April 28, 2024, 12:03:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing Kelly Gorham 30, Alfred Maine(BODY FOUND)  (Read 29827 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2010, 11:09:16 AM »

Much to my dismay, there's no Death Penalty in Maine. To the best of my recollection, in Maine there is no parole, that means IF he gets LIFE in prison......that means till he dies...

Jason Twardus found guilty of murder
 Ken Christian, Information Center Content Manager     36 mins ago

ALFRED, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- The jury in the murder trial of Jason Twardus has found him guilty of murder. They got the case Thursday afternoon.

Twardus stood accused of killing his former fiance, Kelly Gorham in her apartment in Alfred back in August of 2007 and then burying her body on his father's property in New Hampshire.

During the two and a half weeks of testimony, Twardus's lawyer, Dan Lilley worked to convince the jury that his client was the victim of a perfect crime, in which he was framed for Gorham's murder. He even pointed to Gorham's landlord John Durfee as a possible suspect.

But the prosecutor in the case, Assistant Attorney General Bill Stokes warned the jury in his closing statement that if Twardus was innocent, the coincidences in the case were cosmic or the frame job was epic.

After closing arguments were made in the early afternoon Thursday, the jury chose to go immediately into deliberations and not break for lunch. The verdict was reached just after 10:00am Friday.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=130432&catid=2

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »

Verdict brings relief for Gorhams

Saturday, October 2, 2010 12:08 PM EDT
ALFRED — Kelly Gorham was a beautiful person, said her mother, Pauline Gorham Friday.

“She was the most caring girl in the world.”

Gorham, a 30-year-old nursing student, went missing from her Alfred apartment sometime after Aug. 7, 2007. Her remains were found a month later in remote Stewartstown, N.H., just a few miles from Maine’s border with Quebec. The land where her body was found is owned by Brian Twardus, the father of Jason Twardus, with whom Gorham had once been engaged.

On Friday at 10:20 a.m., after a three-week trial, a seven-man, five-woman jury returned a guilty verdict in the murder case against Jason Twardus at York County Superior Court.

Twardus, 29, showed no emotion as the jury foreman read the verdict.

Twardus was interviewed early and often after Gorham disappeared. He was indicted by a York County Grand Jury and arrested in connection with Gorham’s strangulation murder in January 2009.

For Pauline Gorham and her family, the guilty verdict came as a relief. It has been more than three years since her daughter went missing and was later found dead.

Pauline Gorham said she went numb when the verdict was read.

She said remembered thinking, “I’ve got to wait and make sure this is real.”

Defense counsel Dan Lilley had advanced the notion that Gorham’s landlord, John Durfee, was responsible for Kelly Gorham’s death, in concert with Calvin Degrennia, whom Durfee had met in jail. Degreenia worked for Durfee, lived on the Durfee property and had recently established a relationship with Gorham.

The three had grilled steaks on the evening of Aug., 7, 2007. Kelly Gorham was not seen alive after that night.

Deputy Attorney General William Stokes said Lilley’s theory was impossible – particularly since Durfee’s cell phone was using towers in Sanford for a signal on Aug. 8 and could not have been in northern New Hampshire. Instead, Stokes said Twardus came onto the Durfee property, where Gorham had an apartment, killed the woman he once hoped to marry and then drove away to New Hampshire, taking Gorham’s body with him.

Stokes, outside the court Friday morning following the reading of the verdict, said the evidence in the case against Twardus was powerful.

“It doesn’t bring Kelly back,” Stokes pointed out.

And he expressed sympathy for the Twardus family – Brian Twardus, his daughter and other family members who, like the Gorhams, sat in court throughout the entire three-week trial. Twardus’ sister wept following the verdict and was comforted by her father.

“I feel bad for the Twarduses,” Stokes said. “They’re innocent victims, too.”

During closing arguments, Stokes described Twardus as a jealous man, obsessed with Kelly Gorham.

The jury deliberated for more than three hours Thursday afternoon and for 50 minutes Friday morning before sending a note to Justice G. Arthur Brennan that a verdict had been reached.

Jury foreman Mike Dinneen of Saco said the jury believed a video image of a man at Big Apple convenience store in Colebrook, N.H. near Stewartstown, N.H. on Aug. 8, 2007 was indeed Jason Twardus. But he said the jury also wondered why the police had not used a cadaver dog to search Twardus’ car.

Dinneen said the jury felt Twardus was “ a little cocky,” on the witness stand, but acknowledged that even if the defendant had appeared humble, it wouldn’t have changed his testimony.

He said Twardus had “tons of detail” about what he did when his testimony could be corroborated and less detail when there was no corroboration. He said the defense’s suggestion that Durfee was involved in Gorham’s death just didn’t add up.

Brennan ordered that Twardus be held without bail pending sentencing.

Nancy Durfee, who testified at the trial, said Kelly Gorham often stopped by the house in the evening before making her way further down the driveway to her apartment. They’d talk and have pie and were friends, she said.

Nancy Durfee said her family has had some nasty calls in connection with the trial. She said she’d glad it is over.

“I loved her, she was like family,” said Nancy Durfee.

“Kelly Gorham was an outstanding citizen of Alfred. She was a very good person,” said John Durfee in a telephone interview Friday afternoon. She was a terrific girl and came from a nice family.” A nurse, he pointed out that Gorham dedicated her life to saving lives.

As for Twardus, “I hope he doesn’t see the light of day again,” Durfee said.

Stokes, deputy attorney general, said his team will meet with Attorney General Janet Mills to prepare a sentencing analysis and make a recommendation. He said the process generally takes a few months.

In Maine, a murder conviction carries a minimum sentence of 25 years to a maximum of life in prison.

Lilley, defense counsel, could not be reached for comment.

For Pauline Gorham, the last three years have been very difficult, she said. She’s managed to present an upbeat demeanor, but acknowledged it was not easy.

“I knew I had to do it for Kelly,” she said.

She shook her head when asked what she would say to Jason Twardus if she had an opportunity, but she did speak of his family.

“It has been almost as difficult for them,” she said. “I wish them well.”
http://www.journaltribune.com/articles/2010/10/02/news/doc4ca67fcf45a01486814772.txt

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »

RIP now, pretty lady....

www.amw.com

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »

Medical records of Twardus murder trial witness sought: Counsel for former Gonic man cites new evidence discovered

By ELLEN W. TODD
Sanford News Writer
Saturday, February 12, 2011

ALFRED — An attorney for Jason Twardus has asked to see the medical records of a witness who testified in his murder trial last fall.

Superior Court Justice G. Arthur Brennan said Friday he will decide early next week whether or not to grant a motion allowing Twardus' attorney to examine Nancy Durfee's medical records in connection with Twardus' motion for a new trial.

Durfee's medical records were requested earlier in a separate incident in October involving a charge against her husband, John, for eluding police. That motion was granted.

Twardus, 29, of Gonic, N.H., was convicted Oct. 1, 2010, of murder in the 2007 death of Kelly Gorham, his former fiancée. Twardus' attorney, Daniel Lilley, filed a motion for a new trial last month citing evidence that has been discovered since the trial — evidence that "would probably change the result of the trial if presented to the jury," according to the motion filed in York County Superior Court.

Gorham disappeared in August of 2007. Her body was discovered in northern New Hampshire nearly four weeks later on property owned by Twardus' father.

At the time of her disappearance, Gorham was living in an apartment on property owned by John and Nancy Durfee in Alfred. Twardus had also lived there when he and Gorham were engaged and for a short time afterward before moving back to his father's home in Gonic.

During the trial, Lilley maintained there was no evidence that Twardus was at Gorham's home the night she disappeared. Lilley pointed out that John Durfee and a tenant who lived in the Durfees' pool house had dinner with Gorham before she disappeared and were the last people to see her alive.
snipped..much more>
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110212/GJNEWS_01/702129933

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 08:48:21 AM »

::justice2NJ::

Judge rejects new trial for convicted killer JasonTwardus

Thursday, July 21, 2011

snippedALFRED, Maine — A Maine judge has denied Jason Twardus' request for a new trial in the 2007 murder of his former fiancée.

In a brief statement released earlier this week, York County Superior Court Justice G. Arthur Brennan denied Twardus' request for a new trial. A court clerk said Wednesday afternoon that Justice Brennan will release a supplemental order detailing his reasons for denying the request.
 ::snipping2::
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110721/GJNEWS03/307219998/-1/SANNEWS

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 09:16:17 AM »

::justice2NJ::

Judge rejects new trial for convicted killer JasonTwardus

Thursday, July 21, 2011

snippedALFRED, Maine — A Maine judge has denied Jason Twardus' request for a new trial in the 2007 murder of his former fiancée.

In a brief statement released earlier this week, York County Superior Court Justice G. Arthur Brennan denied Twardus' request for a new trial. A court clerk said Wednesday afternoon that Justice Brennan will release a supplemental order detailing his reasons for denying the request.
 ::snipping2::
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110721/GJNEWS03/307219998/-1/SANNEWS

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 08:45:36 AM »

Key witness goes missing in hearing of man convicted of killing ex-fiancee

5-2-11

ALFRED, Maine — A testimonial hearing in a bid by convicted murderer Jason Twardus for a new trial will continue at an unscheduled date because the man considered a critical witness in the case cannot be located.

Calvin Degreenia, one of two men defense counsel Daniel Lilley had painted as “alternate suspects” in the 2007 murder of Kelly Gorham, didn’t show up in a New Hampshire courtroom for a hearing on a subpoena to testify in Twardus’ bid for a new trial. A warrant has since been issued for his arrest.

Meanwhile, Deputy Attorney General William R. Stokes, who prosecuted Twardus, the New Hampshire man convicted of killing Gorham in Alfred in 2007, was among those taking the stand Monday, answering questions posed by Lilley.

Twardus was sentenced last August to 38 years in prison for the Alfred strangulation killing of Gorham, a woman to whom he was once engaged. Arriving at York County Superior Court in prison orange, he changed to a dark suit by the time the hearing commenced. As he did for most of the trial, he sat with his hands folded in his lap, looking straight ahead.

Lilley’s first motion for a new trial was denied in June 2011, prior to sentencing. In his second motion for a new trial, Lilley said the state had failed to disclose evidence critical to his client.
 ::snipping2:: ::snipping2:: ::snipping2::
http://bangordailynews.com/2012/05/01/news/state/key-witness-goes-missing-in-hearing-of-man-convicted-of-killing-ex-fiancee/?ref=polbeat

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012, 08:51:30 AM »

Posted yesterday

NH man convicted of killing ex-fiancee seeks new trial

The Associated Press on May 01, 2012, at 11:13 a.m.
http://bangordailynews.com/2012/05/01/news/portland/nh-man-convicted-of-killing-ex-fiancee-seeks-new-trial/

Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.