May 29, 2024, 04:38:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lively Case Discussion #674 8/5 - 8/8/2007  (Read 198654 times)
AZSunny
Monkey Junky

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2007, 03:32:43 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t36i5gvBu1s
Carpe is just way too cool... Laughing

That is awesome! 

~~We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails ~~
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2007, 03:34:42 PM »

Is it running excruciatingly slow for anyone else, or is it just my connection?
Rammstein
Scared Monkey

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2007, 03:35:04 PM »

I wonder how many Dutch people are in jail on Aruba?  Maybe the Dutch have something similar to our 'diplomatic immunity' policy.  In other words, you can't convict the Dutch of any crimes commited in Aruba.

uuummmmm that's an interesting thought....I hope one of our super smart monkey's can get the answer to that one.

Just like we lock up Aruban Dutch, they lock up European Dutch. Actually as there is no Aruban nationality, all citizens born in the Kingdom are Dutch, it does not matter where in the Kingdom they were born.

Rule 208. Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than the question is an answer
Rammstein
Scared Monkey

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »

The chief commissioner Peter de Witte was only informed about Aruba’s involvement in the matter yesterday. “We have exchanged information with the corps in the Caribbean region, but it has not as yet given us clarity. Now we are trying to contact the United Nations in order to obtain more information.”   

De Witte finds it unlikely that the drugs came into Aruba by plane. “We’re talking about more than two tons, but I don’t want to rule out anything.” According to him it’s also possible that the plane in which the cocaine was transported to Africa never landed on Aruba. It has happened before.

“The boat could’ve sailed past Aruba, but the log book does state that it moored here. It is also possible that the boat did in fact lie in the harbor, but that the drugs only came on board the ship heading for Africa on international waters. Aruba would then be noted down as the last port of call.” According to the chief commissioner, the portrayal of Aruba as a transit port would then take a different turn. “But these are still just theories, we must first obtain more information.” 

Setting the stage for what will eventually be his 'findings'

Peter de Witte most likely really wants to find out. In part because as boss of the Coast guard they hunted down (and impounded a lot of drugs) drugs-smugglers (together for example with the US).

Rule 208. Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than the question is an answer
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2007, 03:40:46 PM »

READIT! READIT!
Ms Toady here, shaking the sack. Hunting snipe, be vewwy vewwy quiet.

Harken back to when Guido was last arrested in Hulandia. (That's er, Papiamento for, er, Nederlands) Some things were taken from his place by ALE, computer & whatnot, including some car part. Does anyone know what part? What car it was from?[/b][/color]

Ever wonder if it was a tire iron (heavy Battery).
Rammstein
Scared Monkey

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2007, 03:42:20 PM »

Someone asked about that mediation thing & vRijn having been released, another suggested a judge was paid off.

Napoleonic code so far as I've found still allows for cash payout over doing the time, at the judge (or panel of judges)'s discretion.

A certain baseball player banished to Aruba's penal colony (the US) except for Christmas week, and a fine, sound familiar?

So yeah, I've little doubt that the suspects could be held liable for Natalee's disappearance and get fined a buck-fifty each and be done with it.

mediation and the "wet Mulder" (paying fines instead of going to trial for lesser crimes and misdemeanors) is only possible if a person is charged with a crime. As long as Lorenzo is still only being investigated there is no place for mediation (not that this would be possible because in a mediation the judge is a mediator between to private parties, not between the DA and a suspect) and no fines for no prosecution.

Also (I will check to be absolutely sure), but a judge does not get involved when a suspect given a fine instead of a court date, that decision lies with the prosecutor.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »

READIT! READIT!
Ms Toady here, shaking the sack. Hunting snipe, be vewwy vewwy quiet.

Harken back to when Guido was last arrested in Hulandia. (That's er, Papiamento for, er, Nederlands) Some things were taken from his place by ALE, computer & whatnot, including some car part. Does anyone know what part? What car it was from?[/b][/color]

Ever wonder if it was a tire iron (heavy Battery).

Good thinking San Shocked
KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2007, 03:43:45 PM »

Thank-you for that. It seems people are a little gloomy this morning. There are still a few of us here that do think the Dutch are going to solve this -- we just have to be patient. After 2+ years, they cannot come in and simply wrap things up in a few months. They must do everything 100% accurate and get things right. It is very hard to follow this case and not be frustrated -- I certainly understand the pessimism here.
Smish:
I want to ask Ramm,why did the Aruban's ask the Dutch investigators into the case if nothing they find,do or say will have any bearings on this case?What was the point of bringing them in?

with the fixing of the problems I was talking more generally, in this investigation the Dutch have demanded full say in the case with regard to the investigation. In other words the DA might formally be the head of the investigation but now the Dutch have demanded full say with regards to the investigation. Non prosecution if there is a case to be prosecuted would not be acceptable to the Dutch government and although we cannot force them to do it, we can make it very difficult for the Aruban government (when it comes to getting money for law enforcement etc. and other funding issues).
Aahh,good info to know.Thank you Ramm.
Smile

Karma Is Coming

Justice for Natalee Holloway!

Rest In Peace Sweet Angels

Help Light Lindsey's Way Home
Rammstein
Scared Monkey

« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2007, 03:43:54 PM »

Well releasing him seems ok then as long as there are charges to be dealt with later. We have bail systems here and only people who have done the most atrocious crimes are not up for bail. If it were here in Canada, he would have been released with a court date. Plus maybe some conditions.   
I thought Destiny said no court date for Lorenzo?

I think it means so court date set YET.  Does not mean he will never go to court.

The investigation is just underway, the DA will still have to decide whether or not she will prosecute and what the most serious offense is that she can charge him with.

Rammstein
Scared Monkey

« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2007, 03:44:45 PM »

Just posted on the front page of SM by elisabeth (from the NL):

elisabeth wrote:
a usually well informed journalist in the Netherlands writes in his blog that the house search on Aruba a few weeks ago was planned for the application of microphones prior to a planned vacation of Joran

that is possible, a DA can request from an investigating judge to allow this.

greeneyedlady
Monkey Junky

« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2007, 03:45:27 PM »

No you're not the only one,mine is slow too.I even restared the computer but it's not much better.

"No man has a good enough memory to make a successful liar" Abraham Lincoln
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2007, 03:46:53 PM »

The people of Aruba frequently make the distinction between those born on the island and Dutch nationals born in the Netherlands.  There may not be a technical difference yet, but there is definitely a social division.
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2007, 03:48:50 PM »

No you're not the only one,mine is slow too.I even restared the computer but it's not much better.

I just did the same and it did help mine.  It had crawled to a stop before I did that.
Rammstein
Scared Monkey

« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2007, 03:49:10 PM »

The people of Aruba frequently make the distinction between those born on the island and Dutch nationals born in the Netherlands.  There may not be a technical difference yet, but there is definitely a social division.

I agree. Most likely because some of the Dutch that live there are the wealthy kind, the adventurous kind or the highly educated kind. With an island that small that will inevitably lead to issues and problems between the islanders and the outsiders.

Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2007, 03:52:40 PM »

I just did the same and it did help mine.  It had crawled to a stop before I did that.

I may have spoken too soon. lol
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2007, 03:53:56 PM »

elisabeth wrote:
a usually well informed journalist in the Netherlands writes in his blog that the house search on Aruba a few weeks ago was planned for the application of microphones prior to a planned vacation of Joran

Ramm - can you search around some Dutch blogs and see if you can find this? 
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2007, 03:55:03 PM »

I wonder how many Americans live and work in Aruba?  We only know a few through the news and the internet, but .......
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2007, 03:55:51 PM »

I may have spoken too soon. lol

I had huge problems with internet explorer yesterday..It got to the point where it just froze up but today its working fine...I would try firefox as it maybee a problem with IE.

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
Rammstein
Scared Monkey

« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2007, 03:59:45 PM »

elisabeth wrote:

Ramm - can you search around some Dutch blogs and see if you can find this? 

I will do my best.

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2007, 04:00:50 PM »

http://arubanboycott.blogspot.com/

hahahahaha  Cool

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.