March 28, 2024, 03:54:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roxanne Paltauf, 18, disappeared 7/7/06 Austin TX  (Read 42573 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 09:04:36 AM »

I have spent countless hours trying to find a match---with no luck  Sad

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 09:22:04 PM »

I have spent countless hours trying to find a match---with no luck  Sad

Roxanne disappeared a week after I returned to the U.S. from overseas, and I remember reading about her case, and hearing it on tv.  And seven years later, she's still missing.     I hope she can be found soon and it's good of you to put forth work and effort to try to find a match. Roxanne's family and friends need answers.  Hoping it's soon.   an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 09:33:47 PM »

The Rundberg area in Austin where Roxanne disappeared is a pretty bad place.   

The hotels/motels are being pressured to stop renting rooms by the hour.  Cameras have been installed there is a lot going on to try to clean the area up.  It's about time.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crime-law/with-1-million-grant-police-will-try-to-revitalize/nTbRJ/
With $1 million grant, police will try to revitalize Rundberg Lane area
December 19, 2012

Dubbed Restore Rundberg, the plan will focus on a 6-square-mile area where less than 5 percent of Austin’s population sees 11 percent of the city’s violent crime and 7 percent of its property crime, according to police. Unemployment is as high as 14 percent in some spots, and 95 percent of the area’s students are considered economically disadvantaged, police said.
Most of the money will be spent on greater police presence — by paying officers overtime — and extra attention from city code enforcement officers, and on research by University of Texas sociologists, who plan to spend the next year surveying residents and holding neighborhood meetings to get a better understanding of the people and the problems.
“The Rundberg area has a huge opportunity for revitalization,” said police Cmdr. Mark Spangler, who will be the project manager for the grant.  “We need new, outside-of-the-box thinking for significant (crime) reductions.”

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/police-start-crime-crackdown-in-the-rundberg-lane-/nWDKL/
Police start crime crackdown in the Rundberg Lane area
February 1, 2013

Nine officers will patrol an area from Middle Fiskville Road to Lamar Boulevard and between Braker Lane and Powell Lane from 9 p.m. through 3 a.m. Friday and Saturday, police said.
They will focus on problems including narcotics, prostitution and gang-related offenses as part of the Restore Rundberg Project.
The increased patrols will be held seven more times this year and will run with other initiatives to clean up the area, police said.
Statistics from 2011 showed that 11 percent of the violent crimes and 7 percent of the property crimes in Austin occurred in in the Rundberg Lane area, Lt. Allen McClure said.
Police are working with a University of Texas researcher to determine why crime spikes occur during certain times of the year in the area, including in February, McClure said.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crime-law/north-austin-area-hopes-new-police-operation-will-/nW25b/
Rundberg area hopes new police operation will succeed where past efforts failed to root out chronic crime
March 23, 2013

For years, the area’s residents have seen the police flood their neighborhoods under the flag of some special operation – with names like Good Neighbor or Take Back Rundberg – and then watched crime return when the pressure ended.
They’ve marched down Rundberg, waving anti-crime signs. They’ve held rallies in front of drug houses and motels where prostitutes and dealers do business.
But the area has stubbornly refused to be taken back. The day after a neighborhood anti-crime march in 2007, a man was stabbed to death a few blocks away. Today, 9 percent of the city’s crime happens in the Rundberg area, which covers just 2 percent of the city’s footprint. One of every three prostitution arrests in Austin over the past five years has been in that area.
The meeting with Acevedo at Lanier High School in December launched an ambitious plan to reduce crime and generally clean up the collection of neighborhoods north of U.S. 183 that straddle North Lamar Boulevard and Interstate 35. Last year, Austin police secured a three-year, $1 million federal grant to revitalize the area.
They’ve dubbed the new effort Restore Rundberg, and police say what will separate this from past operations is the presence of University of Texas sociologists tasked with coming up with new ways of attacking decades-old problems.
Reducing crime is a big enough challenge, but they also hope to do it without making the working-class area a target for gentrification or simply pushing crime into other neighborhoods, said David Kirk, the UT associate sociology professor who’s leading the research, building on similar work he’s done in Chicago and New Orleans.
Cmdr. Mark Spangler, who’s leading the effort for the Austin Police Department, worked in the area as a young patrol officer 26 years ago. He’d like to see it return to what it was in the 1970s: a working-class neighborhood where people watched out for each other and crime wasn’t nearly the problem it is now.
“We look back 20 years and say, ‘What the hell happened?’” he said.

On a February afternoon at Rundberg and I-35, a scruffy-looking guy was juggling rubber balls at the stoplight, hoping for spare change from motorists. A few people gathered around the taco trucks parked next to the Budget Lodge motel, which the city and neighbors tried to shut down five years ago, saying it was infested with drugs and prostitution. The motel stayed open after its owner agreed to a list of conditions set by the city.
The intersection is the area’s biggest crime hot spot, said Charles Rohre, a police corporal who works in the area. It’s a place where, after nightfall, what Rohre calls “a hard-core population of thugs and criminals” takes over, despite the cameras police have mounted on utility poles around the intersection.
In the first hours of his shift, Rohre visits an apartment complex where a manager found two sisters, ages 6 and 8, sleeping with their backpacks in front of their apartment because their mother didn’t get home in time. Then he goes to a house where a drunken man in his 20s passed out on a neighbor’s front lawn.
As dusk approaches, he rolls slowly through the parking lots of motels along the I-35 service road and spots a familiar face. “You see the guy in the light blue jacket? I’ve arrested him twice for possession,” Rohre said. “Crack pipes, stuff like that.”

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Police-searching-for-evidence-in-womans-2006-disappearance-248755091.html
New leads in woman's 2006 disappearance
March 6, 2014

AUSTIN -- Detectives say they'll be searching for evidence Thursday in the case of a woman missing since 2006.
Roxanne Paltauf was last seen at a motel near Rundberg Lane and Interstate 35 eight years ago. She was 18 at the time. Her family says she and her boyfriend got into an argument and Paltauf walked away from the motel, never to be seen again.
On Thursday federal agents and the Austin Police Department's Homicide Cold Case and Missing Persons Unit will be searching for evidence on Rundberg Lane after receiving some leads in the case.
APD says schools in the area have been notified, and the public will not be in danger.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 11:16:54 AM »

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crime-law/police-new-leads-in-2006-disappearance-of-roxanne-/nd6xJ/
Police: New leads in 2006 disappearance of Roxanne Paltauf in North Austin
March 6, 2014

Investigators have developed new leads in the disappearance of Roxanne Paltauf, who went missing when she was 18 in 2006, Austin police said Thursday.
The department’s homicide cold case and missing-person’s unit and federal authorities will be searching for evidence Thursday at 300 E. Rundberg Lane in North Austin, according to police, several blocks from Barrington Elementary School on Cooper Drive.
School authorities have been notified, officials said.
Paltauf was last seen by her on-and-off boyfriend Louis Walls around 8:30 p.m. on July 7, 2006, police officials have said. The couple had been staying together at the Budget Inn near East Rundberg Lane and Interstate-35, not far from where police are now looking for evidence.
A cold case detective told the American-Statesman in 2011 that Walls said the two had an argument and that she left the hotel without any of her personal property.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news?fId=248755091&fPath=/news/local/&fDomain=10232
APD investigating new leads in woman's 2006 disappearance
March 6, 2014

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 05:30:42 PM »

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crime-law/police-new-leads-in-2006-disappearance-of-roxanne-/nd6xJ/
Officials call off search of North Austin field for remains of Roxanne Paltauf
March 6, 2014

3:30 p.m. update: Nothing has been found after police searched and dug in a North Austin field Thursday for remains of Roxanne Paltauf, who disappeared in 2006.
The case remains open, police said.
Anyone with information regarding Paltauf’s whereabouts can call the cold case/missing-persons unit at 512-974-5250
11:30 a.m. update: Officials are searching a field in North Austin for the remains of Roxanne Paltauf, who disappeared in 2006 when she was 18, police said Thursday.
A tip that police received six months ago led them to the empty lot, where a cadaver dog had twice alerted them to the possible presence of human remains, said Cmdr. Mark Spangler. More cadaver dogs were sent to the field Thursday, and Spangler said that officials are prepared to search past nightfall, if necessary.
There are two particular areas authorities plan to excavate, he said.
The field is off Rundberg Lane between North Creek and Georgian drives.
Earlier:
Investigators have developed new leads in the disappearance of Roxanne Paltauf, who went missing when she was 18 in 2006, Austin police said Thursday.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 08:28:04 AM »

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Police-searching-for-evidence-in-womans-2006-disappearance-248755091.html
Police: No evidence located in case of missing woman
March 6, 2014

AUSTIN -- Detectives say no new evidence has turned up in the case of a woman missing since 2006.
A tip received by officers led them to Rundberg Lane Thursday morning, but after searching and digging in the area, they found nothing. Federal agents were also on hand to help with the search.
Commander of Austin Police Investigations Mark Spangler spoke during the search. "Specifically we are looking for a body, and that’s what the cadaver dogs have hit on, and even though those scent dogs are very highly trained, they don’t always produce results,” said Spangler.
Roxanne Paltauf was last seen at a motel near Rundberg Lane and Interstate 35 eight years ago. She was 18 at the time. Her family says she and her boyfriend got into an argument and Paltauf walked away from the motel, never to be seen again.
“There are more than 160 cold cases that are currently in our unit. We took this case just as seriously as we took all of those 167 cases,” said Spangler.
Spangler says since this tip didn’t reveal any evidence, they'll move on to the next tip. Police have received around 1,000 tips.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 08:35:39 AM »

Dayummmmmm...I have spent countless hours over the years on this case  Sad

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »

Dayummmmmm...I have spent countless hours over the years on this case  Sad

Thank you for all you do Nut.  I hope for her family's sake there can be answers to what happened to Roxanne, and to be able to recover her remains for a decent burial. I believe she's gone from this earth.   She was just a young girl, only 18 when she went missing.  The Rundberg area is such a cesspit.     I don't know if her boyfriend is responsible for her disappearance or not.  Despite Austin's extra patrols and etc., there  is still a lot of crime.  So many of the street people (homeless) have been pushed up toward the north area and away from the Sixth St. entertainment district.  Hotel and motel rooms can be rented hourly (or less).  Despite the task force and money thrown at the area, it's still seedy and crime ridden.   

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 07:34:56 PM »

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2014/07/06/paltauf-search-continues/12269081/
Family marks eight years since daughter went missing
July 6, 2014

AUSTIN -- Eight years after an Austin teenager went missing the search for answers continues.

Roxanne Paltauf was just 18-years-old when she vanished in North Austin in July of 2006.

Family and friends have tried to keep Roxanne's name at the tops of everyone's minds every July since the Austin teen disappeared.

They hand out flyers and bumper stickers bearing Roxanne's picture.

Roxanne's sister Rubi was only 14 when she vanished. She explained one reason why the effort continue. "She'd have been out here for us if one of us went missing, so we didn't want to stop, you know?" said Rubi.

The searches for Roxanne near Rundberg Lane and Interstate 35 began immediately after she disappeared.

Most recently, police thought they had a lead when cadaver dogs picked up a scent in a nearby field in March.

It turned up nothing, but Roxanne's mother Elizabeth Harris says many people saw the headline and mistakenly thought Roxanne was found.

Harris hopes to clear that up by talking to neighbors.

"You think after eight years it would gt a little bit easier," she said."But it seems to be harder because we still have no answers and we've been searching for so long its been hard on the family."

Roxannes then boyfriend told police the pair had an argument while staying at A Budget Inn hotel off East Rundberg Lane and she walked out.

Harris believes there is more to the story.

Harris recently sent a flyer to that man Louis Walls, currently in prison on burglary charges.

Austin police tell KVUE he doesn't have a viable alibi and remains the "biggest question mark" in the case.

Harris said "While he's spending time where he's at, I want him to be thinking about Roxanne. Hopefully he can come forward with the information we need to find her...she was only 18 and bad things happen out there in the world. We just want to find her and bring her home. She deserves it and we love her a lot."

In 2011, the case was handed over to APD's cold case unit.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2015, 10:09:15 PM »

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/29478893/search-for-roxanne-paltauf-continues-after-9-years
Search for Roxanne Paltauf continues after 9 years
July 5, 2015

It's been nearly nine years since Roxanne Paltauf went missing off I35 and East Rundberg Lane.
To this day, her family has never given up hope in finding her.

What happened the night of July 7, 2006 is still a mystery.
"None of it makes sense and that's why we're still out here. You know, it wasn't like she ran away, it wasn't like she took a plane out to Hawaii. Something happened to her that night and we're trying to figure out where she's at," says Rosalynn Paltauf, Roxanne's sister.
18-year-old Roxanne Paltauf was last seen at the Budget Inn off I35 and Rundberg Lane.
It's been almost nine years but the family remembers it as if it were yesterday.
"We were supposed to go shopping at the San Marcos outlet mall. She was supposed to come with us. It was the Fourth of July weekend in 2006. It was really strange that she didn't show up because we were expecting her to be there that morning. That's when we got a phone call a few hours later from her boyfriend saying that he hasn't seen Roxanne," says Rosalynn Paltauf, Roxanne's sister.
At the time, Roxanne's boyfriend told police they had gotten into an argument.
She reportedly stormed out of the hotel room and was never seen or heard from again.

It was March of 2014 when a tip led them to a field in North Austin.
Unfortunately, nothing turned up.

If you have any information about the disappearance of Roxanne Paltauf, you are asked to call Crime Stoppers at 512-472-tips.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2015, 10:12:54 PM »

http://kxan.com/2015/07/05/nine-year-anniversary-for-missing-woman/
Nine year anniversary for missing Austin woman
July 5, 2015

Video at above link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 10:39:01 PM »

http://kxan.com/2017/04/25/woman-says-last-person-to-see-her-sister-alive-still-not-cooperating/
Woman says last person to see her sister alive still not cooperating
April 25, 2017

AUSTIN (KXAN) — On Wednesday it will have been 11 years since an Austin teenager went missing. She and other missing Texans will be honored at the Texas Capitol as part of the first annual Texas Missing Person’s day.

The family of the missing 18-year-old, Roxanne Paltauf, say it’s been a long journey, but are grateful their loved one and others across the state will be honored by legislators.

Paltauf was last seen with her boyfriend on July 7, 2006. They were at the Budget Inn on Rundberg Lane, just west of Interstate 35. Paltauf left the room and hasn’t been seen since, investigators say.

“I was 15, we were supposed be going shopping that Saturday,” Rosa Paltauf, Roxanne’s sister says. She’s now 27 and has spent the past 11 years waiting for answers. “All we have to go on is what her boyfriend said — is that she walked out of the hotel room and was never seen or heard from again.”

Investigators say the couple had an argument and she left her room. “Roxanne didn’t just disappear off the street that night, something happened to Roxanne and someone knows what happened to her,” her sister continued. She says police initially classified her sister as a runaway, which may have hurt the case.

“There’s no evidence, they never looked in the hotel room that they were staying,” Paltauf says. “By [the time they realized she wasn’t a runaway] it was a week or two later, there were so many people in and out of the hotel rooms that all the evidence was lost.”

She says there are many obstacles, but she’s hanging onto hope.

“Her boyfriend was never really cooperative and we don’t have any witnesses, we don’t have any evidence, so we’re kind of going on how we know Roxanne. She wouldn’t just disappear,” Rosa says.

“I love you and will never stop searching for you,” she said, addressing her missing sister. “I’ll bring you home one day and I hope that you’re safe and you’re happy and just know that we’re looking for you.”

Detectives with the missing person’s unit say because this is still an open, active case they can not give more details.

They do say they believe criminal activity was involved.

In 2014, the FBI along with Austin police got a tip about a possible body near the area where Roxanne was last seen. That search turned up nothing.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 01:11:30 PM »

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/missing-austin-womans-family-sets-up-go-fund-me-to-cover-search-efforts
Missing Austin woman's family sets up Go-fund me to cover search efforts
May 23, 2018

https://www.gofundme.com/finding-roxanne-paltauf

The Paltauf family hopes to raise $1,500 to cover fliers, stickers a banner and an appreciation BBQ when they continue their search efforts July 7th.

Video, photos, poster at news link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2018, 11:42:09 AM »

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/search-continues-12-years-later-for-missing-austin-teen/269-571241072
Search continues 12 years later for missing Austin teen
Roxanne Paltauf was last seen July 7, 2006. Since then, tips regarding her disappearance have all fallen short.
July 6, 2018

AUSTIN -- An Austin family's fight to get answers and closure after their daughter's disappearance has remained steadfast for more than a decade.

Roxanne Paltauf was last seen July 7, 2006. Since then, tips and leads regarding her disappearance have all fallen short.

This weekend, loved ones will spend the anniversary of her disappearance as they have done every year: Searching for answers in the area she went missing. On July 7 beginning at 9 a.m., her mother, Elizabeth Harris, will be in the area of Rundberg Lane and North Lamar Boulevard passing out flyers to community members to bring awareness to her daughter's case.

Paltauf vanished under what has been described as "suspicious circumstances" near Rundberg Lane and Interstate 35.

She was just 18 at the time of her disappearance. Paltauf had been with then boyfriend, Louis Walls. The two were staying at a Budget Inn in the area. When questioned, Walls told Austin police that the two had gotten into a argument, that afterward she left and that was the last time he saw her.

"She was a very loving and caring person. She was too trustworthy, I think, and she believed the best in a lot of people and she shouldn't have. And I think maybe that's why she got in that situation with Louis. Why she disappeared," Harris said in an interview with KVUE in July 2017.
According to KVUE media partner, the Austin American Statesman, Austin police have spoken with Walls "many times," but said they have been unable to either eliminate Walls as a suspect or implicate him in Paltauf’s disappearance. No arrests have been made.

In March of 2014 family members had a fleeting moment of hope when officers thought they had a lead after cadaver dogs picked up a scent pertaining to the case. They came up short.

"There is someone out there in Austin that knows what happened to Roxanne that night," said Paltauf's sister, Rosalynn, in the same 2017 interview.

The investigation has been moved to the Austin Police Department Cold Case unit, and remains ongoing.

Video

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 01:52:58 PM »

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/detectives-file-warrant-for-possible-new-evidence-in-roxanne-paltauf-cold-case
Detectives file warrant for possible new evidence in Roxanne Paltauf cold case
May 22, 2019

AUSTIN, Texas (FOX 7 Austin) - Austin police are looking at potential new evidence in a nearly 13-year-old cold case. Roxanne Paltauf was reported missing on July 8, 2006. 

Last week, detectives filed a warrant to obtain her cellphone records after realizing there were possible roaming charges from the night before she disappeared.

“I know her case is solvable and I know people in Austin know what happened to her, so that's what keeps me going,” said Rosalynn Schultz, who has been searching for her sister for almost 13 years.

Since 2006, Paltauf's then-boyfriend, Louis Walls, has said he and Roxanne got in an argument at the Budget Inn off I-35 and Rundberg Lane and she walked out, leaving everything behind.

“She wouldn't have left her phone, her money, her ID, her belongings,” said Schultz.

Detectives said for five days Paltauf’s cellphone was in Walls' possession and during that time he made several calls. At one point, he even reached out to his ex-girlfriend in New Mexico.
He called her and said, ‘I am in trouble, I [expletive] up,’” Schultz said.

Two years later, Paltauf's family requested all her phone records from T-Mobile. Recently, they noticed something else strange from the night before Paltauf was reported missing: several calls resulting in additional charges.

“I've always known that Louis wasn't telling the truth about what happened that night and now, seeing these charges, that I believe are roaming charges, just confirms that he's lying,” said Schultz.

Last week, Austin police detectives reviewed Paltauf's case and realized historical data was never requested from her cell phone provider. So they filed a search warrant for all data and records for Paltauf's phone before, during and after she was reported missing. In that paperwork, they write digital data "could yield evidence to the location of the phone during the night Paltauf disappeared, and possibly assist investigators in locating Paltauf's remains."

“We're after finding Roxanne and bringing her home, and having her home with us, and laying her to rest, and have a place to go and mourn and grieve, and actually go through that grieving process,” Schultz said.

Police said Walls is still considered a suspect and foul play is suspected.

Shultz said she believes detectives will solve the case one day, but she no longer expects to see her sister alive.

“Roxanne’s case is a murder without a body, and we don't have any proof or evidence of a murder and we don't have a body,” said Schultz.

Paltauf's family said it will likely take a few months for the historical cellphone data to get back to detectives.

Anyone with information about Paltauf's case is asked to call the Austin Police Department Homicide Tipline at (512) 477-3588 or Crimestoppers at (512) 472-TIPS.

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.