March 28, 2024, 10:42:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two SC Toddlers Found Dead in Trash Bags Under Sink  (Read 10619 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: July 31, 2007, 09:01:31 PM »

Two South Carolina Toddlers Found Dead in Trash Bags Under Sink

HANAHAN, S.C. —  Two toddlers were found dead in trash bags under a sink and their mother was taken to a hospital for evaluation, authorities said Tuesday.

The mother took the children to work with her Monday and left them in the car all day, Berkeley County Coroner Glenn Rhoad told The Associated Press. Rhoad said he did not immediately know the cause of death but autopsies would be done Tuesday.

The toddlers, a 1-year-old girl and a 4-year old boy, were found when authorities responded to a domestic disturbance call Monday night, authorities said.

Rhoad said he expected to release the children's names later Tuesday. He said authorities had been contacted by the mother's attorney and had not yet been able to interview her.

Hanahan Police Lt. Michael Fowler told The (Charleston) Post and Courier for a story published Tuesday that the mother was taken to a local hospital after she made comments about hurting herself.

"The mother was distraught," Fowler said. "The detectives will be busy following up on her whereabouts and those of the children over the last two days or so."

(Story continues below)

Advertise Here
Advertisements

Hanahan police didn't immediately return a telephone message Tuesday.

Hanahan is about 15 miles north of Charleston.

Temperatures in Charleston reached 88 degrees on Monday.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291524,00.html

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 04:04:02 PM »

Cops: Mom Bathed, Dressed Dead Children
Thursday, August 02, 2007

* E-MAIL STORY
    * PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION

HANAHAN, S.C. —  Two children found dead under an apartment sink were bathed and dressed by their mother before being wrapped in trash bags, according to arrest warrants released Wednesday.

The warrants provide new details of the events that police say led to the arrest of a troubled single mother suspected of leaving her children in a hot car for hours while she was at work.

Sametta Heyward, 27, was charged Tuesday with homicide by child abuse after the bodies of 1-year-old Triniti Campbell and 4-year-old Shawn Campbell Jr. were found in her apartment.

The warrants said Heyward called her ex-boyfriend and told him she had "killed her babies."

Authorities have not determined exactly how the children died. Heyward had left them in a car on Sunday as temperatures outside reached 88 degrees, the warrants said.

Heyward was being held at a Berkeley County jail. Her attorney said he didn't know when he would ask for a bail hearing.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291805,00.html

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 03:21:50 PM »

Authorities Puzzled About Mother in Deaths of Children Left in Hot Car
http://tinyurl.com/37v364

AUGUST 8, 2007
South Carolina shares blame with Sametta Heyward
State of Shame: A family tragedy in a family values state

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A31196

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 12:37:33 AM »

The Mom seems devastated by her mistake. I think she truly felt trapped, and didn't have the skills to make good decisions about what to do in case her child care fell through. Maybe she had no other options, other than to lose her job. As a single Mom myself, I know how terrifying it is to face unemployment. While I would have done something else with my babies, maybe this woman was not capable of coming up with anything better.
I know that she made a terrible decision, but I really, truly do not think this Mom meant to harm her children. She seems to be suffering, and somehow, I have a little compassion for this one, because I think she didn't callously intend to kill them.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 11:39:21 AM »

The Mom seems devastated by her mistake. I think she truly felt trapped, and didn't have the skills to make good decisions about what to do in case her child care fell through. Maybe she had no other options, other than to lose her job. As a single Mom myself, I know how terrifying it is to face unemployment. While I would have done something else with my babies, maybe this woman was not capable of coming up with anything better.
I know that she made a terrible decision, but I really, truly do not think this Mom meant to harm her children. She seems to be suffering, and somehow, I have a little compassion for this one, because I think she didn't callously intend to kill them.

pdh3  I see what you are saying.  As the facts concerning the case are being revealed, it paints a different picture from that when we first got the news.  I know lots of folks will pop up with "I would never do that", but then they aren't this mother and they weren't in her shoes.  It appears there was lack of resources, any kind of back-up for her.  I think she was afraid of losing her job.  She provided her kids with drinks and battery operated fans and it was't enough Sad I know she shouldn't have left them in the car alone and it cost the children their lives and the mother will go through the rest of her life without them.  No, I don't think she meant harm to her children either.  She didn't callously intend to kill them, from what information we've been given.  It's very, very tragic.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 07:31:10 PM »

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art23679.asp

Besides some questions Bella raises, there are more bits of information about Sametta Heyward, the mother of the two deceased children.

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 04:10:58 PM »

This is just such a tragedy. I wish someone had seen the babies, or that the Mom had felt secure enough to tell someone she needed help with childcare.

kissyface
Scared Monkey

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 04:21:12 PM »

Absolutely heartbreaking.  While I will not judge the mother on her abilities to come up with an alternative plan, I really have to question our single parent assistance programs.  There really should be some kind of "emergency childcare" program implemented in our workforce.  As a single mother, i have had to stay home with my child when he is unable to attend school.  I have missed work and thankfully my employers are very understanding in this matter.  If they were going to threaten me with termination because of a sick child, I would probably have to tell them to do what they needed to do.  My child comes before my job and if I had to lose my job and start over again, I would do whatever it took including staying in a homeless shelter or whatever else I could.  But, I am a very independent and strong woman.  Maybe she isn't and she was just so afraid of the repercussions from her employers that she felt she had nothing else to do.  I think she really believed they would be ok.  I don't think that she meant for any of this to happen.  I also believe she was terrified after the children were "gone" and her mental state was probably really messed up and that is why she did what she did afterwards.  Shock.  It can cause a person to act out of charachter.  I am not saying it was ok, what happened.  Obviously it was not.  I just think it was a very tragic accident that she will pay for throughout the rest of her life.  Whether she is charged criminally or not, from the way it sounds, she is already in her own Hell and that self-punishment is far worse than anythng the system can do.  They should probably put her on a suicide watch.  There is a part of me that is so mad because I wish people would realize that you cannot leave small children alone EVER.  But, I am very touched by this story and I will pray for the mother and her babies.

***Love is stronger than death.***

>>> bring Bri justice<<<
kissyface
Scared Monkey

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 06:33:38 PM »

I wish we could have certain people sterilized when things like this happen.  I just don't get it either.But check this one out:

HANAHAN, S.C. —  Two toddlers were found dead in trash bags under a sink and their mother was taken to a hospital for evaluation, authorities said Tuesday.

The mother took the children to work with her Monday and left them in the car all day, Berkeley County Coroner Glenn Rhoad told The Associated Press. Rhoad said he did not immediately know the cause of death but autopsies would be done Tuesday.

The toddlers, a 1-year-old girl and a 4-year old boy, were found when authorities responded to a domestic disturbance call Monday night, authorities said.

Rhoad said he expected to release the children's names later Tuesday. He said authorities had been contacted by the mother's attorney and had not yet been able to interview her.

Hanahan Police Lt. Michael Fowler told The (Charleston) Post and Courier for a story published Tuesday that the mother was taken to a local hospital after she made comments about hurting herself.

"The mother was distraught," Fowler said. "The detectives will be busy following up on her whereabouts and those of the children over the last two days or so."

(Story continues below)

Advertise Here
Advertisements

***Love is stronger than death.***

>>> bring Bri justice<<<
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 07:21:38 PM »

I wish we could have certain people sterilized when things like this happen.  I just don't get it either.But check this one out:

(Story continues below)

Advertise Here
Advertisements

KissyFace ~  There is a thread in the Crimes Against Children Area (under Missing and Exploited).  There are articles and discussion about Sametta Heyward, the mother of the two children found under the sink.  You may want to read it a little more in depth.  It is very sad and tragic.  http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=1945.0

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 07:23:14 PM »

In the words of Gilda "never mind".  I see you had found the thread already in Crimes Against Children.    

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 08:06:10 PM »

I too believe she is enduring her own private hell. I could tell that from her face. She looks like she doesn't care what happens to her. I really hope she is receiving adequate legal representation, and psychiatric care. I really do feel sorry for everyone involved, because there's lots of blame to go around.
I raised 3 children as a single Mom, with no help from anyone. I have actually been fired for staying home with sick children. One of my children has asthma, so she was sick quite a bit when she was younger. And when you have more than one, the days add up. Everytime one child got sick, it spread to the others. Then there were the regular doctor, dentist and orthodontic visits. I never had an employer who was understanding for very long. Sometimes, I had to send a child to school who should have stayed home another day, but I had no choice. I would never have left my chiildren in a car, or home alone, but I do understand how this mother could have felt that she had no choice.
As a single parent, if you don't have family close by to help out, you really have no back up system when things go wrong.

Milady M
Scared Monkey

I Love cats too! Let's exchange recipes!

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 03:09:06 PM »

In the words of Gilda "never mind".  I see you had found the thread already in Crimes Against Children.    
A lobotomy would be too good for this dolt! Good Grief!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 10:22:20 AM »

Autopsy Concerns

Thursday, Sep 13, 2007 - 04:35 PM Updated: 06:29 PM
http://www.wcbd.com/midatlantic/cbd/news.apx.-content-articles-CBD-2007-09-13-0014.html
An autopsy report rules the death of two Hanahan children homicide by neglect. Police claim Sametta Heyward left her kids in the car back in July. Now, the details in the autopsy report are causing some talk.

“In 5 years of me being the coroner in this county, I have never ever had an autopsy report that is questionable except for this particular one,” said Berkeley County Coroner Glenn Rhoad.

A couple of lines in the autopsy report concern Rhoad, specifically those which discuss the car in which Shawn and Triniti Campbell died.

One line states the mother “found the children unresponsive in the trunk area where they had crawled from inside the vehicle.” Another that "there were apparently battery-operated fans and food and water in the vehicle."

Two sentences Rhoad claims neither he nor Hanahan Police Department investigators knew anything about.     

“As far as you know based on your conversations with investigators they did not see those items in the car?” reporter Meryl Conant asked Rhoad.

“No,” Rhoad said. ”Nobody in that office has admitted to seeing they made these statements or did anything towards saying these kids had food, water, fans and crawled into the trunk.”

Plus Rhoad claims none of the investigator's pictures show those items in the car.

Heyward's attorney, Andy Savage, told News 2 he has pictures of it and that he did in fact speak with the pathologist who included that information in the report.

She tells us it is customary to include information from a variety of sources. Furthermore, while she does not know whether there was a fan, food or water in the car, either way she says her finding would stay the same.

Hanahan police were not available for comment today.

Heyward is expected in court next week. Savage told us he intends to file a motion to move this case to Charleston since that is where the crime allegedly occurred. Right now, Berkeley County is handling it since that is where authorities found the two children's bodies.
-------------------------------------
Coroner: 2 Kids Overheated in Mom's Car

By BRUCE SMITH – 4 days ago
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iHc39kn0nDNvPz2kyr1LFtISetjw
 CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Autopsies confirmed two toddlers whose bodies were found in trash bags at their home died from being left in a sweltering car while their mother worked, the coroner said Wednesday.

When police found Sametta Heyward wailing "Oh, my babies" at her apartment in July, she told them she'd left her children in the car after a baby sitter canceled.

A day earlier Heyward, a single mother, had gone to work at a county-run group home for people with disabilities, leaving her children in the hot car with battery-powered fans, food and drinks, authorities said.
(snipped)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 09:30:46 PM »

Mother Indicted In Children's Death Case
Live 5 News
Sunday, October 21, 2007
http://www.live5news.com/news/state/10623282.html
The mother of the two kids found dead in a Hanahan apartment in July could face life in prison.

9th Circuit Solicitor Scarlett Wilson says Sametta Heyward was indicted on two counts of Homicide by Child Abuse Wednesday in Berkeley County Wednesday.

Police say Heyward left 4 year old Shawn Campbell Junior and 14 month old Triniti Campbell in the car for more than 8 hours while she worked, brought their bodies home and put them under the kitchen sink.

Her attorney Andy Savage says key pieces of evidence, like snacks and fans in the car, were ignored. He was also disappointed that he had to learn about his clients indictment from Live 5 News.

"Clearly those are material facts that either police mislead the solicitor or just ignored out of ignorance," said Attorney Andy Savage. "I'm disappointed that we're finding out from you frankly and not from the authorities. For whatever reason. this case has struck a nerve with the police up there in the solicitor's office."

Scarlett Wilson says it's not out of the ordinary that an attorney would not have heard about a clients fate the day of the indictment. She says that because of the the high volume of cases they deal with every day.
She added that Savage would receive notification in writing soon.

Each charge against Heyward carries a sentence of 20 years to life.

Savage plans to motion for a speedy trial this week. Wilson says she expects the case to go to trial before the end of the year.
------------------------------------------
Heyward Case Controversy
Thursday October 18, 2007 6:42pm    Reporter: Renee Williams   Posted By: Katie Newingham
http://www.abcnews4.com/news/stories/1007/465087.html
anahan, SC -

There is new controversy in the Sametta Heyward case.  Heyward was formally charged with two counts of homicide by child abuse on Wednesday.

Her lawyer, Andy Savage, now alleges the Hanahan police department bungled the case, but the solicitor’s office says otherwise.

Savage also says the Hanahan Police Department didn’t fully examine or inventory the evidence in Heyward’s car.

He wants a change of venue to Charleston County where he says they’re better able to handle this case.

“This isn't something where we're trying to cover up evidence.  We want law enforcement to see, examine and evaluate the evidence that we know is there that they ignored at the time they seized her vehicle,” Savage said.

That evidence includes food and fans that Heyward left in the car for her two children.

He says the police department didn't even know the children died in the trunk.

Savage says that’s too many missteps to have a fair trial and he wants a change of venue to Charleston county.

“We want to do everything we can to ensure a full and proper police investigation. There hasn't been one yet,” Savage added.

Ninth circuit solicitor, Scarlett Wilson disagrees, saying Hanahan police did what they were supposed to do and that there shouldn't be a change of venue.

“The children in this situation were last seen in Berkeley County. Their bodies were recovered in Berkeley County." Wilson said. "The case was investigated by the City of Hanahan, which is in Berkeley County and the citizens of Berkeley County are perfectly capable of deciding this case.”

-----------------------------------

Attorney Andy Savage: Errors In Heyward Case

riday October 19, 2007 6:45pm    Reporter: Renee Williams   Posted By: Katie Newingham
http://www.abcnews4.com/news/stories/1007/465421.html
Hanahan, SC -

Mishandled evidence and differing accounts of that evidence are part of Sametta Heyward’s defense.

Misstatements of facts and assumptions by the police led Sametta Heyward's attorney, Andy Savage, to suspect something was wrong with the investigation.

“There are assumptions that are being made, and the very point we're making is the prosecution and law enforcement are just throw these facts out," Savage said.

"It was a sunny day, and the car was parked in the sun: it was 88 degrees,” Savage said.

These assumptions could prove detrimental for the defense.

Savage says the police department didn't take into account key evidence that he says proves Sametta Heyward didn't mean to kill her children.

“This evidence shows the mother wasn't neglectful, that neglect is something other than leaving food and drinks, and toys and dolls, pillow and blankets.That’s what this shows,” Savage added.

The prosecution has said Savage is trying this case in the media, but he says it was the prosecution who started the media frenzy by having an officer go on national television.

“That was the question he was asked on national television. The answer he gave: no, there was not," Savage said. "Either he was lying or he didn't know. He either misled the public intentionally or he wasn't informed. It’s hard to believe he wouldn't have known, since he was on the crime scene that night,” Savage said.

He also pointed out that Sametta Heyward moved all her possessions to her car because she thought she was going to get evicted from her home.

Savage says all the food and toys in the car were signs that Heyward was not neglecting her kids.

We tried to speak with the lead detective on the case but our phone call was not returned.

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 10:57:34 AM »

There's just no good outcome for this case. I feel sorry for everyone involved in trying to defend the mother, because she seems to be so depressed that she may not care what happens to her. It's just the kind of situation that ends up leaving everyone sad, and torn about those poor babies. I don't think homicide is the correct charge. I feel she may have been negligent, but I don't think she meant to harm her children at all. It's a terrible case, and I'm glad I'm not involved.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 11:03:29 AM »

There's just no good outcome for this case. I feel sorry for everyone involved in trying to defend the mother, because she seems to be so depressed that she may not care what happens to her. It's just the kind of situation that ends up leaving everyone sad, and torn about those poor babies. I don't think homicide is the correct charge. I feel she may have been negligent, but I don't think she meant to harm her children at all. It's a terrible case, and I'm glad I'm not involved.

pdh3  I think the mother was desperate.  She says she was told to show up to work or be fired.  And I didn't know until I read the above article, that she had moved belongings into her car because she feared eviction.  I am not in any way condoning leaving your children in the car unattended for hours.  I am just trying to understand what happened.  And the picture I see is a desperate mother.  I don't know what resources she had available to her and wonder how she ended up in this situation.  You are right.  There is no good outcome for this case. The poor little children.  Sad 

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 11:27:12 AM »

I feel sorry for the Mother of these babies. I do agree that she was desparate, and probably felt powerless to do anything but what she did. I hope she is getting some counseling, and that the court shows a little mercy in this case. I also hope she has a competent and compassionate lawyer. I don't think this woman is a criminal, and she is suffering already.
This is another case that breaks your heart, but in a different way. It was preventable, if that poor woman had only caught a break once in a while.

MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 09:27:13 PM »

I feel some of the blame should be placed on the employer too.  There are far too many employers that pull this sort of crap..."show up or you're done" and its wrong. 

What the Mother did was wrong, but in a desperate situation, with no family or friends to babysit, daycare is not always affordable to some.  Many licensed facilities want full time rates or they won't accept. Daycare hours are generally 7-5":30 M-F. If you don't work those hours, you are SIL. 

I am not making excuses for this poor Mother, she will have to live the rest of her life with her mistake.  In my profession, I've seen the lack of quality affordable care, and the long waiting lists from the state for assistance to single parents In some cases, it takes over a year for help.. 

Maine, born and raised!
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 04:31:01 PM »

Update: Sametta Heyward Getting Out of Jail   
 August 01, 2008 - Charleston, S.C.

Sametta Heyward, the mother accused of killing her two children, is getting ready to be released from jail.  She is expected to be released around 9:30 p.m. Friday night.

Heyward's received a $15,000 surety bond. She would be under house arrest except for medical appointments and lawyer appointments. The judge will also allow her to visit her two children's gravesides.

Over one year ago, Heyward was charged with two counts of child homicide. Friday she appeared in an attempt to get out of jail on bond. Heyward's attorney filed a motion for a speedy trial. According to the motion, her time in jail has caused serious damage to her defense.

In custody for one year, Sametta Heyward waited for her time in court. In July last year, police discovered her two children, 4-year-old Shawn and 1-year-old Trinity Campbell dead in Heyward's home. The children, wrapped in a plastic bags, were found under the sink.

Police say Heyward told authorities she couldn't find a sitter, so she took the kids to work and left them in her car. Eight hours later, court documents show Heyward found the children unconscious, took them home, without calling emergency services.

Her attorney, Andy Savage, filed the speedy trial motion. In it, he questioned the tactics of law enforcement. The documents detail the seizure of material from Heyward’s jail cell by police in September 2007. Savage refers to the items as privileged, saying police have destroyed his client’s rights under the attorney client privilege.

The motion also claimed, interference and harassment at the hands of the police have caused Heyward's emotional, physical, and mental state to become fragile. The original charges were filed in Hanahan.  Last year, a judge granted a change of venue to Charleston.

http://www.wciv.com/news/stories/0808/540600.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.