April 18, 2024, 06:51:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED ANYMORE IN THE USA  (Read 3682 times)
Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: August 13, 2006, 02:40:28 AM »

error Plot Probe Under Way in U.S.
 Email this Story

Aug 12, 1:23 AM (ET)

By LARA JAKES JORDAN

WASHINGTON (AP) - Federal investigators are pursuing leads in the United States related to the foiled plot to blow up flights from Britain but so far have found no evidence of terrorist activity, Bush administration officials said Friday.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, meanwhile, said he would adjust new flight restrictions to try to make air travel for passengers "as simple and as easy as possible, as quickly as possible."

U.S. counterterrorism officials stressed that there was no reason for Americans to believe plotters or others connected with the terror scenario were in the country. Still, the FBI has so far assigned an estimated 200 investigators to track down potential links.

"We operate on the assumption that we don't have everybody," White House homeland security adviser Frances Fragos Townsend said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I never, and I don't think anybody else in this business ever assumes when you take a case down that you've gotten everybody."

In the two weeks before authorities cracked the case, leading to 41 arrests in Pakistan and Britain, the FBI asked for legal permission in a significant number of cases to obtain records, conduct searches or surveillance in the United States. So far, the increased scrutiny has not turned up terror-related evidence, according to a federal law enforcement source.

The arrests led the Bush administration to put the U.S. on its highest threat alert for flights headed to the United States from Britain. Additionally, all other flights were raised to the second-highest alert level.

Two other U.S. counterterrorism officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the investigation, said the British suspects placed calls to several cities in the United States before their arrests. At least some of the calls were placed to people in New York, Washington, Chicago and Detroit, one official said. The suspects are all British citizens, mostly men in the 20s and 30s of Pakistani descent.

The FBI is expecting the arrests and searches of homes and computers in England to generate another round of leads on possible U.S. ties. But there have been no arrests in the United States in connection with the plot, officials said.

Dozens of Muslim and Arab people in the United States reported being questioned by law enforcement officials over the last several weeks, community leaders said. But they believed the scrutiny was related to the conflict between Israel and Lebanon - and not to the British-based plot.

"We were all looking one way," said James Zogby, president of the American Arab Institute, who said he personally was told of only a handful of recent complaints. "But if something else was happening, we weren't focused on it."

Authorities on both sides of the Atlantic fear there still could be dozens of people loose who participated in the plot - even if only tangentially, like by supplying chemicals or funding. Lawmakers also continued to be briefed on details.

Rep. Pete Hoekstra, R-Mich., chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, interrupted an annual bike tour in his district to return to Washington and meet with U.S. officials. Rep. Rob Simmons, R-Conn., who also was briefed Friday, said he believed the Patriot Act and other laws that permit domestic surveillance of terror suspects were critical to capturing the suspects.

Rep. Peter King, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said he was assured during several intelligence briefings that "there's absolutely no evidence" of plotters in the country.

"They're not looking at anybody in the U.S.," said King, R-N.Y.

Chertoff, seeking to ease travel concerns at Washington's Reagan National Airport, also sought to assure Americans that there is no evidence of plotters in the United States. But he cited the possibility of other terrorists or sympathizers, saying, "So I'm not prepared to let my guard down."

The Transportation Security Administration has barred many common carry-on items such as water bottles and toiletries since the plot was unraveled. Chertoff provided no details but said officials would focus on the threat involved - some common chemicals, which combined can form a deadly explosives.

Officials will study "how we can calibrate our systems to take account of these developments, and then, with that in mind, try to ultimately come back to a regime of security that will give the maximum amount of freedom to the travelers," he said.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 10:02:03 PM »

Tyler, Tyler - Raising My Hand!  You know I am still interested in the USA.

The article stated "Two US counterterrorism officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the investigation, said the British suspects placed calls to several cities in the United States before their arrests. At least some of the calls were placed to people in New York, Washington, Chicago and Detroit, one official said."

I think this part of the article is a bunch of hogwash: "Rep. Peter King, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said he was assured during several intelligence briefings that there's absolutely no evidence of plotters in the country. They're not looking at anybody in the US," said King, R-N.Y. Boy oh boy, we are in serious trouble when US offcials deny that there are plotters in the US.

If they called people in New York, Washington, Chicago and Detroit, there are people in our country on the other side of the telephone calls.  There are phone records. Are they just trying to "keep us calm" or what? People answered those calls.

There is a terrible situation going on if the US cannot acknowledge the phone calls to the US. There are terrorists here in the US and I wonder why that fact is being denied.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 09:31:28 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"

The article stated "Two US counterterrorism officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the investigation, said the British suspects placed calls to several cities in the United States before their arrests. At least some of the calls were placed to people in New York, Washington, Chicago and Detroit, one official said."

I think this part of the article is a bunch of hogwash: "Rep. Peter King, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said he was assured during several intelligence briefings that there's absolutely no evidence of plotters in the country. They're not looking at anybody in the US," said King, R-N.Y. Boy oh boy, we are in serious trouble when US offcials deny that there are plotters in the US.

If they called people in New York, Washington, Chicago and Detroit, there are people in our country on the other side of the telephone calls.  There are phone records. Are they just trying to "keep us calm" or what? People answered those calls.

There is a terrible situation going on if the US cannot acknowledge the phone calls to the US. There are terrorists here in the US and I wonder why that fact is being denied.

Dear Tyler and LV -
the bolded part is exactly what troubles me.  We are all going to that proverbial hell in a handbasket if we don't believe that there are terrorist already here - I think they use the stock markets (they know when and how to short the market to make long term gains)  and our own misguided politically correct thinkers to assist them....

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 08:43:51 PM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"

Dear Tyler and LV -
the bolded part is exactly what troubles me.  We are all going to that proverbial hell in a handbasket if we don't believe that there are terrorist already here - I think they use the stock markets (they know when and how to short the market to make long term gains)  and our own misguided politically correct thinkers to assist them....

It's kinda obvious there's terrorists here, heck the first WTC bombing was done by terrorists in the U.S., then the financing is so obvious, just look at that professor in Fla, that was financing anti Israel groups and doing fund raising talks.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 09:48:01 PM »

Also, I am worried that there really are terrorists sneaking in from Mexico and blending in... and that we are handing the Country  to non-citizens...

and I don't really have any problems with immigrents... ( to the point that I don't even spell it correctly..LOL)

but I do have a problem with ILLEGAL ailens...

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 10:01:41 PM »

Hi Mrs. Red,

I heard on FOX today that Muslim terrorists are learning Spanish in order to blend in with Mexican illegals crossing the border. I am worried, too.

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 10:10:38 PM »

Hi Mrs. Red,

I heard on FOX today that Muslim terrorists are learning Spanish in order to blend in with Mexican illegals crossing the border. I am worried, too.

then were you watching the story on the Church in Chicago?  It is ppl that are perhaps trying to do good but are misguided like that Preist that will get us all into hot water... they frighten me the most...

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 10:45:21 PM »

Mrs. Red,

No, I did not see the story on the Church in Chicago? What was the Priest doing? Can you share the gist of the story?

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 10:54:49 PM »

Mrs. Red,

No, I did not see the story on the Church in Chicago? What was the Priest doing? Can you share the gist of the story?

LV,
It has been on BOR and H&C, so I will see if I can find you a story link so we can discuss...

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.