April 18, 2024, 06:13:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nailah Franklin missing in Chicago 9/18/07(BODY FOUND)  (Read 177115 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #220 on: October 18, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »

Is this case going to end up tossed out because Reginald Pott's didn't get a speedy trial?  (even though it's through his own doing?)  A hundred court appearances?  Where is the justice for Nailah and her family?  What a waste of resources!  I do believe everyone is entitled to a fair trial. This looks like it's really an abuse of the system.  JMHO

I was really surprised when I got this alert from google. I thought, wow, I haven't seen that name in awhile. I expected his trial to be over a long time ago.

I think that if all the delays are caused by him, he can't claim that he didn't get a speedy trial. He would rather stay in the local jail, close to family, and people he knows. He knows that once he is sent to prison it is all over. But, I agree, enough is enough

Hopefully, the wheels of justice will get back on track and roll on down the line... 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #221 on: October 19, 2014, 09:05:57 PM »

Is this case going to end up tossed out because Reginald Pott's didn't get a speedy trial?  (even though it's through his own doing?)  A hundred court appearances?  Where is the justice for Nailah and her family?  What a waste of resources!  I do believe everyone is entitled to a fair trial. This looks like it's really an abuse of the system.  JMHO

I was really surprised when I got this alert from google. I thought, wow, I haven't seen that name in awhile. I expected his trial to be over a long time ago.

I think that if all the delays are caused by him, he can't claim that he didn't get a speedy trial. He would rather stay in the local jail, close to family, and people he knows. He knows that once he is sent to prison it is all over. But, I agree, enough is enough

Hopefully, the wheels of justice will get back on track and roll on down the line... 

2 4 1
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2014, 03:51:41 AM »

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #223 on: October 25, 2015, 06:07:21 PM »

Nailah Franklin's accused killer goes on trial 8 years after her death

Written By Rummana Hussain Posted: 10/25/2015, 10:52am
 CHICAGO SUN-TIMES

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1038323/nailah-franklin-murder-trial-begins

For a few days, stacks of fliers with Nailah Franklin’s smiling face served as a reminder of the need to highlight the disappearance of women of color.

When the pharmaceutical rep’s naked, decomposed body was found covered in leaves in Calumet City later that fall in 2007, she also became another tragic statistic.

This week — eight years later — Franklin’s on-and-off ex-boyfriend, Reginald Potts, finally will stand trial for her brutal murder.

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #224 on: October 26, 2015, 07:59:51 PM »

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151026/west-loop/after-8-years-reginald-potts-stand-trial-for-nailah-franklin-murder

After 8 Years, Reginald Potts to Stand Trial for Nailah Franklin Murder

By Erica Demarest | October 26, 2015 6:25am
@ericademarest

COOK COUNTY CRIMINAL COURTHOUSE — It's been more than eight years since Nailah Franklin was found dead in southeast suburban Calumet City, her body naked and starting to decompose.

The West Loop pharmaceutical rep had been reported missing on Sept. 17, 2007, CBS Chicago reported. Though friends and family launched a high-profile search — complete with rallies, fliers and televised pleas — Franklin wasn't found dumped in the woods until nine days later.

Reginald Potts, a man she briefly dated, was charged with murder in December 2007 and held without bail.

Now, after years of delays, Potts is finally expected to stand trial this week.

Since Potts was first charged, the 38-year-old has hired and fired several attorneys — and even tried to represent himself on more than one occasion. According to a Tribune investigation, Potts has racked up more than 200 infractions inside the Cook County Jail as he awaits trial.

Court records show Potts also has been hit with additional felony charges of damaging government property, obstructing justice and attacking multiple peace officers.

While most murder cases go to trial within two years, state officials told the Tribune, the combined disciplinary issues and changes in his legal representation have created repeated delays in Potts' case.

When Potts petitioned to represent himself in 2008, he told Cook County Judge Thomas Gainer Jr. he hoped for a speedy trial.

"I'm not guilty of this," Potts reportedly said during the October 2008 interaction. "I don't want to sit in jail for two more years."

"I think you are making a horrible, horrible mistake that could end up costing you your life," Gainer told Potts, according to the Tribune, which covered the hearing. "Do you understand that?"

Potts reportedly told the judge he had no legal experience, but could access the Cook County Jail law library once a week.

Though Potts was granted permission to represent himself, he later changed his mind. He has been represented by a public defender since October 2014, court records show.

Jury selection for Potts' trial is expected to begin Monday.

For Franklin's relatives, the trial can't come quickly enough.

“It’s been very hard, day to day," sister Ashley Chappell Rice told CBS Chicago last year. "It’s like she was snatched right from out of our lives."

Franklin's father died three years ago, without ever having seen justice.

"I really think he died of a broken heart," sister Lehia Franklin Acox said in a Tribune interview last year. "Nailah was the apple of his eye. He couldn't wrap his head around why she even knew somebody who could do something like this." 

2 4 1
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #225 on: October 26, 2015, 11:14:44 PM »

Thanks for the update SuzieQ!   

I hope this family will finally have justice, it's been too long. 

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #226 on: October 29, 2015, 04:33:41 PM »

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1056037/nailah-franklin-boyfriend-email-asking-alive

Nailah Franklin's boyfriend says he sent her an email asking: 'Are you alive?'

Written By Rummana Hussain Posted: 10/29/2015, 01:59pm

When Andre Wright didn’t hear from his new girlfriend for several hours on a fall day eight years ago, he called her and left a voicemail.

He didn’t get a call back on Sept 18, 2007. Instead he got a “cryptic” text from Nailah Franklin’s number: “At a dinner. Call you back.”

Wright testified Thursday that the next day while at work in Milwaukee, he sent Franklin an email asking her, “Are you alive?”

She wasn’t, according to Cook County prosecutors.

They said Franklin, a 28-year-old pharmaceutical rep, was killed by her ex-boyfriend, Reginald Potts, who was enraged that she told their mutual friends about his criminal past. 

2 4 1
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #227 on: October 30, 2015, 06:58:18 PM »

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1056037/nailah-franklin-boyfriend-email-asking-alive

Nailah Franklin's boyfriend says he sent her an email asking: 'Are you alive?'

Written By Rummana Hussain Posted: 10/29/2015, 01:59pm

When Andre Wright didn’t hear from his new girlfriend for several hours on a fall day eight years ago, he called her and left a voicemail.

He didn’t get a call back on Sept 18, 2007. Instead he got a “cryptic” text from Nailah Franklin’s number: “At a dinner. Call you back.”

Wright testified Thursday that the next day while at work in Milwaukee, he sent Franklin an email asking her, “Are you alive?”

She wasn’t, according to Cook County prosecutors.

They said Franklin, a 28-year-old pharmaceutical rep, was killed by her ex-boyfriend, Reginald Potts, who was enraged that she told their mutual friends about his criminal past. 

This is just awful.     Not only was Ms. Franklin murdered, but the email her new boyfriend sent may end up haunting him.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #228 on: November 10, 2015, 01:21:54 PM »

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151110/university-village/reginald-potts-murder-trial-closing-arguments-begin

Reginald Potts Murder Trial: Closing Arguments Begin

By Erica Demarest | November 10, 2015 10:55am
@ericademarest

COOK COUNTY CRIMINAL COURTHOUSE — Attorneys have started presenting closing arguments Tuesday in the Reginald Potts murder trial.

Potts, 40, was charged with first-degree murder nearly eight years ago after Nailah Franklin, a bubbly University Village pharmaceutical rep, was discovered dead.

Potts' defense team has argued that there's very little evidence linking Potts to Franklin's murder. There are no eyewitnesses or fingerprints, and Potts has maintained his innocence.

"The police investigation in this case has been tunnel vision with one target: Reginald Potts," Assistant Public Defender Michael Morrissey said last month. "The case is riddled with doubt."

Since Potts was first charged in December 2007, there've been myriad delays in his case. Potts has hired and fired new counsel several times, and even tried to represent himself on more than one occasion.

In the nearly eight years he's been awaiting trial inside Cook County Jail, where he's being held without bail, Potts has racked up more than 200 infractions and several new felony charges, including battery to police and criminal damage to government property.

On Monday, Potts declined to testify on his behalf.

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #229 on: November 11, 2015, 03:22:58 PM »

http://abc7chicago.com/news/reginald-potts-guilty-of-murder-in-2007-death-of-nailah-franklin-/1077883/

By    Michelle Gallardo  and    Rob Elgas 

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 10:12PM

CHICAGO (WLS) --
 A jury found Reginald Potts guilty of first degree murder in the death of Nailah Franklin, a woman he briefly dated in 2007.

Franklin, a 28-year-old pharmaceutical rep, was seen alive at her University Village condo on September 18, 2007. Following an extensive 10-day search, Franklin's badly decomposed body was found in a wooded area in Calumet City behind a vacant video store owned by Potts' brother-in-law.

Potts, who was a successful businessman at the time, was arrested shortly afterward. The two had dated briefly before she broke it off in early September.

"He's a man with rage flowing through his veins," Asst. State's Attorney Mark Shlifka said in closing arguments. "There was the hunter and the hunted." 

The trial was delayed many times in large part because Potts insisted on defending himself until a judge appointed a public defender to him. After eight years, Franklin's family has closure - though another important loved one was missing as the verdict was read.

"Her father passed away after the case had been pending for four years. And her family told me they think he died of a broken heart," said Maria McCarthy, assistant state's attorney.

Potts, now 38, is scheduled to be sentenced later this month.

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #230 on: February 29, 2016, 08:29:24 PM »

He keeps trying to drag it out.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/sentencing-hearing-for-reginald-potts-begins-/1223662/

Sentencing hearing for Reginald Potts, found guilty of murdering Nailah Franklin, begins Monday

By Leah Hope 

Monday, February 29, 2016 08:33AM

CHICAGO (WLS) --
 The sentencing hearing for Reginald Potts, convicted of murdering Nailah Franklin in 2007, began Monday and was delayed briefly after his protests about cameras in the courtroom.

The judge had ruled that cameras could be present in the Cook County courtroom for the proceedings. However, as the hearing was scheduled to begin, Potts, 38, objected to the cameras stating, "I don't want to be a part of this" calling it a "continuing sensationalization and publicity of this case."

In November, a jury found Potts guilty of first-degree murder in the death of Franklin, a young pharmaceutical representative who he briefly dated.

Franklin, 28, had broken off the relationship and was seen alive at her University Village condo on September 18, 2007. Following an extensive 10-day search, Franklin's badly decomposed body was found in a wooded area in Calumet City behind a vacant video store owned by Potts' brother-in-law.

Potts, who was a successful businessman at the time, was arrested shortly afterward.

Franklin had warned friends that she was afraid of Potts before her disappearance. 

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #231 on: March 08, 2016, 09:40:08 PM »

FINELY!

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/nailah-franklins-killer-gets-life-sentence/

Chicago 6 hours

Nailah Franklin’s killer gets life sentence

Rummana Hussain

email

With his sweet talk, tailored wardrobe and $225,000 ivory-colored Bentley, Reginald Potts Jr. was able to convince women that he was a catch and trick colleagues into believing he was a successful real estate investor they could trust.

Those who were caught in Potts’ web of lies were beaten, threatened and robbed — many unaware that their tormentor had been behind bars for most of his adult life.

Nailah Franklin, the most unfortunate of Potts’ victims, was brutally murdered when she learned the truth of his criminal past and wanted to end their romantic relationship.

On Tuesday, Cook County Judge Thomas Gainer Jr. sentenced the 38-year-old Potts to life without parole for asphyxiating the popular pharmaceutical rep.

“I know who you are Mr. Potts,” Gainer said harshly.

“You are a cold, calculating, conniving, coward of a con man. You must be punished.”

Then speaking to plainclothes sheriff’s deputies, the judge bellowed, “Take him away!” 

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #232 on: March 09, 2016, 02:10:34 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-reginald-potts-sentencing-met-0309-20160308-story.html

Ripped as 'conniving coward,' Reginald Potts Jr. given life in prison

Steve Schmadeke•Contact Reporter
Chicago Tribune

March 9, 2016, 5:21 AM

After using legal maneuvers to drag out the criminal charges he faced for more than eight years, Reginald Potts Jr. finally met his day of reckoning Tuesday when a Cook County judge ripped him as "a cold, calculating, conniving coward of a con man" and sentenced him to life in prison for the slaying of a former lover.

The family of the victim, Nailah Franklin, greeted the maximum possible sentence — which carries no possibility of parole — with a smattering of applause.

During remarks that took about an hour, Judge Thomas Gainer Jr. tore into Potts, 38, who last week had maintained his innocence, blaming his first-degree murder conviction on the news media and seeming to fixate on showing Franklin hadn't broken up with him. The judge had held an unusually lengthy five-day sentencing hearing last week.

"You didn't erase her, Mr. Potts," Gainer said in a reference to a threat Potts had made to Franklin before her disappearance. "She lives on in the hearts and minds of all those people who cherished her while she was alive."

2 4 1
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #233 on: March 22, 2016, 10:29:11 AM »

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.