April 19, 2024, 07:20:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musing Daily Open Discussion #5 9/6 - 9/17/2007  (Read 200241 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: September 05, 2007, 04:34:52 PM »

This thread will be like the old LCD thread.  We only request that if you have actual news, photos or pertenant facts on specific cases you post in the proper area.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 11:43:17 AM by klaasend » Logged
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 03:46:03 PM »

Oooooo.  Oooooo.  Do I get to be first?  Huh?  Huh?  Well, do I? tongue

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 03:47:27 PM »

Oooooo.  Oooooo.  Do I get to be first?  Huh?  Huh?  Well, do I? tongue

Oh boy.  I got to be first.   But there was no one else here to race with.  Wahhh.  Kinda takes the fun out of it...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 04:29:41 PM »

Counterterrorism Officials Analyzing Islamic Web Post Warning of 'Special Gift'
Thursday , September 06, 2007

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295943,00.html

DEVELOPING STORY: Federal counterterrorism officials are analyzing a posting on an Islamic forum Web site that warns of "a special gift" to be given on the sixth anniversary of Sept. 11, FOX News has learned.

The warning was posted Sept. 2 on a site frequented by radical groups and said in part that "there will be a special gift coming on the day of the blessed invasion of Manhattan."

Federal officials told FOX News they are trying to determine if it might be a specific warning or just part of broad chatter that has been heard during the last few months.

Postings talking about "gifts" have been seen before in the days leading up to the anniversary of Sept. 11.

This story will be updated
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 04:31:57 PM »

U.S. Warns of High Threat of Terror Attack in Nigeria

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295967,00.html
 LAGOS, Nigeria  —

U.S. and other Western installations are at risk of terrorist attack in Africa's most-populous nation, and U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance in the West African nation, the U.S. Embassy said Thursday.

Nigeria, which has never suffered an attack by an international terrorist organization, is a top supplier of foreign oil for the United States, which is seeking alternative sources of crude amid turmoil in the Middle East.

"The U.S. Mission in Nigeria has received information that U.S. and other Western interests in Nigeria are currently at risk for terrorist attacks," the embassy said in a consular statement sent via e-mail to U.S. citizens in Nigeria.

"Potential targets include official and commercial installations in Abuja and Lagos," it said, without elaborating.

Embassy officials couldn't immediately be reached for comment. The statement didn't indicate which terror organization might be behind any attacks in Nigeria, a country of about 140 million citizens roughly split between Muslims and Christians.

In a statement attributed to Usama Bin Laden in recent years, Nigeria was targeted for liberation by Al Qaeda. Nigeria's president at that time was a Christian, while current President Umaru Yar'Adua is a Muslim who was governor of one the 12 states across the north where the Islamic civil code known as Shariah was installed in 2000.

Nigeria is a secular nation where opinion polls consistently show widespread admiration of America and the country's military and civilian administrations have generally been considered pro-West.

However, security forces in Nigeria are often ill-equipped and prone to bribe-taking, meaning law enforcement is weak. The country's northern border runs along the edge of the Sahara Desert — a vast, unguarded space where U.S. officials say Al Qaeda-linked militants operate.

The embassy warned U.S. citizens to be vigilant and aware of their surroundings at all times, saying "analysis has shown that individuals who appear to take basic personal security measures are often passed over by terrorist groups as a potential target."

With the sixth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks looming, analysts and security officials warn that terrorists could be gearing up. German authorities said an investigation into a failed plot there was aided by the suspects' increased activity ahead of the anniversary.

Maybe the terrorists got one of those Nigerian scam emails too  :lol:
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 04:45:19 PM »

"Counterterrorism Officials Analyzing Islamic Web Post Warning of 'Special Gift'"

I don't find this surprising, but I do find it very, very scarey.  And being afraid is all part of terrorism :--(  I hope our intel is up on this stuff.  There is probably so many threats from so many places, I don't know how the LE can figure it out and stay at least a few steps ahead of this kind of thing.  I'm sure on the day of September 11th, there will be many on alert.  But how do you cover everything? 

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 05:02:53 PM »

Eco-Friendly Catamaran Kicks Off World Waterway Protection Tour

NEW YORK  —

A spider-like catamaran sailed into New York Harbor on Thursday to promote the well-being and protection of the world’s waterways, TechWeb reported.

The catamaran, Proteus, so named for the ancient sea god and guardian of all marine life, graced the waters surrounding Manhattan before it was to begin its One Ocean mission through America’s national marine sanctuaries to "build international alliances and strengthen ties between marine protected areas around the world."

Click here to read the story on TechWeb.

The mission intends to draw attention to man-made threats to marine protected areas such as habitat damage, pollution, threatened wildlife populations and recovering fish stocks and show these problems are the same around the globe.

"We are very excited about our One Ocean mission and the use of advanced technology embodied in the Proteus to enhance partnerships between the United States and Italy and raise awareness about the importance of our one ocean," said Dr. Isabella Conti, co-founder of Marine Advanced Research, which developed Proteus.

The vessel appropriately was named for the sea-god Proteus, who also could change shape to take on different forms. The catamaran seemingly skims waves and its design allows for rescue missions, research and ocean exploration. It is 100 feet long and 50 feet wide, stable, maneuverable and can cross oceans.

Eco-friendly features include low fuel consumption, low draft, minimal wake at high speed and soft hulls.

Proteus, the first full-size wave adaptive modular vessel, kicked off the One Ocean initiative by sailing through Italy’s Marine Protected Areas in June.

Over the next two years, the catamaran will travel to North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Texas and California.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295975,00.html

SunFreak2
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 05:48:22 PM »

I like the Barrel of Monkeys graphic at the beginning of the thread.

But where are all the monkeys? 

Myself - I've been gone to a funeral for the last week.  Posted once about Hurricane Felix.

I miss everyone and hope they are just busy and not gone.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 05:51:54 PM »

Myself - I've been gone to a funeral for the last week.  Posted once about Hurricane Felix.

Some may be gone, others may be busy.  Some are hanging out in the NH thread.  Some are busy working on other missing person cases like Donna Jou. 

Sorry to hear about the funeral.  Great to see you back though.  How are you feeling?
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 05:52:58 PM »

Hi SF   I'm sorry you have attended a funeral this week. 

crazybabyborg
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 07:26:04 PM »

Hi SunFreak and all monkeys! Muffy, you are just so adorable. It's the new you!
oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 07:31:49 PM »

Hi Monkeys

Just peeking in for a bit...   

Have we heard anything on the Dutch  When, where what  or nada ... ?

It is NOT over !!! If you believe good prevails and that the truth comes forward then justice will be handed out.  I want answers!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 07:42:40 PM »

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Guys, if you haven't seen Dugga's latest post/link in the Outsider Art/ Music thread, you gotta go!

I'm the last post, but it's just above that.

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=1947.0
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:47:24 PM by crazybabyborg » Logged
sb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 09:43:09 PM »

I see what's been going on w/ yapperz and her e-mail account. That's why I personally don't want my e-mail floating around out there on everyone's forwarding lists and the like. My brother and his wife are the WORST about forwarding stuff to everyone they know and they have been hit several times.

Klaas has my e-mail and I have asked her not to give it to anyone but a VERY select few. So far I have had no problems.

I am not surprised that the e-mail originated from Holland. They are watching us.

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."

Natalee's family/friends still need our prayers.
Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 10:50:51 PM »

Name:Sandra Ruck
City:Winnipeg
Zip Code:R2P-0A2

This is wierd, it is where I live, except the we don't have zips. And if you sent this, it would go no where !
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 10:56:21 PM »

Police Find Bike Likely Belonging to Missing Brigham Young University Student

PROVO, Utah  —

Authorities searching for a Brigham Young University student swarmed the banks of the Provo River on Thursday night after two people surrendered a bicycle that likely belonged to the 22-year-old woman.

It was a significant development in the disappearance of Camille Cleverley, who has been missing since Aug. 30.

• Click here to view video.

A dam upstream at Deer Creek Reservoir was closed to lower the depth of the river and check for any evidence of the BYU senior, Provo police Lt. John Guyerman said.

"We don't know if she's here. All we have to go on is a bicycle," he said.

The bike was turned in by two people who snatched it Saturday after finding it unattended on a path near Bridal Veil Falls, Guyerman said. They came forward after hearing about the missing woman.

Cleverley was last seen riding a week ago, about 40 miles south of Salt Lake City. Police were working to confirm that the Schwinn bike was hers.

Cars and pedestrians were turned away from the falls, a popular recreation spot, while officers delivered all-terrain vehicles, canoes and boats to the river Thursday night.

Earlier in the day, Provo police held their first news conference, making a public plea for information about Cleverley and the bicycle.
 (snipped)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296007,00.html
bleachedblack
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 11:01:36 PM »

Oh this is really bad................. Sad They think they have found the bike of the missing
Camille Cleverley.

".......O you who love clear edges
more than anything ......    watch the edges that blur"
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 11:02:50 PM »

Oh this is really bad................. Sad They think they have found the bike of the missing
Camille Cleverley.
Yes it is bad.  Remember how they were interviewing 2 people yesterday?  I suspect this was them.  Probably a couple kids that found the bike then saw on the news they were looking for it.
sleddogs
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 11:12:34 PM »

Name:Sandra Ruck
City:Winnipeg
Zip Code:R2P-0A2

This is wierd, it is where I live, except the we don't have zips. And if you sent this, it would go no where !

Canada does have postal code

R2P 0A2 Postal Code
Postal Code  R2P 0A2 
City Name  WINNIPEG 
Province Name  MANITOBA 
{{edit}}
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 11:56:27 PM by klaasend » Logged

Who said Siberian Huskies are too big to be lap dogs?

If ya ain't the lead sleddog, the scenery never changes.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 09:12:37 AM »

Good morning Monkeys and all the readers sunny  Today is Fried-Day.   

Did you all look at the front page?  Shocked
"Missing Madeleine McCann Shocker...Kate McCann Named as Suspect in Maddy's Disappearance"
http://tinyurl.com/2kc2xa
I haven't had time yet to look beyond what I see here, but ...Wow...?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.