April 24, 2024, 04:34:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Petit Family Murders in CT-2007 SOLVED-Death Sentence for both men.  (Read 264253 times)
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #560 on: October 25, 2011, 04:05:23 PM »

http://www.koamtv.com/story/15870114/penalty-phase-begins-in-conn-home-invasion-trial

Defense cites sexual abuse in home invasion trial

A parole burglar facing a possible death sentence for killing a woman and her two daughters in a 2007 home invasion was sexually abused for years as a child but his ultra-religious family failed to get him proper help, his attorney told a jury Tuesday.

Joshua Komisarjevsky's adopted parents increasingly isolated him by home-schooling him and joining a church that had cult-like practices, according to his attorney, Jeremiah Donovan. He said the family failed to get him counseling and medications after he was raped and burned with a cigarette by a 15-year-old foster boy his parents had taken in.

In his opening statement at the trial's sentencing phase, Donovan told the jury that Komisarjevsky's biological family had a history of mental illness such as bipolar disorder. He was adopted at 2 weeks old by a couple who had fled Russia's communist revolution.

Donovan described Komisarjevsky's adopted parents as evangelical Christians. His father was controlling, rigid and authoritarian, was prone to tirades and forced the family to pray and cite scriptures.

The family attended church three or four times per week, along with daylong church functions. Komisarjevsky had to read devotionals as early as 5 a.m., memorize them and recite Bible verses as he raked leaves, Donovan said.

He said the jury would see textbooks the family used that offered a narrow view of the world, in which anyone who didn't accept Jesus as they did "is an influence to be avoided." The family's church rejected psychology, he said.

One of the family's churches put members in a mild form of trances, and practiced group humiliation and other beliefs that Donovan said were similar to a cult.

He was hospitalized at one point and diagnosed with depression, Donovan said. Komisarjevsky was willing at the time to undergo counseling and take medication, but his family sent him to a religious community in New Hampshire, where he was put in a program for troubled youths, Donovan said.

Oh, let's feel sorry for the raping murderer.  Boohoohoo   

These are my opinions and subject to change.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #561 on: October 26, 2011, 12:44:46 PM »

http://www.courant.com/community/cheshire/cheshire-home-invasion/hc-komisarjevsky-penalty2-1027-20111026,0,2760514,full.story
Komisarjevsky's Father Testifies In Penalty Phase

Family members of murder victim Jennifer Hawke-Petit arrived before Tuesdays penalty phase of the Joshua Komisarjevsky trial at Superior Court in New Haven. Johanna Chapman, and her brother Dr. William Petit, cross the street in front of the courthouse. (Richard Messina, Hartford Courant / October 26, 2011)
By JOSH KOVNER And ALAINE GRIFFIN, jkovner@courant.com The Hartford Courant

12:22 p.m. EDT, October 26, 2011
NEW HAVEN—

The defense laid the groundwork for describing Joshua Komisarjevsky's upbringing by calling his father, Ben Komisarjevsky, to the stand Wednesday morning, the second day of the penalty phase of the convicted triple killer's trial in the deadly Cheshire home invasion case.

In a halting, gravelling voice, which he explained was caused by Parkinson's disease, Ben Komisarjevsky began by describing his own middle-class upbringing by an artistic mother, who ran dance schools and was consumed by dance, and a jet-setting father.

Born in 1947, Komisarjevsky said his real father was a theatrical director who had been ill and died when Ben was 6 1/2. His mother did not explain anything to him about his father's death, Ben Komisarjevsky said, and it affected his schooling.
 ::snipping2::

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #562 on: October 26, 2011, 12:47:55 PM »

Steady stream of tweets from court.
http://twitter.com/#!/News8Now

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #563 on: October 27, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Dad-of-Cheshire-Killer-State-Should-Have-Helped--132705778.html
Dad of Cheshire Killer: State Should Have Helped
Benedict Komisarjevsky is testifying in the trial for his son, Joshua
By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN and Staff Reports
|  Thursday, Oct 27, 2011  |  Updated 12:18 PM EDT

The father of a man who could be sentenced to death for killing a Cheshire mom and her two daughters in a brutal home invasion in 2007 said in court on Thursday that the state should have helped his family more after a foster teen he took into his home sexually abused his son.

Benedict Komisarjevsky began testifying during the penalty phase of his the trial of his son, Joshua Komisarjevsky on Wednesday and was back on the stand on Thursday.

Komisarjevsky was convicted on Oct. 13 of capital felony killing, kidnapping, arson and sexual assault.

~ Peter Frampton
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #564 on: October 27, 2011, 09:29:56 PM »

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Dad-of-Cheshire-Killer-State-Should-Have-Helped--132705778.html
Dad of Cheshire Killer: State Should Have Helped
Benedict Komisarjevsky is testifying in the trial for his son, Joshua
By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN and Staff Reports
|  Thursday, Oct 27, 2011  |  Updated 12:18 PM EDT

The father of a man who could be sentenced to death for killing a Cheshire mom and her two daughters in a brutal home invasion in 2007 said in court on Thursday that the state should have helped his family more after a foster teen he took into his home sexually abused his son.

Benedict Komisarjevsky began testifying during the penalty phase of his the trial of his son, Joshua Komisarjevsky on Wednesday and was back on the stand on Thursday.

Komisarjevsky was convicted on Oct. 13 of capital felony killing, kidnapping, arson and sexual assault.

errrr....why didn't he seek help for his own son rather than expecting the state to help them..did they even ask the state to help? excuses excuses excuses  trying to defend a cold blooded killer...others are abused and don't murder other people..as awful as it is, others go on to help people rather than murder. It is a matter of choice..jmo...

Blonde
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #565 on: October 28, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »

NEW HAVEN —

Convicted killer Joshua Komisarjevsky's 9-year-old daughter may be called to testify in the penalty phase of his trial, in which jurors will determine whether he should be put to death or imprisoned for life without possibility of parole.

Sources said defense attorneys have subpoenaed the girl, who now lives with one of her mother's relatives.

Superior Court Judge Jon C. Blue said in court Friday that he would be considering a motion to seal the courtroom and a motion to quash a subpoena. He did not elaborate. ::snipping2::

http://www.courant.com/community/cheshire/cheshire-home-invasion/hc-komisarjevsky-penalty4-1029-20111028,0,190943.story

Behind Every Lie is a Clue to the Truth
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #566 on: October 28, 2011, 08:59:24 PM »

lowest of the low..bringing in his 9 yr old daughter..If he was any kind of a man, he would not allow this to happen. but we all know what kind of man he isn't...
wonder where the little girl's mother is that she isn't taking care of the child?

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #567 on: October 28, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »

lowest of the low..bringing in his 9 yr old daughter..If he was any kind of a man, he would not allow this to happen. but we all know what kind of man he isn't...
wonder where the little girl's mother is that she isn't taking care of the child?

ITA.  Lowest of the low.  I hope his 9 year old daughter won't have to come to court to testify.  I think it's already awful for her knowing her daddy had any part in the terrible things done to the Petit family.    You know though, this plan of Komisarjevsky's  to guilt the jurors from giving him the death sentence might just backfire on him if his 9 year old daughter does end up testifying. She's only a couple years younger than one of the Petit daughters that was brutalized, raped and set on fire while alive.  I would think the juror's would see Komisarjevsky's innocent daughter in the courtroom and think of the Petit girls and the jurors knowing what they know and what they've seen in the case, I don't think they'll have any problem with giving him the death sentence.  JMHO

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #568 on: October 29, 2011, 02:31:20 PM »

ITA.  Lowest of the low.  I hope his 9 year old daughter won't have to come to court to testify.  I think it's already awful for her knowing her daddy had any part in the terrible things done to the Petit family.    You know though, this plan of Komisarjevsky's  to guilt the jurors from giving him the death sentence might just backfire on him if his 9 year old daughter does end up testifying. She's only a couple years younger than one of the Petit daughters that was brutalized, raped and set on fire while alive.  I would think the juror's would see Komisarjevsky's innocent daughter in the courtroom and think of the Petit girls and the jurors knowing what they know and what they've seen in the case, I don't think they'll have any problem with giving him the death sentence.  JMHO
ITA MuffyBee and Cookie.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #569 on: October 29, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »

ITA MuffyBee and Cookie.
What a creep to do this to his daughter.  But then again, we don't know what else he's done to his daughter.  Maybe she'll enlighten the jury and this monster will get just what he deserves.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #570 on: October 31, 2011, 11:05:41 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/31/sister-killer-in-connecticut-home-invasion-abused-me/?test=latestnews

Sister: Killer in Connecticut Home Invasion Abused Me

She said the abuse began when she was about 7 and happened "quite often" before it ended when she was 9 or 10. She said her brother admitted to the abuse, which didn't involve sexual intercourse.

"I know Josh is not a violent person in nature," she said. "I know Josh would not intentionally decide he is going to kill. I know he would not intentionally harm or decide to kill the Petit family."

A prosecutor asked her if sexual abuse was violence. She called it an act of control.

She began to cry as she said her brother feels a lot of sorrow, self-hatred and anger at himself for the killings. But she said her brother doesn't like Dr. William Petit, the sole survivor whom Komisarjevsky beat with a baseball bat.

"He doesn't believe Dr. Petit did much to help his family out," she said.

I just don't understand why JK's feelings about Dr. Petit matter to anyone.  It makes no sense to me.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #571 on: October 31, 2011, 11:41:03 PM »

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/cheshire/article_fc725ea0-0419-11e1-b9b9-001cc4c03286.html
Sister: Komisarjevsky says Petit didn’t do enough to save family

At Komisarjevsky's sentencing hearing for the three murders Monday, Naomi Komisarjevsky testified that her brother feels "sorrow" and "self-hatred" for the deaths, but he feels no sympathy for Petit, whom he beat with a baseball bat during the invasion.

In his cross-examination, prosecutor Michael Dearington pressed Naomi Komisarjevsky on the question. She admitted that defense attorneys had indicated to her that the question would be asked at the hearing during meetings in previous weeks. She also said that the defense was aware of what her answer would be.

At summer camp at age 9 or 10, Naomi confessed to a camp counselor that her brother had been sexually abusing her for the last two years. Her mother, Jude, brought her home later that week, and she fell asleep before being woken up to attend a tense family meeting with Joshua and their father, Benedict.

Naomi Komisarjevsky testified that Benedict "questioned her motives" for the confession, asking whether she was hoping to break up the family, before Joshua eventually admitted to the abuse. Her bedroom was moved to a downstairs space further from her brother's, and the two were no longer allowed to be alone together unsupervised.

Despite his problems, Naomi Komisarjevsky and other family members who testified Monday maintained their belief that Hayes had been the ringleader of the home invasion, and that Joshua Komisarjevsky had no direct involvement in the murders.

"I don't believe he killed anyone," said his aunt, Karlie Lebatique.
Lebatique, the sister of Komisarjevsky's adopted mother, Jude, argued that his life had gone horribly awry due to a series of abuses, both physical and sexual, he endured as a child, and that he should be spared the death penalty by the jury.

"Josh, ever since he was in the womb, has been rejected, attacked, abused, doubted every step of the way, by people that were supposed to love him the most, and take care of him the most," Lebatique said. "He's done some awful things, and, you know, this is not an answer to kill him. He needs a second chance. He needs it again."

Defense attorneys have filed a subpoena for the daughter to testify in Joshua Komisarjevsky's trial, which prosecutors have filed a motion to quash. On Monday, Judge Jon C. Blue said he had received a letter from state Department of Children and Families Commissioner Joette Katz requesting that the child not be allowed to testify.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #572 on: November 01, 2011, 10:05:40 AM »

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/cheshire/article_fc725ea0-0419-11e1-b9b9-001cc4c03286.html
Sister: Komisarjevsky says Petit didn’t do enough to save family

At Komisarjevsky's sentencing hearing for the three murders Monday, Naomi Komisarjevsky testified that her brother feels "sorrow" and "self-hatred" for the deaths, but he feels no sympathy for Petit, whom he beat with a baseball bat during the invasion.

In his cross-examination, prosecutor Michael Dearington pressed Naomi Komisarjevsky on the question. She admitted that defense attorneys had indicated to her that the question would be asked at the hearing during meetings in previous weeks. She also said that the defense was aware of what her answer would be.

At summer camp at age 9 or 10, Naomi confessed to a camp counselor that her brother had been sexually abusing her for the last two years. Her mother, Jude, brought her home later that week, and she fell asleep before being woken up to attend a tense family meeting with Joshua and their father, Benedict.

Naomi Komisarjevsky testified that Benedict "questioned her motives" for the confession, asking whether she was hoping to break up the family, before Joshua eventually admitted to the abuse. Her bedroom was moved to a downstairs space further from her brother's, and the two were no longer allowed to be alone together unsupervised.

Despite his problems, Naomi Komisarjevsky and other family members who testified Monday maintained their belief that Hayes had been the ringleader of the home invasion, and that Joshua Komisarjevsky had no direct involvement in the murders.

"I don't believe he killed anyone," said his aunt, Karlie Lebatique.
Lebatique, the sister of Komisarjevsky's adopted mother, Jude, argued that his life had gone horribly awry due to a series of abuses, both physical and sexual, he endured as a child, and that he should be spared the death penalty by the jury.

"Josh, ever since he was in the womb, has been rejected, attacked, abused, doubted every step of the way, by people that were supposed to love him the most, and take care of him the most," Lebatique said. "He's done some awful things, and, you know, this is not an answer to kill him. He needs a second chance. He needs it again."

Defense attorneys have filed a subpoena for the daughter to testify in Joshua Komisarjevsky's trial, which prosecutors have filed a motion to quash. On Monday, Judge Jon C. Blue said he had received a letter from state Department of Children and Families Commissioner Joette Katz requesting that the child not be allowed to testify.

wow! did I read that right???
what was Dr. Petit supposed to do while he was almost killed himself??? I hate this Joshua and I think that this statement is going to backfire..the jurors are going to put themselves in Dr. Petit's place and they are going to be pizzed...jmo

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #573 on: November 01, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »

http://www.courant.com/community/cheshire/cheshire-home-invasion/hc-komisarjevksy-penalty7-1102-20111101,0,4848587.story
Komisarjevsky's Sister Testifies She Succeeded Despite Family's Troubles
Says Parents Didn't Seek Professional Help For Fear It Would Break Up Family

By ALAINE GRIFFIN, agriffin@courant.com The Hartford Courant

11:27 a.m. EDT, November 1, 2011
NEW HAVEN — Prosecutors continued their cross-examination Tuesday morning of the younger sister of convicted triple killer Joshua Komisarjevsky during the sentencing phase of his trial.

New Haven State's Attorney Michael Dearington asked Naomi Komisarjevsky, 29, about how she was able to earn a college degree and her current job in accounting "in spite of" growing up in a troubled family.

"You've managed to do well when confronted with similar obstacles your brother was confronted with?" Dearington asked.

Yes," Naomi Komisarjevsky said.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #574 on: November 01, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/11/01/1861689/sister-back-on-stand-in-conn-home.html
Sister back on stand in Conn. home invasion trial
JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN - Associated Press
Published: 11/01/11

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/11/01/1861689/sister-back-on-stand-in-conn-home.html#ixzz1cTINPJLB

The sister told a jury Monday he sexually abused her as a child for years.

Her name is being withheld by The Associated Press.

The defense says Komisarjevsky's religious family did not get him proper psychological treatment. His attorneys say he was sexually abused by a foster teen the family took into their home and later as a teen by someone else. Prosecutors say those claims came from Komisarjevsky and emerged years later when he faced prison time for 19 nighttime residential burglaries.

His sister said under cross-examination from prosecutors that she turned out successful even though she was raised in the same house and suffered sexual abuse as well.

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/11/01/1861689/sister-back-on-stand-in-conn-home.html#ixzz1cTIDt5N8

~ Peter Frampton
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #575 on: November 03, 2011, 09:30:24 AM »

http://global.christianpost.com/news/connecticut-murders-christian-tour-director-pleads-life-of-man-behind-petit-family-slaying-60170/

Connecticut Murders: Christian Tour Director Pleads Life of Man Behind Petit Family Slaying

Mark Middlebrooks gave his testimony Tuesday, stating the integrity of the man inside the killer is worthy of having his life saved.

Middlebrooks also said, the man is very remorseful and will one day have to explain his actions and behavior to his young 9-year-old daughter.

WRONG...one day, he'll be explaining his actions and behavior to GOD.  Frankly, his daughter may've just be spared being raped by her own father, imo.

Middlebrooks recalls the troubled man being in financial trouble when he joined the group and said “He responded so well to me and my leadership. We developed a trust. I didn’t have to worry about Josh.”
hmm..so I guess he'd let JK live with him and his family?  I don't think so.  This jerk needs to go sit in the corner and read his Bible.    

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #576 on: November 03, 2011, 09:40:17 AM »

http://global.christianpost.com/news/connecticut-triple-murder-trial-christian-man-defends-convicted-killer-komisarjevsky-60162/
Connecticut Triple Murder Trial: Christian Man Defends Convicted Killer Komisarjevsky

Middlebook expressed his resentment toward the way the case has affected his life. However, he recalls that Komisarjevsky revealed very humanistic qualities on their tour together, noting that Komisarjevsky was very good with Mididlebook's 3-year-old daughter during the two three-month tours, often taking care of her when Middlebrook was busy backstage.

This guy is a moron. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #577 on: November 03, 2011, 11:45:06 AM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/joshua-komisarjevskys-daughter-focus-battle-dads-death-penalty/story?id=14872008#.TrK0snJZrwI
Joshua Komisarjevsky's Daughter Could Be Forced to Testify in Death Penalty Trial
Joshua Komisarjevsky, on trial for murdering Dr. William Petit's wife and two daughters, is shown in this July 23, 2007 photo. (Connecticut State Police)
November 3, 2011

A 9-year-old girl may be forced to testify in her father's murder trial to save him from being sentenced to death.

Defense attorneys have filed a subpoena to have the daughter of Joshua Komisarjevsky testify, but prosecutors have fought the motion.

The Connecticut Department of Children and Families has also sent a letter to Judge Jon C. Blue asking that the child be prevented from testifying. A mental health professional who is familiar with the psychological condition of the girl is also expected to be in court today to discuss what effects testifying could have on the child.

Lawyer Justine Rakich-Kelly, the executive director of the Children's Law Center, is representing the child. In April, Rakich-Kelly filed a motion with the judge to have the child referred to only by a pseudonym to protect her privacy because.

Shortly after her father was arrested in 2007 for the murders of Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her two daughters, Komisarjevsky's daughter, who was 5 at the time, received a threatening letter. Attorneys and witnesses have so far not referred to her by name in court.
Lawyers Battle Over Girl in Dad's Death Penalty Trial

During the penalty phase of the trial, defense attorneys have presented witnesses including Komisarjevsky's sister, Naomi Komisarjevsky and his aunt, Carlie Lebatique, who have testified that he was a loving father. Komisarjevsky's aunt told the jury this week that if her nephew was put to death "It would not be good for his daughter."

The women also told the jury they did not think Komisarjevsky was responsible for murdering the women, but was following the lead of his accomplice Steven Hayes. Hayes is currently on Connecticut's death row after having been convicted by a jury last year for his role in the home invasion.

Komisarjevsky had won sole custody of the girl just one month before the July 23, 2007 murders. Jurors have seen photographs taken inside the Komisarjevsky home during a police search that showed the little girl's drawings stuck to the refrigerator. Transcripts of text messages Komisarjevsky sent to Hayes just hours before the two men invaded the Petit home said "Dude, I'm putting the kid to bed hold your horses."
A number of studies have been done on the effects of testifying in a trial on children. "Criminal court testimony is associated with fear and anxiety for a substantial subset of children," according to a study done in the 1990's at University of California, Davis. "The adversarial, formal, and possibly even hostile court environment during a hearing and especially a trial is a source of a child witnesses' fear and distress."

Although it is becoming more common for children to testify in court, it is almost unheard of for a child to testify in a death penalty sentencing hearing.

Daughter Becomes Focus of Dad's Death Penalty Trial

In her young life, Komisarjevsky's daughter has already had a lot to emotional turmoil to deal with.
The girl was born in 2002 while Komisarjevsky sat in jail serving time for a string of burglaries. Komisarjevsky and the girl's mother shared custody until he filed for sole custody in 2007 claiming his ex-girlfriend was abusing drugs.
After her father was arrested for the Petit murders, his daughter moved in to the home of his parents Jude and Benedict Komisarjevsky. She is now living with relatives on her mother's side of the family.

If Blue allows the child to testify, he could stipulate she do so via video conferencing or in a closed courtroom to ease the psychological trauma of the circumstances,

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #578 on: November 03, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »

http://www.registercitizen.com/articles/2011/11/03/news/doc4eb2a66191e8f727554438.txt
Judge Blue closes court room for hearing regarding Komisarjevsky's 9 year daughter testifying
November 3, 2011

Superior Court Judge Jon C. Blue today granted a motion by an attorney for the guardian of Joshua Komisarjevsky’s 9-year-old daughter to close the courtroom to the public and the media Nov. 14 when an evidentiary hearing is held concerning her possible testimony in Komisarjevsky’s triple homicide trial.

Defense attorneys for Komisarjevsky want jurors to hear the girl’s testimony because they are trying to show he has redeeming qualities. Jurors must decide whether he deserves life in prison or the death sentence for the Cheshire triple homicide. Blue will decide whether the child’s testimony will be heard.

The jury was not present for the short session this morning when Blue made his ruling.

Attorney Raymond Hassett represented the child’s guardian in court today.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #579 on: November 03, 2011, 01:53:24 PM »

would bet my last dollar that if his daughter was not abused by him before the murder, she would have met that fate if left in her father's care. he is a pedo! plain and simple.  I hope that this little girl is living in a loving family. She is going to need all the love and support that she can get once she fully understands what kind of monster her father truly is.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.