April 16, 2024, 12:36:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book Club anyone?  (Read 21379 times)
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 28, 2007, 04:10:50 PM »

I know that a lot of us read - I do, rabidly in fact! Laughing

but I thought it might be fun for those of us that do love to read to do a book club on line...

You know, we all pick a book
then read it in sections
and discuss it... just like if we were meeting at Panera's  or each other's house...

what do y'all think??

we could go on the best seller list and decide... and we can always use the library....
let me know...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 04:05:51 PM »

We would need to decide on a title ... or some titles. Aye, there's the rub.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
shadow
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 10:13:57 PM »

Let me know . . . I'd be interested in a book club. Happy to research or suggest titles.

There is a basin in the mind where words float around on thought and sound and sight. Then there is a depth of thought untouched by words, and deeper still a gulf of formless feelings untouched by thought. - Zora Neal Hurston
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 12:34:15 AM »

well we can go to Amazon and read reviews and decide... what kind of books do y'all like?

I love mysteries and all kinds actually!  So let me know... I am even up for nonfiction if you guys would prefer...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 06:35:38 AM »

Well I'll just start off by telling ya'll what I have recently read and am reading. I just finished "America the Last Best Hope Vol I and II" by Bill Bennett. This is for those that love American history. I LOVED reading these books. Bill throws in so many little tid bits that are just fascinating. I highly recomend them.
After I finished Vol II I read Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhous Five" Yeah, I was supposed to read it back in high school and never did. And then when I learned the story behind Kurt and his political views I didn't want to read it but it was actually a very good book. Excellant dry and dark humor that I respect and enjoy. It's only 200 pages, I went through it in two days so I recomend it if anyone hasn't read it.
And now I am reading "What Would the Founders Do?" by Richard Brookhiser. I'm not far along but so far it is very interesting. It asks questions like"what would the founders think about gun control, war on drugs, stem cell research, gay rights...." But don't be bored. It's actually quite entertaining. The author does a great deal of research finding letters and such that the founders actually wrote pertaining to the issues we face today.
I like this idea of a book club. If ya'll want to read one of these or pick another for us all to read together I'm for it!! I love to read! I've got a couple in mind to start when I finish with the "Founder" book. Should I throw those out too? Maybe we should all just throw out some ideas and then collectively decide on one?

"They call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 07:57:57 AM »

I read alot of whodunnits.  I love all the Dave Robicheaux novels set in New Orleans and New Iberia, LA.  Author's name escapes me despite the fact I have read most of his stuff and some stuff twice. 

Another big fave especially for summer:  Randy Wayne White.  Florida locale.  Fun, laugh out loud stuff.  Main character is a marine biologist whose best friend is a hippie stuck in the 60's big time. 

I just read "The Memorykeeper's Daughter".  Wow.  Fabulous.  Email me if you want it.  It's wonderful. 

Right now I'm reading "Dairy Queen Days' by Robert Inman.  It's set in south GA.  It's great Southern stuff.  I have another of his to read as well.  (Borrowed both from my friend who read "southern stuff" one summer.).  Mrs. Red, this one will make you homesick for GA.  A really good little story.

I'm up for discussion....

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 11:58:03 AM »

I've been reading another great Southern author - Rick Bragg. "All Over But the Shoutin'" and "Ava's Man" are about his family, and "Somebody Told Me" is the collection of his wonderful newapaper articles, including the Pulitzer Prize aricle about Haiti. I highly recommend all of his work.
I'd be up for a bookclub, because reading is my hobby. I'm open to suggestions for new authors as well.
I love Anne Tyler. Any of her books are superb, if you like fiction.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 07:00:57 PM »

well it sounds like we all read lots... so lets try and go for it...

how about we start a reviews thread, and post two books that look interesting each and decide from there??  I won't have time tonight to do this but I will start it in the morning if y'all think it's a good idea...

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 08:26:45 PM »

Great idea mrs. red!
That sounds like a good way to get started.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 04:54:57 AM »

ok ya'll... how about this one... I bought " The First Commandment" by Brad Thor.
The reviews so far have been great. It's a suspense novel. I've read the first couple chapters and so far it has my attention! Similar to a John Grisham book. What do ya'll think? We haven't picked a book yet so shall we try this one?

Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 10:49:10 PM »

I could do that.... let me know...

I joined a in person book club we are reading Gone with the Wind.... but I haven't even started...

spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 04:51:26 AM »

I joined a in person book club we are reading Gone with the Wind.... but I haven't even started...

OMGosh! Are you saying you've never read GWTW?!!!!! You HAVE to read it! It is my favorite. I used to read it every year always around spring time. I would love to read it again. That book is one of my prized possessions. Shall we do GWTW then? I have read and own the sequel too.

Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 11:48:30 AM »

OMGosh! Are you saying you've never read GWTW?!!!!! You HAVE to read it! It is my favorite. I used to read it every year always around spring time. I would love to read it again. That book is one of my prized possessions. Shall we do GWTW then? I have read and own the sequel too.

Let me know what book ya'll want to do.  I'm game for either one that has been mentioned here.  I read GWTW years ago.  I would gladly read it again. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 01:10:53 AM »

We could do Gone with the Wind.... I read it eons ago.... just haven't reread it since...

I am currently reading the book The Unusual Suspect... by Stephen Baldwin on how he became a Christian... it's completely absorbing...

SPooky, the book I read every yeard and it's around Christmas... is

A Prayer For Owen Meany.... the movie was Simon Birch... heart breaking and hopeful all at the same time!

KnayKnay
Monkey Junky

The Good Witch!

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 12:14:18 AM »

OOOOO OOOOOO I wanna join.

Hurry - let's pick a book. We have to read it even if it's not our regular genre right?

This should be very fun.

How long do we have to read the entire book?

Hopefully someday soon baby Caylee will have some peace!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.