March 28, 2024, 04:31:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Musings on Middle Age and My First Heart Attack  (Read 8763 times)
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 05:51:41 PM »

Metro, 

So sorry you had to go through such a scary experience.  Thank goodness you came through it okay.  Best wishes for your continued health and recovery. 

Thank you for sharing this eye-opening experience with us.  It is always good to be reminded that we must remain constantly vigilant with regard to our health and habits. I am certain you prolonged a few lives by sharing your story with us!
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »

Glad to hear you have made it OK. Medicine can do a wonder of things but you are the one to heed what your body is telling you and when. Take care......slow down, and may you enjoy the many long and happy years ahead. 

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 01:24:03 AM »

Good Grief Metro! I wondered where you were lately, but I never thought in a million years about a heart attack! No wonder you haven't weighed in on the sports thread.
Not that having a heart attack is a good thing, but at least you get a chance to make some changes, and now you can live a good long life and take better care of youself from this point on..
Thanks for warning us to take better are of ourselves. Everyone gets kind of complacent about their health at times. Let everyone know how you're coming along, and don't stress over the Braves!

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Atlmetroguy
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 01:46:05 AM »

Hey Everybody...I wanted to take a moment to say thanks for all the kind words and well wishes!! I also wanted to give everybody an update on my progress...walking a lot and eating the right foods. Lowered my cholesterol from 280 to 141..gotta love those statin drugs!!

Anyway...thanks everybody!!

<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Huh?? You mean I gotta board now??
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 05:48:29 AM »

Hey Everybody...I wanted to take a moment to say thanks for all the kind words and well wishes!! I also wanted to give everybody an update on my progress...walking a lot and eating the right foods. Lowered my cholesterol from 280 to 141..gotta love those statin drugs!!

Anyway...thanks everybody!!

Hey Metro!  It's good to hear from you again.  As you can see from our posts, we all hoped you have been taking good care of yourself and your health being restored.  I'm glad you've been walking and improving your diet.  Congrats on the lowering of your cholesterol from 280 to 141 .  I hear those statin drugs are good, but in the long run, exercise and diet will carry you through.   Take care and stop in again when you can.  We miss you!

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
CJ1
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 08:39:25 PM »

That is great news.  Now don't you give in and have any food that isn't good for you.  You have made amazing progress. 
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 11:04:13 PM »

Oh Metro... I am so sorry to hear of your heartattack... and so happy to hear it was MILD>>>>

take very good care of you!! 

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2007, 07:47:42 PM »

It's good to hear from you Metro, and that's great news about your cholesterol levels. It does sound like you've been taking better care of yourself.
Thanks for the update. We all were wondering how you've been. It sounds like you're much improved! Keep up the good work, and check in when you can!

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 08:53:44 AM »

I am glad to hear you are doing well.  Please do change your life style.  I know what I am writing about since my first was when I was 49.  It was pretty much stress induced although my diet was not the best in the world.  I did change the diet but continued to work very long hours.  I was the person in my family who was always the one my children and relatives came to, to help solve problems.  I worked in a very high crisis driving atmosphere both at work and at home.  This did not change after the heart attack and I ended up in "by-pass" six years later. 

I found that it was necessary to let go of many many things.  I needed to change my life or die.  I am no longer the solution to the problems of others.  I often say no.  I retired because I could even though I could have waited for a higher benefit package that would have done me no good from the grave. 

I now enjoy traveling, my grandkids, and most of all my freedom from pressures of life.  I do a great deal of volunteer work, but only when I feel like it.  I do not work under deadlines.  I support my children as much as possible, but I now point them to where to find the solutions to their problems rather than take care of it myself. 

I suppose you could call me selfish and self centered, however, after decades of solving the problems and serving others I have decided to serve myself and enjoy what life I have left.  I divorced soon after my open heart surgery 10 years ago and I can not believe the change it has made in my life.  I don't believe I have lost my temper in over 8 years now.  I don't raise my voice and have dropped the competitive attitude.  If others wish to be "right" I let them.  I just walk away from arguments and confrontations.  Nothing is worth the price of dying.  We speak of that when we are younger, but as age progresses it becomes more than just a "saying."

I truly hope you will be able to get out the the pressure cooker of life.  There is a time when each person needs to let someone else worry about and handle the problems.

good luck.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 11:55:18 AM »

Metro...listen to the owl....he is wise...!!! 

Mere

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2007, 03:35:54 PM »

Great work Metro! Record setting improvement! Keep up the good work. Are you still on sabbatical? .......it seems to be agreeing with you if so.  Very Happy

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
Atlmetroguy
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 01:11:55 AM »

Hello Monkey's....

Salute from San Francisco..."The City by the Bay" as someone very dear to me refers to S.F.

Well the one year anniversary of my cardiac event (as my cardiologist calls it) fast approaches and I have logged onto to SM for the first time in a while I thought it would be good to update you all with my progress and what I have learned this past year.

What I have learned:

1. I'm not 20 anymore...dammit!!
2. I actually feel better when I eat fish or chicken and steamed vegetables as opposed to steak and potatoes.
3. Coronary Artery Disease is hereditary and you can manage it with diet, exercise and a some drug therapy.
4. I have not smoked a cigarette since April 2, 2007 and I am so glad I quit and have no desire to smoke again.
5. Tim Russert's passing scared the crap out of me, cholesterol built up in the walls of his artery's and then ruptured causing sudden blockage then death.
6. Life is damned short, don't waste any time and do all you can and love all you can.
7. Same as number 6 above but applied to family and friends.
8. I have a lot more grey hair than I id a year ago or 3 years ago when I stumbled onto SM looking for answers in the Natalee Holloway situation.
9. I have missed taking time to log in here and keep up with you all, of which I am trying to do a better job.
10. Sometimes when you eat certain foods, they will give you gas that feels like a cardiac event but it's just gas.
11. I moved of a Windows laptop to a Mac Powerbook and I'll never pay the "Bill Gates Tax" ever again!!

So, that's just a few observations tonight. My original advice stays they same, get your cholesterol checked, manage it, exercise, eat right and de-stress as often as possible. And NO SMOKING!!!!

Cheers Monkey's.....

Peace!!!!

metro...out....

<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Huh?? You mean I gotta board now??
BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 10:13:46 PM »

Metro!

It's so darned good to see you! 

I was looking for an address in my email address book today, and saw your email addy there, and wondered how you were doing. I'm glad to know that you haven't had anymore health scares and that you're doing so well. Keep up the good work!

I Stand With The Girl
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2008, 07:00:27 PM »

Metro! Hey there!

It's so good to see you here again! We're all glad to hear that you have regained your health, and that you quit smoking! 

I hope you'll also join us on the football thread again, especially when the season starts. We have so much fun! We'd love to have you post there too. But please just post now and again, anywhere, and let us know how you are.

Tim Russert's death was a real blow to this country, because he was one of the few trustworthy journalists we had left. I wish he'd taken better care of himself.

SunFreak2
Monkey Junky

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2008, 09:57:40 PM »

Metro, glad you are OK, now.  Let's get together neighbor, when you are in town again. javascript:void(0);
javascript:void(0);
Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2008, 10:01:41 PM »

Hey Metro!  Good to see you again.  I am glad your are doing better and those observations of yours are rather interesting.  We should pay more attention to them ourselves. Stop in more often.
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2008, 10:03:54 PM »

Good to see you well metro!  Continued good health to you, and you have given us all good advice!
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2008, 03:26:51 AM »

Hi Metro - great to see you are taking better care of yourself and I hope everyone reads and heeds your list.
We can all relate to item 1, and items 6 and 7 are worth remembering every day.
Keep up the good work and check back as often as you can.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 09:08:30 PM »

Metro, good to hear from you again.  I am happy to hear you have found that life doesn't end.  It merely changes.  Medical science is such these days that we are fortunate to be able to live very comfortably with CAD.  We can not change what we did to ourselves in early life, but we certainly can live a happy and productive life when we manage it properly.

Keep up the good work.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2008, 07:44:47 PM »

Hi Metro    It's good to "see" you again!   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.