April 24, 2024, 01:31:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement Regarding Scared Monkeys Chat  (Read 10269 times)
Dugga
Administrator
Scared Monkey

« on: August 21, 2007, 11:50:21 PM »

I wanted to let everyone know in advance that we're going to be closing down chat because of some technical issues that the chat system has created.

We all know that the chat that's been in test mode for the past few weeks has had some major glitches. And while some have found it usable, a lot of people just can't get in or get it to work properly. When you add to this the fact that the chat system that's currently in test is a MAJOR resource hog which will bog down the server's resources with just a handfull of users, it all points to the need to drop it from the system.

With the approval of so many new users to the system, a chat board like the one that was in place posed a serious liability to the server's resources. The system that's currently in place is completely unsuitable for a large-scale deployment. Keeping it online was a liability to the security and integrity of our servers.

So, I wanted to let everyone know that we'll be closing down the chat room on Wednesday morning. Everything that was previously discussed in chat can now be done exactly the same way in the Monkey Musings / Open Discussion area. Same discussion as always - just back in the forums now instead of a chat room.

Thanks.

edit: corrected typos
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:33:45 AM by Dugga » Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:03:28 AM »

Thanks Dugga.  Yes I could tell when the chat room was really busy the whole site would slow down.

So might we look into a different chat software in the future?
Dugga
Administrator
Scared Monkey

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:11:10 AM »

Thanks Dugga.  Yes I could tell when the chat room was really busy the whole site would slow down.

It is hard to say. There's nothing else out there on the market that allows us to so tightly integrate chat with the forums the way this one does. The chat systems that are less intensive that wouldn't harm our server resources all pose problems of their own with things like privacy and security issues. They are also very difficult to moderate. So, quite frankly, I wouldn't be too optimistic about that at the moment. Considering the very special needs of the Monkey Cage in reference to privacy and security, the only option would be for me to homebrew something and write a custom chat server from scratch myself, which I can promise ain't gonna happen. Not until there are 500 hours in a day! Wink
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:13:22 AM »

It is hard to say. There's nothing else out there on the market that allows us to so tightly integrate chat with the forums the way this one does. The chat systems that are less intensive that wouldn't harm our server resources all pose problems of their own with things like privacy and security issues. They are also very difficult to moderate. So, quite frankly, I wouldn't be too optimistic about that at the moment. Considering the very special needs of the Monkey Cage in reference to privacy and security, the only option would be for me to homebrew something and write a custom chat server from scratch myself, which I can promise ain't gonna happen. Not until there are 500 hours in a day! Wink

Well it won't bother me one bit.  I'm sure some will miss it but I completely understand the situation with the resources on the server.

Nope, I haven't found a day yet with more than 24 hours.  Laughing
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 07:37:08 AM »

Chat had become a very popular feature at SM and it will be missed.
Tiger
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 10:41:56 AM »

YES,BUT A FORUM IS NOT THE SAME
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 11:12:50 AM »

I'm sad to see chat go by the wayside.

THe nice thing about the chat was the "privacy".
I am sure if musings could be private..ie. members post and view only..it would have the same allure as the chat.
Its rather inhibiting to post anywhere knowing that your posts can be copied and pasted all over the internet darkside forums.
Makes one not want to say much except "How is the weather"?
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 11:13:14 AM »

I know it was very popular.  Unfortunately it was that popularity with so many in the chat room that was dragging the server.  I noticed alot of problems in the forum when there were alot of people in the chat room.  It's really too bad that chat software was such a resource hog. 

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 11:14:03 AM »

I am sure if musings could be private..ie. members post and view only..it would have the same allure as the chat.
Its rather inhibiting to post anywhere knowing that your posts can be copied and pasted all over the internet darkside forums.

Ah, excellent idea! 
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 11:16:03 AM »

Ah, excellent idea! 

THanks, Klaas. Wonder if it would be possible to do this?
Auntiem
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 11:27:51 AM »

Hope so, Klaas and Art...I just got to know Art last nite..  You're such a nice guy, I enjoyed talking to you.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 11:34:21 AM »

Hope so, Klaas and Art...I just got to know Art last nite..  You're such a nice guy, I enjoyed talking to you.

uhhhh, Artcolley is a she  Wink Laughing
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 11:36:01 AM »

Ah, excellent idea! 

I'm pretty sure it's possible.  I've sent your suggestion to Red and Dugga although I know Dugga has already seen it here, lol  Laughing

I'm thinking MEMBERS ONLY LOUNGE  Wink
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 11:53:12 AM »

I know it was very popular.  Unfortunately it was that popularity with so many in the chat room that was dragging the server.  I noticed alot of problems in the forum when there were alot of people in the chat room.  It's really too bad that chat software was such a resource hog. 

Is BFN more cutting edge than SM?  Wink
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 12:27:58 PM »

Ah, excellent idea! 

I'm pretty sure it's possible.  I've sent your suggestion to Red and Dugga although I know Dugga has already seen it here, lol  Laughing

I'm thinking MEMBERS ONLY LOUNGE  Wink

Yup! Sounds good to me!!!! Very Happy
Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 12:29:11 PM »

Auntieem..thanks!!! But, Klaas is right. I am a "she"!  Laughing
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 12:38:51 PM »

I it would be great if we could at least test drive a "member's only lounge"

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
ospainter
Monkey Junky

Grandson in Ireland

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 01:03:47 PM »

Hi everyone,

Muffy and Artcolley

I agree a private community topic would be great, it was nice talking to everyone in chat and not worrying that what I said would be copied for the world to see.

I enjoyed getting to know everyone.

OS

It's their lie they can tell it anyway they want.
Who, What, Where, When, How and Why
NYC_lover
Monkey Junky Jr.

The Mercedes GL

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 02:44:59 PM »

Hi all,

Well, it is sad that we lost the chatroom. I like this room.
But we have now, no chatroom more, and is there come on back?
And is there come pm programm also? That we can pm somebody.

I am glad hear this media attention from the Netherlands. ‘Recherche verdraait informatie te vaak’
Investigators in a black breach and again a bad name of the Dutch police. It smells again to Corrpution and a negative researching in missing persons cases
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 03:22:44 PM »

Is BFN more cutting edge than SM?  Wink

EASY - the chat at BFN is not secure.  Anyone can have a non-secure chat room that anyone can sign in under any name.  I'm not sure SM wants to have another issue like we did with our old chat being hacked.
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.