April 24, 2024, 06:41:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Wolves  (Read 1808 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: September 07, 2007, 10:26:44 PM »

I read this story years ago in the midst of deep depression. It made me realize that we do have some control over our lives if we take the positive road.

I don't know if it is a parable (short fictitious story that illustrates a moral attitude or religious principle) or an allegory (the expression by means of symbolic fictional figures and actions of truths or generalizations about human existence)

Two Wolves: A Cherokee Teaching

An elderly Cherokee Native American was teaching his grandchildren about life...

He said to them, "A fight is going on inside me, it is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

One wolf is evil -- he is fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, competition, superiority, and ego.

The other is good---he is joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.

This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too."

They thought about it for a minute and then one child asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied: "The one you feed".

© Copyright 107 TurtleZen.com
All Rights Reserved Worldwide

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 11:14:41 PM »

I read this story years ago in the midst of deep depression. It made me realize that we do have some control over our lives if we take the positive road.

I don't know if it is a parable (short fictitious story that illustrates a moral attitude or religious principle) or an allegory (the expression by means of symbolic fictional figures and actions of truths or generalizations about human existence)

Two Wolves: A Cherokee Teaching

An elderly Cherokee Native American was teaching his grandchildren about life...

He said to them, "A fight is going on inside me, it is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

One wolf is evil -- he is fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, competition, superiority, and ego.

The other is good---he is joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.

This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too."

They thought about it for a minute and then one child asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied: "The one you feed".

© Copyright 107 TurtleZen.com
All Rights Reserved Worldwide

I hope Jerry of Ohio reads this.  I've heard it before and it's so true. 

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.