April 27, 2024, 12:03:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #7 9/30 - 10/24/2007  (Read 180926 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #940 on: October 24, 2007, 08:48:56 AM »

Hello and good morning to you all  sunny  I hope Shell and others living in the fire areas are safe and their homes spared.  I've been watching the news and I hope  the winds will soon die down and rains will fall to put out the fires. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #941 on: October 24, 2007, 10:39:55 AM »

City Plans Halloween-Mask Crackdown In Wake Of 30 Robberies

POSTED: 11:15 pm EDT October 23, 2007
http://www.local6.com/news/14409117/detail.html
COCOA, Fla. -- Residents wearing masks in certain public areas this Halloween could be arrested as part of a police crackdown in the wake of dozens of robberies committed by men in disguise.
In the last four months, city businesses in Cocoa have reported 30 different crimes by armed bandits wearing masks.

According to a Florida law, wearing a mask in public is a misdemeanor, the Local 6 report said.

Officers in Cocoa said they plan to crackdown on the statute around Halloween this year.

"This is new for us," Cocoa police representative Barbara Matthews said. "This is something proactive we are trying. And it may have some kinks. But for most of the law abiding citizens, it's not going to be an issue for them."

Cocoa police officers are telling local businesses to post fliers on their windows, asking customers to remove any type of mask before entering. Store and hotel employees may be asking people to remove masks on their property.

"If they have nothing to worry about, it is going to be a quick encounter and then we are going to be on our way to the next call," Matthews said.

Authorities said they plan to use discretion over who they arrest during the crackdown.
----------------------------------------------------
But, but officer!  This IS my real face!!  Laughing Laughing

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #942 on: October 24, 2007, 10:51:16 AM »

I've just caught up on most threads and do hope that the fires in CA end and those who've evacuated can return to their homes, including Shell & her husband.  If all is lost, I hope they find the assistance to rebuild.  So very frightening.

In response to the twilight zone that Klaasend felt she was in late last night/early this morning, I checked to see what phase of the moon is near...looks like 'full' on Friday.   Wink

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/MoonPhase.php#y2007

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #943 on: October 24, 2007, 11:30:58 AM »

Here's an interactive map of all the California fires.  Click on one of the balloons to get information on the fire:

http://www.ocregister.com/news/maps-small-utf-1902318-google-msa
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #944 on: October 24, 2007, 11:59:14 AM »

Klaas,

Wondering, while looking at that map you posted, where Shell's home is located....not sure it's appropriate to say, under the circumstances...

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #945 on: October 24, 2007, 12:09:18 PM »

Klaas,

Wondering, while looking at that map you posted, where Shell's home is located....not sure it's appropriate to say, under the circumstances...

I'm not positive but I think it's the worst fire, the Witch fire.  It covers a huge area:

Evacuations: Community of Ramona, population about 36,000, evacuated. All residents between I-15 and I-5 from Del Dios Highway in north to state highway 56 in south. Includes Rancho Santa Fe, Carmel Highlands, Rancho Bernardo, Del Mar Heights, Fairbanks Ranch, parts of Rancho Penasquitos.
Damages: 805 homes, 100 businesses, 50 outbuildings have been destroyed; 375 homes, 75 commercial properties and 50 outbuildings damaged; 5,000 residences, 1,500 commercial properties, and 300 outbuildings are threatened in San Diego, Poway, Ramona, Escondido, Lakeside, Valley Center, San Marcos, and Rancho Santa Fe. Some 250 home, 75 businesses have been damaged.
Injuries: 12 firefighters injured, two civilians injured
Resources: 89 engines, 9 hand crews, 10 dozers, two water tenders
Fire personnel on scene: 1,841
Containment: 1 percent
Direction: Currently one mile east of Ramona.
Start time: 12:37 p.m. Sunday
Cause: Unknown
Estimated damage: $2.3 million
Other information: Highway 78 is closed from Ramona to Santa Ysabel, Wildcat Canyon is closed; highway 67 closed from Poway Road to Ramona. San Diego Wild Animal Park threatened.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #946 on: October 24, 2007, 12:36:54 PM »

Here's a photo I just took directly into the sun.  I'm facing more or less in the direction of the Camp Pendleton fires.  The sky is all smoke today.  There are no fires threatening us however, we just have the smoke and soot to deal with.  That is all smoke in the sky, no clouds:

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #947 on: October 24, 2007, 01:49:39 PM »

It almost looks like a sunset...I'm sorry about the soot & smoke conditions in your area.  Guess I can't complain...it is cloudy & rained a little over night.  Wish I could send it out your way.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

friend of monkeys
Monkey Junky

« Reply #948 on: October 24, 2007, 02:41:57 PM »

It almost looks like a sunset...I'm sorry about the soot & smoke conditions in your area.  Guess I can't complain...it is cloudy & rained a little over night.  Wish I could send it out your way.

ditto

We have done this like 20 times before and never before did anything bad happen....JORAN
SarahD
Scared Monkey

Never give up!

« Reply #949 on: October 24, 2007, 05:46:35 PM »

Hello and good morning to you all  sunny  I hope Shell and others living in the fire areas are safe and their homes spared.  I've been watching the news and I hope  the winds will soon die down and rains will fall to put out the fires. 

Good evening everyone.  I was just wondering about our friends in California.  My boss's daughter is in San Diego and she's been calling them to let them know how she is.

I would like to add my prayers to all those with family, friends and loved ones in California. I pray they have rain soon. 

Have a Sunshine Day!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #950 on: October 24, 2007, 05:47:30 PM »

Oct 24, 5:05 PM EDT
Looking for an Excuse? Company Has Many
By ANGELA K. BROWN
Associated Press Writer
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EXCUSED_ABSENCES?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
 THACKERVILLE, Okla. (AP) -- Feeling like playing hooky, but nervous about getting caught? The Excused Absence Network has got your back.

For about $25, students and employees can buy excuse notes that appear to come from doctors or hospitals. Other options include a fake jury summons or an authentic-looking funeral service program complete with comforting poems and a list of pallbearers.

Some question whether the products are legal or ethical - or even work - but the company's owners say they're just helping people do something they would have done anyway.

"Millions of Americans work dead-end jobs, and sometimes they just need a day off," said John Liddell, co-founder of the Internet-based company Vision Matters, which sells the notes as part of its Excused Absence Network. "People are going to lie anyway. How many people go visit their doctors every day when they're not sick because they just need a note?"

The company's customers receive templates so they can print the notes after typing the name and address of a local doctor or emergency room. Those who choose jury duty as an excuse to miss work enter their county courthouse information on the form.

Though the company's disclaimer advises the notes are "for entertainment purposes only," its Web site shows pictures of people sunbathing and playing golf using the fabricated excuses. One testimonial says: "I've managed to take the nine weeks off using these templates! It couldn't be any easier!"

Actually, for one New Jersey woman it wasn't so easy. She was arrested this year after using one of the company's notes to support her claim she was too injured to appear in traffic court for a speeding ticket. She was caught after court officials called the chiropractor listed and he told them he never heard of the woman
(snipped)
----------------------------------
The dog ate my homework....?! Laughing

SarahD
Scared Monkey

Never give up!

« Reply #951 on: October 24, 2007, 05:48:06 PM »

Here's a photo I just took directly into the sun.  I'm facing more or less in the direction of the Camp Pendleton fires.  The sky is all smoke today.  There are no fires threatening us however, we just have the smoke and soot to deal with.  That is all smoke in the sky, no clouds:

Thank you for sharing that picture.  It must be so scary.   I think fire scares me the most.  I do hope that rain will come soon and that those in the fire areas will have some relief. 

Have a Sunshine Day!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #952 on: October 24, 2007, 06:06:15 PM »

Earthquake and Tsunami warning

Magnitude 7.1 - SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

crazybabyborg
« Reply #953 on: October 24, 2007, 06:14:22 PM »

Checking in and hoping to hear good things from our California Monkeys. I don't see anything about Shell yet. I'm praying for the best!

How nice to see FOM! Glad you like the Halloween duds! I thought it was "you"!  Laughing
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #954 on: October 24, 2007, 06:15:39 PM »

Checking in and hoping to hear good things from our California Monkeys. I don't see anything about Shell yet. I'm praying for the best!

How nice to see FOM! Glad you like the Halloween duds! I thought it was "you"!  Laughing

Hi CBB - Shell was in one of the hardest hit areas.  I don't expect we will hear from her for a while.  I just pray her home wasn't lost.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #955 on: October 24, 2007, 06:17:08 PM »

Klaas, that picture of the sun looks like it belongs on a Halloween thread! That's eerie!  Shocked

You mentioned not running the air conditioner...........are you OK breathing in all the particles in the air from the fire??
crazybabyborg
« Reply #956 on: October 24, 2007, 06:19:14 PM »

Hi CBB - Shell was in one of the hardest hit areas.  I don't expect we will hear from her for a while.  I just pray her home wasn't lost.

I keep thinking about her last post. She said she had high hopes her home would be safe and that she wasn't taking her pictures. I'm praying with you that all we be there for her when she returns!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #957 on: October 24, 2007, 06:19:31 PM »

Klaas, that picture of the sun looks like it belongs on a Halloween thread! That's eerie!  Shocked

You mentioned not running the air conditioner...........are you OK breathing in all the particles in the air from the fire??

The problem is that the AC hasn't been turned on in over 10 years.  My husband said something has leaked out of it so I'm sure it doesn't even work.

The particles aren't good, no
crazybabyborg
« Reply #958 on: October 24, 2007, 06:27:01 PM »

I'm sure the freon (sp?) is gone and no, it wouldn't work without it. I just know that because I have a slow leak in my line that causes me to have it filled every year.

What time of day was that picture taken? I'm sure you've had the windows open because of the heat. Wow, I'll bet there's major dusting to do even inside the house, huh? I've seen your posts about soot in the yards. That just amazes me. How would you go about cleaning that up?

BTW, I'm SO glad you've been safe throughout this! There will be lots of analysis of what could have/should have been done, but apparently the reverse 911 system worked pretty well. There would have been lots of lives lost without it, apparently.
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #959 on: October 24, 2007, 06:48:56 PM »

I hope Shell and family are OK too. kpbs.org said last night there was a fire near San Clemente and on San Clemente island. Was that true?

Good to see you posting, klaas

If not preempted by the fires, I think today is the day for Donna Jou's parents to be on Dr. Phil.

Don't forget to wash with car detergent or if not dish detergent (it in time takes off the paint) to get the soot off. Soot eats into everything very fast.

They say Firbromyalgia might be caused by chemicals. If so, I spent almost a year in soot... the cleaning co. frauded me, so I had to do it all with the help of a cleaning lady. On plaster with a thirties design it too 45 min for each foot.In the LR I had to pull the plaster off the wood raft.

Klaas, have you thought about one of those portable evaporative coolers (swamp coolers)? I have used them for years. I have one up on a folding chair now, tied down so won't fall on pets or during earthquake... the air goes right over the bed.

On really hot, hot days in the tune can, I put in iced cubes.

If on sale, they might be around 70$ Haven't bought one in a few years.

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.