April 25, 2024, 11:49:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banquet Pot Pies - warning  (Read 3812 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: October 09, 2007, 06:06:34 PM »

Another food contamination problem:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,300557,00.html

Health Officials Concerned About Salmonella Contamination in ConAgra Pot Pies
Tuesday , October 09, 2007

OMAHA, Neb. —

Several state health departments are telling ConAgra Foods its Banquet pot pies may be linked to cases of salmonella.

But the company says its pies are safe if they're cooked properly. ConAgra officials are working with health authorities to determine whether any more precautions are necessary.

A company spokeswoman says it's especially important to follow the directions when pies are cooked in a microwave, adjusting the time for devices that have less power. She says no recall is planned.

Federal disease control officials are tracking a large salmonella outbreak with cases in several states. It's most often caused by undercooked eggs and chicken.

Earlier this year, ConAgra had to recall all of its peanut butter because it was linked to a different salmonella outbreak.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:26:47 AM »

http://media.conagrafoods.com:80/phoenix.zhtml?c=97518&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1061951&highlight=

ConAgra Foods Recalls All Banquet Pot Pies and Store Brand Pot Pies

OMAHA, Neb.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 11, 2007--ConAgra Foods announced today that it is continuing its efforts to ensure consumer safety by voluntarily recalling all varieties of Banquet brand frozen pot pies and all varieties of store brand frozen pot pies sold under the names of Albertson's, Hill Country Fare, Food Lion, Great Value, Kirkwood, Kroger, Meijer and Western Family.

Earlier this week, ConAgra Foods was contacted by state health officials regarding concerns that some of its Banquet poultry pot pie products may be linked to an outbreak of salmonella. In cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), on Oct. 9, ConAgra Foods directed retailers to remove the poultry pot pies from shelves, suspended pot pie production in its Marshall, Mo., plant and advised consumers to not eat these products and discard these products while an investigation was conducted.

As that investigation continues, ConAgra Foods today voluntarily issued the recall to ensure the utmost clarity for consumers about the fact that they should not eat these products. Additionally, to avoid any confusion on pot pie varieties, ConAgra Foods has simplified the recall to include all Banquet and store brand pot pie varieties, as listed above and at the end of this release.

If they wish, consumers may continue to use the same return process as described on Tuesday. They may return these products to ConAgra Foods for a refund by sending the side panel of the package that contains the UPC code to ConAgra Foods, Dept. BQPP, P.O. Box 3768, Omaha, NE 68103-0768. If consumers prefer, they may return the product to the store from which it was purchased for a refund. Consumers should discard the product prior to returning the entire package or panel containing UPC code to their retail store.

As conveyed earlier this week, ConAgra Foods reminds consumers that these products are not ready-to-eat. Before the product returns to market, the company will revise on-package cooking directions to provide additional clarity on proper preparation by consumers. Proper cooking of all not-ready-to-eat products, including pot pies, is specifically designed to eliminate the presence of common pathogens found in many uncooked products.

Consumers with questions about Banquet or store brand pot pies may call 1-866-484-8671 or contact us online at www.conagrafoods.com/contactus. For more information on food safety, consumers may reference IFIC.org.

The recall includes all Banquet pot pie varieties, including poultry and beef. The store brand not-ready-to-eat pot pie products include all varieties under the following brand names:

--  Albertson's (sold at Albertson's);

--  Hill Country Fare (sold at HEB);

--  Food Lion (sold at Food Lion);

--  Great Value (sold at Wal-Mart);

--  Kirkwood (sold at Aldi);

--  Kroger (sold at Kroger);

--  Meijer (sold at Meijer);

--  Western Family (now discontinued; previously sold at a variety
        of small retailers).
ConAgra Foods Inc. (NYSE:CAG) is one of North America's leading packaged food companies, serving grocery retailers, as well as restaurants and other foodservice establishments. For more information, please visit us at www.conagrafoods.com.

Consumer Toll-Free Line:
             866-484-8671
             or
             Media:
             Stephanie Childs, 402-595-6258
             or
             Analysts:
             Anthony Aguilar, 402-595-4301
             www.conagrafoods.com

SOURCE: ConAgra Foods Inc.

Consumer FAQs-Banquet Pot Pie and Store Brand Pot Pie Recall

What products are included in the recall?

All varieties of Banquet brand frozen pot pies and all varieties of store brand frozen pot pies sold under the names of Albertson's, Hill Country Fare, Food Lion, Great Value, Kirkwood, Kroger, Meijer and Western Family are included in the voluntary recall.

Where are these products sold?

The Banquet brand of frozen pot pies are available nationwide.

The store brand not-ready-to-eat pot pie products are available in certain stores and are sold under the names:

Albertson's (sold at Albertson's);
Hill Country Fare (sold at HEB);
Food Lion (sold at Food Lion);
Great Value (sold at Wal-Mart);
Kirkwood (sold at Aldi);
Kroger (sold at Kroger);
Meijer (sold at Meijer);
Western Family (now discontinued; previously sold at a variety of small retailers).
What should I do? What should I do with this product?
Consumers can either:

Return the empty package to the store from where you purchased it for a refund and discard the product before returning the empty package.
Mail the UPC code (bar code) with your name and address for a refund to:
ConAgra Foods
Department BQPP
P.O. Box 3768
Omaha, NE 68103

Discard it (throw it away).
I've tried returning the product to the store and they will not refund my money (either due to no receipt or simply refusing to refund the product).

We would be more than happy to refund you for this product. Please mail the the UPC code (bar code), along with your name and address to:

ConAgra Foods
Dept. BQPP
P.O. Box 3768
Omaha, NE 68103
This refund will include your postage. Please allow 6-8 weeks to receive your refund.

Why didn't the company recall these products initially?

Since the first announcement on Oct. 9, ConAgra Foods has advised consumers to not eat these products in order to help ensure consumer safety, and the recall of Oct. 11 helped us provide additional clarity around the fact that consumers should not eat these products.

What is Salmonella and what are the risks? What are the symptoms of salmonella?

According to the CDC, the Salmonella germ is actually a group of bacteria that can cause diarrhea illness in humans. It can be passed from the feces of people or animals to other people or animals. Most people infected with salmonella develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps within 12 hours to 72 hours. The illness usually lasts four days to seven days, and most people recover without treatment. Additionally, the CDC states that while many raw foods of animal origin are frequently contaminated, thorough cooking kills Salmonella.

What are the symptoms of salmonella in humans?

Most people infected with salmonella develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps within 12 hours to 72 hours. The illness usually lasts four days to seven days, and most people recover without treatment.

For more information about salmonella, visit www.ific.org.
If I have been sick or know someone who has been sick, what do I do?

Please call 1-866-484-8671 for further assistance.

How do you know if a product has been contaminated by Salmonella?

Contaminated foods usually look and smell normal. Additionally, the CDC states that while many raw foods of animal origin are frequently contaminated, thorough cooking kills Salmonella.

Are you recalling any products other than Banquet Pot Pies ( i.e., Banquet Salisbury Steak Dinner, Marie Callender's pot pies)?

No other Banquet products are affected. In addition, this recall does not include Marie Callender's pot pies.

I heard that all Banquet products with the code 5009 are being recalled . . . Is this true?

No. This recall only applies only to all varieties of Banquet brand frozen pot pies and all varieties of store brand frozen pot pies sold under the names of Albertson's, Hill Country Fare, Food Lion, Great Value, Kirkwood, Kroger, Meijer and Western Family are included in the voluntary recall.

How did this happen?

ConAgra Foods continues to work with the USDA to investigate this issue. However, in the interest of consumer safety, we made a decision to voluntarily recall these products.

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:03:17 AM »

Thank you for posting this.  Again, with this recall, our local ShopRite called and left a message stating that their records (Price Plus Card) showed we may have purchased the pot pies and were welcome to return them for refund.  Because this was posted earlier than the call, I had already checked the ConAgra site for instructions.  As your post states, I removed the panel with the date & code and threw away the product.  Yesterday, I went shopping but forgot the panels, but inquired at the service desk if they'd accept just the panels.  The girl checked with the manager and told me they would on my next visit.

Oddly, Banquet is not a brand of choice.  I only purchased them because Swanson was not stocked and always keep some sort of frozen meals in the freezer, just in case.  Yesterday, I couldn't bring myself to purchase anything frozen except vegetables & ice cream, which we seldom buy.  Laughing

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 11:19:20 AM »

It's getting harder and harder to know what to buy.  It's like spinning the roulette wheel.  Even some tofu was recalled  about a week ago!  I wonder now, when I reach up on the shelves at the store if I will later regret the purchase because my family may get sick from what I buy and prepare for them.  Sad Salad, meat patties, pot pies...

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 11:35:54 AM »

It's getting harder and harder to know what to buy.  It's like spinning the roulette wheel.  Even some tofu was recalled  about a week ago!  I wonder now, when I reach up on the shelves at the store if I will later regret the purchase because my family may get sick from what I buy and prepare for them.  Sad Salad, meat patties, pot pies...

Exactly, MuffyBee.  you worry about washing things well enough, cooking them well enough besides all of this other hidden contamination stuff.   

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 12:12:48 PM »

That's exactly why I decided to create this special section for recalls, seems like a new one every day! 
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 01:29:47 PM »

That's exactly why I decided to create this special section for recalls, seems like a new one every day! 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 11:33:02 PM »

Oh no!!!!! Those are delicious suculent pies.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.