April 24, 2024, 03:46:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freedom Of Speech  (Read 2328 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: September 23, 2007, 11:38:22 PM »

This is a very serious and complicated issue and I don't know what to think so I'm asking for your thoughts.

AP - Posted: 2007-09-23 20:21:56
NEW YORK (AP) - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad arrived in New York for the purpose of speaking before the UN General Assembly in New York City.

Of course, there were protests that he should not be allowed to enter the US because his cause, very publicly stated, is Death to the United States. I can understand his being here to speak at the UN. There is no way to deny him as the UN is located in the US. He will say that Iran is neither building a nuclear bomb nor headed to war with the United States.

He is scheduled to speak on Monday at a forum at Columbia University in Manhattan, where about 40 elected officials and civic leaders decried his visit.

This is where freedom of speech comes into the picture. In the past, we have welcomed many foreign leaders to speak in the US. On the dais and forums. None of them said death to the US. They may have felt this way, but it was never stated.

Many Columbia students feel he should speak in the interest of dialog so we can work things out. Those goals seem very fair and logical. But this is a new and unique situation wherein we are dealing with a foreign leader who says the Holocaust is a myth, that he plans to wipe Israel off the face of the earth and death to America.

I don't think he should be allowed to speak at Columbia. What do you think?

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »

I'll keep it simple Louise.   In asking for a chance to participate in and be protected under freedom of speech, would it not be prudent to examine the policies of that particular nation.  Do they allow freedom of speech?  Are they tolerant of the views which oppose their own?  I would find it a bit hypocritical for someone to wish to participate in a free exchange of dialog if that leader does not allow such a dialog to take place in their own country.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
CJ1
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 03:05:30 PM »

I agree GreatOwl.  He wants rights for himself but does not extend them to anyone else.  He has declared himself an enemy of our country so why give him any privileges other than going to the UN. 

I also find fault with the university.  They do not allow ROTC because of the treatment of homosexuals but Iran executes homosexuals. 
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 06:56:41 PM »

I'll keep it simple Louise.   In asking for a chance to participate in and be protected under freedom of speech, would it not be prudent to examine the policies of that particular nation.  Do they allow freedom of speech?  Are they tolerant of the views which oppose their own?  I would find it a bit hypocritical for someone to wish to participate in a free exchange of dialog if that leader does not allow such a dialog to take place in their own country.

Great post! I totally agree.
And he should not be allowed to set foot on any campus in America except that of the UN.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:03:29 PM »

I don't agree with him speaking at Columbia whatsoever... there is nothing that he is going to say that is going to create a dialog. 

LV, did you read the front page and the comments there?  Interesting stuff....

I am happy that they at least kept him from going to Ground Zero, because IMO, he only wanted to pay homage to the terrorists, not the victims.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:23:25 PM »

Did anyone hear / see / read his address at Columbia?  He is nuts. For every question he was asked, he replied with a question. He wore a little suit instead of the regular windbreaker.

He talked about science and religion. Called the US his dear friend. He said he was an academic. Iranian women are the most free in the world. Iran has no homosexuals. He did admit there was a holocaust but we need to do more research about it to be sure.

I just cringe that he was allowed to come here and speak. He delivered his address in Farsi translated by a female, and that reminded me of Hugo Chavez when he was here.

Before his address, the president of Columbia introduced him. He read him the riot act and spoke about all the dastardly things he has done and said. The pundits applauded the introduction.

I just feel so yucky about the whole charade.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.