April 19, 2024, 02:20:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divine Design or Over Your Head?  (Read 23630 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 08:35:07 AM »

Nonesie, I couldn't keep up with you just reading your post!   Laughing  On one of the shows recently they said that in Atlanta, traditional furnishings are still what "everyone" does, but they're starting to come out of this era and venture into different styles.  But with all the old beautiful homes, I guess you can't and shouldn't start doing NY Loft styling, eh? 

Debbie Travis, I think.  I liked her, but her painting projects were a bit much for me.  I couldn't get into all the faux finishes.  She does great work though.  Don't know if she's still on.  Haven't seen her show in awhile. 

Have any of you watched the show "spice up my kitchen"?  If you have, did you notice that the host/designer is none other than Lauren Lake, of Fox News fame?  You remember, she was loud and angry all the time?  Maybe she was going to design school while doing her defense attorney commentary on Fox.  She's not nearly as loud or angry on HGTV.   Laughing

Laughing Laughing no I haven't seen Lauren but now I will make a point to see her transformation !

Yes Atlanta is very traditional and in architecture and furnishings, but I went against the norm a bit in that the second house I renovated was an italian palladian style home in clapboard no less? The majority of my antiques are french or italian, not the glitz and glamour type but rather quiet elegance?  Laughing

I just wish I had a big old budget for all of this, I'd have so much fun  Laughing

I continue to stand with the girl.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 08:40:49 AM »

I love doing things around the house.  I have a set of cordless power tools and two tool boxes of other necessary items.  My favorite tool is my cordless screwdriver.  If I need table saws and such I have to visit my brother or sister.  I have fenced my entire yard and built a gated arbor from my own ideas.  I have planted everything that is in my yard.  I have a modern Federal Colonial that I have stenciled just about every room.  Last summer I designed and made a king size headboard that looks like a huge mantle.  I painted it to match my Hitchcock white and stenciled it to go with the stenciling on the wall.  My favorite project I completed this spring...my sewing room/office.  I put in a hardwood floor (3rd one I've done).  I wanted to do Venetian plaster, but my shoulder wasn't up to it. I painted three walls apricot and ragged on a burnt sienna glaze.  It looks like terra cotta.  The fourth wall I painted with b/w checks ala MacKenzie-Childs.  I already put a Shaker peg rail and shelf on that wall and had copied a stencil from a local historic home that I wanted to use, so above the shelf I stenciled and painted a gold stripe above and below it then added a row of checks above and below the stenciling.  It is so different than the rest of my house.  I have always enjoyed different architectural styles.  I loved my grandparent's Victorian.  Anyone who has done restoration has my admiration.   

CJ1-

We gotta email  Very Happy !!!! I so admire you, I have wanted to build a pergola forever but since I am selling this home now I'll have to wait? I can tell you from experience you were smart not to do the venetian plaster, it's heck on a body and a whole lot of scraping too to get the best effects. I'm not sure I'd ever try to do a whole room in it again it was so much work!

You like mckenzie child? My mother and I discovered them the second year they were in business, she carried their line in the gift and furnishings section of her art gallery? I have lots of it, even one of the early side tables with the funky legs?  Laughing I like their earlier things more than those in the last five to seven years, I even still have a postcard set with about 50 in it, that they used as a promotional. I love just looking back at all of it. I have a long counter in my kitchen/great room that's done all in MChilds, since daughter's camera was stolen yesterday  Sad I'll have to wait to take decent photos. Her nana felt so sorry for her she's going to help her buy a new one, thank heavens for Nana's !

CJ1
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 07:22:31 PM »

nonesuche,

Nothing I do is anything special.  I'm not skilled, I just do it.  If I need to check things out, my son is an architect.  So far he has said what I want to do is structurally sound.  If I have a need for something,  I just build what suits me.  I do get a lot of satisfaction from it though.  You can get my email from BTgirl or Angie. 
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 08:44:51 PM »

I am more of a cottage style person, or that casual, comfortable elegance that makes you feel at home. I just moved into a new house....a 1950's brick rancher that was totally redone. It has original hardwoods in every room except the kitchen and 2 baths, which have ceramic tile, and a new kitchen and master suite added on. It's very cute, and we just love it. But now I have to start decorating!
It doesn't need painting - all that was done during the remodel. I just have to decide what kind of sofa I want ( and can afford) and get a new kitchen table.
If I had an unlimited budget, I'd head straight to Ethan Allen.
I also need to add a few things to the yard. I have a front porch that is begging for ferns and a bench.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007, 11:32:42 PM »

I am more of a cottage style person, or that casual, comfortable elegance that makes you feel at home. I just moved into a new house....a 1950's brick rancher that was totally redone. It has original hardwoods in every room except the kitchen and 2 baths, which have ceramic tile, and a new kitchen and master suite added on. It's very cute, and we just love it. But now I have to start decorating!
It doesn't need painting - all that was done during the remodel. I just have to decide what kind of sofa I want ( and can afford) and get a new kitchen table.
If I had an unlimited budget, I'd head straight to Ethan Allen.
I also need to add a few things to the yard. I have a front porch that is begging for ferns and a bench.

I've gotten some flyers from Ethan Allen and I seem to like the most expensive items.     I too prefer a more casual, maybe even rustic feel than the more formal look.  I've seen some beach themes done, as in northeast coast, not Florida, and they're absolutely beautiful with beadboard and whitewashing. 

Right now I'm trying to decide which shade of green to paint my living room and what I should do about the dining room and kitchen that connect.  All green would be too much green  Shocked but I don't know how to blend the rooms together. 

I love the idea that CJ posted about making a room look like it's terra cotta.  I have lots of plants in terra cotta pots.  I like the natural patio kind of look. 

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
CJ1
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 10:56:45 AM »

pdh3
I love the cottage look.  I've been trying to give the front of my house the cottage garden look.  A couple weeks ago I was tearring out wild flowers that were crowding perennials that I paid for and the neighbors all came out screaming at me.  They love driving down the street because my flowers just light it up.  You might want to pick up a copy of "Cottage Living".  Their website is www.cottageliving.com.  Maybe it will help in your choices.  I saw an article in the mag recently that featured a garden that the owner described as "borderline shabby".  That describes my gardens too.  You also might try unfinished furniture.  I have some Amish made that I had finished to blend with what I already had.  It's solid wood and reasonable.

Lilpuma
I love the beach theme too.  I have tried to make my bedroom feel like it's on the New England coast...light blue and green accents, Hitchcock furniture, stenciling, simple white curtains and shutters, seacoast prints and photos I have taken.  When picking your green look at the other shades in the rooms.  You may want the LR a peaceful green, but pick a complementing color for the DR.  Without seeing the rooms it's hard to make suggestions.  Take a look at "Coastal Living"  www.coastalliving.com.  They feature the looks from all coasts. 

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 04:39:11 PM »

LilPuma - my hall bath has beadboard walls, and I love it. I really do love this house. It feels like home. My master bed and bath is painted a sage green, and it's very soothing. I'm not sure what color of comforter I want to go with it though. I have a rice bed, which is nice with the vaulted ceiling. I haven't found anything I really can't live without yet, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 06:35:11 PM »

I just spotted this new forum and couldn't wait to post.  I confess, when I just can't listen to news anymore, or if Joe Tacopina is sliming up my screen, I "default" to the decorating shows.  My questions for you are what's your decorating style?  Do you own and use power tools?  What colors do you love and have you used them in your home?  Have you learned any lessons you'd like to share with us about DIY projects? 

Me?  I have a power drill.  It's pretty cool.  No room for jigsaws, table saws or belt sanders.  I love earth tones, natural colors.  I wish I knew how to do all this stuff they do on TV. 

You? 

I have had a drill for eons. I would like to have many more power tools, such as saws for craft projects (and the skill in using them~ LOL!) and a sander.

I never knew how much I liked barn red until Justin was old enough to voice that red is his favorite color. Once I started looking for and buying red clothing, decor and toys for him, I started noticing how nice many other things look in red. Red is now a dominate or central aspect to my decor throughout the house.

As far as decorating style, it used to be that I favored and had Queen Anne furniture and related decor. While I still have my Queen Anne bedroom suite and a sofa, the family room is now a country/americana/casual decor. We have two sets of oversized (and I mean huge) chair and ottoman in red, red tabbed draperies, black tables, and a red desk. Lamp bases are black with red shades. I've considered buying a red comforter for my bed, but figure that I will eventually tire of this red thing. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2007, 12:44:27 PM »

Justins:  Maybe consider a duvet cover?  Or take 2 sheets in color or design you like and recover what you have on your bed now? 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2007, 06:12:30 PM »

LilPuma - my hall bath has beadboard walls, and I love it. I really do love this house. It feels like home. My master bed and bath is painted a sage green, and it's very soothing. I'm not sure what color of comforter I want to go with it though. I have a rice bed, which is nice with the vaulted ceiling. I haven't found anything I really can't live without yet, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

What little I know about color theory is that you want to keep your colors with the same 'value', i.e., muted tones with muted tones and clear-bright with clear-bright.  Since sage is a muted color, you might consider winter white, champagne or a pale peach.  Sage is a popular color, so you might find a print or something with sage in it. 

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2007, 02:34:16 PM »

Justins:  Maybe consider a duvet cover?  Or take 2 sheets in color or design you like and recover what you have on your bed now? 

Muffy~ You are a genius!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2007, 03:19:25 PM »

Muffy~ You are a genius!

TY Justins.  Not genius.  Just practical. Cool

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2007, 10:18:59 AM »

Just a tip, I have found some awesome deals on Pottery Barn duvet covers/shams/bedskirts on ebay recently? I got some real steals !

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2007, 01:29:44 AM »

What little I know about color theory is that you want to keep your colors with the same 'value', i.e., muted tones with muted tones and clear-bright with clear-bright.  Since sage is a muted color, you might consider winter white, champagne or a pale peach.  Sage is a popular color, so you might find a print or something with sage in it. 

I was actually considering a winter white comforter that is machine washable, since I have cats and teens at home. The dog isn't allowed on my bed, but he still brushes up against it. I found a quilt that was off white, and had embroidered flowers with sage green leaves, and it came with a dust ruffle. I'm still condidering it, but I'm not sure it's "the one"!

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »

I was actually considering a winter white comforter that is machine washable, since I have cats and teens at home. The dog isn't allowed on my bed, but he still brushes up against it. I found a quilt that was off white, and had embroidered flowers with sage green leaves, and it came with a dust ruffle. I'm still condidering it, but I'm not sure it's "the one"!

That sounds beautiful!  I'm with you on the washable part.  Unless you have a ton of money to spend on dry cleaning, it makes a lot more sense.  My comforter is an off white chenille kind of fabric and totally washable.  As I'm "visualizing" your room, I'm thinking you could add an accent of rust or gold.  It could be in the sheets and pillow cases, extra pillows, a vase, part of your comforter print or something.  Don't forget the duvet cover option if you already have a comforter.  It's a lot cheaper than a whole new comforter and you could even make one with fabric you buy.  After all, it's just like a huge pillow case with buttons, snaps or velcro on the end. 

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2007, 06:03:01 PM »

I love love love the gold and rust accent idea!!!! I could actually recover some I already have, and add some trim. Idea

I'm trying to find a picture to copy, but I don't get magazines anymore. I just flip through while I have the kids at the orthodontist's office. Laughing
I need to take the time and go online to see what's there. Anyone know of any really good sites?

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 05:14:54 PM »

HGTV.com has all kinds of decorating stuff.  DIY (don't know their web addy) would have some, although that might be remodeling more than redecorating.  Maybe try some of the magazines' websites like Southern Living or Martha Stewart. 

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2007, 07:16:50 AM »

HGTV is www.hgtv.com

I've missed this store since I moved from GA but finally they have taken some of their fabrics online, bargains !! Thank you !!
http://www.calicocorners.com/category/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+by+type.do

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2007, 07:28:07 PM »

HGTV is www.hgtv.com

I've missed this store since I moved from GA but finally they have taken some of their fabrics online, bargains !! Thank you !!
http://www.calicocorners.com/category/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+by+type.do

I've past this store, Calico Corners, a few times in one of our suburbs but I always thought it was just a fabric store.  This looks like a great place from your link! 

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.