March 28, 2024, 05:32:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Musings  (Read 1310 times)
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« on: August 29, 2007, 12:24:09 AM »

Random Musings from August 28, 2007

Since being sober, I've found my excitement in mundane events. Last night was mildly memorable.

I have had "tennis-elbow” for several months. It has ranged from annoying to downright painful, with aching and shooting pains radiating down my forearm. Our bathroom is very narrow, and there is a wall that juts out from the end of the shower. I had just cleaned the toilet bowl, turned to walk to the sink to wash my hands, and walked right into that damn wall. I struck my elbow into the jutting corner, driving the edge of the wall between the two bones at my elbow that have been the source of the pain. Needless to say, it hurt. A lot. My scream must have been horrible, as Justin, whom I've always sworn would take days to notice if I were to fall comatose, came running, asking if he should call 911. Once the initial agony subsided, I noted that while my elbow still smarted a great deal, there was no longer any discomfort radiating down my forearm. Even now, there is no sign of radiating pain. I have to wonder if I somehow, inadvertently, have cured whatever caused it? Time will tell.

The other event of note involved the cat, an ottoman and chair and the vacuum sweeper. Milo was sticking his nose as far as he could get it, as well as picking with his paw, at something just under the ottoman. I looked, and thought that he had knocked one his faux mouse toys under it. I saw the tail. Then I saw a piece of I had no idea what (fur ball? crud?) next to it. As I reached for the tail of the "toy", I decided that I should use a paper towel to pick up whatever the unidentified object was. Retrieved towel, reached down to lift the ottoman, and to my abject horror, the tail was attached to a real, live mouse.  The poor thing did not move, and I thought that Milo had severely injured it. Plopped the ottoman down (cat was too dumb to go after the mouse when he readily had the opportunity), went to retrieve yet another means of not touching anything disgusting (disposable cup), and returned to scoop the mouse into it. I once again lifted the ottoman, and said mouse merely lay there. Placed the cup in front of the mouse to scoop it up (cat watching the entire time~ told ya he was dumb), and the mouse made a run for it. It shot under the chair, and I went after it again with the cup. Perhaps I am not much more sharp than Milo, as I again tried to scoop the mouse into the cup. The mouse retreated further under the chair. I called Milo over, and lifted the skirt of the chair so he could see that he could flatten his fat little body and crawl under it. He peered under the chair, made as if he were going to scrunch himself down, and then lost interest. Well, I certainly was NOT going to go to bed with a mouse running about, not if I could help it! I envisioned Milo capturing it and proudly plopping it onto my bed, or worse, into my open mouth as I slept unawares. The next weapon in my arsenal was the vacuum sweeper. Using the hose, I swept under the chair, trying to ensnare the mouse. Finally, I gave up.

The adventure continued into this morning. Milo is, as many animals are, very afraid of the vacuum. However, he was intimately and alternately  inspecting the hose and the base. This was suspicious, to say the least. I lay the vacuum down, exposing the underside of the base. Milo tried to stick his nose in it. Having failed at that, he began to shove his paw into the space between the brush and frame. As I left for work, he was busily investigating the sweeper. Upon arriving home this evening, I asked Justin to put the sweeper in the garage, just in case there was a likely dead mouse in it. He removed the hose (I have no idea why), and took the machine out. When I noticed he had left the hose, I asked him to remove it, too. A short while later, Justin was in his room, yelling “Leave that mouse alone, Milo!” I quickly addressed the situation, shooing Milo away, observing the mouse (who was again not fleeing), and directing Justin to obtain a disposable cup lickety split. I noted that said mouse’s appearance was rather ragged, and one hind foot seemed to be missing. This time, I was able to readily scoop the poor thing into the cup. I took mouse and cup outside, and released the injured mammal into the yard. Ya know, as I write, it occurs to me that I saw no tail this evening, either. So Milo bit off the foot and tail. How nice. Mouse breath. Yuck.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.