April 18, 2024, 01:12:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Castro  (Read 2762 times)
Tiger
Monkey Junky

« on: August 24, 2007, 05:15:38 PM »

It has been reported in Sweden and Finland that Castro is dead.Cuba Libre
Dugga
Administrator
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 07:09:34 PM »

Cuban cigars for everyone!
Tiger
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »

and a Cuba Libre.I only have one Cuban Cigar left,and I will smoke ,it at 12:00 when the news becomes offical.Arroz con Pollo on the house here
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 07:11:22 AM »

Trying to get some updates this morning -- so far, I've not heard 'confirmation'.

Dancing in the streets in 'little havana' section of Miami last night....but this would not be the first 'false alarm'. They celebrate at just the thought of the dictator's death Smile

The cruise lines have all been 'poised' for the past 15 years for the eventual opening of the port and beaches...

But I'm more concerned with the potential 'successor' -- be it brother Raul or someone else -- and WHY anyone thinks it will be better.  Confused

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 07:17:02 AM »

http://www.miamiherald.com/top_stories/story/214783.html

FIDEL CASTRO
Castro death rumors crop up again
For the third week in a row, rumors of Fidel Castro's death spread across South Florida.
Posted on Sat, Aug. 25, 2007

BY LYDIA MARTIN
lmartin@MiamiHerald.com

Complete coverage on Cuba

The rumors heated up again Friday for the third week in a row: Fidel Castro's death would be announced, first at 2 p.m., then at 4, then at 5.

In the year since the Cuban government announced Castro had ceded power to brother Raúl following intestinal surgery, rumors he's on his deathbed keep boiling over and dying down, creating a roller coaster of emotion for exiles and islanders.

Tearful callers told Ninoska Pérez of Radio Mambí they were sure this was it, and Pérez, as usual, said, ``The moment will come, but this is not the moment.''

At Aaction Home Health in Hialeah, office workers were abuzz because one heard that people in Havana were taking to the streets in anticipation of the news. At the University of Miami, media relations officers worked the phones in search of confirmation. And celebrity blogger Perez Hilton posted an entry insisting Castro was dead.

FALSE ALARM

Friday's round of rumors, like those before them, didn't seem to be panning out.

Castro has written several recent newspaper columns, but he has not been seen in public in more than a year. For many, waiting for proof of his demise resembles the low-grade anxiety of bracing for a hurricane that may or may not hit. Even though it seems clear there won't be any real change on the island immediately after Castro's death, the exile community is preparing for something big nonetheless.

The rumors reached fever pitch last weekend. Calls flooded Miami Mayor Manny Diaz's office. UM's Cuba experts were on high alert. The community started rumbling anew, parents reaching out to children, friends calling friends.

''Last Friday, when the rumors started again, my phone rang off the hook,'' says Andy Gomez, senior fellow at UM's Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies. ``It was everybody. Friends, family, the State Department. People went nuts. ''

Another false alarm. Which, in an ironic way, was a relief to many who yearn for the end of Castro but know they'll have to put their lives on hold to deal with it.

'Every time I buy a plane ticket to go somewhere with my family, I always say, `If Fidel doesn't die,' '' says Maria Elvira Salazar, host of WSBS-SBS 22's talk show Polos Opuestos (Opposite Poles).

``In a way, this is going to be like Hurricane Andrew times 10. We don't know what's going to happen, besides the idea that there will be a Pharaonic funeral. But we know when he dies, everything will revolve around his death. [Mega TV will] be on 24-7 for God knows how many days.''

Many South Florida Cubans jokingly say they hope Castro will make it through another weekend.

'I did say last week, `If he's going to die, let him do it on a Monday,' '' says Bárbara Gutiérrez, a media relations officer at the University of Miami and former editor at El Nuevo Herald.

'When the new rumors started, I felt like, `Oh no. Here we go.' Because when this happens, it won't be just dealing with work. It'll be dealing with my mother, who will want to go out and celebrate.

``It will be dealing with my own feelings. It will be dealing with the fact that in my family there are a lot of older people who we will have to be careful with, because the emotion of it all could make them sick.''

For now, though, the older generation in particular is coping, says Radio Mambí's Armando Perez Roura, a longtime Cuban radio personality who has been poised to break the news of Castro's demise for decades.

''This is definitely the calm before the storm,'' Perez Roura says.

After all, he says, it was a younger, more recently arrived Cuban crowd that jumped the gun and swarmed Calle Ocho to celebrate Castro's death when news of his ceding power broke at the end of July last year.

''The rest of us have spent a lot of years in this process,'' Perez Roura says. ``Waiting for something to happen, hearing rumors that never turn out to be true. We're not going to react until we know for sure.''

''Both in Cuba and in exile, you can breathe a very tense calm,'' says Ramon Colas, who helped start Bibliotecas Independientes (Independent Libraries) in Cuba and left the island in 2001.

He now runs a Cuba race-relations project in Mississippi but still has regular exchanges with people on the island.

STAYING CALM

'Everybody is waiting to be able to say with certainty, `El viejo se fue' [the old man is gone], but we know how much the Cuban government manipulates the truth. We know they can be the ones to launch rumors that he is dead in the first place, just to gauge our reaction. So we stay guarded.''

That emotional limbo can be damaging, says Dr. Julio Licinio, chairman of UM's psychiatry department.

``With Castro, there is nothing concrete. He keeps lingering. When something is unresolved, it makes you emotionally unsettled.''

Which is why Sonia del Corral was glad that her father, Victor del Corral, founder of the famed Victor's Café in New York, died when he did.

'It might seem weird to say, but my father was fine when he heard that Fidel was sick and had ceded power to Raúl. The next day he had a heart attack and slipped into a coma. So he died thinking Cuba was about to be free. He didn't have to stick around for another year of the waiting game and then maybe not outlive Castro. I'm happy that he was able to say to me, `Ya, hija, ya.' '' (It's over, daughter, it's over.)

Oscar Haza, host of WJAN-America TeVe Channel 41's popular A Mano Limpia (The Gloves Are Off) hears the anxiety in the voices of viewers who call in to check on the rumors.

Knowing how desperate the Cuban exile community is for confirmation of Castro's death, Haza has tried to find a way to calm folks people whenever new rumors get them riled.

'I say, `Don't pay attention to all the rumors. When you tune in and you hear me say `Ya,' you will know that means 'Ya.' ''

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 07:52:39 AM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20430710/

Rumors that Castro has died excite Miami

Updated: 9:00 p.m. ET Aug 24, 2007

MIAMI - The official word in Cuba is that Castro is still very much alive — but you’d never know that on the streets of Miami.

Premature rumors of Castro’s death are a staple in this heavily Cuban-exile city. But their frequency has intensified in recent days after his 81st birthday came and went Aug. 13 with neither pictures, letters nor recordings from him.

Friday, the rumors were pushed into overdrive by a meeting of local officials to go over their plans for when Castro really dies and a road closure in the Florida Keys that was actually due to a police standoff.

A circular game ensued with radio stations reporting the rumors, citing TV stations, which cited the rumors on the street.

Sandra Avila, an executive at a design firm in Miami’s Coconut Grove neighborhood, said clients and vendors called all day asking about the rumors.

“I’ve heard the rumors before, but there’s a different feeling this time, like this time it’s real,” she said.

The rumor mill took off a year ago when the Cuban leader announced he would turn power over to his brother Raul because of an intestinal illness. Since then, Castro, who has ruled Cuba for nearly 48 years, has not been seen in public.

Even celebrity blogger Perez Hilton, a Cuban-American who normally deals with Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton, jumped into the fray Friday, writing that sources were saying the Miami police were poised to announce Castro’s death.

Never mind the question of why the Miami police department and not the Havana government or, at least, the U.S. State Department would let the world know.

Little information on condition
In Cuba, officials remained tightlipped about Castro’s condition.

“Fidel is doing very well and is disciplined in his recovery process,” Cuban foreign Minister Felipe Perez Roque told reporters in Brazil on Thursday. Perez Roque insisted Castro maintains “permanent” contact with members of the government party in Cuba.

On official Cuban television, there was no hint of trouble Friday. A rerun of the hit NBC series “Friends” played late in the afternoon.

To steal a title from Nobel prize-winning Colombian author and Castro friend, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, the last two weeks have been a nonstop “Chronicle of a Death Foretold.”

“For us it’s not so much the waiting for the death of a person,” said Joanna Burgos, spokeswoman for the Miami-based Raices of Esperanza, a nonpartisan youth group that advocates for a free and democratic Cuba.

“It’s much more the waiting for the opportunity for young people on the island to have a chance to live freely, and hopefully that might give them an open door to do so.”

Tiger
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 09:05:22 AM »

I agre that Fidels death does not give Freedom,that is for sure,but I can pray
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 09:41:57 PM »

If the rumors of Fidel's death are not true now .... just wait a while. By this time next year, he will be dead.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.