April 18, 2024, 10:14:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musing Daily Open Discussion #2 8/17 - 8/24/2007  (Read 271052 times)
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #240 on: August 19, 2007, 09:34:34 AM »

Don't we have some Oklahoma Monkeys?  Is that the remnants of Erin pounding Oklahoma City?
Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #241 on: August 19, 2007, 10:02:28 AM »

I see my Shango discussion has once again irritated a few people.  I didn't put it in Shango because...THERE WAS NOBODY IN THERE TO TALK TO. There is never anyone in there.  It's a hit and run type thread and apparently that is how it must be. Sadly, the only place to talk about anything at anytime is in chat and I am certain if I go there to do so, I will be chastised concerning that.  So would someone PLEASE GIVE ME A MAP.  I am really tired of writing myself in my own book...in fact...I think I am tossing my book and pencils as I speak. 

Morning monkeys.  Still hot and dry here with little chance of rain. 
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #242 on: August 19, 2007, 10:08:14 AM »

Don't we have some Oklahoma Monkeys?  Is that the remnants of Erin pounding Oklahoma City?

Easy, I just heard them say on Headline News that it is indeed the remnants of Erin.

I Stand With The Girl
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #243 on: August 19, 2007, 10:08:55 AM »

We seem to have drifted off course a bit in the past 5 pages. I only mention it because it's so easy to fall back into old habits. Discussing the case in the wrong area really adds to people's confusion about where to discuss what.

We now have a specific area where any aspect of the Natalee case can be discussed. It is in the "Natalee Case Discussion" thread, located in the Natalee Holloway section.

The Monkey Musings thread was created especially for socializing and general off-topic conversation.

Here's how I explained it last week in Chat: "If you want to talk about what kind of car Joran drives, that goes in the Natalee Case Discussion area. If you want to talk about what kind of car Dugga drives, that goes in Monkey Musings." Smile

Please don't be offended by this message. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I promise! I know it takes everyone awhile to get used to new things, and we're all working thru the transition. Thanks for understanding!!!

Dugga,
Perhaps you could explain these kinds of things in the Musings Thread instead of in chat where many of us will not see it?

Instead of complaining that things are not working, I contend that they are.  I was led astray by two mods and a hall monitor to discuss Natalee in detail in this thread and so thought it was OK.  Cool

Dugga,  I agree completely with what you are trying to do!  So many times in the past I have had my entire line of thought just devastated by off topic right in the middle of news, big news even, and just given up trying to hold anything like a serious discussion of Natalee's disappearance.

Yes, we did lapse a bit in the last few pages but on the whole, the new format is working really well.   I hope we never go back to the chaos of before as it is totally inappropriate to have lots of things that were discussed under the heading of somebody's missing and likely deceased child.  I just won't do it as I think it is morally wrong to do that.  Same thing Greta does when saying she will have a segment about Natalee then only having a minute at the end of the program.

When people come to read about Natalee, it should be about her and only her.  All else can be here.  And it is working really well so be patient and we will learn.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #244 on: August 19, 2007, 10:09:32 AM »

We seem to have drifted off course a bit in the past 5 pages. I only mention it because it's so easy to fall back into old habits. Discussing the case in the wrong area really adds to people's confusion about where to discuss what.

We now have a specific area where any aspect of the Natalee case can be discussed. It is in the "Natalee Case Discussion" thread, located in the Natalee Holloway section.

The Monkey Musings thread was created especially for socializing and general off-topic conversation.

Here's how I explained it last week in Chat: "If you want to talk about what kind of car Joran drives, that goes in the Natalee Case Discussion area. If you want to talk about what kind of car Dugga drives, that goes in Monkey Musings." Smile

Please don't be offended by this message. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I promise! I know it takes everyone awhile to get used to new things, and we're all working thru the transition. Thanks for understanding!!!

There's a song that has a phrase "that ole gang of mine"

IMO I can see the Monkeys falling apart.

Is it all worth it?  I agree with Lala'sMom.. your sure can get lost and discouraged around here anymore IMO

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #245 on: August 19, 2007, 10:16:17 AM »

Why not just have a Lively Discussion thread where anything goes, including the all important social aspect of the forum.  If anything of importance comes up it could point to a more specific thread.  The lifeblood of a forum is the real time interaction of its members.  Take that away and you have a newspaper.

Thanks, Easy, for putting into better words.
Yes.... this is not a bbs

Personally I just don't know where to go anymore and now I have to check at least 3 threads to keep up.

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2007, 10:18:18 AM »

IBE,
I don't think that is happening at all.  We are having a little trouble learning where to post what but that will become second nature to us soon.

I think in fact there are just as many if not more posts however now instead of being on one monster thread, they are scattered out under their own threads.  Bet the actual number of posts might even be up.  We don't have to wade through page after page after page looking for the few posts actually about Natalee that used to be posted under her name.

Example of this would be the music thread.  I know some don't want to even give it a chance, but I do believe once we are accustomed to it, we will all like it better.  If not, it's still the right way to do things.

And I really like current events being in this thread. 

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2007, 10:18:35 AM »

Dugga,
Perhaps you could explain these kinds of things in the Musings Thread instead of in chat where many of us will not see it?

Instead of complaining that things are not working, I contend that they are.  I was led astray by two mods and a hall monitor to discuss Natalee in detail in this thread and so thought it was OK.  Cool

Dugga,  I agree completely with what you are trying to do!  So many times in the past I have had my entire line of thought just devastated by off topic right in the middle of news, big news even, and just given up trying to hold anything like a serious discussion of Natalee's disappearance.

Yes, we did lapse a bit in the last few pages but on the whole, the new format is working really well.   I hope we never go back to the chaos of before as it is totally inappropriate to have lots of things that were discussed under the heading of somebody's missing and likely deceased child.  I just won't do it as I think it is morally wrong to do that.  Same thing Greta does when saying she will have a segment about Natalee then only having a minute at the end of the program.

When people come to read about Natalee, it should be about her and only her.  All else can be here.  And it is working really well so be patient and we will learn.

Anna

I'm afraid I must disagree with you and say that it is working only for a very, very small minority of posters. I have heard from many, many people that it doesn't work for them at all. If we were to be free to discuss whatever we wanted to in this thread, and then have the mods copy substantive posts to the appropriate threads, then I think it would work for most people. Those who want to post together could be here, and those who want things very cut and dried could read the cut and dried posts in the threads where they want to read. I'm afraid if things keep going the way they are, many posters will leave.

Posting at SM is a hobby that is done in the free time of adults who can choose to spend that free time any way they want to. When the experiences at SM ceases to be rewarding for them, they will spend their free time elsewhere, IMO. You can't teach old dogs new tricks if the old dogs have moved on.

I Stand With The Girl
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #248 on: August 19, 2007, 10:18:43 AM »

Dugga,

Yes, Anna, but we knew where to find each other.

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2007, 10:24:56 AM »

Been up all night, so am going to log off before I put my foot in my mouth and hurt some of my Monkey family's feelings.

I think the family is becoming a tad dysfunctional, meaning we do come here in our free time and if it gets to difficult or multi-tasking, I agree we will loose our family Spirit and Good Works. Good night all, BBL

tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2007, 10:27:36 AM »

Well, then I think we have all drifted --- because we were told we could discuss Natalee here but if there was any concrete information to take it to the Natalee Holloway forum, and that the NH forum should be for solid news and not rehashing old things.  I am still confused, so I will just drift, drift away....this is all too confusing and I am far too old to be confused more than necessary.  Too many chiefs and not enough indians, and this old squaw is taking moccasins and walking away.
Highlighted is exactly what I remember being said.  Now, are we not to discuss ANY Natalee stuff in here?   Confused Confused Confused
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #251 on: August 19, 2007, 10:27:56 AM »

Been up all night, so am going to log off before I put my foot in my mouth and hurt some of my Monkey family's feelings.

I think the family is becoming a tad dysfunctional, meaning we do come here in our free time and if it gets to difficult or multi-tasking, I agree we will loose our family Spirit and Good Works. Good night all, BBL

I hope you get some rest IBE. I'm about to go do some dog washing myself. I hope all this gets straightened out in a way that will work for the majority of people before our monkey family becomes any more dysfunctional.  Sad

I Stand With The Girl
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #252 on: August 19, 2007, 10:27:59 AM »

IBE, if you go to the index page, it shows the last post made.  But I think many are either here or on the Natalee Thread or have a tab open to both at the same time.  Just about any browser will allow two windows open at once.

I do with we had one of those little boxes that shows the last post made.

That would help.  But it really isn't that hard if you keep open the thread you are watching plus this one.

JMO

PERSONA NON GRATA

Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2007, 10:29:26 AM »

I will lead no more monkeys astray...ever again.  I am truly sorry to have caused all the trouble last night.  My heart is broken that my discussions and only mine seem to illicit such a reaction.  I am getting tired of all this fussing and confusion.  I loved this forum because it was where Natalee was being discussed and everyone was concerned and wanted some answers.  I am the one that started the Shango talk last night. Klaas, asked me to leave and go elsewhere.  I didn't want to because I knew what would happen...I would be talking to myself again.  I am so sorry...I really am.  Let's all just drop it and carry on.  This board is about good things and hopefully we will get some answers for this family and many others. 
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #254 on: August 19, 2007, 10:30:50 AM »

IBE, if you go to the index page, it shows the last post made.  But I think many are either here or on the Natalee Thread or have a tab open to both at the same time.  Just about any browser will allow two windows open at once.

I do with we had one of those little boxes that shows the last post made.

That would help.  But it really isn't that hard if you keep open the thread you are watching plus this one.

JMO

Anna - I know from being in chat that most posters here DO keep several tabs open at once. I generally have four or five open at the same time, no matter what I'm doing on the internet. It doesn't seem to be an issue of people not knowing how to open more than one tab at a time. The issue seems to be that people want to be together in one place, not making different posts in different threads.

I Stand With The Girl
tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2007, 10:32:15 AM »

I see my Shango discussion has once again irritated a few people.  I didn't put it in Shango because...THERE WAS NOBODY IN THERE TO TALK TO. There is never anyone in there.  It's a hit and run type thread and apparently that is how it must be. Sadly, the only place to talk about anything at anytime is in chat and I am certain if I go there to do so, I will be chastised concerning that.  So would someone PLEASE GIVE ME A MAP.  I am really tired of writing myself in my own book...in fact...I think I am tossing my book and pencils as I speak. 

Morning monkeys.  Still hot and dry here with little chance of rain. 
FWIW, I don't think the conversation last night bothered anyone who was in here ~ the few of us that were  Sad.  I enjoyed the discussion, as usual.  Wink
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #256 on: August 19, 2007, 10:36:11 AM »

Anna

I'm afraid I must disagree with you and say that it is working only for a very, very small minority of posters. I have heard from many, many people that it doesn't work for them at all. If we were to be free to discuss whatever we wanted to in this thread, and then have the mods copy substantive posts to the appropriate threads, then I think it would work for most people. Those who want to post together could be here, and those who want things very cut and dried could read the cut and dried posts in the threads where they want to read. I'm afraid if things keep going the way they are, many posters will leave.

Posting at SM is a hobby that is done in the free time of adults who can choose to spend that free time any way they want to. When the experiences at SM ceases to be rewarding for them, they will spend their free time elsewhere, IMO. You can't teach old dogs new tricks if the old dogs have moved on.

BT,
The reverse side of that is all the posters who left because of the off topic chatter in what should have been the Natalee Thread.  I would venture that just as many or more people left because of that as stayed for it.

We lost many very good posters because of that before as well and I have received emails as well from them that they won't try to carry on a serious discussion under those circumstances of having it hijacked by somebody for trivial things.

Maybe some of those will even come back if they don't have to read nine pages with Natalee only being mentioned twice again.

This musings thread can be about anything anybody wants to discuss so what is so cut and dried about that?  You can't get any more loose than that except maybe in chat which you also have as an option. 

And we do have new posters being allowed to post daily and some new and fresh insight can be a good thing as well.

PERSONA NON GRATA

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #257 on: August 19, 2007, 10:36:49 AM »

"bouncing the ideas off one another" was the key; instead of a bounce now I hear a thud.

Dugga the stream of consciousness was the key... now it is too fragmented. You said you come from a bbs.. remember the old days, then?? With your C-64 and my Apple II??? Remember the flow... now an iron hand has come in and the flow is gone... fragmented and hard IMO

I couldn't even find Robots Very Happy and had to post on Musings to see where he was, if at all here somewhere.

tcumom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #258 on: August 19, 2007, 10:39:33 AM »

Well, then I think we have all drifted --- because we were told we could discuss Natalee here but if there was any concrete information to take it to the Natalee Holloway forum, and that the NH forum should be for solid news and not rehashing old things.  I am still confused, so I will just drift, drift away....this is all too confusing and I am far too old to be confused more than necessary.  Too many chiefs and not enough indians, and this old squaw is taking moccasins and walking away.

Asking if anyone else remembers this ~ Tyler states exactly what I remember being told.  Shocked Shocked

Yes, I'm posting this question again.  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2007, 10:40:03 AM »

Well, it took us awhile to get Tylergal back and now we have lost here again.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.