April 19, 2024, 10:46:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divine Design or Over Your Head?  (Read 23631 times)
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« on: August 12, 2007, 09:27:01 AM »

I just spotted this new forum and couldn't wait to post.  I confess, when I just can't listen to news anymore, or if Joe Tacopina is sliming up my screen, I "default" to the decorating shows.  My questions for you are what's your decorating style?  Do you own and use power tools?  What colors do you love and have you used them in your home?  Have you learned any lessons you'd like to share with us about DIY projects? 

Me?  I have a power drill.  It's pretty cool.  No room for jigsaws, table saws or belt sanders.  I love earth tones, natural colors.  I wish I knew how to do all this stuff they do on TV. 

You? 

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
ldstlou
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 10:06:09 AM »

Hey Puma, great idea for discussion. I am a realtor, don't watch the shows on tv but get alot of ideas from showing houses. I have the basic tools in my house. First time I used a power tool I decided men's "toys' were much better than the traditional female ones..lol...rather have a power drill in my hand over a mixer anyday!! lol

I learn from experience which usually means it takes me 3 times to get it right!! Lots of tears and cursing too..lol. I am a single Mom so try my hardest to do my projects on my own before I hire someone. Should just start hiring someone the first time!! Rolling Eyes I did learn that grouting ceramic tile is NOT as easy as it looks in the instructions!! lol

My colors are also very warm..lots of reds, greens and yellows. My bedroom is the last room of my 110 year old house I am decorating. Its the only one that is not warm colors. I am doing it in shabby chic pale green and blue.

"No justice for Natalee - No tourists for Aruba!"
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:15:29 AM »

I love the sense of satisfaction that comes from doing it yourself.  That's assuming you don't end up with a sorta kinda disaster!   Shocked  I've done mosaics on table tops and things that included grouting, but never a wall!  It is a little messy at best but they don't show that part on TV.    

As a realtor, you might be interested in Designed to Sell on HGTV.  It's on at 7 pm central time and they show how they update and stage homes for sale.  They go with a $2000 budget, but of course they have a designer and carpenter thrown in for free. 

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 11:08:35 AM »

I love the sense of satisfaction that comes from doing it yourself.  That's assuming you don't end up with a sorta kinda disaster!   Shocked  I've done mosaics on table tops and things that included grouting, but never a wall!  It is a little messy at best but they don't show that part on TV.    

As a realtor, you might be interested in Designed to Sell on HGTV.  It's on at 7 pm central time and they show how they update and stage homes for sale.  They go with a $2000 budget, but of course they have a designer and carpenter thrown in for free. 
Hi you all.
I watch a lot of the shows on HGTV now that my regular shows are in reruns.I like designers challenge,designed to sell,buy it! and there's one called color something I want to see.
I like all the warm,autumy colors and blues,purples.

Karma Is Coming

Justice for Natalee Holloway!

Rest In Peace Sweet Angels

Help Light Lindsey's Way Home
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 12:44:51 PM »

i have actually stolen a  lot of ideas from trading spaces... and did y'all know that you can use fabric for "un-permanent" wall paper?  It looks really cool and you can take it down with no damage to paint or your wall.   

LDSTlou - I painted our house  - it's an antique over 200 yrs old... that horsehair plaster just drinks paint... painted our bedroom red, with chocolate trim... and added a black, red, coral, comforter... (it's a Ralph Lauren I got on sale at Macy's) called I believe Bali... then added wall paper with an Indo-Asian theme... lampshade and footstool with leporad print, and some Asian/African accessories, it is a very sensual room... and I only spent around $250 to redecorate.... including paints, and stain and the comforter - (biggest expense actually)...
anyway I modified the idea from a trading spaces where they created a Bali room...

I love, love, love decorating and doing it on the cheap.... works my inner Martha!!

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 12:49:24 PM »

I forgot to say... there is way, I have been told to put the fabric up with starch.... the kind you get in a jug.. (not the spray stuff) I have to find that one out, and post it... it's my next project I think... need to revamp some other rooms...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
ldstlou
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 01:24:06 PM »

I forgot to say... there is way, I have been told to put the fabric up with starch.... the kind you get in a jug.. (not the spray stuff) I have to find that one out, and post it... it's my next project I think... need to revamp some other rooms...

I was going to try this next!!! sounds like a fantastic house and very SEXY bedroom!!!

ok...so the LAST on my list is new kitchen which could take a few years to save for...still need new rubber roof and tuckpointing and finishing a recroom for Nicholas in basement currently. So I had these gawdawful peach...yes peach countertops...one night I will tell you all what the previous owners did to this house...like took a gorgeous wood staircase and painted it green...yes easter grass color green!! AAAHHHHH!!!!
Anhoo...I did this cool sponge w/ 4 different colors on my counter tops and the coats of polyeurathane sp? sanding in between coats and it look so cool!! I blended the colors of my kitchen in it.

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 02:09:30 PM »

I am not sure I have a style, more collected look and I just went from colorful to toasted wheat throughout the public area, dry sage in kitchen and a spa blue in one bathroom, pottery rose in one and toasted wheat in the public bathroom.  I have tired of my bedroom being boring and have decided to do my walls in black. Our on-suite bathroom has white oval tub, white lava bowls, toilet, travertine floors and travertine shower with frameless shower doors and vanity tops are absolute black granite with lots of cabinets and plantation shutters and I found a neat wallpaper at Thibaut that is black with exotic birds for the bathroom.  I am going to use white waffle pique duvet cover, etc, for bed covering. 

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 02:13:32 PM »

Lil Puma, I don't do much of the work anymore but I used to be a wild and crazy paper hanger.  I like to do glaze finishes on furniture and I did paint my own (bottom) cabinets (which were oak) with white paint and used a nutmeg glaze on them. Then darkened the color of the top cabinets to a fruitwood color by cleaning, sanding and putting a darker stain on them.  I changed out the handles, etc.   I wanted my kitchen cabinets to have that British bespoke look and my cabinets were too new to replace so I just kind of did it myself.

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 06:15:57 PM »

Hi you all.
I watch a lot of the shows on HGTV now that my regular shows are in reruns.I like designers challenge,designed to sell,buy it! and there's one called color something I want to see.

Color Splash (I told you I watched this station a lot.)  That guy does great work and always includes a painting of his own.  He started out as an art major I think and got into design. 

Divine Design is Candice Olson.  She's Canadian and also does some beautiful work but I think just for other Canucks.   Sad

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 06:19:16 PM »

i have actually stolen a  lot of ideas from trading spaces... and did y'all know that you can use fabric for "un-permanent" wall paper?  It looks really cool and you can take it down with no damage to paint or your wall.   

LDSTlou - I painted our house  - it's an antique over 200 yrs old... that horsehair plaster just drinks paint... painted our bedroom red, with chocolate trim... and added a black, red, coral, comforter... (it's a Ralph Lauren I got on sale at Macy's) called I believe Bali... then added wall paper with an Indo-Asian theme... lampshade and footstool with leporad print, and some Asian/African accessories, it is a very sensual room... and I only spent around $250 to redecorate.... including paints, and stain and the comforter - (biggest expense actually)...
anyway I modified the idea from a trading spaces where they created a Bali room...

I love, love, love decorating and doing it on the cheap.... works my inner Martha!!

Sounds exotic and romantic!  I've never gone with dark colors on the walls.  I usually like the light and airy look.  I need to do some redecorating.  It's been awhile and the walls need painting, the furniture needs replacing -- at least some of it.  Most of it.  So I'm looking for ideas and trends and ways to DIY. 

KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 06:19:18 PM »

I was going to try this next!!! sounds like a fantastic house and very SEXY bedroom!!!

ok...so the LAST on my list is new kitchen which could take a few years to save for...still need new rubber roof and tuckpointing and finishing a recroom for Nicholas in basement currently. So I had these gawdawful peach...yes peach countertops...one night I will tell you all what the previous owners did to this house...like took a gorgeous wood staircase and painted it green...yes easter grass color green!! AAAHHHHH!!!!
Anhoo...I did this cool sponge w/ 4 different colors on my counter tops and the coats of polyeurathane sp? sanding in between coats and it look so cool!! I blended the colors of my kitchen in it.
That sounds wonderful!
I learned a lot from watching trading spaces like Mrs Red just said.I really dislike painting natural wood.We have all natural wood everything downstairs in this old house but the wood work and such are all painted upstairs.

Karma Is Coming

KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 06:32:06 PM »

Hi you all.

Color Splash (I told you I watched this station a lot.)  That guy does great work and always includes a painting of his own.  He started out as an art major I think and got into design. 

Divine Design is Candice Olson.  She's Canadian and also does some beautiful work but I think just for other Canucks.   Sad
That's it...Color Splash.I have it tivo'd so will finally get to watch it.

Karma Is Coming

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 02:17:51 AM »

Color Splash is that guy who won the last year's designer on HGTV.  I cannot think of his name, very nice looking, has a tattoo and likes to incorporate his own art work into the designs.

Candace is the one with the staff who does the skits.  She does some really neat designs but they are all quite expensive.  I suppose if I had the money .... no, our personalities would be like oil and water.  But she is good!  I just don't see that she ever asks her clients what they want beyond "what do you want to do in this room, work, play, cook or bathe?"  Then she sets about doing it and it makes me wonder how that incorporated into the rest of their 1960s track house that probably has olive appliances and shag carpet. Laughing

ldstlou
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 11:28:44 AM »

ok brilliant and crafty Monkeys..lol I need some ideas!!
going to try and describe this...my house is 110 year old city victorian...not sure anyone knows what that means..lol It has had quite a history and unfortunately, at one time my neighborhood had really gone to the dumps..or at least crack houses!! lol and then the neighborhood was declared historic so now all these wonderful historic rehabbers have come in and bought up the houses and they are just doing the coolest stuff!! They get fed and state tax credits too since it is now on historic register.
Anyhoo...so much has been done and undone to the houses over the decades. Originally, the bedrooms on these old houses were "pass through" you walked from one room to the next. Mine now has a hallway with a sitting room at the end of it and then 2 doors leading from hallway to the 2 bedrooms. There is still the original doorway though that led from my bedroom to my son's. The previos owners build a closet on the other side (son's room) so it is drywalled where the opening was but still has the doorway and above the window that all the rooms have above the doors...am I explaining this right or do I need to take a pic? lol
So I don't want to close off my side of the original doorway...I think it adds so much character and reminds me of the history of the house..but I want to do something really cool in that space...I have SOME ideas but want to see what you guys come up with.
Thanks!!

tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 11:36:21 AM »

Where is this in relation to the wall it's on?  Terrible sentence structure, but hopefully you know what I'm asking......

What do you have on that wall?  Furniture, pics.....?

Maybe you could post a pic of that area?  It might help the visual learners!  Laughing Laughing
ldstlou
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 04:26:28 PM »

Where is this in relation to the wall it's on?  Terrible sentence structure, but hopefully you know what I'm asking......

What do you have on that wall?  Furniture, pics.....?

Maybe you could post a pic of that area?  It might help the visual learners!  Laughing Laughing

I will take a pic tonight...now remember...my bedroom is last room I am on so still a work in the making!! lol But I am excited about getting some ideas!!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 01:12:06 PM »

well this is an interesting thread, tyler and I discuss decorating via email, this will be cool for we can post photos  Very Happy

I need a decorating budget again  Laughing that's my biggest problem !

ldstlou, I renovated two 100+ year old homes in GA, it truly is a labor of love. I know what you are speaking of for one of those had the bedrooms done in suites on the second story. One side was a bath, what we used as the master, and a sitting room with a coal fireplace we converted. The other side had two bedrooms off one bath and a then enclosed sleeper porch? I used the former porch as my nursery for son for he was born shortly after we moved into it, then later I used it as a small TV room for both kids.

Have you thought about using it for a small cubby/office or a crafts area? I noticed in my Martha Stewart mag this month that she converted an attic space to crafts area? We should be so lucky as to have her budget  Laughing

I've done a fair amount of glazing and finishes, on furniture and also walls, I've also done shirred fabric on one wall in a bedroom before, then hung a painting within it from the crown moulding? You can attach carpet strips, those wooden ones just above the baseboard and also below the crown moulding, staple the shirred fabric to that then hot glue gimp or cording over the staples?

I've made an upholstered headboard, I helped Rick build a few things too like a huge desk with a return. I've done decorative finishes on picture framing, tables, working on a huge blanket chest at this moment too in a french blue-gray and possibly will put some plaster relief on it. I also have a fire screen I did in blue and white, also a really neat tall cabinet a friend who is a noted decorative artist did. I'll try to take some photos of what I have eventually, daughter's fine camera Rick gave her was just stolen this morning  Mad.

I love all of the Pottery Barn furnishings even the cottage look, along with their casual upholstered pieces and I really do need to make slipcovers for a sofa and two lounge chairs too. I just have never made a slipcover so a bit nervous but they surely make them fast as lightning on those shows!

I really like Candace's Divine Design most of all but can't afford what she spends  Laughing

Don't you think the clients she features get a cost break? I think so for not all of them appear to have glamorous digs and she does use some very expensive treatments, I'm sure her show has a budget?

ldstlou, have you ever seen that Debbie's show who does the painted finishes? What is her last name? My memory......ugh........she's a master and also at trompe l'oeil.

I continue to stand with the girl.
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 08:39:29 PM »

Nonesie, I couldn't keep up with you just reading your post!   Laughing  On one of the shows recently they said that in Atlanta, traditional furnishings are still what "everyone" does, but they're starting to come out of this era and venture into different styles.  But with all the old beautiful homes, I guess you can't and shouldn't start doing NY Loft styling, eh? 

Debbie Travis, I think.  I liked her, but her painting projects were a bit much for me.  I couldn't get into all the faux finishes.  She does great work though.  Don't know if she's still on.  Haven't seen her show in awhile. 

Have any of you watched the show "spice up my kitchen"?  If you have, did you notice that the host/designer is none other than Lauren Lake, of Fox News fame?  You remember, she was loud and angry all the time?  Maybe she was going to design school while doing her defense attorney commentary on Fox.  She's not nearly as loud or angry on HGTV.   Laughing

CJ1
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 08:54:31 PM »

I love doing things around the house.  I have a set of cordless power tools and two tool boxes of other necessary items.  My favorite tool is my cordless screwdriver.  If I need table saws and such I have to visit my brother or sister.  I have fenced my entire yard and built a gated arbor from my own ideas.  I have planted everything that is in my yard.  I have a modern Federal Colonial that I have stenciled just about every room.  Last summer I designed and made a king size headboard that looks like a huge mantle.  I painted it to match my Hitchcock white and stenciled it to go with the stenciling on the wall.  My favorite project I completed this spring...my sewing room/office.  I put in a hardwood floor (3rd one I've done).  I wanted to do Venetian plaster, but my shoulder wasn't up to it. I painted three walls apricot and ragged on a burnt sienna glaze.  It looks like terra cotta.  The fourth wall I painted with b/w checks ala MacKenzie-Childs.  I already put a Shaker peg rail and shelf on that wall and had copied a stencil from a local historic home that I wanted to use, so above the shelf I stenciled and painted a gold stripe above and below it then added a row of checks above and below the stenciling.  It is so different than the rest of my house.  I have always enjoyed different architectural styles.  I loved my grandparent's Victorian.  Anyone who has done restoration has my admiration.   
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.