April 28, 2024, 01:17:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musing Daily Open Discussion #3 8/24 - 8/29/2007  (Read 204328 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2007, 12:34:11 AM »

First update on TES search in Ohio!  Sorry if it's wordy and hope it makes sense.  Very tired here ...

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=2074.new#new

Thanks Dihannah!  Going to read it now!
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2007, 12:38:37 AM »

Wow... it worked. Anna I will email you, Sure isn't much water to find here, other than the ocean. The LA river is all cement; the local creek is all cement.

There is a very pretty "lake" in Kenneth Hahn State Regional Park.. you and I would call it a pond. Has ducks, a goose, tern, catfish, Russian ladies, older couples, moms with children, people with dogs and fishermen, surrounded on one side by the oilwells, and pumps that are in Culver City, I think and the other side is LA with homes.

I have been there exploring twice. Has info center, Japanese garden with the largest lotus I have ever seen. They we continued up the "wilderness trail" and found a waterfall. I stuck my feet in there, as I missed doing anything illegal in the 60's.

Found out at my age.. the camera catches everything. :roll:The view was great... from Century City to almost to Hollywood. If I'd cont. on around the "mountain" I probably could see Hollywood, but we (my neighbor who I tease about "riding shotgun") doesn't like heat.

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2007, 12:55:32 AM »

HELLO!!!! Where is everybody???
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2007, 01:12:28 AM »

HELLO!!!! Where is everybody???

I'm here CBB but I'm trying to search for info on the Donna Jou case  Wink
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2007, 01:13:41 AM »

It is raining all around me but so far nothing right here but I am very hopeful.  Any will help.  The grass is not only dead, it is totally gone from huge sections.

So while we have had thunder and lightening without any rain before, I am watching radar and checking outside and hopeful that we will get at least a little rain.  It is raining in Huntsville.  Now if it will just come east a little bit to us here, we will be in business.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2007, 01:18:38 AM »

It is raining all around me but so far nothing right here but I am very hopeful.  Any will help.  The grass is not only dead, it is totally gone from huge sections.

So while we have had thunder and lightening without any rain before, I am watching radar and checking outside and hopeful that we will get at least a little rain.  It is raining in Huntsville.  Now if it will just come east a little bit to us here, we will be in business.

Anna - I hope you get some rain soon.  I did check the weather in Alabama today and it looks like alot of thunderstorms on and off through next week.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get rain but not so much that you flood!!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2007, 01:27:19 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294437,00.html

N.J. Teen Unlocks Apple's iPhone
Friday , August 24, 2007

By Paul Wagenseil
NEW YORK —

Friday was not a good day for AT&T Wireless.

Three separate hacks that fully unlock the Apple iPhone from AT&T surfaced, two of them claiming to be software-only.

Best documented was a hack by George Hotz, 17, of Glen Rock, N.J.

With a little soldering, a lot of command-line computing and about two hours of time, Hotz was able to switch an iPhone over to T-Mobile, which he documented in detail in a YouTube video and on his blog.

The iPhone runs on GSM networks, which only T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless run in the U.S. Sprint and Verizon Wireless use the incompatible CDMA standard.

FOXNews.com ambushed Hotz as he was walking down New York's Sixth Avenue, having just finished a brief interview with FOX News Channel's Shepard Smith.

Hotz was talking into a hacked iPhone as we caught up to him, and seemed remarkably nonchalant about his achievement.

"It'll make me a little more famous when I get to college, I guess," he said.

He showed it to us, and sure enough, there were the words "T-Mobile" in the upper left corner of the screen.

Hotz collaborated online with four other people, two of them in Russia, to develop the unlocking process.

"Then there are two guys who I think are somewhere U.S.-side," Hotz said.

He knows them only by their online handles.

Hotz is selling one hacked iPhone on eBay, mostly to recoup costs from his summer-long project. Another hacker donated an iPhone to experiment with, which is now a mess of parts and wires, and Hotz needs to buy him a new one. Hotz is keeping a third.

• Click here to bid on the unlocked iPhone on eBay (auction ends Aug. 30).

As of 5 p.m. EDT Friday, bidding was over $4,500.

Other than that, however, Hotz is not seeking any compensation for unlocking the iPhone.

He has posted detailed instructions on how to do it on his blog, and hopes other hackers can streamline and improve his method so that less-tech-savvy iPhone owners can unlock theirs as well.

"I have zero plans to hack any more iPhones," he told Smith. "This will be the last one I sell."

• Click here for Hotz's blog.

AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel and Apple spokeswoman Jennifer Bowcock said their companies had no comment.

Hotz said the companies had not been in touch with him.

The AP's Peter Svensson was able to verify that the unlocked iPhone Hotz brought to the AP's headquarters on Friday was unlocked.

Hotz placed the reporter's T-Mobile Subscriber Identity Module card, the small chip that identifies a phone to a GSM network, in the iPhone. It then connected to T-Mobile's network and placed calls using Svensson's account

The people behind the two alleged software hacks, one of which was well documented by tech blog Engadget, are slightly less noble. They're charging money for it.

Engadget tested out a phone provided by www.iphonesimfree.com, and confirmed it worked with T-Mobile. A video showed an Engadget blogger popping a T-Mobile SIM card in and out of a phone, then making a call with it.

• Click here for the Engadget video and review of its unlocked iPhone.

The iPhoneSimFree people won't say how much they're charging for the software, or whether the iPhones have to be sent in to them physically to be unlocked.

Another outfit, Belfast, Northern Ireland-based Uniquephones, says it will be selling a downloadable software unlock beginning Saturday at www.iphoneunlocking.com. Pricing will be between $25 and $50, according to Engadget.

"That's exactly, like, what I don't want," Hotz told the AP. "I don't want people making money off this."

Both the documented hacks leave intact the iPhone's many functions, including a built-in camera and the ability to access Wi-Fi networks.

The only thing that won't work is the "visual voicemail" feature from AT&T Wireless, which shows voice messages as if they were incoming e-mail.

Apple may be able to counter the hacks, either with a software patch downloadable through iTunes or with physical changes on the iPhone production line.

Although even hacked iPhones have to be bought from Apple, the company is reportedly getting a cut of the monthly subscription fees from AT&T.

In case you were wondering: Yes, this is all legal, at least in the United States.

Late last year, the Library of Congress ruled that under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, modifying a cell phone so that it runs on a network other than the one it was sold on is not a crime.

Still, since everyone who's bought an iPhone needs to pay a $175 termination fee to AT&T Wireless to break their two-year contracts, any savings achieved by switching U.S. carriers might not be that much.

The real market for unlocked iPhones is in Europe, where the iPhone is not scheduled to be on sale until sometime this fall, and in the rest of the world, which with the exception of South Africa won't see it until next year.

"That's the big thing," Hotz told the Associated Press in a phone interview from his home Friday.

The iPhone's quad-band GSM circuitry ensures that it'll work in almost any country, with any carrier — once it's unlocked.

The iPhone was already made to work overseas using special equipment that hacks the SIM card, the small removable chip containing user and network data every GSM phone needs to operate.

The SIM-chip method doesn't need any soldering, but it doesn't unlock the phone — each new SIM chip has to be reprogrammed for use on a particular iPhone.

"Some of my friends think I wasted my summer but I think it was worth it," Hotz told The Record of Bergen County, which reported his hack Friday.

Hotz heads for college on Saturday. He plans to major in neuroscience — or "hacking the brain!" as he put it to the newspaper — at the Rochester Institute of Technology.

Check out how high the bidding has gone on the hacked iPhone now, LOL  Laughing

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2007, 01:51:25 AM »

Klaas,
What does all that mean about the Iphone?  One can use it anywhere even without service?  I don't really understand what it means to unlock one.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2007, 01:54:19 AM »

Klaas,
What does all that mean about the Iphone?  One can use it anywhere even without service?  I don't really understand what it means to unlock one.

As sold, the iPhone can only be used with AT&T service.  This KID has "unlocked" the code and figured out how to make it work with any service (T-Mobile, Sprint, etc).  It's a BIG deal for AT&T and Apple.  Alot of people like the iPhone but don't want to switch their cellphone company to AT&T.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2007, 01:58:24 AM »

Aahhhh, I see.  Thanks.  I did not know the Iphone could only be used with AT&T. 

PERSONA NON GRATA

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2007, 02:01:51 AM »

Aahhhh, I see.  Thanks.  I did not know the Iphone could only be used with AT&T. 

I did happen to see an iPhone up close and personal tonight and they are very cool.  It will be a couple years before I get one though and by then something new will be out, LOL
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2007, 02:02:38 AM »

Time for me to go play a couple game and call it a night!

GOODNIGHT ALL!
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2007, 02:06:43 AM »

Fridays are very busy for me.  Some of us meet at a local restaurant, very casual just whomever can show up does.

Tonight the talk was how in Tennessee some town are refusing to let the farmers use the commercial water supply as they are afraid of running out of water for people.  In this area it was just a few years ago we even had commercial water available and all of us were urged to close down our wells and participate which we did.  So I hope this doesn't happen here as well.

Also I watch Monk and House, about the only TV programs I really like and both are on Friday.  Add to that the heat, and well, Fridays not much out of me as far as posting.

Was hoping to catch Carnut in the cage to find out what the movies look like for the weekend, however.  I know Lord of the Rings is showing all three but not sure I want to watch that at all. 

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2007, 02:09:43 AM »

Also there is a very light rain falling but enough to create runoff from the roof, etc. so it is a real rain if ever so light.  If it were not dark outside, I would go out and enjoy walking in it.  Wonderful and hope it rains all night long but it won't.  Maybe it will be enough to revive the grass, anything is more than welcomed.

Goodnight, any remaining Monkeys.

PERSONA NON GRATA

IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2007, 02:56:05 AM »

Anna you mentioned that perverts like water. Water is hard to find in most part of LA and the 88 cities in and around them... Probably have more water in Orange County and San Diego County... LA County has some lakes

Mention that I went to Kenneh Hahn State Regional Park at the top of a small mountain La Cienega Blvd. is the Blvd that seperates that and th orl fields/wells in Culver City.

Very nice part.. I told you abound the lake a few threads back. Here is picture of a huge lotus flower just for you with all that water; you always bring nice pictures to us

and then  we walked up the hill/called a mountain in Culver City History books and found a nice, place where no one was, so i took off my socks and shoes and put my fee into the cool water on such a hot day.

Seemed that I missed doing illegal things like that in the 60's as I was a wife of a Viet Nam Air Force Maj. and was a teacher. So that desire has been done.

You could see from Century City on the left (west) to almost Hollywood on the east. If I had taken one of those wilderness trails up and around the mountain I would have seen more.

Lots of people have gone to this part... I just never had reason to go until recently. After class tomorrow I will email you the rest,.

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2007, 03:04:02 AM »

Klaas I am reading to get the maps, pictures and narration on the  Donna  Jou Thread... Thanks for the encouragement, the mentoring and the knowledge.. this is fun!!! and Somehow the pictures look clearer and larger... Was Dugga using his magic again?

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2007, 07:30:44 AM »

This news reporter is too funny. Laughing Laughing

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/id/538229484
oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2007, 09:59:11 AM »

This news reporter is too funny. Laughing Laughing

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/id/538229484

Laughing Laughing  he can move...

It is NOT over !!! If you believe good prevails and that the truth comes forward then justice will be handed out.  I want answers!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2007, 10:13:24 AM »

Hot Air Balloon Crash in Canada Injures 11
Saturday, August 25, 2007

SURREY, British Columbia —  A hot air balloon caught fire and crashed in a trailer park and campground Friday evening, injuring as many as 11 people, police and local reports said. Two other people were unaccounted for.

The cause of the accident wasn't known; weather conditions were clear at the time of the sunset flight. CTV television reported that the crash caused at least three 40-foot trailer homes to catch fire, though nobody was hurt in those blazes.

The balloon's basket burst into flames shortly after takeoff, when it was about 25 feet off the ground, according to CTV. Witnesses said passengers screamed and jumped to the ground. The balloon reportedly took off from a grassy field with 12 passengers.

People who had been riding in the balloon suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries and were taken to hospitals in the nearby Vancouver area, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt. Roger Morrow said in a statement.

Fifteen ambulances, two air ambulances and eight fire trucks raced to the scene at Hazelmere Trailer Park, he said. Smoke could be seen billowing from the crash site from miles away, according to CTV.

http://www.foxnews.com/photoessay/0,4644,2254,00.html#2_0

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2007, 10:23:27 AM »

TOMORROW IS CATURDAY!!!

Goodmorning!  How is everyone this fine Caturday? 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.