April 26, 2024, 06:35:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Vick - An Editorial  (Read 12312 times)
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 11:29:28 AM »

No kidding None - no emotions at all... I think Vick has some very deep problems - seems a little sociopathic to me.

I agree.

Hi ya San!  What you doing over in the sports section? !!     Good to see ya.  Did you see his press conference... he looks more angry than remorseful.  POS.

Good to see ya sistah!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 04:11:51 PM »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_VICK_BANKRUPTCY?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
Jul 2, 7:15 PM EDT

Vick files revised bankruptcy plan in Va. court

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Suspended NFL star Michael Vick would keep one vehicle, one home and a large assortment of furniture and personal items if his creditors and the judge who rejected his previous bankruptcy plan approve a revised one filed Thursday.

The new plan also gives creditors a bigger cut of his future earnings but would still leave enough for Vick to live comfortably if he is able to resume his once-lucrative NFL career.

It would give Vick incentive to return to the NFL and take responsibility to pay his taxes and expenses, Vick's lawyers wrote in papers filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Newport News. Thursday was the deadline for filing the plan.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Frank J. Santoro has scheduled a hearing on the new proposal for July 31. Santoro in April dismissed Vick's first plan as unworkable and ordered a new one. He suggested at the time that Vick consider liquidating some of the vehicles and one of his two expensive Virginia homes.

Vick now plans to keep only a 2007 Infiniti SUV and the house in Hampton where he is serving the final two months of his nearly two-year sentence on home confinement. Vick pleaded guilty to operating a dogfighting ring in August 2007 and was suspended indefinitely by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. He is scheduled to be released from federal custody July 20.

Goodell has said he will review Vick's status after he is released but has not given a specific timetable.

Unlike the previous plan, the new one would give creditors 10 percent of the first $750,000 a year Vick earns, ensuring that they will get part of his future paychecks even if he doesn't make it back into the NFL. The plan rejected by Santoro would have allowed Vick to keep the first $750,000.

Creditors would get a larger slice of any Vick income over that amount, ranging from 25 percent to 40 percent on a sliding scale. The 40 percent cut kicks in at an earnings level of more than $10 million, which at least initially would appear to be a stretch for a 29-year-old quarterback who hasn't played since the 2006 season.

In exchange for the bigger cuts of Vick's future earnings, a committee representing his unsecured creditors agreed to allow Vick to keep more furnishings, including items from a his Duluth, Ga., home that is being sold. The plan includes a detailed list of items, from a toaster to a Mrs. Pacman arcade game from the home's bar.

Vick, the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback, once was the NFL's highest-paid player. Court papers show that he squandered a fortune on bad business deals and lavish spending. Vick listed assets of $16 million and liabilities of $20.4 million when he filed his Chapter 11 petition in July 2008.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 04:44:01 PM »

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2009/07/vick-decision-looms-for-nfl.html?hpid=topnews
July 20, 2009
Vick Released; NFL Decision Looms

UPDATED (2:26 p.m.)...
Michael Vick
 was released from federal custody Monday, with the sentence for his role in a dogfighting operation in Virginia expiring after he was imprisoned in Leavenworth, Kan., then on home confinement in Hampton, Va.

There still is no indication, however, about whether he'll be reinstated by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Goodell suspended Vick indefinitely prior to the 2007 season, and has not given a timetable for ruling on Vick's possible reinstatement. Goodell has said in recent months that he would not begin the decision-making process until after Vick's legal case concluded. He has said that Vick must demonstrate genuine remorse to be reinstated.

There is likely to be a face-to-face meeting between Goodell and Vick before Goodell makes a ruling. Goodell has not indicated whether he will make a decision before the upcoming season.

It also is not clear whether any NFL teams are interested in signing Vick, who is a free agent after being released by the Atlanta Falcons. He once was among the league's most dynamic players. But he's been out of the sport for two seasons, and any club that considers signing him will have to weigh the public relations implications of doing so.

Attorney Lawrence Woodward, who represents Vick, told the Associated Press that Vick was released from federal custody as scheduled. Vick had spent the past two months on home confinement, wearing an electronic monitoring device. The AP reported that two men in a car with a federal Bureau of Prisons folder on its dashboard visited Vick's home Monday morning, carrying a case similar to the one in which Vick's monitoring device was delivered when his home confinement began in May.

The period of home confinement was the completion of Vick's 23-month federal sentence. He had to serve at least 85 percent of that sentence under federal law, the AP reported. Vick worked a construction job, then switched to a job with programs for a boys and girls club, during his home confinement.

Vick remains on probation.

He also is without an NFL team and is ineligible for play in the league because of the suspension imposed by Goodell.

"The review of his status is ongoing," Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of public relations, said in a written statement Monday.

Goodell said at an NFL owners' meeting in May in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.: "Michael is going to have to demonstrate to myself and to the general public and to a lot of people: Did he learn anything from this experience? Does he regret what happened? Does he feel that he can be a positive influence going forward? Those are the questions that I would like to see [answered] when I sit with him."

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said at the same May owners' meeting: "There's no question Michael has paid his debt to society, obviously. But beyond that, the commissioner has to decide whether or not Michael, based on his view, has not only the personal remorse but has conducted himself, not only personally but in who he's associating with, in a way that is going to allow him to be a player in the NFL and represent our league well. That's the decision that the commissioner will make.

"... I believe in second chances," Blank said. "I believe in redemption. But the commissioner needs to satisfy himself that Michael has not only gone through his own journey but he's prepared to make other decisions than he's made in the past, both personally and in who he associates himself with. [That's] a very big part of that. He's, from what I've read, committed to getting his life back in order, his family and his own personal life and at the same time looking to the future in the National Football League. That was pretty clear going through [Vick's] bankruptcy proceedings."

Vick's representatives have made a return to the NFL by Vick a key component of his plan to emerge from the bankruptcy proceedings in which he's been involved. But any team that weighs the possibility of signing Vick will have to consider the PR implications.

"I think an owner would have to go through the same process that the commissioner would and satisfy himself or herself that Michael is--it goes beyond paying the price because clearly he's done that," Blank said in May. It's "whether or not he's a different person than he was... the last time he played a game in the NFL, and whether or not he's surrounding himself in an environment that's going to allow him to be a productive person and a productive player and a productive team member in the league."

Former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy visited Vick in prison and has said he believes that Vick deserves another chance in the NFL. Some former teammates also have lobbied publicly for Vick's reinstatement. But the public debate has continued, with some commentators contending that Vick doesn't deserve another chance to play in the NFL.

Some talent evaluators within the league wonder privately what the prolonged absence from the sport has done to Vick's on-field skills. Vick turned 29 in June and, while NFL quarterbacks regularly remain productive well into their 30s, Vick's six-season tenure as the Falcons' quarterback often included more success when he ran the ball than when he threw it. He ran for more than 1,000 yards in the 2006 season.

One development in the NFL that could aid Vick's potential return is the widespread use of the "Wildcat" offense around the league last season, in which the ball is snapped on some plays to an offensive player who is as skilled at running the ball as at throwing it. That offensive formation became increasingly popular after the Miami Dolphins used it to beat the New England Patriots in a game, and Vick perhaps could be a major on-field asset to a team wanting to use that approach.

ESPN reported Monday that Vick plans to hire speed and performance trainer Tom Shaw to aid his preparations for a prospective return to the league. Still, there's no way for NFL talent evaluators to know for certain what sort of player they'd be getting.

"You really don't know about the two years off because there's basically never been anyone who's been in that position," former NFL coach Dan Reeves, who coached Vick with the Falcons, said in a telephone interview Monday. "That's going to be a difficult thing. The other difficult thing for him will be finding someone to give him a chance. My hopes are that somebody will. I hope he does get that opportunity because he was such an exciting player. Two years away is a long time but hopefully the commissioner will reinstate him and he can get with a team for training camp so we can see what he can do."

Reeves said there's "no question" that he would sign Vick if he were running an NFL team.

"The guy's got three years probation," Reeves said. "That's a difficult thing. If he makes one mistake, he's back in prison. Michael needs to realize that. I know what type of person he is. He's a good person who made a huge, huge mistake. I'm not defending what he did. You can't defend what he did. But he's a guy who has a big heart. He's a great competitor. I'd like to see him given a second chance."

William Moran, an attorney who advised the New York Giants in connection with the Plaxico Burress shooting investigation, said that what Vick says in his face-to-face meeting with Goodell could be a significant factor in Goodell's reinstatement decision, and Vick will have to be similarly persuasive when meeting with any potential NFL employers.

"As far as what he needs to do to satisfy the commissioner that he is deserving of reinstatement and a chance to play, he needs to sit down and demonstrate he is accepting of the wrongful nature of what he's done and outline what he's going to do to avoid anything of this nature ever happening again," Moran, a partner in the New York office of the firm McCarter & English, said by phone Monday. "As far as dealing with teams, I think it's along the same lines.... I think it [Vick's crime] is of such a nature that teams are going to have to consider it and what implications it will have with the public going forward. On the other hand, the balance to that will be the obvious raw talent of the player."

Moran said he doesn't believe that Vick would be harmed by doing a high-profile media interview in which he expressed regret for his actions. The public generally is willing to forgive those who are contrite, Moran said, although this case seemingly continues to provoke raw emotions in the reactions of observers with views on both sides of the Vick reinstatement debate.

"The press has had enough high-profile cases lately that it's not unreasonable to expect another case to come along to take the attention away from this one," Moran said. "It's in the public's nature to forgive and move on. I guess that will remain to be seen. It will be a balancing act here between the notoriety of the acts and the skill of the player."

Vick also could draw interest from the upstart United Football League, which is scheduled to begin play in the fall and has hired former NFL coaches Dennis Green, Jim Fassel, Jim Haslett and Ted Cottrell to coach its four franchises.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Frijole
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 05:49:12 AM »

What a pig.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=15876

Mike Vick Spent His First Night Out of Federal Custody Like Any Guy Would Have: At a Strip Club in Virginia Beach

Former NFL QB Mike Vick had been in prison for 19 months before being released into federal custody in May. Monday, he was released from federal custody. What was the first thing Vick did? The former Falcons QB went to Atlantis strip club in Virginia Beach, Virginia, according to a source who spotted him at the club and a DJ at the jiggle joint who did not want to be quoted by name. Vick was partying with NBA free agent Allen Iverson, the source and DJ both said.
After getting a tip from a reader Wednesday, and seeing this post at YBF saying the same thing, we called the club half a dozen times until we were able to get someone on the phone tonight around 10:15 pm. “Monday’s are crazy here, it’s amateur night, and it’s packed,” said the DJ, who did not to be quoted. He checked with a few of the dancers about whether or not Vick and Iverson were present Monday and said, “yup, both of them were here. It’s the first place I’d want to go as a free man, too.”

ESPN reported this week that Vick will soon be meeting with NFL commish Roger Goodell about a possible reinstatement. It doesn’t seem as if a strip club visit would be a barrier to his return to the NFL - surely even the stern Goodell could understand Vick’s first night excursion, right?

We’ve long thought that Vick has done his time and he should immediately be reinstated by Goodell. We’ve been Vick fans since we covered his first game at Virginia Tech, when he memorably flipped into the end zone during a 47-0 shellacking of James Madison. We thought he was the best player in the country as a freshman when Ron Dayne won the Heisman, we thought Vick did some great things in Atlanta despite a lack of quality WRs, and we thought - yeah, we’ll say it - he got shafted with a 23-month sentence in jail for his role in a dogfighting conspiracy.

They key word to remember in your meeting with Goodell, Mike: contrition.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 10:26:07 PM »

What a pig.

I agree.
He's a man without a moral compass. I had hoped the NFL would realize that he's nothing but trouble, and decline to reinstate him, but they seem to be blinded by his talent.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 08:01:16 AM »

What a pig.

I agree.
He's a man without a moral compass. I had hoped the NFL would realize that he's nothing but trouble, and decline to reinstate him, but they seem to be blinded by his talent.

I agree too. A pig indeed and the fact he's out with bad boy Allen Iverson is only further proof that Vick doesn't know the meaning of "contrition".

Dig this, some of son's team headed to Atlanta over the fourth holiday. Of course they went clubbing and one of them started shooting a gun in the parking lot. By george he got arrested for it and was completely surprised that he could be arrested for shooting a gun in the city limits. He thought he could only be arrested if he shot someone???

there is no excuse for this, none - nada - same for Vick.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Kiwi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 04:41:29 PM »

Just in - the commish reinstated him partially. The gist of it, he can play in the last 2 preseason games and workout with the team. Game six would be the first regular season game he would be available to play in. Still I have not heard any mention of him feeling bad for the animals he terrorized and killed. Since Kiwi is a dog, this is close to home for me. Given the chance I'm sure she would put the bite on him!

If you were one of the original 20 female tourists to encounter JVDS while on vacation call the FBI. Tell them where you were taken.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »

I wish the fans would boycott his first game, just to send a statement to him and to the NFL.

none - What was that kid doing with a gun anyway?  Idiocy plus firearms is always a recipe for disaster. If I was the coach, he'd be gone just for carrying a gun around with him.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »

http://blog.pennlive.com/pasports/2012/07/michael_vick_says_mother_devas.html#incart_more_sports
Michael Vick says mother devastated when he came clean about dogfighting
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2012, 12:48 PM

Philadelphia Eagles QB Michael Vick continues to speak his mind about the mistakes he made that led to his incarceration on federal dogfighting charges while promoting his new book "Finally Free."
Vick's media stops on Tuesday included NBC's Today Show and CNN's Piers Morgan Tonight. In the latter interview, he revealed just how much his past misdeeds affected his relationship with his mother.
"I lied to my mom," Vick told Morgan. "She really didn't know what was going on. She, I think, had heard just from people word of mouth that I was engaging in illegal activity but she couldn't put a finger on it and nobody else knew."
Vick, however, did eventually come clean to his mother, and recalled just how much of a strain his arrest was on his family.
 ::snipping2::

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 06:57:35 AM »

http://blog.pennlive.com/pasports/2012/07/michael_vick_says_mother_devas.html#incart_more_sports
Michael Vick says mother devastated when he came clean about dogfighting
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2012, 12:48 PM

Philadelphia Eagles QB Michael Vick continues to speak his mind about the mistakes he made that led to his incarceration on federal dogfighting charges while promoting his new book "Finally Free."
Vick's media stops on Tuesday included NBC's Today Show and CNN's Piers Morgan Tonight. In the latter interview, he revealed just how much his past misdeeds affected his relationship with his mother.
"I lied to my mom," Vick told Morgan. "She really didn't know what was going on. She, I think, had heard just from people word of mouth that I was engaging in illegal activity but she couldn't put a finger on it and nobody else knew."
Vick, however, did eventually come clean to his mother, and recalled just how much of a strain his arrest was on his family.

"You can only go on what you see at such a young age, and I just fell into that trap and started believing what I wanted to believe," Vick said on CNN. "There was never a point at which someone tried to correct me and tell me it was wrong."

And that pretty much states what is wrong with so many youth and adults.  They believe what they want to believe.  How sad, because what they believe has no consequences, at least in their minds.

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.