March 29, 2024, 04:43:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ode to Liverwurst  (Read 7927 times)
Dugga
Administrator
Scared Monkey

« on: August 26, 2007, 07:05:45 PM »

Ode to Liverwurst - A Dramatic Poetry Reading by Dugga

How long!
Oh, how long since your meaty goodness passed my lips.

Underdog of the meat aisle, your tubular goodness hidden from the palettes of the mainstream.
Only the faintest hint of liver to offend!

Nestled betwixt the freshness of of white or wheat
With a generous dollop of Miracle Whip to compliment
And perhaps
On occasion
Fresh cheese

Your Germanic Christian name escapes the bourgeois
But the true know thee as Braunschweiger.

Pray I not forsake myself your simple pleasure
And settle for the pale ham or turkey.

Good fortune to those who populate their meat drawers
With your gentle boldness.

(delicate applause ensues)
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:18:38 PM »

Ummm    puker  Liver  eeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk    Shocked
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 07:24:43 PM »

If you say so Dugga.... Shocked

Does it taste like ????

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Dugga
Administrator
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 07:31:39 PM »

It's certainly not chickenny...

I hate hate hate liver. But I gotta tell ya, those little oscar meyer tubes with the yellow labels? Sit me down with a spoon and one of those, and I'm a happy, happy man.
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 08:44:48 PM »

I hate hate hate liver. But I gotta tell ya, those little oscar meyer tubes with the yellow labels? Sit me down with a spoon and one of those, and I'm a happy, happy man.

Umm.. so you eat it raw? don't it have to be cooked?  Shocked
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 09:51:19 PM »

I love Braunschweiger. Sliced in wedges on toast or a muffin with lotsa mayo and onion salt.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Dugga
Administrator
Scared Monkey

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 12:01:11 AM »

No, it's like lunch meat. Technically, it's sausage I think. But when you buy it in the store, it's all cooked. You just spread it or slice it.

Louise is right. You can spread it on crackers like a pate, or slice it in larger chunks on sandwiches.

Soooooo yummy. I may have to go for a east-coast-midnight snack right now!

We need a smiley licking its lips!

Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 12:14:32 AM »

No, it's like lunch meat. Technically, it's sausage I think. But when you buy it in the store, it's all cooked. You just spread it or slice it.

Louise is right. You can spread it on crackers like a pate, or slice it in larger chunks on sandwiches.

Soooooo yummy. I may have to go for a east-coast-midnight snack right now!

We need a smiley licking its lips!

LOL ..TY for the explanation.  Laughing
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 01:31:27 AM »

Yes, it is yummy. Alas, it is a heart attack in a tube, so I rarely eat it. When I do, mustard is my condiment of choice!

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 02:43:27 AM »

I agree about the nutritional value but liverworst or braunschweigher with pickles on a sandwich is delicious and dangerous at the same time.  College friend made them for us when at the beach and we thought he was nuts...we ate them and found out that he was right.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 04:34:07 PM »

Yes, it is yummy. Alas, it is a heart attack in a tube, so I rarely eat it. When I do, mustard is my condiment of choice!

Nutritional Information on Liverwurst spread
Serving Sizes:

100 grams
0 cup (55 grams)
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: (100 grams)
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 305
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25g    39%
   Saturated Fat 10g    49%
Cholesterol 118mg    39%
Sodium 700mg    29%
Total Carboydrates 6g    1%
   Dietary Fiber 3g    ~
   Sugars 2g    ~
Protein 12g    24%
Vitamin A    272%       Vitamin C    5%
Iron    49%       Calcium    2%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs

Nutrient Information
Vitamins
   %DV
Vitamin A    13636 IU    272%
   Retinol    4091 mcg    
   Retional Activity Equivalent    4091 mcg    
   Alpha Carotene    0 mcg    
   Beta Carotene    0 mcg    
   Beta Cryptoxanthin    0 mcg    
   Lycopene    0 mcg    
   Lutein + Zeaxanthin    0 mcg    
Vitamin C    3.5 mg    5%
Vitamin E    0 mg    0%
Vitamin K    0 mcg    0%
Thiamin    0.272 mg    18%
Riboflavin    1.03 mg    60%
Niacin    4.3 mg    21%
Vitamin B6    0.19 mg    9%
Vitamin B12    13.46 mcg    224%
Folate    30 mcg    7%
   Food Folate    30 5.6 mcg    ~
   Folic Acid    0 mcg    ~
   Dietary Folate Equivalents    30 mcg    ~
Pantothenic Acid    2.95 mcg    29%

Minerals
   %DV
Calcium    22 mg    2%
Iron    8.85 mg    49%
Magnesium    12 mg    3%
Phosphorus    230 mg    23%
Potassium    170 mg    7%
Sodium    700 mg    29%
Zinc    2.3 mg    15%
Copper    0.24 mg    12%
Manganese    0.155 mg    7%
Selenium    58 mcg    82%

Fats
   %DV
Total Fat    25.45 mg    39%
Saturated Fat    9.925 mg    49%
Monounsaturated Fat    12.286 mg    ~
Polyunsaturated Fat    2.427 mg    ~

http://www.elook.org/nutrition/luncheon-meats/1632.html

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Dugga
Administrator
Scared Monkey

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 05:00:56 PM »

"Heart attack in a tube" is right!!!

Like I always say, it might kill me, but at least I'll die with a smile on my face.  Laughing
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 06:00:57 PM »

"Heart attack in a tube" is right!!!

Like I always say, it might kill me, but at least I'll die with a smile on my face.  Laughing

Actually, it doesn't look as bad on paper as I thought it would be. Laughing

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 07:18:28 PM »

You'd never get me near anything that color.....it looks disgusting and unappetizing. Shocked

Sorry Dugga. You can always have my share. Laughing

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
sleddogs
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 10:36:40 PM »

Thickly spread on your favorite bread with mayo and fresh tomatos out of the garden.

MUMMMMMMMMMMM

Who said Siberian Huskies are too big to be lap dogs?

If ya ain't the lead sleddog, the scenery never changes.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 10:45:36 PM »

Sometimes I long for the days when we knew not that everything tasty, pleasurable, etc. would kill us. We may have increased our overall life span, but what of our quality of life?    There was so much of that quality in my childhood and early adulthood.  Sad Sigh...

Dugga
Administrator
Scared Monkey

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 11:20:56 PM »

Sometimes I long for the days when we knew not that everything tasty, pleasurable, etc. would kill us. We may have increased our overall life span, but what of our quality of life?    There was so much of that quality in my childhood and early adulthood.  Sad Sigh...

I agree mama! It is nice now and then to enjoy a simple, decadent pleasure though...

It's been about 2 years ago now, but I distinctly remember enjoying a twinkie and thinking to myself "man, why did I ever stop eating these?" hahaha.

Everything in moderation is the rule, I suppose - be it twinkies or beer.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 04:27:13 PM »

Homemade Liverwurst Recipe:

Ingredients
1 pound fresh pork liver, cubed
3/4 pound lean pork butt, cubed
1/4 pound pork fat, cubed
1 large sweet white onion, about 1-1/2 cups, finely diced
3 tablespoons powdered dry milk
1 teaspoon freshly fine ground white pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon finely ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

Instructions
This recipe is slightly different from the previous ones in that we don?t use animal casings. You will need a piece of unbleached muslin about twelve inches long and eight inches wide. As an alternative, you can use large collagen casings.

Fold the muslin lengthwise and tightly stitch a seam across one of the short ends and continue along the open side. Keep the stitching about an eighth of an inch from the edge of the material. The short side of the seam can be curved in a semicirle to give the finished product a rounded end. Turn the casing inside out so that the stitching is on the inside. Set it aside until you are ready to stuff it.

Put the cubes of liver, pork, and fat through the fine disk or the grinder separately and then mix and grind together. Sprinkle the remaining ingredients over the ground meat and mix thoroughly with your hands. Put the mixture through the fine blade of the grinder twice more, chilling the mixture for half and hour between grindings.

Pack the mixture into the muslin casing. It helps to fold the open end down over itself to get things started. This makes it easier to reach the bottom. Pack the meat as firmly as possible. Stitch the open end closed or firmly secure it with a wire twist tie.

In a large kettle, bring enough water to a boil to cover the liverwurst by two or three inches. Put the sausage in the boiling water and place a weight on it to keep it submerged. Two or three large dinner plates work just fine. When the water returns to a boil, reduce heat so that the water barely simmers. Cook for three hours. Drain out the hot water and replace it with an equal quantity of ice water. When the liverwurst has cooled, refrigerate it overnight, and them remove the muslin casing.

Store the liverwurst in the refrigerator and eat it within ten days.

This doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.  At least it isn't made with animal casings...But I can't begin to imagine the smell 

Karo
Scared Monkey

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 08:07:55 PM »

I too love liverworst and braunschweigher, but haven't had any in 10 or more years.  This discussion would make me want to run out and buy some except I've gained too much weight lately even to consider it Sad  I would try Muffy's recipe but I've never seen pork liver in our stores around here... The good, fresh (not frozen) calf and chicken liver are hard enough to find. 

I think liverworst is much more popular in the north, which reminds me of another "northern" food I love and miss: Boston Brown Bread.  We used to buy the B & H brand in cans and top slices of it with cream cheese.  YUM!  But I just looked it up online and it costs almost $5 a can now, not including postage and handling  Shocked  You can't buy it in any of our stores around here anymore...  I miss a lot of things you cannot buy in the stores anymore, but if you're desperate enough to get them, there are online speciality stores eager to sell them at a very high price. 
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 09:15:07 PM »

I too love liverworst and braunschweigher, but haven't had any in 10 or more years.  This discussion would make me want to run out and buy some except I've gained too much weight lately even to consider it Sad  I would try Muffy's recipe but I've never seen pork liver in our stores around here... The good, fresh (not frozen) calf and chicken liver are hard enough to find. 

I think liverworst is much more popular in the north, which reminds me of another "northern" food I love and miss: Boston Brown Bread.  We used to buy the B & H brand in cans and top slices of it with cream cheese.  YUM!  But I just looked it up online and it costs almost $5 a can now, not including postage and handling  Shocked  You can't buy it in any of our stores around here anymore...  I miss a lot of things you cannot buy in the stores anymore, but if you're desperate enough to get them, there are online speciality stores eager to sell them at a very high price. 

Whoops!  I see I forgot to put in the link to that recipe.  It really isn't mine and I can't take credit.  I don't eat meat.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.