April 27, 2024, 03:12:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ving Rhames' Dogs  (Read 3723 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: August 05, 2007, 12:33:39 AM »

I find this story fascinating.

His dogs are bull mastiffs which are classified as working dogs but are mostly used as guard dogs. They are fearless and confident yet docile. The dog combines the reliability, intelligence, and willingness to please required in a dependable family companion and protector.

I'm interested because my daughter's significant other has five mastiffs who freely roam the huge property but don't go in the house. They are huge and powerful and any stranger trying to intrude who comes face to face with one of these dogs would automatically run away from them. There are grounds keepers and a guard and also someone who supervises and feeds the dogs.

My daughter said they are very sweet and gentle but they scare me to death. She tried to introduce me to one of them named Wendy but I didn't like her.

Once he took one of the dogs with him on tour and left it in the hotel room and forgot to turn on the AC. The dog got so hot it bolted out through the third story window and fell to it's death. On the way home from the tour, he stopped at a breeder in MN and purchased a new puppy.

None of his dogs have ever done anything wrong. They accepted me and my grandsons with no problem and my grandsons were not scared and laughed at all the drooly licks.

One thing I hate is the drooling and they drool big time. If you pet them, you will have to go take a shower. I can endure the drool of Labs but not Mastiffs.

Ving Rhames's dogs acted out of character in my opinion. I can't imagine the dogs attacked the caretaker for no reason. There is speculation the caretaker had a heart attack. If so, perhaps the dogs were licking him and trying to revive him but it got out of hand.

Twice in the past, I have fallen down drunk in my apartment and when I woke up my lips were raw. My cats tried to revive me. I have heard of situations wherein the owner died and the cats ate the owner's mouth in an attempt to revive.

Any thoughts on this breed or on the situation?

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 07:59:03 PM »

Louise,
I agree with you. Mastiffs are not normally visious dogs. It depends on the owner or caretaker of the dogs( as with any dog ). Do you know if they took the English Bulldog away too? I can not see an English Bulldog harming anyone. Heck a two year old could out run one.

2 4 1
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 09:32:19 PM »

Yes, they took the English Bulldog, too.

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 01:27:47 PM »

I've only known one Bull Mastiff -- and I loved her so much that I would volunteer to take care of her when her mom and dad would go away.

Her name was Lola. And she was always fashionably attired with a red bandana around her neck.

The kindest and gentlest BIG dog I have ever come to love.

My DH was not a fan of the 'drool' -- but I would always visit dressed appropriately for a play date with a mastiff. (and an immediate shower upon returning to my home Wink)

I missed the phone call inviting me to the big party the nite before they had to put Lola down. They wanted to send Lola off with all the love and hugs she deserved -- and they recognized 'our' special relationship as I was Lola's favorite babysitter. The vets recommendation had come even though we were praying for another solution.

I still smile when I think of Lola. And I still cry when I think of Lola.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 01:58:49 PM »

Update:
August 11, 2007
Toronto Actor Identified In Ving Rhames Tragedy
http://torontoist.com/2007/08/toronto_actor_i.php
Since then, an autopsy has determined that Adams did not die as a result of the bites, which were superficial and were allegedly incurred by the dogs pulling on him. Previous reports of a heart attack have also since been discounted, and Adams was found to have been perfectly healthy.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 10:26:01 PM »

So now we have a mystery on our hands.

Sleeks
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 11:47:31 PM »

Chiming in here fellow monkeys, being a dog lover, I could not help but to butt in - so to speak.  I only ever knew one Mastiff, he was GIGANTIC!!! He had the head the size of a basketball, but basically was the sweetest most gentle giant anyone could go near.  In fact the owners kids, (who were all three times smaller than the dog) would take him for a walk every day.  I used to be horrified of that because the dog could have pulled all three of them from the east coast to the west coast.  And we all know how animals are, if they see something or hear something - they're gone.  But again, the dog just went with those kids, and I never knew of any problems.

I do however think, with any breed one does have to be educated.  They are still animals and there really is no guarantee.   I happen to have an English Springer Spaniel myself.  He is a love bug.  But there is a Boxer who lives down the street that he absolutely (for whatever reason) HATES WITH A PASSION.  The funny thing is, the Boxer is twice his size.  My guy, doesn't care in the least.  He just wants to rip his head off.  So I know I cannot trust him with that particular dog.  Well the same holds true for people.  There are going to be some people that any particular dog may just not like. 

2 + 2 Is Always 4 !!!

Any More Questions???
Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 06:36:10 AM »

I've met two Mastiffs up close and personal.  They are lovely dogs.  The drool is a bit overwhelming even for a girl with basset hounds!  Very protective.  I would imagine the dogs sensed this man was in trouble and were trying to take him to safety...ergo, what appeared to be bite marks.  I love their size and protective nature.  My friend who had two was not afraid to be in her own house at night in LA.  Nice six foot wooden fence in back.  If anyone came to the fence, the dogs just stood up and looked over into the face of whoever it was.  Not a lotta visitors. 

I didn't find them scary in the least.  If they are in use as protection animals, I'm sure their disposition has been tested prior to any and all training that would be involved. 

I hope the dogs get to go back home.  That bulldog looked pretty hungry..... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes .   

Can you tell I'm on the side of the dogs here?

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 06:47:31 PM »

Possible aneurysm killed man at Rhames' home

Updated Mon. Aug. 20 2007 3:45 PM ET

Canadian Press

TORONTO -- A Canadian who was found dead earlier this month outside the home of actor Ving Rhames may have suffered an aneurysm, the star says.

"There was such a lack of blood at the scene," Rhames told People magazine. "They think possibly an aneurysm in the brain."

Jacob Adams, 40, was found dead at Rhames's Los Angeles home on Aug. 3 -- his chest, arms and legs covered in dog bites.

He was hired by the "Mission: Impossible" co-star to care for his four dogs - three hulking mastiffs and an English bulldog - after the two became friends on a Toronto movie set.

The Los Angeles coroner's office says it will be weeks before they receive toxicology results that may show what happened in the hours before Adams's body was discovered by police.

A memorial service was held for Adams -- who was also an actor and screenwriter -- over the weekend in Mississauga, Ont.

Rhames told People he wanted to "set the record straight" about the death, adding that Adams was more like "a member of the family" than "a caretaker."

Rhames noted that Adams didn't have any bites on his face or neck, but had "scratches to the middle of his torso as if the dogs were trying to pull him over."

Police have suggested the dogs may have sensed Adams was in trouble and tried to pull him toward the house.

Rhames told People that his friend's death is "surrealistic."

http://tinyurl.com/27bzks

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.