyone needs a helping hand once in a while

« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2007, 01:21:35 AM »

Quote from: "Karo"
Hi Monkeys,

I am not a nurse or a doctor.  I have worked in the hospital setting.  Do you have a problem or concern?  It's not that I necessarily can help...but I can care.

I have been having hellacious chest pains; left arm becomes real heavy, and my hand goes numb.  At the same time I have the pains I get a burning right below my ribcabe.  I thought it was heartburn but my doctor wants me to go in monday for a stress test.  I can't do the normal tread mill run because of my back back so they have to do it in the nuclear medicine depart.  All I've been told is that they will bring me to the verge of having a heart attack.  There will be two cardiologists in there among numerous nurses but still I'm scared as heck.  I need someone to explain this test more thourougly to me.  I don't know the name of it so I can't look it up my self.   I guess my main question would be: could something go wrong and I might end up having a real heart attack during the test?

If love could of saved you, you would of lived forever
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2007, 01:23:37 AM »

Hi Monkeys,

I have been having hellacious chest pains; left arm becomes real heavy, and my hand goes numb.  At the same time I have the pains I get a burning right below my ribcabe.  I thought it was heartburn but my doctor wants me to go in monday for a stress test.  I can't do the normal tread mill run because of my back back so they have to do it in the nuclear medicine depart.  All I've been told is that they will bring me to the verge of having a heart attack.  There will be two cardiologists in there among numerous nurses but still I'm scared as heck.  I need someone to explain this test more thourougly to me.  I don't know the name of it so I can't look it up my self.   I guess my main question would be: could something go wrong and I might end up having a real heart attack during the test?

I think this is what they are going to do.  Just found the link:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4743

Thallium Stress Test
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2007, 01:24:36 AM »

What if I can't perform an exercise test?

Sometimes you can't do an exercise test because you're too sick or have physical problems. In this case, a drug such as dipyridamole (di-pi-RID'ah-mol) or adenosine is given. This drug increases blood flow to the heart and thus "mimics" an exercise test. Then the thallium test is given
Katysmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2007, 01:25:26 AM »

Quote from: "klaasend"
Hi Monkeys,

I think this is what they are going to do.  Just found the link:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4743

Thallium Stress Test

I get a blank page

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2007, 01:26:34 AM »

Sometimes you can't do an exercise test because you're too sick or have physical problems. In this case, a drug such as dipyridamole (di-pi-RID'ah-mol) or adenosine is given. This drug increases blood flow to the heart and thus "mimics" an exercise test. Then the thallium test is given

See the above - I'll keep looking
Katysmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2007, 01:26:43 AM »

Are there any risks?

Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2007, 01:27:11 AM »

I do too..LOL!! Embarassed

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
Karo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2007, 01:28:40 AM »

They will monitor your heart very carefully during the test, and the cardiologists will be there.  They will end the test if they feel they need to do so.  I understand your worry....and I will keep you in prayer.  Yes, things can go wrong, but they also can go well, especially with the docs being there to help.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2007, 01:28:58 AM »

See the above - I'll keep looking

See if you can pull up this link:

http://www.cpmc.org/learning/documents/cardiacstress-ws.html
Karo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2007, 01:30:37 AM »

Good, Klaas has more info.  Klaas, what don't you know about?  LOL!!!
Karo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2007, 01:31:35 AM »

Quote from: "*******"

I'm relieved it's not just me!!!
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2007, 01:32:04 AM »

Quote from: "*******"

I'm the one with the Aussie accent, mate   Laughing  Laughing

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
mishy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2007, 01:33:59 AM »

Hugs and prayers for you Katy's mom. I hope they can figure out why you are having all of these problems...

I've been on a Janis Joplin tangent since I last posted....

Tibby!? You still here?

Bring Natalee home...
Katysmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2007, 01:34:19 AM »

Before the Test

DO NOT eat or drink for 6 hours before the test: You may have small sips of water.

No food or drink with caffeine for 24 hours before the test: No coffee, tea, sodas with caffeine, or chocolate.

Bring the requisition form signed by your doctor to your appointment or we may not be able to do your test.

About your medicines: Check with your doctor about which of your regular medicines to take or stop before the test.

Wear comfortable, loose clothing (pants or shorts). You are asked to undress from the waist up and wear a short gown for privacy and comfort.

Those are the instructions they gave me.  This sounds like it might be the one.  Thank you so much.  I don't know if I can do without the caffeine for 24 hrs ahead of time.  That could kill me right there.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2007, 01:34:47 AM »

Good, Klaas has more info.  Klaas, what don't you know about?  LOL!!!

I'm a good googler, lol  Laughing
Karo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2007, 01:35:19 AM »

Are there any risks?

Yes, but the risk of not being tested is greater.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2007, 01:35:58 AM »

Before the Test

DO NOT eat or drink for 6 hours before the test: You may have small sips of water.

No food or drink with caffeine for 24 hours before the test: No coffee, tea, sodas with caffeine, or chocolate.

Bring the requisition form signed by your doctor to your appointment or we may not be able to do your test.

About your medicines: Check with your doctor about which of your regular medicines to take or stop before the test.

Wear comfortable, loose clothing (pants or shorts). You are asked to undress from the waist up and wear a short gown for privacy and comfort.

Those are the instructions they gave me.  This sounds like it might be the one.  Thank you so much.  I don't know if I can do without the caffeine for 24 hrs ahead of time.  That could kill me right there.

You will be fine.  I read through the end of that and they say you can even go back to work after the test.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2007, 01:36:18 AM »

Are there any risks?

That is scary, Katysmom.  Will send you some prayers and hugs for Monday.

If anyone is close to having heart attack it would be the best place to be to have it - surrounded by cardiologists and machines.
I also wonder why more Doctors don't explain more to patients or give them reading material on their treatment.  They forget that the average person does not know all this stuff or they would be doctors as well

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.