March 28, 2024, 10:46:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going back to school after 30 years!  (Read 3964 times)
lexie
Scared Monkey

« on: July 21, 2007, 01:36:54 AM »

I think many of you know I have had custody of my grandson since he was an infant.  He started kindergarten in 2005, and this year will be in 2nd grade.  I have done a lot of volunteer work with his school the past two years.  My granddaughters (GS's half-sister and cousin) both start kindergarten this year... August 9.  

My first observations were how SMART these kids are!  A large number of these kids have 2 working parents and have been in daycare and preschool programs since age 6 weeks.  They have so many more tech advances than our kids.  Many of them knew all the letter sounds, abc's and numbers to 100 before ever entering kindergarten.  One girl in my grandson's class used to sit at the lunch table with her mother and practice multiplication tables!  They don't even learn that in class till grade 3.

I taught in what was called "target schools" in the early 1970's.  This was just after desegregation, and there was a definite divide in white and black family life and expectations.  Many of my 2nd graders missed two days of school a week to baby-sit younger siblings while parents worked.  They could not access good, affordable child care.  I am beginning to see the "full circle" with some of the kids at school.  Sadly, many of them raise themselves.  Some have such young parents, with little clue as to what kids need .
lexie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 01:47:11 AM »

While my generation grew up in an age pf personal responsibility, the younger parents are, the less responsible they seem to be.  Many have given these preschoolers no discipline, and when they get into trouble, blame teachers, the system, anyone but themselves.

I am amazed at the number of 1st graders who had tv, game boxes, phones, and computers IN THEIR BEDROOMS at home... and no limits or supervision when they used them.  As a result, some come to school with that "world revolves around me" attitude.

Our schools here have a very structured program of character education and teaching kids from kindergarten to make good choices.  There are still some discipline problems, even in K-1, but much less than in older grades.  They also stress accelerated reading and phonics, which went by the wayside for many years in education.

The kids are great!  They are bright, articulate and, for the most part, well-behaved.  (Sometimes it is the parents who need the discipline!! LOL)  We had one father last year who was more immature than his 6 year old.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 01:54:05 AM »

Lexie,
Thank you for the insights!  Do you feel as if kids are no longer allowed to be kids when they are young?

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
lexie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 02:13:46 AM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"
Lexie,
Thank you for the insights!  Do you feel as if kids are no longer allowed to be kids when they are young?

I have seen two distinct groups.  One group has their kids in all kinds of activities, so they (kids and parents) are run ragged trying to make all the practices and recitals.  There is not much time for kids to just be kids, or to spend quality time with family.

The other group are those kids of parents who are either too self-absorbed to worry about what their kids need, or, who pretty much expect their kids develop on their own.  These latter kids can count money, fix breakfast for themselves, walk to stores, etc. when they come to kindergarten.  The first group are those with parents who are concerned with their own wants first, and the kids always come last.  

We had lots of kids, though, who were so immature at 5, that they had to be taken out of kindergarten and started a year later.  Some of them had been at home, no experience with play groups or other children, and just did not do well in the structured class setting.  Many still threw tantrums when they did not get their way.  Some may have legitimate behavioral issues...but I can see where inadequate parenting was the root of many of their problems.  

You know, high schoolers now have so many other activities that few babysit, or help with younger children.  They have no experience with kids, then, marry young and have children right away.

It is really sad to see some of the interactions of parents with these young children... guilt trips, berating them, ignoring them.  Some have very little interaction with their children.  The kids sure suffer.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 03:14:18 AM »

Lexie this is just so interesting, and I hope you continue to add to this thread as time permits.
I do not have children but I am very interested in how education is progressing as there are so many signs here as to a lack of the basic subjects such as spelling, maths etc.  Some of our educators appear to be going back to methods used years ago to reintroduce some form of basics.
My niece's children have a good attitude to school except for one who told me she does not like anyone telling her what to do!  She is in for a big shock when she ventures into the real world and finds that wherever you go and whatever you choose to do there is always someone in a position to tell you what to do. I  told her once that I am no longer young enough to know everything.  You can imagine the look I got!
I have also observed younger workmates who had very out there attitudes to their children's upbringing and are now years later reaping the "rewards" with some very painful lessons.
It seems to be a constant battle for some between the home and outside influences.  It would be an ideal world where there was total agreement in educating our children who are our future and the ones that will be determining our fate in the years to come.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
lexie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 02:26:57 PM »

Quote from: "Tibrogargan"
Lexie this is just so interesting, and I hope you continue to add to this thread as time permits.
I do not have children but I am very interested in how education is progressing as there are so many signs here as to a lack of the basic subjects such as spelling, maths etc.  Some of our educators appear to be going back to methods used years ago to reintroduce some form of basics.
My niece's children have a good attitude to school except for one who told me she does not like anyone telling her what to do!  She is in for a big shock when she ventures into the real world and finds that wherever you go and whatever you choose to do there is always someone in a position to tell you what to do. I  told her once that I am no longer young enough to know everything.  You can imagine the look I got!
I have also observed younger workmates who had very out there attitudes to their children's upbringing and are now years later reaping the "rewards" with some very painful lessons.
It seems to be a constant battle for some between the home and outside influences.  It would be an ideal world where there was total agreement in educating our children who are our future and the ones that will be determining our fate in the years to come.

I think we are seeing many parents "reaping" the harvest of lack of structure, lack of rules, lack of responsibility.  And some of them blame the school or teacher because their children cannot get along in a group, cannot accept authority, etc.  As many of us older parents found out, if you cannot control a 4 year old, what will you have when you find yourself on the receiving end of a 14 year old!  In education, I think we are seeing a revival of some of the old "tried and true" attitudes.  One problem is that many of our children do not have sufficient regard for authority even at home.  One of my pet peeves has always been sassy children!  I know I made lots of mistakes with my girls (31 yr old twins) but they were taught to be polite and to respect anyone older than they were.  I have tried to instilll the same in my grandson.  His teachers have commented on how polite and well-behaved he is.  We are still working on the talking back and arguing from time to time.

I have seen parents who are completely ruled by their children.  They never wanted to tell them "no"... my brother raised his son that way... did not want to "break his spirit".  That attitude did come back to bite them when he hit the adolescent "attitude" (you know the one that is issued by Public Safety along with the drivers' license!  LOL   Laughing )
lexie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 02:34:04 PM »

Tib,
I meant to add also, that we are seeing educators going back to basics.  I was taught to read using phonics, and always was a good reader.  My daughters were taught sight words, at a time when phonics were not stressed, and have always been somewhat weaker in reading and spelling than math and science.  Now, we see primary grades again teaching reading by phonics, and producing stronger readers.  When I taught 30 years ago, we were teaching "new math".  I always found it somewhat confusing, using 11 to represent a lot of different numbers, depending on what "base" system you were counting in.  They have scrapped that concept and gone back to basic math.  What we are seeing is an emphasis on math concepts, pre-algebra and abstract math skills as early as first grade.  I think these kids will have stronger math backgrounds than some of the previous generations.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 03:11:52 PM »

Lexie, I agree with Tib... this is fascinating... and I don't have kids either... I do have a lot of kids in my life though!

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
lexie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 12:40:26 AM »

I do not know if "fascinating" is my definition LOLOLOL!  Since I have not taught in over 30 years, there is a little trepidation.  But I have loved the volunteer work the past couple of years.  Until now, I have had the preschool granddaughter(s) while their moms work and go to school.  

When I made the application with the temp agency who staffs, I was surprised to learn that most of the subs have no training in education, the minimum requirement is 2 years college.  They seemed to be really pleased to get someone with ed background.  

It is a good choice for me, to supplement my retirement, but also allow me some flexibility to help out with my parents, as well as to be home with grandkids when they are sick, school holidays and after school.  

I will say that most of the teachers I have worked with over the past couple of years have a real commitment to teaching.  They are enthusiastic and very encouraging toward the students.  I hope that my grandchildren continue to have teachers like this as he goes into higher grades.
lexie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 12:52:41 AM »

I thought about some of the biggest changes in school systems since I went to school.  Our state has mandatory state kindergarten, so kids start a year earlier learning colors, numbers, etc.  We actually have some kids leaving K who are reading on 1st and 2nd grade level.  Here, they have to be at 1.6 (lst grade, 6th month) reading level to be promoted to 2nd grade.  

Dick, Jane and Sally have given way to more exciting reading materials.  There are science and social studies lessons built into the reading programs.  Kindergarten and 1st graders have a journal that they write in regularly at school.  Journal entries are creative writing...they are given a topic to write about.  They spell phonetically till 2nd grade, which makes for some comical reading  in the journals.

This year, my grandson's 1st grade class studied marsupials and other nocturnal aminals most of the year.  One day, I went to have lunch with him, and all the boys in the class wanted to tell me, "I touched throw-up"... I was grossed out... The teacher had provided bat pellets (the extra stomach contents usually regurgitated).  The kids worked in pairs to cut open the pellets to see what kind of bones, feathers, etc. the owl had eaten.  

And, for class pet, instead of the class hamster, his classroom had a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach !!   Shocked  Shocked  I did not spend any time petting that one!
lexie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 01:08:20 AM »

Another change I have noticed is the lack of male teachers and administration.  When I taught, ALL the principals were male in our district.  When my girls went through school here, they did not have a male teacher until Jr. High, although most of the principals were male.  Up to this year, our kids could go all the way to Jr. High, never having a male authority figure.  Most of the principals are now women, former teachers, and in our state there are a large number of female superintendents, including our district.  

Our schools are graded.  Last year, there were 765 enrolled in K-1. These kids will move together to 2-3, 4-5 etc and all attend one high school.  There are no longer "neighborhood" schools like I attended growing up.  I think this does reduce some of the problems with bullying and teasing, since students are all about the same age and maturity level.
lexie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 01:12:08 AM »

We are 6 weeks into the school year, so I thought I would report back on my part time work as a substitute.  I DO LOVE IT!  I do not think I could go back to 5 days a week, but this way I have a different class every day, and can work when I want and NOT work when I don't.  So far, they have had me in grades, 1, 2, 3 and 2nd grade special ed (inclusion class).  I am amazed at these kids.  This week, I had 3rd graders for the first time.  These kids had "platoon leaders". 2nd grade has "group managers".  K & 1 kids work in centers, rotating from one activity to another very independently.  It is amazing to watch.  The teachers have left excellent lesson plans, but I have also found that I can "wing it" when actitivities finish early. 

These teachers are really dedicated, and we have some excellent ones in our schools.  They are enthusiastic and bring lots of extras into the classroom.  The class I was in today had a corn snake, a gecko and three kinds of tree frogs as class pets. (Thank goodness it was not the day to feed the snake!)  That is done by the Biology Platoon.  LOL. This teacher's husband is a herpatologist (sp?) and has all kinds of snakes.

In addition to the sub work, I am still doing some volunteer work at the grandson's school... last month, it was a luau to cap off a unit on Hawaii, and counting $$ for the school fundraiser.  I have been reading and keeping up in the MP and NH threads, but some days I do not even get to do that.

Over the next few weeks, I will teach all the K-1 art classes one day, and have a class of autistic pre-schoolers, in addition to the regular classes.  Have told them, though, DO NOT GIVE ME MUSIC CLASS!  LOL.

So far, it has been enjoyable work.  There are a few unruly ones in every grade, but, for the most part, these younger ones want to please, and want to do well.   
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 10:05:35 PM »

Thanks for checking in and updating us... wow! school seems so much more exciting these days...

I loved school though.. actually if I ever dind a way to go to school and be paid for it, I would get about 100 different degrees..

Keep the stories coming!

SarahD
Scared Monkey

Never give up!

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 08:04:51 AM »

Lexie,  What a great adventure you are having!  I've enjoyed reading your insights on our elementary school system.   It's change a lot since I was in school.

It's good to hear the amount of dedication toward their pupils that the teachers today have.   I'm sure it can sometimes be trying, but very rewarding work.

Thank you TEACHERS!

Have a Sunshine Day!
lexie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 05:51:28 PM »

This week has been interesting.  Have found out I am too old to sub for p.e.  Laughing  Class size is 50+ for each k-1 p.e. class (2 teacher classes at a time).  This is the only way they can provide p.e. twice a week for 750+ students.  The activities themselves were not that bad, just lots of stooping and squatting, which I have difficulty doing on arthritic knees.

I am more and more impressed with the teachers in this school district.  Many of them do not miss a single day of school in the 180 day school year.  Most LOVE their jobs, and the kids they teach. 

My grandkids are loving school, and that makes it easier for us at home to encourage them to do more reading, math activities, etc.

lexie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 05:58:37 PM »

Last week I was in a 3rd grade class.  I will tell you, other than being there to keep order, I think those kids could have run the class themselves.  They worked independently, moving from one assignment to the next, and knew when to prepare for art, music, etc.  There was a new student in the class that day.  One student was the designated "New Student Helper", and had already started getting books, notebooks and supplies labeled for the new student when I arrived.  She sat with her all day, answering questions about procedures, class activities, etc.  I was very impressed.

There are still some children who are problems in the classroom.  They range from those who believe they are smarter than everyone else, and want to show it... to those who refuse to do the work or act out to get attention.  The fact that I have known many of these kids since kindergarten in my volunteer work makes me able to call them by name and tell them what I expect from them from the beginning.  And, most will cooperate with that kind of attention. 

Our worst experience last week was the new fire alarm system just installed in the new K-1 school.  There was a faulty alarm that went off every 10-15 minutes from 4 a.m. until they got it fixed about noon.  My class, however, got a good definition, and practice in using the word "disregard"  Laughing
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.