April 16, 2024, 10:51:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book Reviews/Excerpts  (Read 12701 times)
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: August 05, 2007, 06:44:25 PM »

How about

A Thousand Splendid Suns by the author of The Kite Runner?

I am looking for a decent excerpt... and I will post that and another suggestion once I find it...

it's a story of Afghanistan.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 08:00:44 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/29/books/29kaku.html?ex=1338091200&en=60df75034aaad2ff&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

a link to the excerpt...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 03:16:38 PM »

Mrs. Red - I recently read A Thousand Splendid Suns.

(Have not read The Painted Kite, although I have read several reviews.)

The man definitely can tell a story. (That's a good thing, because this is not a happy story.)

I understand that The Painted Kite was about father-son and other male relationships. A Thousand Splendid Suns is about mother-daughter and female relationships.

Khaled Hosseini (the author, a male, from Afghanistan) did quite a good job with the female characters in Suns. That always impresses me from a male writer. (D.H. Lawrence excelled at that, IMO.)

The plotline is almost predictable, but the characters are compelling.

I liked the lesson Miriam learned from her bitter mother's knee: when a man starts looking for someone to blame, his finger always finds a woman (or words to that effect).

I do believe that's been going on all over the world for eons. Has a lot to do with How Things Are.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 08:08:14 PM »

Ms. Marple... thanks for the recommendation...

I was wondering - what if we all read Wendy Murphy's book?  it won't be out for a few months.... and that would give us time to get situated?

any suggestions?  I love to read... and I like all kinds of books!

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 06:38:05 PM »

What's the subject of Wendy Murphy's book? I really admire her, so it would probably be a great pick.

I guess it's just a given that most of us will read Beth's book.....

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:46:10 PM »

What's the subject of Wendy Murphy's book? I really admire her, so it would probably be a great pick.

I guess it's just a given that most of us will read Beth's book.....

yes, I will be reading Beth's book... but Wendy's is out sooner... LOL

it's called And Justice For All.. she was on Dana's show the first week of Aug discussing it... see if you can locate the podcast... but it's about the the cases that judges have gone amuck on like the woman who was raped and not allowed to use the word

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 11:54:51 PM »

That sounds like a great choice. I'll try to get some time to go back and listen to the podcast. She is such a wonderful advocate.

In a very small way, I almost dread reading Beth's book, because Dave's made me cry so many times. I'm sure hers will be just as poignant and moving. But once I start reading, I'll bet wild horses wouldn't be able drag me away.

Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 04:12:28 PM »

I dont know if anyone has ever read this series of books by David Pelzer..My daughter and I read them years ago.
So  sad.. and a miracle for David to have survived all that he had been through as a child.

A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to Survive

http://books.google.com/books?id=ul69f1eWmfkC&ie=ISO-8859-1

http://books.google.com/books?ie=ISO-8859-1&q=David+J+Pelzer

I honestly can say the very last book I have read was Dave Holloways.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »

I've heard of that book Angie, and my daughter and I were looking for it in the library at one point, but couldn't find it.
From what I understand, it's a heartbreaking story.

Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 07:47:15 PM »

I've heard of that book Angie, and my daughter and I were looking for it in the library at one point, but couldn't find it.
From what I understand, it's a heartbreaking story.

Oh it is Pdh3.. I cryed when I read it.. and also cryed that David Pelzer turned out to be the man he is.
VERY  touching book!! 
 WOW.. shocked it wasnt in the library..  maybe Barnes and Noble or Amazon OR even EBAY has iit?
I will ask my daughter if she still has the books.. < I bought them,, she took'em when she moved out>
 If she does. Id be more then hapy to send them to you.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 06:44:30 AM »

I just happened to stumble across this during my scan of the news this a.m. ... it's from Associated Press.

'Kite Runner' author urges sustained help for Afghanistan

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- The author of two best-selling novels set in Afghanistan said the country is moving in the right direction but that the international community must remain committed to rebuilding the war-torn nation.

Khaled Hosseini, author of "The Kite Runner'' and current New York Times No. 1 "A Thousand Splendid Suns'' wrapped up a 10-day tour of northern Afghanistan on Thursday as a goodwill envoy for UNHCR, the U.N. refugee agency.

The Afghan-born author said in a U.N. statement distributed Thursday that the country is at a "crossroads'' and that there are signs of disillusionment inside Afghanistan and the international community.

"A long-term engagement is absolutely critical if the country is to continue moving in the right direction,'' said Hosseini, a naturalized U.S. citizen. "Afghanistan needs time, patience and relentless effort.''

During his tour, Hosseini visited UNHCR projects in the north but couldn't visit the south because of ongoing violence fueled by a resurgent Taliban militia.

The visit was his first to the country since finding fame with his 2005 hit "The Kite Runner,'' which tells the story of two boys who grow up together in the Afghan capital of Kabul.

Hosseini left Afghanistan as a boy in 1976 and now lives in California.

AP-ES-09-14-07 0518EDT

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
Levi
Scared Monkey

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 06:29:01 PM »

And Justice For Some By Wendy Murphy. I just got done reading it last night.

My favorite part of the book was: "The founding fathers would be outraged if they saw Michael Jackson snubbing his fake nose at the courts after the 1993 settlement by sleeping and publicly hanging out with little boys."
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 05:13:29 PM »

I recommend the Left Behind series by Tom Lehaye.  Even if you are not a believer of the Rapture and end of times, per say.  These books are written as Fiction, obviously, but they are so full of mystery, action, adventure, drama, it has it all.  Each book is a constant page turner.  When I completed the series, I was disappointed, because I wanted to keep reading!

They also have a series for teens, which I bought my daughter, and she enjoyed them too.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 01:51:26 PM »

I am currently reading Paula Deen's book, 'It Ain't All About the Cookin'".    It's a very homey, folksy kinda book.  If you like Paula on TV, you'll love the book.

She explains all that butter in the book. 

Paula has an inspiring story for many reasons.  I love her because she shares my philosophy: "...it's my opinion that every day, just to be on the right side of the dirt is a celebration."

Ya gotta love Paula, butter, cream, cream cheese, grits, and all.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 01:52:50 PM »

And Justice For Some By Wendy Murphy. I just got done reading it last night.

My favorite part of the book was: "The founding fathers would be outraged if they saw Michael Jackson snubbing his fake nose at the courts after the 1993 settlement by sleeping and publicly hanging out with little boys."

Guess I better be looking for Wendy's book.  She is such a great advocate for women and children.

Expect a miracle.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 10:09:27 PM »

Let me also recommend "The Unusual Suspect" by Stephen Baldwin.  It is the story of how he became a Christian... well written, insightful and entertaining.  It was also uplifting in a way I can't explain...

but it's definately worth the read!

Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 09:05:50 AM »

Sidney Poitier's autobiography is great.  I learned many things I never knew about him as an actor and a person.  He has an inspiring life story. 

It's definitely a good read.  I bought it because I saw him on Oprah and it sounded like he had a fascinating life.  He did and still does.

I like it alot.

Expect a miracle.
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-04-23-michael-oher-cover_N.htm

From homeless to the NFL: Oher's journey to draft unique

Meet Michael Oher (pronounced OAR), a 6-5, 309-pound All-America tackle from the University of Mississippi who is the subject of a best-selling book —The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game, which is being turned into a movie — but until a few years ago was legally Michael Williams.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »

http://vulpeslibris.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/the-blind-side-by-michael-lewis/

The Blind Side by Michael Lewis

snip

Review by Ken Owen.

Michael Oher is an immense human being. At the age of sixteen, he had a 20-inch neck, 50-inch waist, and a 58-inch chest. Larger measurements, that is, than every single member of the Washington Redskins. This fact alone meant that his final years in high school, Oher was the focus of attention of college coaches across America – grown men taking detours of hundreds of miles to watch him practice, in the hope of persuading him to play for their team. Had these coaches the power to design a prototypical left tackle, Oher’s six-foot-five, 330-pound frame would have been pretty close to their model. And yet the fact that he was even still at high school was, in itself, nothing short of a miracle

snip

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.