March 18, 2024, 11:53:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beef recall forces Topps to shut down  (Read 3023 times)
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« on: October 05, 2007, 05:46:05 PM »

I heard and read about this earlier today. 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071005/ap_on_bi_ge/meat_recall_18;_ylt=AtXG8zSwswKKYHBVOmi1IKcL1vAI

By JEFFREY GOLD, AP Business Writer
19 minutes ago

NEWARK, N.J. - Topps Meat Co. on Friday said it was closing its business, six days after it was forced to issue the second-largest beef recall in U.S. history and 67 years after it first opened its doors.

ADVERTISEMENT

The decision will cost 87 people their jobs, Topps said.

On Sept. 25 Topps began recalling frozen hamburger patties that may have been contaminated with the potentially fatal E. coli bacteria strain O157:H7. The recall eventually ballooned to 21.7 million pounds of ground beef.

Thirty people in eight states had E. coli infections matching the strain found in the Topps patties, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported. None have died.

"This is tragic for all concerned," said Topps chief operating officer Anthony D'Urso, a member of the family that founded the company in 1940.

The Topps recall raised questions about whether the U.S. Agriculture Department should have acted quicker to encourage a recall. On Thursday, top USDA officials said they would speed warnings in the future.

Topps conceded that much of the recalled meat had already been eaten, and on Friday expressed regret that its product had been linked to illnesses. "We hope and pray for the full recovery of those individuals," D'Urso said in a statement.

Topps, which halted production Sept. 26, is not the first meat company shuttered by a recall. Hudson Foods Co. closed its plant in Columbus, Neb., after it agreed in 1997 to destroy 25 million pounds of hamburger in the largest U.S. meat recall after E. coli was found in the ground beef. The plant later reopened with new owners.

Topps faces at least two lawsuits filed since the recall, one from the family of an upstate New York girl who became ill, and one seeking class-action status on behalf of all people who bought or ate the hamburgers. The family of a Florida girl who suffered kidney failure sued Wal-Mart Stores Inc., which is among chains that sold Topps patties.

The closing, or any subsequent bankruptcy, does not derail the lawsuits, said William D. Marler, a lawyer for the family of 8-year-old Emily McDonald, of North Colonie, N.Y. She was hospitalized for two days after eating a hamburger Aug. 17 at a barbecue.

"Bankruptcy will slow the process down, but it does not mean that people will not be compensated," Marler said.

The Elizabeth-based company had initially recalled 331,582 pounds of its frozen hamburgers on Sept. 25, acting only after the New York State Department of Health issued an alert linking its patties to illnesses.

Topps on Sept. 29 recalled 21.7 million pounds of its frozen hamburgers — a year's worth of production — after further evidence from the New York State Department of Health indicated a wider problem.

D'Urso said that a few employees will remain at the site to help USDA scientists investigate the source of the E. coli outbreak.

The bacteria, which can be fatal to humans, is harbored in the intestines of cattle and can also get on their hides. Improper butchering and processing can cause the E. coli to get onto meat.

Thorough cooking, to at least 160 degrees internal temperature, can destroy the bacteria.

Topps gets beef parts from slaughterhouses, grinds them, forms the meat into patties and freezes them.

Privately held Topps, which claimed to be the leading U.S. maker of frozen hamburger patties, said it sells its products to supermarkets and institutions such as schools, hospitals, restaurants and hotels.

The CDC reported the number of linked cases in these states: Connecticut, 2; Florida, 1; Indiana, 1; Maine, 1; New Jersey, 7; New York, 9; Ohio, 1; and Pennsylvania, 8.

The recall represents all Topps hamburger products with either a "sell by date" or a "best if used by date" between Sept. 25, 2007 and Sept. 25, 2008. All recalled products also have the USDA establishment number EST 9748, which is on the back panel of the package or in the USDA legend. A full list of the recalled products is available at http://www.toppsmeat.com.

___

On the Net:

Topps: http://www.toppsmeat.com/

USDA: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
SarahD
Scared Monkey

Never give up!

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »

These food recalls scare me.   If you can't trust the makers of your food, who can you trust?  Sad

Have a Sunshine Day!
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 10:35:17 PM »

These food recalls scare me.   If you can't trust the makers of your food, who can you trust?  Sad

Welcome, SarahD...I do not think we have ever met here....We had a box of burgers which we returned after this recall which had 3 burgers already used by our sons & their friends....the articles state that most of the recalled product had already been consumed...makes one very leery...we tend to buy for convenience, but now, reading what is used for these products, I doubt we'll ever use again, and just a week ago having a burger out, I said to my DH...' I keep wondering if this burger is okay'...what a way to live.   

This company has been around since 1940....made burger products for grocers & others that we also bought from....scary...very scary.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
SarahD
Scared Monkey

Never give up!

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 10:48:39 PM »

Thank you for the welcome. I'm pretty new here.  I generally read more then I respond. Smile

These recalls for food have made me realize how sloppy some of our food processors have become.   I'm also concerned with the illegals that work the crops and what sanitary procedures do they follow while handling our vegetables.   Especially considering that lettuce, etc isn't usually cooked when we eat it.

One thing this has done for me is to make me really appreciate my local farmers and I've been buying more local foods and less, imported or processed foods.

I can imagine that it was very scary for you when you realized your sons had already eaten some of the tainted burgers.   I'm glad they are alright.    Fortunately, most healthy people will just get sick and they will be ok.  The people who have the worst of it are elderly and the very young. 

Have a Sunshine Day!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.