March 28, 2024, 04:39:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seattle Trolley Line "SLUT"  (Read 3138 times)
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« on: September 19, 2007, 07:32:09 AM »

OK,  This one takes the prize for over the top!!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/18/ap/strange/main3273057.shtml

Seattle Trolley Line Has Acronym: SLUT
New Seattle Trolley Line Has Acronym SLUT; It Stands For South Lake Union Trolley

SEATTLE, Sep. 18, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) Officially, it's the South Lake Union Streetcar. But in the neighborhood where the new line runs, it's called the South Lake Union Trolley _ or, the SLUT. At Kapow! Coffee, a shop in the old Cascade neighborhood, 100 T-shirts bearing the words "Ride the SLUT" sold out in days, and another 100 are on order.

"We're welcoming the SLUT into the neighborhood," said Jerry Johnson, 29, a part-time barista.

Some claim _ incorrectly, according to representatives of Vulcan Inc., the company that is developing the area _ that South Lake Union Trolley was the original name and that it was changed when officials belatedly realized the acronym.

The $50.5 million project should be completed with streetcars running in December. Underlying the lighthearted opposition, however, is resentment over changes in the old working-class neighborhood.

"There was a meeting with representatives from the city several years ago," Johnson recalled.

"They asked us, 'What we could do for you?' Most people raised their hands and said, 'Affordable housing,'" he said. "Then the people from the city huddled together _ 'whisper, whisper, whisper,' _ and they said, 'How about a trolley?'"

Since then, Cascade has been ignored in Vulcan brochures that lump the neighborhood together with Denny Park and Denny Triangle under the term South Lake Union. With the streetcar, said Don Clifton, a Cascade resident, "We learned how fun it is to change the name of things."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material

Maine, born and raised!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 08:34:59 AM »

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
FoolsGold
Scared Monkey

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 08:13:10 AM »

The $50.5 million project should be completed with streetcars running in December.
No matter what the acronym, the landlords along its route will be happy at the expenditure of 50 million dollars to provide transportation to their tenants.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 08:44:08 AM »

The $50.5 million project should be completed with streetcars running in December.
No matter what the acronym, the landlords along its route will be happy at the expenditure of 50 million dollars to provide transportation to their tenants.
Fools ~ I guess they could call it the mine line then.  As in gold mine... Laughing Laughing

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 07:45:07 PM »

Fools ~ I guess they could call it the mine line then.  As in gold mine... Laughing Laughing

This is one SLUT that's not cheap Laughing

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 01:20:09 PM »

I think its great.  I miss the old trolleys we used to have here in Portland Maine.  The tracks are still around, but the cars are long gone. 

We even have a "Trolley Museum" in the Kennebunk area.....Its really cool. 

And I knew there'd be a few jokesters to comment on the acronym.  It is funny.

Maine, born and raised!
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 01:21:27 PM »

I can tell you that when I was young, I referred to a girl at school as a slut and got my mouth smacked by my Mother!     She hates that word.

Maine, born and raised!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.