April 28, 2024, 03:56:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #7 9/30 - 10/24/2007  (Read 180980 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #880 on: October 23, 2007, 10:49:12 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/#

CALIFORNIA FIRES - MAIN FIRES BURNING RIGHT NOW

Created by Ron on Oct 22 - Updated 8 hours ago

Canyon Fire (Malibu) 10:18 p.m. updated
Malibu Acres burned: 3,800 Containment: 8% Destroyed: 6 homes, 2 businesses, church. Damaged: 9 homes, 5 businesses. Injuries: None reported. Time of start: 4:50 a.m., 10-21 Possible cause: Downed pow...
Malibu
Acres burned: 3,800
Containment: 8%
Destroyed: 6 homes, 2 businesses, church.
Damaged: 9 homes, 5 businesses.
Injuries: None reported.
Time of start: 4:50 a.m., 10-21
Possible cause: Downed power lines
Point of origin: Malibu Canyon Road at Piuma Road
Firefighters: 1500
Evacuations:
Note: Burning away from Topanga.

Buckweed Fire (Agua Dulce/Santa Clarita) 7:30 p.m.
Acres burned: 35,550 Containment: 20% Destroyed: 15 homes, 17 outstructures Damaged: none reported Injuries: 3 civilian, 1 firefighter Time of start: 12:55 p.m. Sunday Possible cause: Point of origin:...
Acres burned: 35,550
Containment: 20%
Destroyed: 15 homes, 17 outstructures
Damaged: none reported
Injuries: 3 civilian, 1 firefighter
Time of start: 12:55 p.m. Sunday
Possible cause:
Point of origin: 11727 W. Mint Canyon Rd.
Firefighters: 1200
Evacuations:

Witch Fire (Poway) 8:40 p.m. updated
Acres burned: 145,000 Contained: Unknown Destroyed: 500 houses, 100 businesses, 50 outbuildings Damaged: 250 houses, 75 businesses, 50 outbuildings Injuries: 1 civilian, 7 firefighter Time of start: 1...
Acres burned: 145,000
Contained: Unknown
Destroyed: 500 houses, 100 businesses, 50 outbuildings
Damaged: 250 houses, 75 businesses, 50 outbuildings
Injuries: 1 civilian, 7 firefighter
Time of start: 11a.m. 10-21
Possible cause:
Point of origin: Witch Creek area near Santa Ysabel, northeast San Diego County.

Harris Fire (SE SD Co) 8:40 p.m. updated
Location: Burning west toward Chula Vista Acres burned: 22,000 Containment: 5% Destroyed: Multiple Damaged: Multiple Injuries: 16 civilians, 5 firefighters Time of start: 9:30 a.m. 10-21 Point of orig...
Acres burned: 22,000
Containment: 5%
Destroyed: Multiple
Damaged: Multiple
Injuries: 16 civilians, 5 firefighters
Time of start: 9:30 a.m. 10-21
Point of origin: Near Potrero
Firefighters: 400

Ranch Fire (Castaic/Piru) 7 p.m.
Acres burned: 41,000 Containment: 10% Destroyed: 3 homes, 4 outbuildings Damaged: none reported Injuries: none reported Time of start: 9:42 p.m. Saturday Point of origin: due west of Templin Hwy and I...
Acres burned: 41,000
Containment: 10%
Destroyed: 3 homes, 4 outbuildings
Damaged: none reported
Injuries: none reported
Time of start: 9:42 p.m. Saturday
Point of origin: due west of Templin Hwy and I-5 junction, near Townsend Peak
Firefighters: 767

Sedgewick Fire (Los Olivos, S Barbara Co) 4:50 p.m.
Acres burned: 710 Containment: 50% Destroyed: Damaged: Injuries: Time of Start: 6 a.m., 10-21 Possible cause: Point of origin: Brush files miles north of Los Olivos, at Hwy 154 and Hwy 246. Firefighte...
Acres burned: 710
Containment: 50%
Destroyed:
Damaged:
Injuries:
Time of Start: 6 a.m., 10-21
Possible cause:
Point of origin: Brush files miles north of Los Olivos, at Hwy 154 and Hwy 246.
Firefighters: 500
Evacuations:

Santiago Fire (O.C.) 4 p.m.
Location: Portola Springs, Northwood village of Irvine Acres burned: 15,000 Containment: 30% Destroyed: 1 outbuilding Damaged: 2 outbuildings Injuries: 4 firefighters Point of Origin: Silverado Canyon...
Acres burned: 15,000
Containment: 30%
Destroyed: 1 outbuilding
Damaged: 2 outbuildings
Injuries: 4 firefighters
Point of Origin: Silverado Canyon and Santiago Canyon roads, then crossed Hwy. 241 to the west.
Firefighters: 492
Time of Start: 5:55 p.m. 10-21
Believed cause: Arson

Soledad Canyon fire 11 p.m.
New fire reported on Soledad Canyon off the 14 Freeway, multiple mobile homes on fire, no acreage estimate, firefighters trying to evacuate mobile home residents.
New fire reported on Soledad Canyon off the 14 Freeway, multiple mobile homes on fire, no acreage estimate, firefighters trying to evacuate mobile home residents. 
 Walker Fire (Ontario) 4 p.m.
Acres: 160. Containment: Firefighters have surrounded the fire, but have not yet considered the fire contained. Destroyed: Damaged: Injuries: Point of origin: Schaefer Ave and S Walker Ave, dairy land...
Acres: 160.
Containment: Firefighters have surrounded the fire, but have not yet considered the fire contained.
Destroyed:
Damaged:
Injuries:
Point of origin: Schaefer Ave and S Walker Ave, dairy land southeast of the intersection 

Grass Valley Fire (N. Lake Arrowhead) 7:20 p.m.
Acres burned: 400 Containment: Destroyed: 113 structures Damaged: Injuries: Time of start: 12 a.m. 10-22 Point of origin: Grass Valley Creek Firefighters: 240
Acres burned: 400
Containment:
Destroyed: 113 structures
Damaged:
Injuries:
Time of start: 12 a.m. 10-22
Point of origin: Grass Valley Creek
Firefighters: 240

Slide Fire (Lake Arrowhead) 7:20 p.m.
Acres: 1500 acres Destroyed: 25 structures Damaged: Injuries: None reported Time of Start: 8:02 a.m. 10-22 Point of origin: East of Green Valley Lake, north of Forest Road 2N-13. Firefighters: 70
Acres: 1500 acres
Destroyed: 25 structures
Damaged:
Injuries: None reported
Time of Start: 8:02 a.m. 10-22
Point of origin: East of Green Valley Lake, north of Forest Road 2N-13.
Firefighters: 70

Rice Fire (Fallbrook, NE SD Co) 8:40 p.m.
Acres: 1500 Containment: 0% Destroyed: 50 homes Damaged: 30 homes Injuries: Time of start: 4:16 a.m. on 10-22 Point of origin: Rice Canyon Firefighters: 32
Acres: 1500
Containment: 0%
Destroyed: 50 homes
Damaged: 30 homes
Injuries:
Time of start: 4:16 a.m. on 10-22
Point of origin: Rice Canyon
Firefighters: 32

Cajon Fire (Devore) 7:20 p.m.
Acres Burned: 200 Destroyed: Damaged: Injuries: Point of origin: Time of start: 12:15 p.m. 10-22 Location: Headed toward Lytle Creek Evacuations: Neighborhoods near Lytle Creek fire station
Acres Burned: 200
Destroyed:
Damaged:
Injuries:
Point of origin:
Time of start: 12:15 p.m. 10-22
Evacuations: Neighborhoods near Lytle Creek fire station

Magic Fire (Stevenson Ranch) 7:30 p.m.
Acres: 1,200 Containment: 20% Destroyed: Damaged: Injuries: Time of Start: 2:17 p.m. 10-22 Point of origin: Near the intersection of Old Road and Magic Mountain Parkway Firefighters: 120 Direction: Fi...
Acres: 1,200
Containment: 20%
Destroyed:
Damaged:
Injuries:
Time of Start: 2:17 p.m. 10-22
Point of origin: Near the intersection of Old Road and Magic Mountain Parkway
Firefighters: 120
Direction: Fire moving toward southwest to south of Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Little Mountain Fire (San Bernardino) 5 p.m.
Acres: 650 Containment: Destroyed: Damaged: Injuries: Time of start: 3:30 p.m. 10-22 Point of origin: I-215 and University near Cal State San Bernardino. Firefighters:
Acres: 650
Containment:
Destroyed:
Damaged:
Injuries:
Time of start: 3:30 p.m. 10-22
Point of origin: I-215 and University near Cal State San Bernardino.
Firefighters:
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #881 on: October 23, 2007, 11:06:24 AM »

Fires all the way to Mexico now.  Is someone setting these new ones or what?

Evil or Very Mad

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #882 on: October 23, 2007, 11:08:39 AM »

Evil or Very Mad

Anna - I don't know but not unlike where you live it's been very dry here...no rain.  The humidity where I live is about 25% and today is supposed to be one of the hotter days.  It doesn't take much for a fire to start when all the brush is so dry and it's windy.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #883 on: October 23, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »

Klaas,
I have been terrified of a fire here all summer.  You can't fight fire uphill very well as I am sure you know, spreads something like 10+ times faster than on level ground.

I think this may contribute to the difficulties in your area as well.

I hope all make it to safety and this is contained pronto!

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #884 on: October 23, 2007, 11:21:57 AM »

Bush Offers Help to Calif. Fire Victims

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-7018077,00.html

PERSONA NON GRATA

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #885 on: October 23, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #886 on: October 23, 2007, 12:37:15 PM »

Fires burn 1,300 homes, threaten 72,000 more

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/23/wildfire.ca/index.html

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #887 on: October 23, 2007, 01:17:14 PM »

We had a little bit of rain this morning, yea!!!

But it has made a very dense fog making driving almost impossible.  Moisture at any cost is welcomed, however.

PERSONA NON GRATA

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #888 on: October 23, 2007, 01:32:09 PM »

Evil or Very Mad

Anna, it's the Santa Ana winds.  They start in the East and blow West, meaning they blow hot and dry and do not bring back any moisture from the ocean.  News reports are saying that embers the size of milk cartons are carried in these winds and start new fires when they land on dry brush.

My son lives in San Diego.  So far his area is not at risk, however, his university is closed as are many schools and businesses.  The air quality is very bad, many roads are closed and the authorities want vehicles off the roads as much as possible.
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #889 on: October 23, 2007, 02:03:05 PM »

I have a good friend that just moved from Tustin to LaQuinta -- I don't find LaQuinta on the map, though. I know it's near Tustin, because she kept the same phone number. I can't get through.

We get horrible fires too. When the Everglades are dry. Usually started by lightening strikes. Sometimes arson.

About 3 years ago, we had numerous fires, burning for days+ and many, many thousands of acres were lost. And just when we thought all of south florida was going to burn down -- it rained. Right over the fires.

Weathermen said it was a 'natural' safety mechanism.

Just like our summer thunderstorms everyday at 5:00.

Heat from the fire causes 'heat rising' -- particles from the fire allow condensation to form. Result=rain.

I pray that the same thing happens in California.

How horrifying! At least we get more notice with hurricanes.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #890 on: October 23, 2007, 02:10:17 PM »

I have a good friend that just moved from Tustin to LaQuinta -- I don't find LaQuinta on the map, though. I know it's near Tustin, because she kept the same phone number. I can't get through.

We get horrible fires too. When the Everglades are dry. Usually started by lightening strikes. Sometimes arson.

About 3 years ago, we had numerous fires, burning for days+ and many, many thousands of acres were lost. And just when we thought all of south florida was going to burn down -- it rained. Right over the fires.

Weathermen said it was a 'natural' safety mechanism.

Just like our summer thunderstorms everyday at 5:00.

Heat from the fire causes 'heat rising' -- particles from the fire allow condensation to form. Result=rain.

I pray that the same thing happens in California.

How horrifying! At least we get more notice with hurricanes.

La Quinta is actually out in the desert close to Indio - I don't see any fires in that area:

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #891 on: October 23, 2007, 02:49:01 PM »

Thanks, klaas. Looking at the map, they were in Indio before. Tustin was her pad as a single.

Maybe they're just out on the golf course -- but probably the air is bad there, too.

I hope you are staying inside as much as possible.  The air is not healthy for you right now.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #892 on: October 23, 2007, 03:05:11 PM »

Thanks, klaas. Looking at the map, they were in Indio before. Tustin was her pad as a single.

Maybe they're just out on the golf course -- but probably the air is bad there, too.

I hope you are staying inside as much as possible.  The air is not healthy for you right now.

Air is better here today because the wind shifted some.  Yesterday and the day before it was horrible.  Too hot to be outside much anyway, it's 100 now and 25% humidity and I'm by the beach.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #893 on: October 23, 2007, 03:29:25 PM »

Flamingos Killed in German Zoo Attack     
Oct 23 12:43 PM US/Eastern

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) - Intruders decapitated three flamingos and strangled a fourth in a grisly attack at Frankfurt's zoo, officials said Tuesday.

Police said the birds were killed inside their enclosure by intruders who sneaked into the zoo between Monday night and Tuesday morning.

The zoo said three of the birds killed were more than 30 years old. The fourth was a Chilean flamingo, a species native to the South American country.

The zoo counts several flamingos among its menagerie of animals that includes rhinoceros, hippos lions, giraffes and scores of different birds, insects and reptiles.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8SF2AG80&show_article=1
---------------------------------
What the heck is the matter with some  people?     Why would someone do this? Sad  Of all things on this earth to go be mean to and kill, they go after flamingos...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #894 on: October 23, 2007, 03:33:02 PM »

Now here is an invention I have to wonder about:
Back-seat toilet to end mishaps in traffic jams   Shocked
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071023/lf_nm_life/car_toilet_dc_1
ue Oct 23, 7:30 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters Life!) - If you're stuck in traffic when Mother Nature calls, Japan's Kaneko Sangyo Co. has developed the loo for you.
ADVERTISEMENT

The manufacturer of plastic car accessories drew back the curtain on Tuesday on its new portable toilet for cars.

The toilet comes with a curtain large enough to conceal users and a plastic bag to collect waste.

"The commode will come in handy during major disasters such as earthquakes or when you are caught in a traffic jam," a company official told reporters, according to Kyodo News.

Japan is situated on the Pacific "Ring of Fire" and accounts for about 20 percent of the world's earthquakes of magnitude 6 or greater.

Drivers stranded by tectonic movements or stuck in tailbacks simply assemble the cardboard toilet bowl, fit a water-absorbent sheet inside and draw round the curtain.

The product is small enough to fit inside a suitcase, the company said.

But prospective customers will have to hang on until November 15, when the firm begins selling the new product online.
-----------------------------------
But hey, it means they will be available for Christmas giving...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #895 on: October 23, 2007, 03:37:45 PM »

Air is better here today because the wind shifted some.  Yesterday and the day before it was horrible.  Too hot to be outside much anyway, it's 100 now and 25% humidity and I'm by the beach.

Shocked 100 degrees by the beach?? WOW!! It's normally 20-30 degrees cooler where you live. I hate to see what the temps are in the valleys!! EVery year at this time its the same thing in Cali and its 1000 times worse if there is a arsonist on the lose..I have been involved in helping with two fires in the past and I noticed both areas were hit again this year..Piru and Malibu Sad  Both fires were nightmares!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 03:39:33 PM by Observer » Logged

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #896 on: October 23, 2007, 04:59:25 PM »

My kind of workout, lol  Laughing Laughing

Researcher: Vibrations Help Slim Abdomen

Oct 23, 4:50 PM (ET)

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - A Maine researcher says standing on a vibrating platform for 15 minutes a day could help people achieve washboard abs.

Clifford Rosen from The Jackson Laboratory and Maine Medical Center Research Institute says his study put mice on a vibrating platform for 15 minutes a day for 15 weeks.

He says the mice developed 27 percent fewer abdominal fat cells and saw other benefits, including reduced triglycerides in the liver.

The mice didn't lose weight but Rosen says it appears that the vibrations changed fat distribution in a beneficial way. The study by Rosen and his research partners was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20071023/D8SF5UBO3.html

Laughing
Kermit
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #897 on: October 23, 2007, 05:09:22 PM »

http://ktla.trb.com/

You can watch live - about the fires.

oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #898 on: October 23, 2007, 05:15:46 PM »

Not sure if this belongs here or not.. 
Convicted sex offender attempts to castrate himself 
http://www.sj-r.com/News/stories/18634.asp

Shocked  ouch

It is NOT over !!! If you believe good prevails and that the truth comes forward then justice will be handed out.  I want answers!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #899 on: October 23, 2007, 05:37:44 PM »

Not sure if this belongs here or not..
Convicted sex offender attempts to castrate himself 
http://www.sj-r.com/News/stories/18634.asp

Shocked  ouch

I say, OLDF...your eyes are creeeeeeepy......

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.