April 19, 2024, 06:18:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monkey Musings Daily Open Discussion #8 10/24 - 11/19/2007  (Read 215229 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2007, 02:58:38 PM »

Hello you all. On a lappy and not used to this. I will be brief but will share this experience in greater detail at a later date. We lost our home and everything we own. We got out with a few articles of clothing and our 4 pets. Stayed in an evacuation center a few days are are now in a nice hotel. Everyone has been so kind to us. Will get back to discuss more when I can.  pray for everyone in S Cal. Love, Shell

SHELL - I'm so sorry you lost everything.  Thank god you, your husband and pets are OK.  I was affraid your home was in one of the hardest hit areas.

I'll continue to pray for you. 
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2007, 03:03:34 PM »

Hello you all. On a lappy and not used to this. I will be brief but will share this experience in greater detail at a later date. We lost our home and everything we own. We got out with a few articles of clothing and our 4 pets. Stayed in an evacuation center a few days are are now in a nice hotel. Everyone has been so kind to us. Will get back to discuss more when I can.  pray for everyone in S Cal. Love, Shell

Shell, I am happy to hear that you and your family safe and very so sorry to hear you lost everything.

I will keep you in my prayers.
snoopy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2007, 03:22:59 PM »

Shell I'm so glad that you and your loved ones are safe.  So so sorry about your home.  I'm glad the insurance company is doing right by you.  You're in my prayers.  Please give us updates when you can.  Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you are doing.  If there is anything your monkey buddies can do for you please let us know.  We're always here for each other.  We've become our own little family.  Natalee has touched our lives in ways she'll never know.

God Bless.
nuntukamen
Scared Monkey

« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2007, 04:17:08 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the "popping". Anyone?

I guess they burst into flames, so the popping is the sound of the small explosions when they ignite.  Just a guess. 

in ohio we were taught that the popping sound came from moist or "green" wood...living wood, as the heat caused the moisture to boil and burst within the wood

life is what happens while you are planning other things...john lennon
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2007, 05:09:35 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305676,00.html

Pets Remain Priority for Displaced Californians Fleeing Homes From Wildfires
Saturday , October 27, 2007

By Sara Bonisteel

DEL MAR, Calif. —

Troyann Chappell needed help this week when she evacuated from Spring Valley to flee the fires. Not only did she have to get her 92-year-old friend Adele MacAdam out, she also had to take with her 14 cats, two dogs, three rats, a cockatoo and a parakeet.

Hers was a plight facing many displaced Californians who couldn't bear leaving home without their pets. What they found were shelters willing to accommodate the animals along with the people.

"It was quite a variety," said Amy Maher, the board chairwoman of Noah's Wish, a pet charity that sent 30 personnel to Qualcomm Stadium Monday night. "People evacuated everything: chickens, ducks, dogs, cats, horses, llamas, goats. We had a lot of birds."

Noah's Wish, which has provided assistance for other natural disasters such as Hurricane Katrina, offered shelter for around 200 animals at the stadium and provided food, water and veterinary assistance for evacuees and their pets.

Maher said evacuees heeded the warning that if it's not safe for them, it's not safe for their pets.

"A lot of people took that to heart and got them out of there which is a really good thing," she said.

Veterinarian Dr. Richard Tramp took in about 40 horses and their owners at his horse breeding business, Exclusively Equine Reproduction in Valley Center, Calif.

"People had gone through it before and just knew it was time to move," Tramp said.

In San Diego County, the nation's most horse-populated county, moving the equines to safety was a priority.

Del Mar Fairgrounds, which doubles as a racetrack, stabled around 1,900 horses with many of the owners bunking in the jockey quarters.

"As of Monday afternoon, for the first time ever in history, we started taking human evacuations with their domestic pets – dogs, cats, all kinds of things," said Kina Paegert, a spokeswoman for the fairgrounds.

Though many had gone home by Friday, Paegert expected several hundred new equine evacuees from San Clemente in Orange County Saturday.

That's where Chappell bunked Friday night with her pets – including 7-week-old kittens she hopes to give up for adoption, her daughter and MacAdam. The group had traveled north from Qualcomm when it closed Friday.

At Del Mar, the humans lounged on cots next to the animals, which slept in cages donated by Noah's Wish.

"They're doing pretty good," Chappell said of her pets. "I'm sure they would like to be out. Every time I open the door to feed and water 'em they want to get out. I hold them and pet them and try to give each of them a few minutes."

They'll return, she said, once they get the all-clear

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2007, 05:53:22 PM »

I'm not sure I understand the "popping". Anyone?

I guess they burst into flames, so the popping is the sound of the small explosions when they ignite.  Just a guess. 

in ohio we were taught that the popping sound came from moist or "green" wood...living wood, as the heat caused the moisture to boil and burst within the wood

Orange trees do this too when they freeze.  The expanded fluids in the tree usually cause them to burst and it makes a very loud sound of cracking noise.. the wood splintering.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
NYC_lover
Monkey Junky Jr.

The Mercedes GL

« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2007, 07:35:11 PM »

Buenas noches/good evening all.

How is everbody doing tonight?
Just good news, tonight a hour longer sleep.....  Very Happy Laughing

I am glad hear this media attention from the Netherlands. ‘Recherche verdraait informatie te vaak’
Investigators in a black breach and again a bad name of the Dutch police. It smells again to Corrpution and a negative researching in missing persons cases
NYC_lover
Monkey Junky Jr.

The Mercedes GL

« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2007, 07:39:21 PM »

http://www.details-worktools.com/product_details.php?pid=740

Product Combines Workstation, Treadmill

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20071026/D8SH56HO0.html

The Walkstation is the fully integrated combination of an electric height-adjustable worksurface with an exclusively engineered, low speed commercial grade treadmill. And it’s the first product in the entirely new FitWork™ category of products from Details designed to bring healthy habits to sedentary workers while they are actually working.

WoW cool. Good work!  Smile..... I want take that in my house over few years....  Razz

I am glad hear this media attention from the Netherlands. ‘Recherche verdraait informatie te vaak’
Investigators in a black breach and again a bad name of the Dutch police. It smells again to Corrpution and a negative researching in missing persons cases
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2007, 08:49:37 PM »

Photo from Thursday when the air was still filled with smoke:  Sad

Same shot taken this evening - no more smoke and some clouds in the sky   Very Happy

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2007, 09:02:35 PM »

Klaas that certainly shows improvement.  When you posted the smokey picture the first time, I felt my chest tighten and could hardly breathe just looking at it.  Thank you for the before and after photos.  I hope folks can get their lives back together in Cali soon.  I'm sorry Shell lost her house, but am grateful she escaped with her life.  Are you still doing a lot of clean up Klaas?

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2007, 09:08:01 PM »

Klaas that certainly shows improvement.  When you posted the smokey picture the first time, I felt my chest tighten and could hardly breathe just looking at it.  Thank you for the before and after photos.  I hope folks can get their lives back together in Cali soon.  I'm sorry Shell lost her house, but am grateful she escaped with her life.  Are you still doing a lot of clean up Klaas?

We are still cleaning but seeing light at the end of the tunnel now  Laughing  We didn't want to do too much until we were sure the wind and smoke were done with.

I feel so bad for Shell though   Sad
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 12:58:00 AM by klaasend » Logged
Observer
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2007, 12:10:32 AM »

Jerry Seinfeld on Halloween   Very Happy

http://www.jibjab.com/view/207630

"I lied and thats the truth"--Joran Van Der Sloot
Jerry from Ohio
Monkey Junky Jr.

mom always said that I was cute as a Bunny <g>

« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2007, 12:42:39 AM »

Wink ?? :+(  what was that about ?
  I am thinking and hoping it was a typo.,
or that I just misunderstood the meaning .
    Shell , my prayers and good thoughts are with you your family and also for your pets.         
   Jerry from Ohio   

I feel so bad for Shell though  Wink
[/quote]

Old Jer from Ohio
" I'm wild and a little crazy too ! 
 Some Girls don't  like boys like me  ,AWE, But some girls do  !

IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/jerryfromOhio/Howdy.jpg[/IMG]
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2007, 12:59:16 AM »

Shell , my prayers and good thoughts are with you your family and also for your pets.         
   Jerry from Ohio   

I feel so bad for Shell though   Sad  (fixed by klaasend)
[/quote]

Typo that I just fixed.  Thanks for pointing that out Jerry. 
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2007, 07:32:58 AM »

Very funny...Never been hit with a bat but ive had kittens running full speed and jumping off my forehead at 3am Laughing

Must be a 'guy' thing ******* Laughing

My hubby said the same thing -- he thought it was really funny -- up to the baseball bat.

He thought it was very realistic until that part  Laughing

I can see that i've had cats waaaaaaayyyyyy longer than you 2  Very Happy Laughing

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2007, 07:38:57 AM »

Shell -- I'm so sorry for your troubles.

But I am very happy that you checked in to tell us that you and your family are safe. That is what matters.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
Jerry from Ohio
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2007, 10:19:04 AM »

Not a problem Klaas,  It just didn't fit in there nor did it fit your loving caring ways that's why It stuck out to me  and yup I know some of those Lil guy's ( smileys )  are hard to see.
  am glad you took in the spirit in which it was intended .
  Hugs to the Klaas woman .   :+)   

Jerry from Ohio   

I feel so bad for Shell though   Sad  (fixed by klaasend)

Typo that I just fixed.  Thanks for pointing that out Jerry. 
[/quote]

Old Jer from Ohio

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2007, 11:31:36 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305704,00.html

Americans Found Dead in Hong Kong Hotel May Have Taken Date Rape Drug
Sunday , October 28, 2007

HONG KONG —

Two Americans found dead in a Hong Kong luxury hotel might have ingested the date rape drug Rohypnol, a newspaper reported Sunday, citing police.

The men — whom police identified by single names only, Paul and Richard aged 45 and 51 — were found dead in a room at the Grand Hyatt hotel on Friday afternoon.

The Sunday Morning Post, citing unnamed police sources, said the two men were found with white froth coming from their mouth.

The report said the case may have been an attempted robbery that went wrong involving the use of "date rape" drug flunitrazepam — a sedative sold as Rohypnol.

Police refused to confirm whether the two men were seen returning to the hotel with two women, saying "all options" were being considered, the paper reported.

Hong Kong police declined to confirm the report Sunday, saying more toxicology tests were needed.

"A post-mortem examination failed to find out the cause of their deaths, so more toxicology tests are being carried out," said a police spokeswoman who requested her name not be used due to policy.

The case was still classified as a "dead body found," she added.

In recent years, there has been a rash of cases reported to police in which men who went out in Hong Kong's lively nightlife district Wan Chai woke up the next morning apparently robbed — and with no recollection of what happened.

Rohypnol, commonly known as a date-rape drug, has sedative and hypnotic effects. People attacked, robbed or raped while under its influence can regain their senses with no memory of the assault.

Dale Kreschler, press officer for the U.S. Consulate in Hong Kong, said he could not comment on the case due to privacy concerns.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2007, 11:47:02 AM »

Laughing Laughing

Captain Underpants Ruins Halloween on LI

Oct 28, 4:57 AM (ET)

LONG BEACH, N.Y. (AP) - Call it the Misadventure of Captain Underpants and the Peeved Principal.

A suburban Long Island high school has banned all Halloween costumes after three senior girls showed up last year dressed as the underwear-baring subject of a series of best-selling children's books.

Long Beach High School Principal Nicholas Restivo, who sent the three seniors home to change last year, said the episode solidified his sense that the school's costume tradition was disruptive.

For the Captain Underpants costumes, the three girls donned beige leotards and nude stockings under white briefs and red capes to portray the superhero, who has battled such foes as talking toilets. To Restivo, the appearance was that the girls were naked.

"I'm being a principal. I'm not being an ogre," Restivo said.

He added that some gory costumes could make some students uncomfortable.

Some students don't see it that way. They are circulating a petition opposing the costume crackdown.

"It's one thing if the school won't let us wear outfits that are revealing or inappropriate, but if it is an innocent Halloween costume, we should be allowed to wear it," said junior Meghan Beck.

Jerry from Ohio
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2007, 11:53:29 AM »

OMGosh Klaas   that is precious,  I had never heard of Capt Underpants  until now LOL  He must not have rode  the same Rodeo circuit as I did  ROFLMAO !!!   Too funny  Thanks  Klaas

Laughing Laughing

Captain Underpants Ruins Halloween on LI

Oct 28, 4:57 AM (ET)

LONG BEACH, N.Y. (AP) - Call it the Misadventure of Captain Underpants and the Peeved Principal.

A suburban Long Island high school has banned all Halloween costumes after three senior girls showed up last year dressed as the underwear-baring subject of a series of best-selling children's books.

Long Beach High School Principal Nicholas Restivo, who sent the three seniors home to change last year, said the episode solidified his sense that the school's costume tradition was disruptive.

For the Captain Underpants costumes, the three girls donned beige leotards and nude stockings under white briefs and red capes to portray the superhero, who has battled such foes as talking toilets. To Restivo, the appearance was that the girls were naked.

"I'm being a principal. I'm not being an ogre," Restivo said.

He added that some gory costumes could make some students uncomfortable.

Some students don't see it that way. They are circulating a petition opposing the costume crackdown.

"It's one thing if the school won't let us wear outfits that are revealing or inappropriate, but if it is an innocent Halloween costume, we should be allowed to wear it," said junior Meghan Beck.

Old Jer from Ohio

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.