April 26, 2024, 06:18:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: college football rules changes  (Read 5895 times)
spooky112483
Monkey Junky

« on: August 09, 2007, 06:12:37 AM »

New rule changes for this year. I got this from ESPN.com. Your thoughts?

Two big changes
Rule change 3-2-5-e: When Team B is awarded a first down, the clock starts on the snap
Old rule: When Team B is awarded a first down, the clock will start on the ready-to-play signal
Jim Donnan: Last year the rule was that as soon as the referee marked the ball ready for play, the clock would start. Now with all these situations like a fair catch or taking over on downs, the clock will start when the ball is snapped. There's not going to be a situation in which a team has to run out to get a play started. The most important value is that at the end of the half and the end of the game the clock will not run out on change of possession. If there is time on the clock, teams will have to take at least one snap. Also, the two-minute offense will not lose any time when the clock started is started on the snap this season.

Rule change 6-1-1: The free kicking team's restraining line is the 30-yard line
Old rule: The free kicking team's restraining line is the 35-yard line
Jim Donnan: This is a massive change in college football. It's going to be very difficult to kick the ball out of the end zone from the 30-yard line unless you have a heavy wind. The first thing is more teams will probably take the ball instead of deferring and getting the ball to begin the second half. You'll have the first opportunity to establish field position offensively, which will be much easier than it used to be. Unless you have an outstanding defense or outstanding kicker, teams will go ahead and receive the opening kick. Kickers are going to have to work hard on directional kicks, kicking to spots on the field and maybe some high pooch kicks to say 'I'm going to give them the ball on the 20 but I'm not going to give them a chance to run it back.' Teams are probably going to have to utilize more first-teamers on their special teams because of the coverage skills that are going to be involved. Overall, offenses will definitely be the benefactor of this change because their chances of scoring are highly increased. It's also going to affect your play calling. You can be in more of an attack mode early in the game if you establish good field position.

The 10 other changes
• Rule change 3-1-1: The coin toss ends when captains return to the nine-yard marks

• Rule change 3-2-2-h: After television timeouts, the ready-for-play interval is 15 seconds
Jim Donnan: Most teams are ready for this change based on last year's running clock because they had to be ready to get out on the field. It won't be as much of a change for them as it would have been had they made this change last season.

• Rule change 3-2-2-i: After an inadvertent whistle game time is restored

• Rule change 3-2-5: The clock starts when a free kick is legally touched

• Rule change 3-3-7-b: For live televised games only, a charged team timeout shall be 30 seconds plus the 25-second play clock interval
Jim Donnan: That's going to take some adjustment because you're used to a little longer time with your players. Usually when you call a charged timeout, you're using it to make an adjustment to something that's happening in the game. That's a way to speed up the game and save a few seconds.

• Rule change 6-1-2: The referee declares the ball ready for play when the umpire hands the ball to the kicker
Jim Donnan: That rule is in place to make sure the kicker doesn't take all day to kick it off. In this case, they're trying to be uniform where all the referees in the country know that when the umpire hands the ball to the kicker, then the 25-second clock starts. Some referees are slower than others in marking the ball ready for play and your team has to be ready to adjust to that.

• Rule change 6-2-1: Free kick out of bounds: Five-yard penalty previous spot or Team B's ball 35 yards from Team A's restraining line
Old rule: Five-yard penalty previous spot or Team B's ball 30 yards from Team A's restraining line
Jim Donnan: Because the free kick is now from the 30, they've added 5 yards to the out of bounds penalty to keep the ball at the opponents' 35-yard line.

Normally, if a free kick goes out of bounds and you're the receiving team, you'd take it at the 35. But with kicks now coming from the 30-yard line, if there's a 5-yard penalty the opposing team will be kicking from the 25. Everybody might be looking to take that penalty a little quicker than they used to.

• Rule change 9-1-2, 9-3-3, 10-2-2-e: Penalty enforcement on kick is the previous or succeeding spot

• Rule change 9-3-5-b: Defensive players restricted on kicks
Jim Donnan: This a good rule. Anybody that blocks a kick needs to do it on his own. This is basically just adding language that eliminates an idea that you can use part of your teammate to propel yourself over somebody.

• Rule change 12-3-3: Egregious fouls added to reviewable replays
Jim Donnan: When you have replay available, it's important that you use it to figure out what exactly happened on these types of plays. It shouldn't have to wait until after the game is over when the commissioner reviews it. You should use instant replay as much as you can, and use it as quickly as you can. It not only helps the game, but it helps the fairness of the game.

Jim Donnan was the head coach at Georgia and Marshall and is an ESPN college football analyst

"They call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
Arubagate2005
Go Lakers!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 05:08:30 PM »

I'm not sure I like the rule change on kicking. In fact....I think I really don't like it at all. Using more starters on special teams will lead to more injuries. Instead of making the game safer, it seems that lately these rule changes are making it more and more dangerous, especially in the SEC. We are already playing more games than anyone else, and if the starters have another area of responsibility it's just that much harder to stay healthy.
Kickers with outstanding talent are gonna be in great demand if this rule stays around.... Shocked

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 11:12:42 PM »

I haven't gone to the site to review, but I am surprised that there was no revision of the rule controlling the reseting of the game clock if there is an off sides on a kick off.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
BIGORANGECRUSH
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 01:21:04 AM »

Jim Donnan and I played Jr High football together! He has a great football mind, but terrible personality and that was the way he was in early years.

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 01:47:59 PM »

Jim Donnan and I played Jr High football together! He has a great football mind, but terrible personality and that was the way he was in early years.

BOC....you know everybody!  Laughing
Can the Vols handle the new rules with their current personnel?

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 09:23:43 AM »

oh pdh3 don't pick on BOC's Vols  Laughing I'm seeing quite a few of their players on the pre season picks for top in the SEC too, right along with Auburn's  Wink

Honestly I wish the NCAA would enforce the existing rules they have, important ones like actually drug testing each program once per year, which is not happening now.

I think the NCAA could use some cleaning up, do that first then change more rules.

pdh3, did you know Tubby is on the NCAA committee for the SEC? I expect all of his rivals should toe the line for sure  Laughing

I continue to stand with the girl.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 06:21:45 PM »

Well nonesy...the Vols have had their kicking game and special teams problems lately. I'm hoping they signed some better talent 'cause we all love BOC! Very Happy

Yes, I knew that Tubby was on that committee. He's a good one to have, because he gets along with most people. I don't think you could say that about a few coaches around college football.

How is little none? I wondered about him when they were discussing the heat, and how it is taking it's toll on athletes, on my local news. I hope he's not suffering too much. It's gonna be really hot on the season opener.

19 DAYS UNTIL WAR EAGLE!!!!!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 08:29:59 AM »

For sure Tubby doesn't make the media hate him now does he?  Laughing

Son is fine, I'll have more to report hopefully by week's end regarding that but yes, Saban doesn't suspend any work out's due to heat. Grin and bear it, I don't agree with his policy but then who am I to question royalty?  Laughing

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 09:21:30 PM »

I suspect the King of Bamaland will be dethroned, due to unrealistic expectations and undue hype.

Tubby is a low-profile kind of guy, for the most part, none. He likes to keep it on the down-lo, especially since the media burned AU a few years ago with a higher than deserved ranking and pre-season expectations, which raised false hopes among the fans. It almost cost him his job.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 07:44:31 AM »

then Tubby is wise to know you let your results do your talking, right?

the wee king and a schoolyard bully if you ask me, thinks a body slam is an effective strategy for every challenge in his life.

have you seen his muskrat mansion?

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 11:24:46 AM »

No...I haven't ! I like Bama, but this whole thing is kinda overboard, so I just haven't paid him much attention. I'm sure it's as big as his ego.

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 10:02:07 PM »

I keep forgetting to check for other threads... silly me.

I agree that the kicking change is the biggest one.  I think alot of teams are working in players specifically for this role...you are right teams can afford to lose a starter.

We should have beat TX last year but didn't even attempt a 38 yd field goal... first time I can ever remember not having a kicking stud.  Geez.  Well we found some Bosnian kid out of Texas that kicks over 60 yards all day long.  Guess he is the neatest guy and hilarious.  Now, we'll see if he can kick it STRAIGHT.   Laughing
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 10:38:18 PM »

60 yards? Shocked
From Bosnia? Shocked
Can anyone pronounce his name?  You know the TV announcers will murder it all year.Laughing Laughing Laughing

The kicking game has been great at AU for a while now. I hope the trend continues this year, when we need a good one more than ever. I haven't read anything about it yet. I'm sure it was covered somewhere, and I just missed it. I feel less informed this year, because I moved this summer, and I've been unpacking more, and reading my google alerts less. Laughing
I need to get up to speed this week!!!!

Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 12:02:16 AM »

60 yards? Shocked
From Bosnia? Shocked
Can anyone pronounce his name?  You know the TV announcers will murder it all year.Laughing Laughing Laughing

The kicking game has been great at AU for a while now. I hope the trend continues this year, when we need a good one more than ever. I haven't read anything about it yet. I'm sure it was covered somewhere, and I just missed it. I feel less informed this year, because I moved this summer, and I've been unpacking more, and reading my google alerts less. Laughing

No!  I can't pronounce his name.  lol  And his record is 68 yds. if I recall.  He was a soccer player when his family moved to Houston and he said he thought "why run around for hours when you can just play for 10 mins. a game and have more of an impact".  What a hoot this guy is going to be. 

You'll get caught up in no time I am sure pdh!!!!

Good luck!
thecuz
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 09:24:15 AM »

thank god...we picked up a field goal kicker....freshman...tejada...star right now cuz he kicked a 55 and 50 yarder during the scrimmage!!!!! lets see what he can do in a real game...lol!!!
last year our kicking game almost cost us 2 games...vanderbilt and alabama...thank goodness bama had the same problem...
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 08:48:36 PM »

60 yards? Shocked
From Bosnia? Shocked

No!  I can't pronounce his name.  lol  And his record is 68 yds. if I recall.  He was a soccer player when his family moved to Houston and he said he thought "why run around for hours when you can just play for 10 mins. a game and have more of an impact".  What a hoot this guy is going to be. 

You'll get caught up in no time I am sure pdh!!!!

Good luck!

Oh Gosh!!! He sounds like a character!!  He's probably good for the team. I'm gonna have to go look him up now, and watch for him when the Huskers are playing.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.