March 28, 2024, 04:00:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halloween Story by Casa  (Read 3628 times)
casa
Monkey Junky

« on: September 23, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »

The Night I Met a Ghost

As a child I always loved ghost stories and even though I would never admit it, I loved being scared.  I would read every book I could find on ghosts, and when a horror movie was showing at the local theater I couldn't wait to get there.  I didn't think this attraction for the supernatural was strange because all my friends also seemed to enjoy discussing the idea of ghosts.  While most of the girls admitted to being scared silly, of course, the boys laughed and talked of how no ghost would ever frighten them.  My parents, good naturedly, went along with my love of ghost stories but all the while made sure that I knew that these were only stories.  I agreed with them that the stories were that, only stories, but still in the back of my mind there was that little bit of doubt.  Then what happened to me one night convinced me, at least for a minute or two, that there really are ghosts.

About sixth grade when I and my friends were around eleven or twelve years old a miraculous change happened -- we had been noticing the boys for a while but they finally had begun to acknowledge that we girls were actually humans worthy of spending time with.  Our all girls pajama parties suddenly turned into boy and girl parties. 
     This particular year it became my honor to hold our first boy-girl Halloween party.  Everyone thought that this was a wonderful idea especially since across the street from my house was a deserted dirt road with a cemetery at the end of it.  It just so happened that also on this road was a dilapidated, old house that no one had lived in for a while.
     The night of the party arrived with everyone in high spirits.  The house was gaily decorated with black and orange streamers, cut out witches, black cats, and ghosts.  No one could doubt that it was Halloween.  Everyone was having a wonderful time eating, dancing, talking, and bobbing for apples.  By this time it was very dark, and someone suggested that we take a walk across the street.  Everyone readily agreed, not wanting to be labeled a "chicken."
     We all bravely marched out the front door and crossed the road.  It was dark, but the moon was bright, and we could see clearly where we were going.  Our group moved down the dark dirt road toward the cemetery.  All the while we girls were discussing the possibility of our meeting a ghost, the boys were laughingly saying that they hoped to meet one because they would really show him.
     As we neared the cemetery, we gathered a little closer together.  Even the boys grew a little more watchful, although they would never admit it.  We arrived at the cemetery safe and sound.  We stood at the edge and looked around us.  Even the boys agreed that they could see just fine from the edge of the road.  The white tombstones gleamed brightly in the moonlight.  A breeze gently stirred the trees branches to give back a soft rustling sound.  No one said a word and most held their breathe.  A tall statue within the cemetery seemed to stand as a guard to the many souls resting there.  However, hard as we tried, we could see no ghosts moved about.  Not a sound could we hear except the gentle rustling of the trees and our own breathing.
     After a few minutes, we decided to march bravely home.  We were a little more relaxed on our return trip. sure that if there had been any ghosts lurking around we had scared them away.  We were laughing and talking as we neared the old house sitting silently on the edge of the dirt road.  Suddenly above our voices we heard a sound.  At first we thought it was only the wind howling through the trees, but as we listened it grew louder.  About this time we had drawn even with the old house.  At first when we saw a glimpse of white we thought that it was only an errant piece of paper or a scrap of cloth left by the last inhabitants of the old house.  But as we stopped and looked closer, the speck of white grew larger and the sound grew louder!  Suddenly we realized that the sound and the fluttering white object were one and the same.  At last we had seen our ghost!  As our ghost moved through the door of the old house it only took a moment for us to decide that it was time to get home.  Our brave boys were the first ones through the door!  Everyone began to talk at once as the ghost took on many different sizes.  All did agree that we had truly had a remarkable experience.  As we excitedly talked among ourselves, my mother walked in the back door and smilingly said, "My you all look as if you've seen a ghost!"
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 10:29:41 PM »

Shocked Shocked  That's great, casa!  Boo! Watch out for ghosts...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 11:48:16 PM »

Great story, Casa. Thank you!

I'm not afraid of ghosts. If I ever saw one, I would try to start up a conversation.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 12:12:44 AM »

Nice Story  Very Happy Always thought it was cool to tell Ghost story's as a kid and we did it often..I remember being scared of Big Foot at camp,The Monster in the lake and scared that the blob was under my bed Smile

I will tell my Ghost Story closer to Holloween  Wink

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 07:50:04 AM »

Casa! Wonderful story.  Cool

Your mom walked in the back door, huh????  Laughing Laughing Laughing

Womderful mom 

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 07:57:39 AM »

Great story, Casa. Thank you!

I'm not afraid of ghosts. If I ever saw one, I would try to start up a conversation.
Cool

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:44:29 AM »

I have so many great memories of Halloween! It also happens to be my birthday, so my Mom always had a party for me, and we'd all go trick or treating after spaghetti and cake! My dad could tell stories that really made us scared!
My kids like Halloween as much as Christmas, and we decorate the yard and the house. I had to force my college daughter to give up trick or treating....she loved the whole process, and would still do it now if it was socially acceptable! Laughing
I'll have to post a favorite Halloween story that my Dad told us at my childhood birthday parties. I want to think about it, so I don't forget any of the good parts.... Wink

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:50:36 AM »

I have so many great memories of Halloween! It also happens to be my birthday, so my Mom always had a party for me, and we'd all go trick or treating after spaghetti and cake! My dad could tell stories that really made us scared!
My kids like Halloween as much as Christmas, and we decorate the yard and the house. I had to force my college daughter to give up trick or treating....she loved the whole process, and would still do it now if it was socially acceptable! Laughing
I'll have to post a favorite Halloween story that my Dad told us at my childhood birthday parties. I want to think about it, so I don't forget any of the good parts.... Wink

Hooray!  Another Halloween story.  If you can't tell, I like Halloween stories.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 12:41:57 AM »

great stuff... keep them coming!

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 05:15:18 PM »

I just wanted to share two classic clips with yall who like to be scared  Cool

The Thing
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TevQS4qgE_Q&mode=related&search=

Salems Lot

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SK6yjAAFkp4&mode=related&search=

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 05:42:42 PM »

I just wanted to share two classic clips with yall who like to be scared  Cool

The Thing
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TevQS4qgE_Q&mode=related&search=

Salems Lot

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SK6yjAAFkp4&mode=related&search=
To add to *******'s list
The Tingler (1959) -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GY-B3Z0DeUA&mode=related&search=Vincent-Price%20The-Tingler
Which I watched last night... Gotta Love Vincent Price!
No .. I did not get to see the origanal movie.. Mom would not let me go Sad

It is NOT over !!! If you believe good prevails and that the truth comes forward then justice will be handed out.  I want answers!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 05:52:42 PM »

The Tingler ~  That's some scarey stuff.  I remember being really afraid when "The Pit and the Pendulum" came out.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.