April 27, 2024, 09:11:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dean Levasseur 24, from Freeport, ME msg 4/21/12 in Howland, ME(Body Found)  (Read 3532 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: April 24, 2012, 08:41:24 AM »

I wasn't going to add this because I figured he'd turn up, but he has not as of this morning---still missing.

snipped

Howland - State police are looking for a man from Freeport who's been missing since Saturday.

Police say 24-year-old Dean Levasseur was last seen in Howland at the outdoor "Chickenfest" party, which is a secretive event put on by Umaine students.

Police say Levasseur arrived with a carload of friends at the party in the woods, but they lost track of him during the evening.

Levasseur was supposed to playing with his band, but the Freeport police chief says he disappeared before the 11 p.m. performance.

State police and game wardens used a canine to search the area for Levasseur Monday but couldn't send up a search plane because of the weather.

We're told Levasseur's cell phone last tried to connect to a tower in Lagrange but is now either turned off or the battery had died.

He's described as 5' 6", 145 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes.

Levasseur was last seen wearing a green sweatshirt and blue jeans.

Anyone who knows where Levasseur is or has been in contact with him since Saturday is asked to call State Police at 866-2121.
http://www.wabi.tv/news/29502/freeport-man-missing-after-secretive-party-with-umaine-students
Edit to add "body found" to subject line.  MB
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:06:24 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:42:39 AM »

Map from Howland to LaGrange

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=Howland%2C%20ME%20to%20Lagrange%2C%20ME

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/04/23/news/bangor/man-missing-after-attending-chickenfest-in-howland/

snipped
Fiske described Chickenfest as a mini-Woodstock for college-age people.

“They had bands out there playing. It’s just a big party,” he said. “There [were] cars from all over — New York, Canada.”

In recent years, Chickenfest has been held in LaGrange, Argyle and just outside Greenfield, Fiske said.

Fiske, Penobscot County Deputy Chief Troy Morton and five others from Penobscot County were at Chickenfest on Saturday night trying to stop the influx of students heading into the party, which was located on private land owned by a logging company.

Morton, who after leaving the party scene got into a crash with a moose that sent the deputy chief to the hospital with a concussion, charged at least one person with underage drinking, Fiske said. The total number of people charged by Penobscot County sheriff’s deputies was not available on Monday.

“There were probably several hundred folks already there [by the time police arrived],” the trooper said. “We did the best we could from that point” stopping cars heading down the property’s dirt driveway.

To get around the law, attendees “ended up parking elsewhere and hiking through the woods to get there,” Fiske said.

The college-age attendees brought beer, wine and alcohol and left a pile of litter in the woods in their wake, the trooper said, noting that Sunday was Earth Day.

“It seems like everything they carried in got left behind — tents, tarps, broken glass,” Fiske said.

After Chickenfest ended, state police learned from Freeport police that Levasseur was missing.

The Maine Warden Service was first tasked with searching for the missing man and state police assisted by providing a search dog, Fiske said.

“When the weather clears and if he is still not located, the plane will be used as well,” the trooper said.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:50:33 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:46:40 AM »

Still no sign of him......

cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:44:13 AM »

an angelic monkey

Body of missing Maine musician found

By Nick Sambides Jr. and Nok-Noi Ricker / Bangor Daily News, Maine
Wednesday, April 25, 2012

::snipping2::
HOWLAND, Maine -- Searchers found a body tentatively identified as that of missing Freeport resident Dean Levasseur shortly after 10 a.m. Wednesday in thick woods several hundred yards west of the makeshift stage the 24-year-old musician was to perform on nearly four days ago, authorities said.

Speaking at a press conference in a lot off Lagrange Road near Interstate 95’s Exit 217, Maine Warden Service Lt. Kevin Adam and Maine State Police Detective Sgt. John Cote could not yet offer any insights into the cause or manner of Levasseur’s death. Nor could they say much about the circumstances leading to his disappearance early Sunday.
Another family member, Nathan Oliver, the husband of Levasseur’s sister, Deirdra Levasseur Oliver, earlier posted on the Facebook page set up for searchers that those heading to the area to help no longer were needed.

"If you have made plans to travel to help the search for Dean, please do not come. Dean has been found and is deceased," Levasseur’s brother-in-law posted just before 11 a.m. Wednesday. "We have no more information about this at this time."

"From the deepest bottom of our hearts, thank you. Thank all of you for your unflinching and strong support. Thank you to the people who have helped in the effort to locate our very beloved Dean."

With the discovery of the body, the investigation shifts from the Maine Warden Service to state police, Cote said. An autopsy is expected within the next few days.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/northeast/view.bg?articleid=1061127036&srvc=rss

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:05:47 AM »

I had hoped for a different outcome in the disappearance of this young man.  I'm moving this to "Missing Found Deceased".   an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 06:05:55 AM »

Police: Freeport man shot himself at Chickenfest in Howland

Last modified April 26, 2012, at 9:05 p.m.
HOWLAND, Maine — The guitar player from Freeport who went missing after attending Chickenfest last weekend took his own life, the Maine State Police said Thursday.

“Dean Levasseur died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head,” Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety, said in a statement Thursday afternoon. “A handgun Levasseur had purchased earlier in the month was found with his body.”

The band played at Kingman’s bar in Old Town on Friday night, said University of Maine student Hugh Valaitis of Waldoboro, a drummer for the band. He was one of the 150 or so family members, friends and volunteers who showed up to search for Levasseur on Tuesday and Wednesday.

About an hour after arriving at Chickenfest, Levasseur’s bandmates took the stage at about 11:30 p.m. Saturday and called for Levasseur to come play his guitar, but he never showed.

“State Police detectives say their investigation indicates that Levasseur likely shot himself about 1:30 Sunday morning, about a quarter mile from the stage area of the outdoor gathering that he was scheduled to play his guitar at,” McCausland said in the statement.   ::snipping2::
Levasseur sent a text message at around 1:30 a.m. Sunday and that was the last message he ever made, the sergeant said.

State police detectives believe Levasseur likely shot himself shortly afterward.

The state of Maine’s suicide hotline referral number is 888-568-1112.
http://bangordailynews.com/2012/04/26/news/penobscot/police-freeport-man-shot-himself-at-chickenfest-in-howland/

melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 10:18:08 AM »

Thank you Nut for both Maine articles.  I'm so sorry this man couldn't find a reason to live!  He was obv talented and in school but I know sometimes you just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I would like to know his last message and he was so close to all the people but no one found him.  I've grown up semi small townish but we partied in the woods all the time and us girls always had to walk way far away to go potty so how he wasn't stumbled upon Idk!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.