March 28, 2024, 11:38:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 million Graco, Simplicity cribs recalled in U.S.  (Read 3420 times)
sharon
Monkey Junky

« on: September 21, 2007, 01:42:56 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20907633/

1 million Graco, Simplicity cribs recalled in U.S.
Deaths of at least three babies linked to furniture made in China

MSNBC News Services

Updated: 18 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - About 1 million Simplicity and Graco cribs are being recalled after three children became entrapped in their cribs and died of suffocation, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Friday.

Two infants, a 6-month-old and a 9-month-old, died in the recalled cribs, which were sold through May 2007. A 1-year-old child died in a newer model of the cribs, which has not been recalled but is being investigated by the safety agency, CPSC officials said.

CPSC spokesman Ed Kang would not comment on when or where the children died. Simplicity spokesman Joe Householder said the company will not release further details about the deaths out of respect for the families.

In all three deaths, the consumer had installed the drop-rail side of the crib upside down, the CPSC said. This creates a gap in the crib that children can slide into and suffocate.

Seven other infants have been entrapped in the cribs, according to the CPSC. There have been 55 reports of the cribs' drop sides detaching or the hardware failing to hold the side to the crib.

Simplicity Inc., of Reading, Pa., is listed as manufacturer of all the cribs, which were made in China. The recalled cribs were sold nationwide, under the Simplicity or Graco brands, from January 1998 through May 2007. The recall involves multiple models and models numbers.

None of the cribs that Simplicity currently supplies to stores is included in the recall, the company said in a statement.

But CPSC is telling consumers who have the newer versions not covered by the recall to check to make sure the drop side is installed right side up and securely attached.

Consumers who have a Simplicity-made crib with older style hardware can receive a free repair by calling the company or visiting its Web site. For more information, consumers can contact Simplicity at 888-593-9274.

The recalled Simplicity crib models include:

Aspen 3 in 1
Aspen 4 in 1
Nursery-in-a-Box
Crib N Changer Combo
Chelsea
Pooh 4 in 1.
The recall also involves the following Simplicity-made cribs that were sold with the Graco logo:

Ultra 3 in 1
Ultra 4 in 1
Ultra 5 in 1
Whitney
Trio.

(c) Reuters 2007. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
MumInOhio
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 02:25:07 PM »

Thanks Sharon, DH cousins have 3 new grandbabies born since June, so gave them a call.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 06:46:50 PM »

Houston Family Sues Over Crib Death
Click2Houston.com
Updated: 7:13 p.m. CT Sept 22, 2007
 feel like we followed the instructions to the best of our ability," said Arceneaux.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20921175/
HOUSTON - A Houston-area couple sued a crib-maker after their daughter died while sleeping in one of their products, KPRC Local 2 reported Friday. "She was just precious, my princess," said Tami Arceneaux.
Arceneaux never imagined putting her 7-month-old daughter, Royale, to bed in her Simplicity crib would put her little life in danger, but now the family is filing a lawsuit against the company for her death in February.

Her lawyer said the crib did not come with instructions. The family wrote Simplicity and had a manual mailed, but when it arrived, the lawyer said there was a major problem.

"There's no mention anywhere on this page telling consumers installing the drop rail that there is a top and bottom," attorney Mark Weycer said.

"I feel like we followed the instructions to the best of our ability," said Arceneaux.

Without knowing it, the Arceneauxs put the drop rail on upside-down and because of that, they said a hinge broke. That allowed a gap between the mattress and the rail. That gap is where they said Royale suffocated to death with her head against the mattress.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission recalled more than one million cribs made by Simplicity, also using the Graco logo, because the drop rail can become detached.

"If you are a parent who has this type of crib, check immediately to see if it's one being recalled. If it is, don't put your child in that crib tonight," said Patty Davis of the CPSC.
(snipped)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
SarahD
Scared Monkey

Never give up!

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 08:28:28 AM »

It amazes me that we (our government) is still allowing imports from China.   Toys with lead paint, defective cribs, tainted bogus toothpastes, dog food made with melamine, etc. 

What does it take for our government to STOP all imports from China?  I started writing to all the companies that make products I purchase and I tell them that I will not buy their product if it is made in China.   I'll pay more for Made in the USA.   

Have a Sunshine Day!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.