March 28, 2024, 12:36:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man Arrested After Decomposed Bodies Found In Barrel, INDIANA (SOLVED)  (Read 11196 times)
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« on: September 17, 2007, 08:26:24 AM »

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/14122856/detail.html
Warning:  GUY IS REALLY CREEPY IN VIDEO

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Two decomposed bodies sealed in steel barrels were found late Friday on the property of a rural Monroe County man who faces a preliminary murder charge, police said.

Jerry E. Pelfree (pictured) was being held Saturday evening in Monroe County Jail without bond.

Medical examinations will be conducted Monday morning to help make a positive identification on the bodies. Bloomington police Capt. Joe Qualters said they believe one may be a man who was reported missing in July.  

Monroe County Sheriff's Capt. Kenny Barnes said the other may be a missing Owen County man. They declined to name the missing men until their identities are confirmed.
Brown County Sheriff Buck Stogsdill said he received a phone call Wednesday afternoon from an acquaintance who claimed to have information about two killings and the location of the bodies. Stogsdill said the unnamed informant told him he may have witnessed one of the killings "sometime last spring."

"He basically told us the whole story -- where it occurred, where the bodies were at, and that they were in barrels, which proved to be true," Stogsdill said. "He kind of relayed like that it had been laid upon him by God to reveal this."

Bloomington police's Critical Incident Response Team went to the site and served a warrant Friday afternoon. They found the steel-drum barrels about 100 yards from Pelfree's home.

"Several vehicles, weapons, and drugs also were confiscated from the residence.

"It would have been a pretty grisly find, I would imagine," said Gerald Messell, who lives nearby. "I wouldn't have wanted to have found it. He (Pelfree) seemed normal to me. (He would go) in and out and wave."

Edit to add "solved" to subject title.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:21:25 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Maine, born and raised!
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 10:25:18 AM »

I've searched the missing and exploited websites and there are no males reported missing from Indiana in July......

Maine, born and raised!
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 09:14:40 AM »

I've searched the missing and exploited websites and there are no males reported missing from Indiana in July......

Just a thought MsVada.. Monroe county, Indiana would only be an hour or so drive from Ohio, Illinois and probably less from Kentucky.
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:21:50 AM »

Oh, I didnt know that,  The paper did state they were pretty sure one could be someone missing from Owen county, the other one reported missing in July.

As long as these poor men get identities and a proper burial,  that would be good.

Maine, born and raised!
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 11:52:25 AM »

Oh, I didnt know that,  The paper did state they were pretty sure one could be someone missing from Owen county, the other one reported missing in July.

As long as these poor men get identities and a proper burial,  that would be good.

Sorry MsVada, guess I need to read more carefully.  Found an article that said both men had been identified and that Pelfree had spent time in prison.  You needed to subscribe to read the entire stories!  Also told police, when asked what he did when he got mad...I kill people!  Scary people out there!
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 03:09:59 PM »

MuminOhio

Glad he's behind bars.  Can you imagine the audacity of that creep, to come out with such a blunt answer,  I kill people.....so how many more has he killed?

MsVada

Maine, born and raised!
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 03:14:19 PM »

MuminOhio

Glad he's behind bars.  Can you imagine the audacity of that creep, to come out with such a blunt answer,  I kill people.....so how many more has he killed?

MsVada

MsVada, I googled his name and there was a site Wave3 something with his picture on it.  He is creepy looking.  I'm sorry I don't know how to bring the links over here. Sad
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 03:16:53 PM »

posted on a blog site regarding the identity of one of the bodies.....Not sure if its true or not as the only place that has info is a pay site......

Eric Shaw Says:
September 18th, 2007 at 8:36 pm
I would like to say that my brother was one of the bodies in the barrels. His name was Everett Shaw. We the family and friends will remember his memories on Saturday 9-22-07 @ 2 pm in Martinsville Indiana city park. I would like to ask if there is any help out there to make sure Mr. Pelfree can not get out and do this again, to anyone elses Brother, or Father. My brother leaves two sons, and two daughters without a father.

Maine, born and raised!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2007/09/17/news.qp-5831144.sto?printf=1
Bodies in barrels identified
By Bethany Nolan and James Boyd 331-4373 | bnolan@heraldt.com, 331-4370 | jboyd@heraldt.com
September 17, 2007
The remains of two men found dead in barrels at a rural home over the weekend were identified today as Douglas Allen Brown and Everett Lynn Shaw. Both were shot in the head.

Shaw, 34, was reported missing from his Gosport home in March. Brown, of Bloomington, was reported missing to Bloomington police over the summer.

The suspect in the killings, 51-year-old Jerry E. Pelfree, appeared in Monroe Circuit Court this afternoon. During a brief hearing before senior judge Douglas “Randy” Bridges, Pelfree was told he faces two count of murder. He’s being held without bail in the Monroe County Jail and was ordered to return to court Tuesday for an initial hearing on the charges.

Pelfree appeared in the courtroom wearing a black-and-white striped jumpsuit, his hair standing out wildly. He did not speak.

Local attorney Ron Chapman appeared with him, but didn’t return a call seeking comment on his handling of the case.

Court records released by the Monroe County prosecutor’s office this afternoon reveal what investigators believe happened sometime this past spring.

Pelfree, an informant, Brown and Shaw had apparently been involved in acquiring a stolen “gator,” a small all-terrain vehicle, possibly in late March.

After they received the gator, the four men stayed with each other for several days, mostly at Pelfree’s residence on West Ison Road.

Brown had been dating Pelfree’s daughter, Michelle Ritter, and had reportedly threatened to kill Ritter over their breakup, court records show.

The informant later told detectives that Brown — at the time — was “volatile and a legitimate danger.”

For a few days after the gator was brought in, the four men all remained at Pelfree’s property.

That’s where the informant and Shaw were repairing a car.

“Pelfree came out of his mobile home, and called (the informant) and Shaw to come to him,” the court records said. “Pelfree had a .22-caliber rifle in his hand.”

As the two men approached, “Pelfree raised the rifle and shot Shaw in the head. (The informant) said Pelfree shot him several times, all in the head.”

When the informant went inside Pelfree’s residence, he saw Brown slumped on the living room couch, dead of a gunshot wound to the head.

Pelfree asked the informant to help him move the bodies and place them in a 55-gallon drum and a 35-gallon drum.

After finding that they didn’t fit, Pelfree “used a maul to break the bodies down so they fit,” the records show. A maul is a heavy, long-handled hammer used for splitting wood. One side looks like a sledge hammer, the other side an axe.

The informant then helped Pelfree move the barrels, eventually placing them in the back of a red box truck that was also sitting on Pelfree’s property.

Friday afternoon, after the informant told detectives about the killings, detectives served a search warrant on Pelfree’s property.

That’s where they found “the bucket,” what Pelfree referred to as the two barrels containing the dismembered bodies.

Inside the 35-gallon drum they found a human skull, with black hair, and “numerous bones.”

When they opened the 55-gallon drum, it was the same sight: mostly skeletal remains with some flesh tissue, the records show.

By that time Pelfree was sitting in the back of a Monroe County Sheriff’s Department squad car, having been placed in handcuffs while detectives searched his property.

As they were finding the bodies, Pelfree told the deputy guarding him that he was going to sleep.

He did.

Pelfree was next taken to the Monroe County Jail, where, like all other incoming inmates, he was given a quick psychological test.

When a correctional officer asked Pelfree what he did when he got mad, Pelfree replied “I KILL PEOPLE!” the records said.

The human remains found in the barrels were identified during a medical examination Monday morning in Terre Haute, using descriptions from family members. Authorities had believed they knew the identities of both men all along, based on missing persons reports filed for both men, and the detailed account given by the informant.

Bullet holes were discovered in the skulls of both men.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 06:13:33 PM »

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/14135979/detail.html
Police Identify Remains In Barrels, Offer Motive
1 Victim Threatened Suspect's Daughter, Authorities Say

POSTED: 7:03 pm EDT September 17, 2007
UPDATED: 7:36 pm EDT September 17, 2007
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Police said Monday they believe two men whose remains were found stuffed into steel barrels were shot months ago after one of them threatened the daughter of the man arrested in the case.

Jerry Pelfree

Autopsies identified the remains as those of Douglas A. Brown (pictured, left), 23, of Bloomington, and Everett L. Shaw (pictured, right), 35, of Gosport, police said Monday.

Authorities found the remains Friday on the Bloomington-area property of Jerry "Pops" Pelfree, who was arrested on a preliminary charge of murder. Police said an inmate in the Monroe County Jail -- a nephew of Brown County Sheriff Buck Stogsdill -- claimed he witnessed one of the killings and told investigators where to find the bodies.
"He kind of relayed that it had been laid upon him by God to reveal this," Stogsdill said of his tipster nephew.

According to a probable cause affidavit, Brown had a failed relationship with Pelfree's daughter and threatened to kill her over the breakup, 6News' Ben Morriston reported.

"(Brown) was making comments to Mr. Pelfree -- or Mr. Pelfree had heard about his comments -- where he had made threats, and I don't think this sat well with Mr. Pelfree," said James Kennedy, the sheriff of Monroe County, which includes Bloomington.
Police said they believe Pelfree, 51, shot Brown in a mobile home and later shot Shaw -- both in the spring -- with a .22-caliber rifle. Authorities said they found several .22-caliber casings in the barrels that contained the remains.

[Jerry Pelfree]
Jerry Pelfree

Drugs and allegations of stolen property also were factors in the shootings, police said.

The informant told investigators that Pelfree used a maul on the bodies to make them fit into the barrels, police said.

Pelfree made a brief appearance in a Monroe County court Monday, and he is expected to appear again Tuesday. His defense attorney said prosecutors are trying to decide what penalty to seek.

Pelfree was being held Monday in solitary confinement in the Monroe County jail without opportunity for bail.

Kennedy said Pelfree hasn't been talking to investigators, except for a response to a question as to what he did when he gets angry.

"He said, 'I kill people,'" Kennedy said.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 06:19:43 PM »

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/19076301/detail.html
Man Gets 130-Year Sentence In Barrel Body Deaths
Judge: Man's Actions 'Shocking To The Conscience'

POSTED: 12:39 pm EDT April 2, 2009
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- A southern Indiana man convicted of shooting two men in the head and then hiding their bodies in drums near his rural home has been sentenced to 130 years in prison.

A Monroe County judge on Thursday sentenced Jerry Pelfree, 52, to two consecutive 65-year terms.

Jurors in February convicted Pelfree on two counts of murder in the slayings of Everett Lynn Shaw, 35, of Gosport, and Douglas Allen Brown, 23, of Bloomington.
heir dismembered, decaying bodies were found in September 2007 inside steel-drum barrels near Pelfree's mobile home a few miles outside Bloomington.

Judge Marc Kellams said that the treatment of the bodies was "so disagreeable to the senses of human dignity that it is shocking to the conscience."

According to police accounts, Pelfree, Shaw, Brown and Harden -- the man who told investigators about the killings -- obtained a stolen all-terrain vehicle in March 2007.

Harden said he and the others spent several days at Pelfree's rural property driving the ATV around and repairing a car. Then, one day Pelfree emerged from his trailer carrying a .22-caliber rifle, called to Shaw and shot him several times in the head without warning, police said.

Harden said that when he went inside the trailer, he found Brown sitting upright on the couch, dead from a gunshot to the head.

According to court documents, Harden said he and Pelfree then moved the bodies to the barrels, but that when they would not fit inside, "Pelfree used a maul to break the bodies down so they fit."

Later, another man arrived and helped Pelfree load the barrels into the cargo hold of a box truck parked on the property. When police officers later secured a search warrant, they reported finding the barrels adjacent to the red truck, about 80 yards away from the mobile home.

Shaw, a father of seven, had last been seen leaving his home in March 2007, while Brown, who had dated Pelfree's daughter, was reported missing in the summer of 2007.

Every prisoner booked into jail is asked a series of questions to help assess his or her mental status. When a jailer asked Pelfree what happens when he gets mad, his response was unexpected.

"I kill people," he said, according to authorities.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.